Start by marking “A Question of Courage (Questions of War #2)” as Want to Read:
A Question of Courage (Questions of War #2)

A Question of Courage

(Questions of War #2)

A man. A decision. A destiny.

Rafe Sullivan never imagined the war would come to his doorstep. But when Pearl Harbor is attacked and America's focus suddenly shifts to the pacific, he finds he can't ignore the problem anymore.
Leaving the life he loves behind, he joins up to do what he does best. Fly.
Yet, nothing could have prepared him for the horrors of war, and the st
Published December 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about A Question of Courage, please sign up.
Jesseca Wheaton Yes, she's in it, though not a lot. ;)…moreYes, she's in it, though not a lot. ;)(less)
Jesseca Wheaton So sorry I didn't see this sooner! It'll be published later this year . . . November/December sometime. ;)…moreSo sorry I didn't see this sooner! It'll be published later this year . . . November/December sometime. ;)(less)

Start your review of A Question of Courage (Questions of War #2)
Faith
// original

...I have no words. Absolutely beautiful. So simple and heartfelt, yet deep and powerful and... *clutches heart* I loved it. <3 Review to come upon publication.

// updated

(First, can we pause to admire that gorgeous cover? Utterly stunning and one-hundred-and-ten-percent fitting. Second, can we pause to admire that epic synopsis? This girl is skilled.)

To my knowledge, there has not been a thing Miss Wheaton has published that I have not read – whether that be available-for-purchase
Victoria Lynn
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ww2
I
JUST
CAN't
EVEN
Review coming upon publication. . .
Kellyn Roth
Originally posted on Reveries Reviews.

Title: A Question of Courage

Author: Jesseca Wheaton

Series: Questions of War, #2

Genre: Christian Historical Adventure (with light romance)

Era: World War Two

Setting: Kansas and the South Pacific

Publisher: Jesseca Wheaton

Source: from author (in exchange for honest review)

Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

If you’ve read my review of A Question of Honor, you’re probably moaning and thinking, “This is gonna be such a long review.” Well, it … ended up being pretty long, yes
Sarah Grace Grzy
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for interest
Just . . . how do I even write a review?

Book two in the Questions of War series picks up shortly after book 1, this time set around David's brother, Rafe, and Lily Wilson.

I. Just. Love. These. Characters. Rafe was such a fun character - serious, funny, sweet, brave. Lily was exceptionally well done. I really love her character arc. Art felt a little underdeveloped, but I imagine that's what book 3 is for. Also, Little Gil. THE CUTENESS!

The theme of courage woven throughout the book was so bea
Jesseca Wheaton
May 10, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Coming a bit later this year! I decided to go ahead and add it here for my Alpha readers. ;)
Mary
I really enjoyed A Question of Courage by Jesseca Wheaton. While I prefer the Western Front of World War II over the Pacific, I still enjoyed the setting and the fact that it's WWII. The writing style is lovely, and the characters are interesting and lovable.

The characters were what I loved the most. They're so sweet and endearing, and it's sad to see them going through the horrors of war. I loved Rafe and getting to know him from his point of view! He's so sweet and hilarious. Lily is wonderful
Abigayle Claire
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edited, history
I enjoyed this book more than its predecessor! I think part of that is because of the improvements the author has made in her skill level and my attachment to the main characters of this book. Bearing their usual wit and sarcasm, Rafe, Arthur and the whole Oz crew made for an entertaining lot. Like true soldiers, they bonded through jesting and pranks, but had each others' backs when it mattered most. The theme of courage was definitely present all throughout the book and I liked what the author ...more
J.C.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!!! I was so impressed!

Every book the author writes, she gets better, no doubt; but this book took not just one step forward, but several. I was blown away by not only the accuracy of the tale to the historical period but the author’s ability to show me so vividly what it felt like to be there. She so rawly communicated the emotions plaguing our dear characters, not shying away from harder scenes but handling everything with a beautiful delicacy.

Not every character was full and real, but
Bridget Marshall
It had a good ending. It also had a good middle and a good beginning. Come to think of it, it was all around a pretty good book!

I found much to like about A Question of Courage. The writing style was enjoyable and the characters were likable.

The research that went into this book is intense. There was one scene in particular that I was shaking my head over the hours of research that must have gone into it. It was a battle scene (go figure) and it was all the little details that may seem insignifi
R.A.
Oh my! Ahhh, I loved it! No, it was amazing!

The Characters:
Rafe - yes, just yes. He was such a fun and great character! I liked him the whole way through! (view spoiler) He and Lily's relationship is so sweet! <3
Art - haha, him too! :D He and Rafe just cracked me up!
Lily - loved her!!
Gus and Darren - :D Great companions! The whole "Wizard of Oz" nicknaming was so funny!
(I think everyone made me laugh, but that's okay!! In
Mikayla
Warning: There may be spoilers in this review if you have not read A Question of Honor first

What I liked:
1. I was drawn in quickly by Rafe being so very different from David. Rafe's chatty and witty, and really an all around fun guy. He has faith that keeps him out of a lot of trouble.
2. Rafe's relationship with Lily was extremely sweet. I would have liked to know more about how they became close friends in the first place, but it was still well done.
3. Jesseca Wheaton's style is getting better
Libby May
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Yay! This was so much fun to read!

The characters:
Rafe. I liked him so much more. From the first book we only got a glimpse of who he was, here, he is much more developed and becomes a lovable courageous, grinning but wise man.
David. Although David seemed to take somewhat of a back seat in this book, it was understandable that the POV required it.
Lily, Elaine, Johanna, and baby Gil. So much fun. So good. Well done. The struggle that Lily faced, trust, is something we all go through. Well done.
Chloe (aka Crystal)
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Previously published on Purely by Faith Reviews.

My Review:

I thoroughly enjoyed A Question of Honor and expected the same for this book. Although it didn’t have the same feels as the last book, this book was so much better than it in other ways! I’ll admit it did take me a few chapters to get into it, but it was totally worth it!

Rafe was a favorite character of mine throughout the whole book, and I don’t want to spoil anything… but I freaked out when something huge happened in the book. I figured
Brianna
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Suffice it to say everyone should go and get a copy the day it comes out.

- actual review to come later -
Kaitlyn Krispense
*takes a deep breath* *blinks* *sighs* um. Um um um. Where do I even start?! I doubt that this'll be a half-coherent review, but I'll try. xD

First off, I had this stupidly silly smirk pasted on my face for like, half (or more) of the book. Seriously... Jesseca brought out more camaraderie in this book than I think she ever has before. It was so... heartwarming, and hilarious. And I don't say this lightly; coming from a houseful of guys, I'm rather biased against others' humor, since... well, sin
Maddy B
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Question of Courage is the second book in the Questions of War series. I loved the first book so much, so I was so excited to read book two. So let me just say this. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! Everything about it was amazing! The characters, the story line, EVERYTHING!
So at first I wasn't sure if I was going to like having Rafe as a main character. I mean, he's David's brother (so he's not going to be that bad), but I had decided that David was my all time favorite character in the first book. B
Angie Thompson
Oh, boy. I had no idea how deeply these characters were working their way into my heart. Until "America the Beautiful" came across my playlist at work a few hours after starting this book, and I actually choked up because all I could see was a young pilot from Kansas heading for an aircraft carrier in the Pacific, ready to fight to keep his country and his family free.

There is something amazingly poignant about these books--this one even more than the first--that slips under my guard and catches
Rebekah Morris
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
Jesseca's writing style is a delight to read. Her characters are real and life is, life. I greatly enjoyed reading this book (second in the Questions of War series). Alternating between the life of those at home on the Kansas farm, to the boys on an aircraft carrier during WWII, the story painted the harsh realities of war without being too disturbing. The importance of faith, trust, and courage were issues that could be related to even now. Moments of lighthearted laughter were entwined with pa ...more
Lila Diller
One of the rare instances where #2 is even better than #1!! I teared up several times, usually in a joyful way; it really got my emotions invested. I loved the ending!!!! The weaving in of several different characters' viewpoints was well done, also. I absolutely would read again!

I enjoyed learning more about the Red Cross nurses and especially the sailors and pilots in the Pacific arena of WWII. Rafe is a godly, humorous pilot who shines the light of Jesus to Art and the other sailors. He strug
Grace S
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I liked this book even better than the first one! The teasing relationship between Art and Rafe was so fun! Lily and Elaine and Ann were so sweet! And... just the story<3
This book made me tear up a few times, but had the balance of humor as well so it wasn't depressing.
The truths of trusting God and allowing him to control everything in our lives even when we don't understand is something we all need to hear!
Overall, I loved it!!
Rebekah
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-by-friends
Five beautiful stars for a beautiful story that deserves all of them and more. Oh, Jesseca, you've done it again. I've always been a fan of your writing, and I'm blessed to call someone so talented my friend. You have grown so much in your writing whether it's style, themes, or character building. Somehow, you manage to have me laughing until my sides ache one moment, then crying my eyes out the next moment, feeling like my heart will never recover.
The characters were far and away my favorite p
Deborah
Absolutely a great addition to the series! Full review upon publication.
Jessica
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm going to have to read through this again in order to write a more decent review, because last time I read it so fast because I had to know what happened next. What I do remember is lots of emotions and suspense - and yes, tears.

Overall this series has proven to be sweet and hopeful, yet authentic and true to [the often harsh] reality. It doesn't shy away from the hard questions, it doesn't presume to have all the answers, but it does show by the lives of the characters the power of quiet tr
Katja
5+ stars & 7/10 hearts. The first time I read this I was disappointed. I think I was too young to really appreciate it. Now, as a young adult, I relate deeply to the message of courage and trusting God. Lily’s storyline was lovely, and I really love Art and Rafe. The humour in this book is amazing. There’s some hugging/kissing (not on the lips) and hand-holding/touching but the romance is light and deep. Sounds paradoxical, but I think you know what I mean! ;) The author’s writing style improved ...more
Molly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Question of Courage was utterly amazing! I enjoyed it so much! 5/5 stars totally!

First off, Little Gil was so adorable! And a mischief-maker. ;)

Lily's story was heartbreaking, but heartwarming at the same time. Lily struggled with trusting God, and having courage, which I think a lot of us struggle with. She was so sweet and strong.

Rafe was hilarious! He had a sense of humor, but was still strong in his convictions and faith in God. I loved his protectiveness of the girls in a brotherly sort o
Kaitlyn S.
This book was wonderful! In every sense, it was a delightful read….I don’t even know where to begin writing about this book, ’cause I honestly don’t think anything I say will do it any justice :D Maybe if I tell you these books made it on my “Top Ten List” it might give you an idea of how wonderful these books are!

The style of writing was amazing! I was immediately drawn in, and didn’t want to put the book down until I finished it. Then I was overcome with an overwhelming sadness after I read th
Hanna
WWII Christian fiction--are there any better genres? Maybe, but that's definitely close to #1. Throughout the book, I was reminded of the Wings of Glory series by Sarah Sundin. I don't think that's a bad thing ...

It was good getting to associate with the characters again. I still like David a lot, but since he wasn't so prevalent in this book, I like Rafe better. He made me smile more than a few times. I was also glad that Joyanna was around, too. And that little mention of Erich at the end ...
RebekahAshleigh
“A Question of Courage” is the second book in the Questions of War series. I loved book 1, so I was especially excited to read the next book. It was super good! There were some things that happened in book 1 though that never fully got wrapped up so I was really wanting to read more about some of those characters. They actually weren’t in book 2 though so I was a bit disappointed, but I believe the characters that I‘m wanting to read more about will reappear in the third book. I really did like ...more
Molly
Nov 30, 2018

• The Twin Arrows (The Twin Arrows, #1)
  • His Law Is Love
  • Molly and Anna
  • He Answered My Prayers
  • Through the Tunnel
  • Kate's Innocence (Kate's Case Files #1)
  • The Whispers God Gives: A 30-Day Devotional Book for Teen Girls
  • Finding Joy
  • Bad Things, Small Packages (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #3)
  • Stop the Rain: Never Leave a Fallen Comrade
  • Snow-Globe World
  • Fair in War (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #8)
  • This Child: A Story of Redemption
  • Enjoy the Poodle Skirt
  • A Family for Christmas
  • The Night Archers (The Twin Arrows, #2)
  • Esther Ashton's New Dress
  • Right Number (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6.5)
Jesseca is a daughter, sister, and a child of God. Her days are spent reading, cooking, spending time with siblings, or playing piano. And writing, of course! At an early age words fascinated her, and her love for the printed page has only grown. She lives with her parents and seven siblings in the sunny state of Kansas, and she’s convinced there’s no place like home.

Questions of War (3 books)
  • A Question of Honor (Questions of War #1)
  • A Question of Loyalty (Questions of War #3)

News & Interviews

“Perhaps courage didn't come in the way you would most expect. It wasn't brave heroics, or pushing yourself to get through hard times.
No, courage was surrendering yourself to God and letting Him guide you.”
1 likes