Start by marking “First Christmas in America (Christmas Collection)” as Want to Read:
First Christmas in America (Christmas Collection)

First Christmas in America

(Christmas Collection)

Klara Ivanski arrives from the Old Country with her Papa, Mama and ten brothers and sisters. “All vill be vell,” Papa assures them, but Mama and several of her brothers and sisters must remain at their aunt and uncle’s because of sickness. With barely enough money for food, Klara is quick to assure her papa that they only need Mama and the other to make Christmas special. ...more
Published November 13th 2017

To ask other readers questions about First Christmas in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Christmas in America

Start your review of First Christmas in America (Christmas Collection)
Faith
A sweet story of a Polish (I think?) family's first Christmas after leaving the Old Country. I lost track of all the kids a time or two, but the family relations were so cute.
Kate Willis
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a sweet, little story! The ending made me tear up. I enjoyed the close-knit big family, especially how sweet Papa was portrayed. Cleaning their big, new house actually sounded like a lot of fun! I did really connect with the lonely feelings of moving into a new house, though. (And having to leave part of the family behind? That’s just terrible!) There were so many children, it got a little hard to keep track of them sometimes, but there was no forgetting sweet Klara and impatient Polina. ...more
Rebekah Morris
Dec 19, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: christmas
After two failed books that just didn't interest me, I had to read something I KNEW I would like. Even if it was my own story. :)
Liz F.
I loved this story!!! So sweet! One thing I liked was how all ten kids are different and they didn't have identical personalities. ;) Polina especially, I found funny. The ending was the best part!! :D (because of how it turned out, not because it was over.) So fun!
5 stars! I totally recommend this short story!!
E.F.B.
This was a nice little historical story. I enjoyed seeing from the perspective of a family coming to America for the first time and experiencing the love and generosity of neighbors on Christmas.
Amanda Tero
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a cute short story about a German family who had to separate in order to claim their new home and Papa’s job. Would they be reunited in time for Christmas?

I’d consider this a children’s book, and for that, I give it four stars. I personally would have appreciated a little more of the German culture coming out of the characters’ lives instead of them looking forward to an Americanized Christmas. But there was absolutely nothing in this story that would keep me from handing it to a young
Angie Thompson
Another very sweet Christmas story! (Do I expect anything less?) The family's love and desire to be together, even when they didn't have much else was lovely, and the way things worked out at the end was perfect!

Content--"magic" used figuratively
Mikayla
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable short Christmas story. It's been awhile since I read it, so I don't remember if I had any complaints. Guess that means its time for a re-read. ;)
patsy mason
anika
Nov 19, 2018
Dec 11, 2018

• The Least of These
Rebekah A. Morris has lived her entire life (as of now) in Missouri. Being home educated during her school years was great, except for writing. That was the worst subject (along with math) that she had to do. It wasn't until after she graduated that she discovered the joys and wonder of writing. Now she can't write enough. After spending six years in research and writing, she completed her first ...more

Christmas Collection (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Christmas She Wanted (Christmas Collection)
  • At the Christmas Lodge (Christmas Collection)
  • Christmas Smiles (Christmas Collection)
  • Christmas Eve at the Backdoor (Christmas Collection)
  • Home for Christmas (Christmas Collection)
  • Christmas Delays and Other Short Stories (Christmas Collection)
  • A Christmas Disaster (Christmas Collection)
  • Christmas Quilts (Christmas Collection)
  • A Police Force for Christmas (Christmas Collection)
  • A Crazy, Crowded Christmas (Christmas Collection)