Start by marking “Gothic Tales of Haunted Love” as Want to Read:

Gothic Tales of Haunted Love

Gothic Tales of Haunted Love is a new comics anthology curated by Hope Nicholson (The Secret Loves of Geek Girls) and S.M. Beiko (Scion of the Fox).

In 1950s Vietnam, a lost soul comes to the aid of his lover's field under attack by American troops.

In Victorian Boston, a new governess comes to care for the rogueish widower of a stately manor and his charming brood of childr
Published January 23rd 2018 by Bedside Press

To ask other readers questions about Gothic Tales of Haunted Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gothic Tales of Haunted Love

Start your review of Gothic Tales of Haunted Love
Julie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gothic Tales of Haunted Love by Various authors is a 2018 Bedside Press publication.

“Smoke from the doused candle swirled around the room and clouded my mind in a misty haze, the night was pungent with a thousand musky smells-time and again I felt the fire of his presence.
Kiss of the Serpent-The Sinister House of Secret Love #4 -1972

A combination of factors makes this collection of short stories a real treat for me. Not to sound redundant, but for those who do not know, I have a small collecti
[Shai] Bibliophage
A diverse anthology of haunting tales about love that are quite remarkable, thought-provoking, and that are really spine-chilling. It is recommended that it is better to read this graphic novel in a quiet evening to make it more enjoyable and to be it more effective.
Gothic Tales of Haunted Love
There are numerous shocking and astonishing stories that I like in this book: Crush; Rose's Heart; Secrets in the Silk; Minefield; The Return; Green, Gold and Black; Mistress Fox; and, My Heart Still Beats For You. In the latter par
Chad
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
An anthology of haunted love stories that pays tribute to those Gothic romance comics of days gone by. I'm a fan of the macabre twist on love stories, these occur in times past but some are LGBTQ+. All in all, a lot of twisted fun.

Received a review copy from Bedside Press and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Quirkyreader
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel was a wild ride. It is full of wonderful stories and very beautiful artwork.

This is also one of those books that you should drop everything for and read as soon as possible.
♛ Garima ♛
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is series of 20+ short graphics story collection. Some of them heartwrenching, some heart-melting, some heart freezing... so much love, sorrow, horror, romance and revenge into 1 book. And all the stories are presented in different graphical style...it was so refreshing...some I didn't like and some I absolutely adored but nevertheless it is great collection.
Etienne
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not necessarily my type of book, but I have to admit this one was way better then expected! Some strange and weird love story with a dark touch to it and most of all wonderful artwork, really outstanding! Even if it's an anthology and it vary in style and all, it has always a very high level of illustrations! Beautiful and above average story! Big surprise!
Becca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
For some reason I thought this was a collection of short stories instead of short graphic novels all together. I enjoyed some of the stories in this graphic novel collection but not all. I think I would have enjoyed this more if the stories were longer and went into more detail. There were a few I wanted full length novels about, felt like I didn't get enough time with the characters and wanted more time. I do like the idea behind this though. I gave this a two out of five stars.

Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Gothic Tales Of Haunted Love is a diverse graphic novel featuring 16 stories of love, loss, murder and mystery. Most of the stories were own voices and featured POC characters and queer characters.

For the most part I enjoyed the stories in this graphic novel. Most were diverse and the range of artwork was wonderful.

My favorite stories from the graphic novel were defiantly: H. Pueyo by Dante L It featured POC Mc’s, m/m romance and a good mystery. The artwork was brilliant and it was long enough
Nancy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2018/11/0...

Gothic tales + haunted love + diverse characters = yes, please!

This strong anthology has 200+ pages of short illustrated stories that are horror-themed, as they are a tribute to 1970’s Gothic pulp novels. Each story has a different author and illustrator, with lends to many different styles within this collection. The stories are extremely diverse, with characters of different nationalities, cultures and sexual ori
Stabbing
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gothic Tales of Haunted Love is a new anthology that attempts to merge the style of old 1970s gothic romance comics, with more modern sensibilities. These stories feature people of color or LGBTQIA individuals in them. It was a crowd-sourced book and you can check out the KICKSTARTER page for some more art samples.

I actually liked every story in this anthology but the three that stood out for me were:

One More Cup by Barbara Guttman – The story of a woman who shares a cup of tea and conversation
Wayne McCoy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Gothic Tales of Haunted Love' edited by Hope Nicholson and S.M. Beiko is a collection of short stories by a variety of contributors that pay homage to the creepy gothic comics of the 1970s.

I'm not much of a romance reader, but I do like a good haunted love story. This collection of 19 stories and a fun quiz. There is a cover gallery at the end and the collection even includes a reprint of an original story called 'The Promise' by Korean artist Sanho Kim, about a soldier who is saved by two sist
Claire
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Creepy, romantic, queer, full of people of color, and just. So outstanding. I’ve already said this once today about another comic, but this is the future of romance comics. The bonus part is the “gothic” part of the romance stories in here. Matches my soft but spooky soul. ❤️ Definitely buying myself a copy to keep forever
Meegy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked all of the stories in this little collection. I have never read a Gothic romance story before and I found them really interesting to read.
Cande
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f
20 stories about ghosts, murder, and love go wrong. The collection is full of marginalized writers and illustrators, with LGBTQ and POC characters. Gothic Tales of Haunted Love was a wonderful read; the characters are all very complex and the art is delightful.

*Crush (Janet Hetherington, Ronn Sutton, Becka Kinzie & Zakk Saam): Black woman MC. Constance is hired as a governess for a white family, falling a little over the head of the family, Captain Harcorte. But he soon loses interest in her an
Kelly Van Damme
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved this anthology! As with all collections, I enjoyed some stories more than others, that's inevitable, but there were only 2 stories that were not to my tastes at all. Overall the story-lines were entertaining, the graphics were beautiful and the lettering was great. Some of these stories are thought-provoking, some are chilling, some are just downright beautiful. If you're into graphics novels and gothic lit, this is one for you! Ghosts, werewolves, murder and mayhem, hell yes!
Reco
Rike @ RikeRandom
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash-reads
"Gothic Tales of Haunted Love" is a great modern adaption of 1960/70 American gothic romance comics. The comic anthology is spooky, bloody and super diverse.

An extensive introduction by Jacque Nodell, outlines the (short-lived) history of gothic romance comics and the motivation for this anthology and then the comics begin.

And what comics they are … Full of ghosts and ghouls, bloodshed and all other kinds of goriness but also full of diversity, characters of colour, LGBTQIA* characters, etc. I l
Laurie
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the stories in this anthology were very good for the most part. I always enjoy reading anthologies because I get to hear from new (or at least new to me) authors. This one kept me up a couple of nights not wanting to put it down.
Jessica
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! An anthology of short gothic stories accompanied by gorgeous artwork, turning the traditional gothic tale on its head by making including a rich diversity of heroines and tragic figures. I hope to see more of this in the future.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing free digital access to this title.
Leigha
*Spoiler/Trigger warning: There are lots of blood, gore, pictures of what looks like self harm, and murder...also baby killing.

I have conflicting feelings about this book, but I did enjoy it overall.

There were a few stories that I personally felt did not make sense. I did like it that the "bad guy" was usually the girl, and she wasn't a damsel in distress or something.

Highly disturbing stories, but I went in expecting that and enjoy the morbidness of this book. However, there was one story that
Prairie Fire  Review of Books
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a tendency when thinking about the history of comic books to privilege the superhero, to reduce comics as a medium to the mystery men and women who fight crime in all their caped glory.

There are both historic and cultural reasons that this happen—the birth of the superhero coincides with the moment that the comic book as we understand it asserts itself as an entertainment medium, and there can be little doubt that the superhero is among the twentieth century’s major contributions to the
Jamie
✮ Read this review and more like it on The Last Page

When I first laid eyes on this collection I knew I had to read it instantly. The cover is stunning and the idea of Gothic romance comics instantly caught my attention, being a fan of Gothic literature in it’s various forms. It was a fast read and while I found a few spectacular comics in the collection I ended up feeling only lukewarm overall.

Gothic Tales of Haunted Love seeks to revitalize an aging genre of literature while paying homage to
Bryan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read. Hope Nicholson has to be my favorite editor by far. I never really caught the names of editors before I started getting these themed anthologies put together by her. They're all very enjoyable, but this one has been my favorite so far. Ever since discovering a few EC reprints in the bargain bin at my local comic book store when I was about 8 years old I've been a fan of all things that fall under the "horror" umbrella. What makes this collection so great is that many o ...more
Irina
Actual rating: 3,5 stars

Content warnings
Let's be honest, I didn't take notes on potential content warnings for this one. Please be aware that some (actually most, I think) of these stories deal with topics like death and violence and some are pretty graphic and/or emotionally intense. If anyone is interested, you can ask me, though! I'll have a look at the chapters again if someone needs a specific warning or something.

Disclaimer
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for a
Teresa
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gothic Tales of Haunted Love by Edited by S.M. Beiko and Hope Nicholson Gothic tales of haunted love is a new comics anthology curated by Hope Nicholson. It is not your normal book of paranormal stories. The comic book style actually gives to some of the stories as well as some it takes from. There were a few stories int he book I would of loved to read a whole book on instead of a few pages of comics.

The stories were good do not get me wrong I am just not a big comic book kind of girl. There a
Jim
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves sequential art and diversity in their stories. This anthology is amazing.
Whoa! This anthology dives right in! That first story is a doozy! Crush really delivers.

And I realized that this is why I like to check out new stuff on NetGalley. This was amazing. Different from what I expected - and really different from most comics I’ve read. It’s really rare to discover an anthology where there wasn’t a single story I wasn’t fond of. I think there were one or two stories I might give Goodreads rating 3/5 stars - but those were by far the worst.

That first story was followe
Helen Kord
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, f-f, m-m, comics, m-f
This was a wonderful collection of some deliciously creepy stories, but the varying quality of the stories in general dragged it down a bit. But the better stories were magnificent. Here are my favorites, in the order they appear in the book:
Rose's Heart by Colleen Coover- I loved the art and the subversion of reader expectations.
Secrets in the Silk- a wonderful story of female solidarity and getting revenge. The art was absolutely wonderful too.
Minefield by Hien Phan- I loved how the artist is
Ije the Devourer of Books
Well this anthology certainly packs a punch! It starts off with a rather gory governess story and then gets even better. I enjoyed it but it is not for the squeamish. These are gothic and ghastly tales at their best.

The best aspect of the stories here are the unexpected and brilliantly depicted twists and turns. They give these short stories a startling and enjoyable edge but only if you like a slice of darkness and frisson of horror with your stories.

I think this volume really manages to captu
Michele
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
In many readers’ minds, the term “gothic” likely evokes literary references to Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and Bram Stoker’s Dracula – elements of romance, the supernatural, and dark, foreboding tones permeate such timeless stories. During the 1960s and 1970s, such elements reappeared in the sequential art medium, being stimulated by the diminishing control of the Comics Code Authority in 1971. Jacque Nodell (Sequential Crush), in the book’s foreword, explains that gothic romance comics “were sh ...more
Sara Thompson
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like all anthologies, there were stories I loved and stories I didn't. In all honesty, there were only two stories that had me shrugging at which I thought really spoke to the quality of entertainment found in this book.
Every story is from a different artist and author so I can't speak to it as a whole. Most of the art was enjoyable. I can't think of any that I disliked.
While this is an anthology of haunted love, I would definitely warn you that this is not a collection of romance stories. The h
Trish
I backed this on Kickstarter last year and was thoroughly impressed with the entire process of that from the publisher ect...

I'd rate this anthology as a 2.5/5. This anthology is wonderfully diverse with own voices and LGBTQ+ representation. Most of the art is beautiful, detailed and eye-catching. I'll definitely be reaching for this anthology again.

With the large list of stories, I was expecting a much longer book, sadly most of the comics are very short and it feels like some of the stories re
Madison Mega-Mara...: #54 Gothic Tales of Haunted Love by Hope Nicholson 1 2 Mar 17, 2018 10:18AM

• Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Children's Classics (Andrews McMeel))
  • The Toilet Paper Tigers
  • Among the Dolls
  • 1950s: Decades of the 20th Century (The Hulton Getty Picture Collection)
  • The Hulton Getty Picture Collection 1930's (Decades of the 20th Century)
  • 1940s: Decades of the 20th Century
  • 1960s: Images From the 20th Century (Images of the 20th Century - Getty Images)
  • The Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton: Commemorative Edition with Pictures from the Ceremony
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Princeless Book 8: Princesses #2 Angelica
  • A Song Below Water
  • Vigee Le Brun
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion
  • Meltdown: The Definitive Collection
  • Dorrie and the Dreamyard Monsters
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 1
Hope Nicholson is the owner of Winnipeg-based publishing Bedside Press. She's an ardent comics fan passionate about bringing new stories to light, and author of the book "The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen" which shines light on characters forgotten by comics history.