Start by marking “King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)” as Want to Read:
King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)

King of Fools

(The Shadow Game #2)

Indulge your vices in the City of Sin, where a sinister street war is brewing and fame is the deadliest killer of them all...

On the quest to find her missing mother, prim and proper Enne Salta became reluctant allies with Levi Glaisyer, the city’s most famous con man. Saving his life in the Shadow Game forced Enne to assume the identity of Seance, a mysterious underworld f
Published April 30th 2019 by Inkyard Press

Win a Copy of This Book

King of Fools
    Release date: Jul 28, 2020
    Enter to win 1 of 5 Finished Copies of King of Fools by Amanda Foody!

“A rich, satisfying, complicated story. One of the best fantasy series I’ve read

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2923 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 01 - Jul 30, 2020

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about King of Fools, please sign up.

Start your review of King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)
    megs_bookrack

((hand clap))

AMANDA FOOOOOOODYYYY!!!!

((tears))

Pronouncement:

I will never be the same again.

RESPECT.

Picking up directly after the events of Ace of Shades, this book, the second in the Shadow Game Trilogy, is so full of action and political intrigue it left my head spinning!

We see the return of our favorite characters, Enne, Levi, Lola and Jac, and get to meet some great new characters as well; most notable for me, Tock. I love her!

New deals, alliances
    High Lady of The Night Court
    May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: fantasy-read
    “Because the hero of one story is the villain of someone else’s. It’s all just a matter of who wins.”

King of Fools was so much more than I more was expecting from this world. It was so much more complicated and the sheer amount of things that happened in this book is unbelievable. There was not a single moment that wasn't packed with plot and not a single moment which was slow.

The relationship between all the characters evolves so much and just as new relations and made old ones can be brok
    chai ♡

̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
    Emma Giordano
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4.5 Stars!

I received a copy of this book from Inkyard Press. I had no obligation to read or review this book and all opinions are my own.
    sarah xoxo
    Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    #1.) Ace of Shades ★★★★.5
    #2.) King of Fools ★★★★

Amanda Foody is quickly becoming one of my favourite YA fantasy authors and I am so happy about it! While not quite as fast paced and fun as its predecessor, King of Fools is a solid sequel and I can't wait for the third book.

Second book syndrome is real but for the most part, I think this book didn't fall prey to the unfortunate trend. It was long, and did drag at times but overall this book did an incredible job of taking the characters, world a
    Beth
    Apr 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: own-to-read
    27.04.18

I just finished Ace of Shades;

1. You can't end there like that.
    2. Please see above.
    3. I need more.
    4. 2019?!
    5. Amanda Foody, if you want to give me a copy ASAP, thankssss xoxoxoxxo

I CAN'T WAIT
    -----------
    14.07.18
    We have a cover and it’s blue and I looooooove it
    ————-
    Helena of Eretz ✰
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

Everything that could’ve gone wrong DID. All of my babies are suffering and I’m so, so sad. Can I just treat this book as a hoax? This can’t possibly be how everything went down.

I need the finale NOW!
    julianna ➹
    1. Ace of Shades ★★★★★
    2. King of Fools ★★★★★
    3. Untitled

This was so much cleverness and un-subtle feminism— and I love it so much. Amanda said that this was her girl gang book and she is not wrong, at all. Why is this called King of Fools when it should be called Badassery.jpg?

you: Second Book Syndrome

misogynists: h-
    kicking in the door

people who hate on strong girl characters:
    kicking in the door

If someone wanted to call her naive, then they would. If someone wanted to call her heartless, then
    Silvia
    May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: sent-for-review, arc
    I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

King of Fools was one of my most anticipated sequels this year and I was not disappointed. Am I mad a this book and at Amanda Foody? Oh, hell yes. But I loved every second of it.

I believe that, in trilogies, second books should feel completely different from book one, and then book three should be an expansion of book two. We'll see what book three has in store for us,
    Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
    Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: own
    I liked this sequel. Unfortunately there was just a lot of romance coupling, angst and not a whole lot of magic. I’m curious how the third book will wrap up the story!
    Lia (booksnpenguins)
    I need to reread Ace of Shades asap so I can start this one!
    Lauren Lanzilotta
    4.5 stars for how violated King of Fools left me feeling. Amanda Foody, you sly fox, how dare you do this to us?

“Don’t let your fallen heroes stop you from wanting to become one.”

After the events of Ace of Shades, Levi and Enne have got large bounties on their heads. The faces of the Irons, Doves and Scarhands are in the papers for everyone to see, except Enne’s identity remains unknown, leaving only her assumed role ‘Seance’ for the public to ponder over. In hope of regaining their freedom,
    Hope Elizabeth Anderson (HopelessBookAddict)
    Dnf at chapter 32. I thought I was going to love this since I loved ace of shades but this just felt forced and longggggg. I lost all interest.
    sam ☆
    Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fantasy-read, owned
    blood, scheming, betrayal, plot twists oh my. This book really went all out. The reason i’m only giving this a 4.5 ⭐️ is because i kept getting confused in between and it could’ve been my fault or the writing i’m really not sure but other than that this book delivered and reached my expectations. The character growth for Erienne was tremendous and honestly if you compare her character in the first book to this one you’ll find few similarities. I love the representation and i found it quite uniqu ...more
    Cindy ✩☽♔
    Me the first 30-40% of the book:
    giphyc295831fe54b8c3c.gif

Me the remainder of the book:
    tenor6641d5208deab763.gif

I think it's about time I realized this series just might not be for me. Because when I think dark, when I think gangsters, I do not think this book AT ALL. It's like my main issue with the first book became even more apparent to me here. That these aren't gangsters. These are kids in way over their head.

The writing itself is not bad, but I just could not bring myself to care much about anything that was happening.

The only t
    Darinda
    May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, ya-fantasy
    The second book in The Shadow Game series by Amanda Foody. This book picks up where the first book, Ace of Shadows, ended.

Favorite characters are back (Enne, Levi, Jac) and new characters are introduced. The characters in this series are so intriguing. This novel is told using multiple points of view, which gives insight into several characters. I especially love the strong female characters.

The fun thing about this series is the politics in New Reynes. With so many people trying to be in power,
    prag ♻
    • the wildest part of this reading experience was Ju accidentally guessing the ending in the first chapter
    • SAPPHIC LOLA SANGUICK!! (i called it)
    • #girlgangbook lives UP
    • i love girls
    • feMINism yeAh
    • levi?? jac?? everything?? IT'S SO WELL WRITTEN
    • enne <33333
    Alice
    May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
    Candace Robinson
    ARC received via publisher!
    The Nerd Daily
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Portia Brown

King of Fools by Amanda Foody is the second book in her The Shadow Game trilogy. A sequel often tends to suffer from second-book-syndrome, but this one felt like a totally different book in comparison to the first book, Ace of Shades. The first book felt more like its own original story while the second successfully expands on the sto
    Iris

NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONO

I'M NOT OKAY

THAT ENDING WAS NOT COOL

I AM IN PAIN. A LOT OF PAIN
    Kal ★ Reader Voracious
    While this review is spoiler-free, if you haven't read Ace of Shades yet, I'd recommend not reading this review or book synopsis as both have spoilers for book 1.
    "Oaths, omertas, Chainers - there's a reason so many in the North Side favor such weapons. New Reynes killed the queen the very day she hoped to negotiate peace. The City of Sin was built on duplicity."
    Friends, this was one of my most highly anticipated sequels of 2019 and Foody did not disappoint! There is a lot going on in
    Esmée van der Weide
    ''I think it takes more strength to be vulnerable than it does to appear invincible.''

Amanda Foody wrote another breathtaking book that just tore my heart out. It was beautiful, painful, emotional, entertaining and so much more. I very much enjoyed this book and it was in several ways better than book one. The ending was even more exciting than the one of Ace of Shades and it seems really promising for the finale.

The plot was tailored perfectly. The story picked up right after the ending of boo
    booksneedcaffeinetoo
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT IS RELEASE DAY.
    YOU ALL GET TO READ ABOUT THE GIRL GANG
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 13, 2019
    Wow. Somehow I got approved for the eARC. I guess this is where I add that disclaimer?
    Thank you Netgalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Did I do that right?

"The hero of one story is the villain of someone else's. It's all just a matter of who wins."

This book picks up right where Ace of Shades left off. And right from the get go things are int
    Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader
    Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    4.5 stars!! And you can check out my full review here

“The city felt like the hush before a stage curtain lifted, but what the city waited for was war.”

The previous novel in this series, Ace of Shades, is one of my all time favorites and I’ve read it a couple of times. This was everything I could have hoped for in a sequel, and more, but I didn’t enjoy it quite as much because it was a bit slower paced. It was still a fantastic read, albeit a long one, so I ended up giving it 4.5 stars.

First and
    Alaina
    Wow, it has been a while since I've read the first book of this little series. Yet, I still didn't reread that book and just dove into this one.

King of Fools was a good book. I loved the audio but I have no idea how I would feel if I actually read the ebook or physical at this point. Mostly because I'm at work, super busy (there's absolutely nothing for me to do) and yet.. I'm constantly getting distracted. Super happy I didn't have a buddy for this because I would be making up comments left an
    Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
    If you haven't read Ace of Shades, you probably don't want to read this review.  There are spoilers from book one.

I've had a lot going on in my personal life lately, and it has made it hard to focus on books.  But I still ended up loving this.

King of Fools starts off right where Ace of Shades ends.  Enne and Levi are wanted for murder and Vianca's son, Harrison, has come back home.  Harrison approaches Levi with a deal that ends with Vianca dead.  Harrison is running for office against Vianca's
    Scrill
    May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ya, fantasy, romance

Reviews like this can also be found on my blog, Vicariously & Voraciously

With the shadow game over, Enne & Levi are both wanted for murder. Now they must not only survive not getting caught, but they need to build (or rebuild) successful gangs on the north side of New Reynes. Gambling with everything they have may bring on their downfall, but may also gain them freedom from the one who basically owns them.

The Story-
    I was so happy to be in this world! I love how the story has become so much more
    Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
    You can find this review and others on my blog shades of paper

“For Levi, when the cards no longer ran in his favor, he cheated – simple as that. Luck was a mechanism to be devised, and luck and destiny were merely two sides of the same coin.”

After completely falling in love last year with Ace of Shades, I was so anticipating its sequel, and it was one of my most anticipated releases of this year. I had such high expectations, and though I didn’t love it as much as the first installme
    Lauren Elise
    May 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: beautiful-covers
    Pre-Reading Updates

3/5/2018: *in W2S’s voice* IT’S BLUE!!! IT’S BLUUUEEE!!!!!

• Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
    • Sorcery of Thorns
    • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
    • Finale (Caraval, #3)
    • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
    • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
    • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
    • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
    • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
    • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
    • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
    • House of Salt and Sorrows
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
    • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
    Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After a double life as an accountant preparing taxes for multinational corporations, she now spends her free time brewing and fermenting foods much more easily obtained at her local grocery store. She lives in Boston, MA with a hoard of books guarded by the most vicious of feline companions, Jelly Bean.

She is the auth

The Shadow Game (3 books)
    • Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)
    • Queen of Volts (The Shadow Game, #3)