Start by marking “No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1)” as Want to Read:
No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1)

No Time to Cry

(DC Constance Fairchild #1)

From one of the UK's biggest crime writers - the man brought you the bestselling Inspector McLean novels - comes a phenomenal new series guaranteed to have your heart in your mouth.

Published July 26th 2018 by Wildfire

To ask other readers questions about No Time to Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Time to Cry

Paromjit
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James Oswald has branched out into a new series after his wonderful Edinburgh DI McLean books. His new protagonist is 30 year old DC Constance Fairchild, always Con and never Connie. Set in London, it is narrated in the first person and it does not take long before I was completely immersed in and intrigued by Con, she is compelling, independent, feisty and has a determination and audacity she is going to need to survive. Working undercover to target criminals from an office in a shabby part of ...more
Gary
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the 1st book in the new series featuring DC Constance (Con) Fairchild by author James Oswald. I have read and enjoyed the popular Inspector McLean series by Oswald so was eagerly waiting to read this one and was not disappointed.
When undercover cop DC Constance Fairchild returns to their base she discovers the dead body of her boss and friend DI Pete Copperthwaite. He has been executed with a single shot to the head. Someone in the Met is determined to make sure that blame for the faile
Ellen
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Time to Cry by James Oswald.

It is on extremely rare occasion that have more than one series by the same author that I become entranced with. This is one of those extremely rare occasions. I started this book with doubts about it matching up to the Tony McLean series. Put all your doubts aside. This new series does not have to equal that first series as it stands alone.

Constance Fairchild(DC) and her partner Pete Copperthwaite (DI) are working undercover on as dangerous a mission/surveillance
Kate
Well... This is flippin' brilliant! It took me a few chapters to grow accustomed to DC Constance Fairchild and then, BOOM!, I realised I'd fallen for her very deeply. This is a beautifully written, complex and thoroughly rewarding crime novel, which also displays that certain something extra that you'd expect from the author of the fantastic Inspector McLean series. I suspect I will love this new series every bit as much. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Craig Sisterson
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, crime, scottish
After eight books in his very good Inspector McLean series, Scottish author James Oswald takes crime readers in a new direction, with both a new series character and a new location: London instead of Edinburgh. There's no need for any trepidation from long-time fans, as Oswald demonstrates that he's a quality storyteller regardless of the hero or setting, not just an author wedded to a popular character.

We're dropped right into it straight away, as cop Constance (Con, never Connie) Fairchild goe
Stephen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed this crime thriller which is the start of a new series and Oswald doesn't disappoint at all. this novel is mainly set in London which is a change from the other oswalds books but do like the change of scenery.
Julie Lacey
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start to a new series.
The book begins with the discovery of a Detective’s body and Constance, or Con, is under suspicion as she was the one to find the body and worked closely with him.
Con is confused by everyone’s attitude towards her and when she is suspended, she is speechless.
Someone then tries to kill Con and she realises there’s more to Pete’s death than meets the eye.
Con is then approached by an old school friend who asks for her help to find her sister, who seems to h
Thebooktrail
I admit to being a bit dubious about reading the new James Oswald - the king of police thrillers with supernatural overtones set in Edinburgh now writing about the undercover police in London? Well have no fear, as he jumps down to the England capital with ease. His London is a vague one - no real locations to speak off but a nice sense of the city and its chaotic streets, back room offices of the met and the struggles of tailing someone in a crowds of millions.

I did like the character of Consta
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

Gripping, complex, and interesting (and featuring a brilliant new detective), this looks like the start of what's set to be a brilliant new series by James Oswald. I haven't read his Inspector McLean series but have heard great things, so I'm glad this lived up to that as such an enjoyable read.

Main character Constance (DC Fairchild) is brilliant - fiesty, inependent but with a sensitive side too, she's a brilliant character to follow and, though she can be sp
peggy
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a few books from this author and I have never been disappointed.
I am glad to say that his new release is of the same calibre.
I loved the Inspector MacLean series and this new series with DC Constance Fairchild is definitely wanting me to read more.
This is a real page turner, has complex plotting and honestly just kept me thoroughly entertained.
Now I am eagerly awaiting the next in this fantastic new series.
A really really good crime thriller.
I would like to thank the autho
Todd Simpson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant new series. I was already a big fan of James Oswald’s writing from his Tony McLean series which are all amazing books. This story really captured my attention in the first chapter. Con Fairchild is a great character, and she is certainly under pressure from everyone around her. I also enjoyed how many things were happening throughout the book, and I had no idea how the story was going to finish.
Detective Constable Constance ‘Con’ Fairchild wasn’t expecting to find her boss shot in the
David Gooch
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to say that having read the Inspector McLean series I went into this new series with a new lead character with slight trepidation but need not have worried as a good author is always a good author.

This book is about a female undercover officer in the met, DC Constance (Con) Fairchild. It follows her story and is read in the first person through her. It starts with her undercover op going awry as her boss on the op is killed and she finds him. Pulled from the case and now under suspicion o
Ronja
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I din't like it to begin with, but am glad I stuck with it. It's one of those that grow on you. The Inspector McLean series is much better, but I think this one has great potential.
Joanna Park
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No Time To Cry is a fantastic start to a new series by James Oswald, an author I’ve heard lots about but have never read until now.

The story starts straight away with one of the most hard hitting openings I’ve read. I felt immediately drawn into the story and the action, intrigued as to what happenned. What follows is a very action packed, dark novel which is quite gruesome in places. Oswald definitely knows how to set a scene and the graphic descriptions made the story seem very real. I definit
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
My Rating ~ 4.5*

Constance Fairchild has worked for over five years in the police department. Now a Detective Constable working undercover, Constance’s choice of occupation has never pleased her family. Coming from wealth, Constance was private schooled and it was always thought by her father that she would marry within their circle and she would become a good wife. But this was never the life
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Constance Fairchild’s life is turned upside down when she discovers the body of her boss in their undercover premises. She also has her suspicions confirmed that he was her only friend amongst the team that she works with. To make matters worse, she is also suspended, accused of being responsible for his death. With too much time on her hands she gets involved in the disappearance of somebody who she knows from home.
Con, she hates being called Connie, is a very strong character. You often read a
Anetq
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime_fiction
Constance gets caught up in a mess; her boss is dead, the whole police department and internal affairs) are trying to blame it on her, and then there is the family friend begging her to find her missing sister... (And that's before she get's abducted) actually she has very few people on her side - mostly the ghost of her former boss.
It's a good start to a new series, the talking ghost keeps a low profile, so it's proper crime fiction, not veering off into fantasy or scifi (thank you!)
Elaine Tomasso
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Headline for an advance copy of No Time to Cry, the first novel to feature DC Con(stance) Fairchild of the Met.

Con has been working on an undercover sting when she walks into the fake office and finds her boss, DI Pete Copperthwaite tied to a chair and shot dead. Con is immediately suspended pending an investigation but is bewildered as to why she is being scapegoated and even more so when someone tries to kill her.

I thoroughly enjoyed No Time to Cry which is
Linda
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent start to a brand new series from James Oswald. He is a terrific writer and is up there with the likes of Anne Cleeves and Ian Rankin.
DC Constance Fairchild receives a text from her boss to go to the office, the office that is actually a front for a sting operation they are in the middle of. When Con arrives Pete, her boss is dead, shot through the head execution style. Con soon becomes the main suspect and is suspended from duty. When someone tries to kill her, Con decides she
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let's get this out of the way: I think James Oswald could write a shopping list and it would be a four-to-five star read. The man's just that good. He can do characterisation, he can do plot, and he makes it look easy.

I shall now stop gushing and tell you what I didn't like about the book, since that's often more interesting.

Firstly, it was really easy to tell who the goodies and baddies were. This is because all the male characters (except the dead guy) were baddies (or at least a bit wet, so y
Bruce Hatton
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-crime
I’ve always enjoyed reading the author’s series of books centered around Edinburgh-based DI Tony McLean. Even though this book features a new protagonist, the standard of writing is as high as ever.
Whilst they both are conducting an undercover operation, Detective Constable Constance “Con” Fairchild discovers the murdered body of her boss and best friend DI Pete Copperthwaite. To make matters even worse, Con is suspended from duty and subjected to an internal investigation, suggesting that, in s
Sue
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller
This is a police procedural novel with a difference - the main character is Lady Constance Fairchild (although she keeps the 'Lady' bit a secret from her colleagues, for good reason. She is extremely tough, intuitive and quick thinking, and she can see and talk to the ghost of her dead boss and friend (Pete), while being fully aware that he is not real and is a projection of her subconscious mind.

On the first page Pete is murdered but we soon realise that there is more to his death than a case o
Trevor Snape
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new character, a new location from the author who always puts a bit of the supernatural into his crime novels. The new character is DC Constance Fairchild, the new location is London and the writing is of the highest order. A few of the characteristics of the brilliant Inspector McLean novels are carried over to this new series, there is a cat but it only plays a small part in this first novel, there is a transgender man with the name Rose, ring any bells, it should if you are a fan of McLean. ...more
P.R.
Outstanding. Having read the entire, brilliant Inspector McLean series, I was worried that this could not possibly live up to the high standard of its rivals. I needn't have, as this book every bit as good, although in a slightly different way. How? I'm not telling - you must read it and find out for yourselves why I'm champing at the bit for the next.
Five stars.
Would I read it again? I'm almost doing so right now!
Danny Molyneux
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Slow to start but worth the wait. Looking forward to more with Constance at the centre of things.....
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read!

The characters are well written and seem to jump off the pages! I felt that the story flowed very naturally and was enjoyable to read!
Lynne
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
DC Constance 'Con' Fairchild is working undercover when her boss DI Pete Copperthwaite is brutally tortured and murdered by a single gunshot to the head. When Con is blamed for the bungled operation and suspended from her job, she realises someone high up in the police force is corrupt. A botched attempt on Con's life soon follows and realising she's in grave danger, knows her only hope of vindication is to bring those responsible to justice.

This book was my first introduction to the work of aut
Olga
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I haven't read any books by James Oswald before, so wasn't comparing No Time to Cry to his other novels and had no preconceived expectations. I enjoyed reading it - well written, fast paced and absorbing. I liked the character of Con but didn't find the other characters as well developed. However, overall this was a great read and I am looking forward to the next one in the series.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Headline publishers for the ARC.
Breakaway Reviewers
Whatever the time, whatever you are doing, you have to read just another page.

James Oswald is perhaps best known for his Inspector McLean series for which he has received many plaudits. “No Time To Cry” is the first in a new series featuring DC Constance Fairchild. If this crime thriller is anything to go by, he has another success on his hands.

Detective Inspector Peter (Pete) Copperthwaite is working undercover. He and Con have worked very closely together for several years, and Con is his firs
Susan Angela Wallace
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No time to cry by James Oswald.
Undercover ops are always dangerous, but DC Constance Fairchild never expected things to go this wrong. Returning to their base of operations, an anonymous office in a shabby neighbourhood, she finds the bloodied body of her boss, and friend, DI Pete Copperthwaite. He's been executed - a single shot to the head. In the aftermath, it seems someone in the Met is determined to make sure that blame for the wrecked operation falls squarely on Con's shoulders. She is cu
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kindle English My...: No Time to Cry, by James Oswald 3 16 Jan 30, 2019 06:04AM
Kindle English My...: No Time to Cry, by James Oswald 1 8 Jul 24, 2018 12:17AM

• In Place of Death (Narey & Winter, #5)
  • Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie, #4)
  • Well of the Winds (DCI Daley, #5)
  • Blackwater (DI Nick Lowry, #1)
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • Old Enemies
  • Past Lives
  • Tastes Like Fear (DI Marnie Rome, #3)
  • The Lost (Stone and Oliver, #1)
  • Death by Hollywood
  • Rip Tide (Liz Carlyle, #6)
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
  • The Blood Road (Logan McRae #11)
  • The Killing Bay (Faroes #2)
  • Framed
  • The Bone Keeper
  • Police at the Station and They Don't Look Friendly (Detective Sean Duffy #6)
  • All of a Winter's Night (Merrily Watkins, #14)

DC Constance Fairchild (2 books)
  • Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild #2)