Start by marking “The Outcasts (The Blood Dagger, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Outcasts (The Blood Dagger, #1)

The Outcasts

(The Blood Dagger #1)

Mystical relics.
Powerful vampires.
Strange allies.

It's hell being a teenager.

Larna Collins has never understood why her dad skipped out on her and her mother when she was twelve years old. Until then, he was a devoted and loving father.

But six years later, during a renovation of her childhood home, she unearths her father's journal from under a dusty floorboard. Acc
Published December 14th 2017 (first published December 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Outcasts, please sign up.

Start your review of The Outcasts (The Blood Dagger, #1)
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog

*a copy was provided by the author*

Not what I expected! I'm actually really surprised with this one! This is the first Misty Hayes book that I have read.  I loved it. I am looking forward to the next book.

The book is action packed to the brim le
Beth
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Larna is The Outcast at her school. She never quite fit in once her father disappeared and she covered smothered her emotional issues with food.

After finding her father’s diary, Larna heads to London…the last place he wrote about in his diary. Only to be caught up in a vampire war with Larna becoming a pawn in the middle.

I found the The Outcast enjoyable and entertaining. I wasn’t a fan of all the references to her larger size, “sausage fingers,” and didn’t really think it had a bearing at all
Richelle Robinson
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with this story! I am VERY picky with my Paranormal reads and this was such a good story. This was my first time reading this author and I loved her writing and her description to detail was excellent! The secondary characters were excellent and I honestly felt like I was one of the gang. The pacing was good and I loved the character development as well. Larna went from being insecure to confident and I loved seeing her believe in herself as the story pro ...more
Britt
2.5 Stars!

In this book, a girl goes on a trip to track down her missing father and ends up with more than she bargained for.

The premise of this story was interesting, but I think the characters could have been fleshened out a bit more. Especially the main character, Larna — I never quite connected with her, and I feel like she was kind of like... the skeleton of what could have been a better developed character, you know? She felt like the outline of a character, and I think most of her struggle
Ellie Mitchell
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~Story

The Outcasts: The Blood Dagger follows young Larna Collins on a summer trip to England. With her father having left years ago, Larna hopes she can find clues as to his whereabouts. However, upon arriving in England, she finds herself in mysterious company, and soon enough, mortal danger.

~Characters

Larna was an interesting character. At first, I wasn’t sure I would grow to like her, however, she soon became a bad-ass and I found myself rooting for her all the way to the end. Both witty and
Patty
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Larna Collins is on a search for her father, who went disappeared when she was just twelve years old.  Her search brings her to Bromham, London.  Larna quickly learns that there is more to her father's disappearance than she thought.  When a stolen dagger brings a stranger to her, she suddenly realizes that her worst nightmares are becoming a reality.  She doesn't know who to trust.  Can Larna recover the dagger, survive and protect those closest to her?

This is the first Misty Hayes book that I
MRS C MARSHALL
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book and giving my honest review.
A new author for me.
What can I say what a awesome book. I love vampire books, this was exciting from the beginning to end.
A twist here and there, laughed in parts. Keep me on the edge of my seat.
You became part of the book, plot.
I really enjoyed it and looking forward to book 2.
Not spoiling you have to read it’s really a great exciting book .
Christy Leonard
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the Outcasts: The Blood Dagger Volume 1 and I only have one question. When is Volume 2??? This book was a fast and easy read about a subject that’s very topical in the issues that are going on in the world right now. The main character, Larna, is a high school girl who has problems. She’s overweight, she’s got a missing father, she’s got bullies, and she has boy issues. But how she handles these problems makes the book for me. I was hooked from the beginning and, without spoiling the book ...more
Skyler Pierce
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my third read. Thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I did the first read through! Highly recommend for readers who enjoy the paranormal/vampire genre!
Alexandra Mack
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Larna's father abandoned her and her mother when she was 12 years old. She never knew why, but she started to turn to food even more for comfort. Now she is in her senior year of high school, and her only friends are Corinth and Amber. Everyone else in her school makes fun of her for being overweight, and she can't wait until she can graduate and leave.

While her home is being renovated, she finds her father's journal. The last thing her father spoke about in the journal was visiting a small vill
John
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the storyline, love the characters and just can hardly wait until December to get the next installment :) Misty takes us into the world of vampires with her own twists on the mythos. I just finished volume one and my heart is aching. Everyone is completely relatable, even the vamps. I was so happy that there was just enough romance not to make sick, lol. I don’t do teenage angst, but even I have some after vol. 1, lol! Love it!
DarkHeraldMage
I devoured this book as if it contained the iron rich diet so many of its characters find appetizing! From start to finish I was drawn into the protagonist's story and the real feeling of attachment that comes from a realistic and down to earth first person storytelling. Already grabbed book two and have a feeling I'm going to be very anxiously waiting for book three very shortly. ...more
gj indieBRAG
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that THE OUTCASTS- The Blood Dagger by Misty Hayes is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Katarina Silva
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NOVA Book Reviews

The Outcasts by Misty Hayes is the first book in the Blood Dagger Series and Holy Hell… I’m addicted. The story includes all elements, that to me make a book incredible. A fantasy/supernatural theme, badass fighting scenes, awesome characters, romance, a mystery to solve and tons of secrets. All of this left my poor heart somersaulting through every chapter. SO WORTH IT!!

I’m going to start out with what I found truly amazing which was the individuality of the characters and how
J.D. Brown
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Larna Collins is an 18 year old American girl who struggles with being overweight and bullied. Six years before our story begins, Larna's father leaves home in the middle of the night never to be heard from again. He was a photographer for the rich & famous and often had to travel with some of his clients. Larna assumes her father had an affair during one of his business trips and left her and her mother for the other woman.

The truth is a whole lot stranger.

One day, Larna finds her father's jour
Cath
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Larna is a lonely teen, overweight since turning to food for comfort when her father left when she was twelve and never returned. High school is hell, with her name being twisted into ‘Lardo’. She has one female friend and a boy she has known her whole life, family friends and has quite a crush on, Corinth. When their house was being renovated, she found her father’s journal recording some of his last travels. His last entry showed him in a place called Barnham, in England, whereas they live in ...more
Bethany
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Larna is hurt when her father doesn't return home because the assumption is he's abandoned them or worse. It's so out of the ordinary considering his loving and kind nature that Larna can't help but feel there's more to his absence. When she discovers her fathers journal, his words inspire Larna to travel to London to search for him.

The journal initially leads her to Gabriel, a sinister man that is more than just a man. It isn't long before Larna discovers the secrets hiding in London's corners:
Michelle Bryan
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larna Collins is living a teenage nightmare. Feeling like an outcast in her school and the butt of far too many jokes, all she wants to do is stay under the radar and make it through to graduation.

Her life changes when she finds her missing father's journal and she travels to London to search for him. What she finds there, she never could have imagined. The quaint village where her father was last seen is not all it appears to be, and Larna soon finds herself caught up in a paranormal vampire w
Paula
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Powers Come With Great Responsibility
I recently had the pleasure of reading The Outcasts: The Blood Dagger: Volume 1 by Misty Hayes. I was surprised with the talent of this writer and was left with a positive impression. This fun and scary book was engaging with its challenging storyline of vampires and the age-old bullied underdog subject. Both of which are well-worn paths for writers. However, this author managed to create a refreshing new twist which captivated my attention throughout t
Stephanie Behrens
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just thought I was done reading about vampires! Reading this book has changed my mind about being done with the dark world of vampires. When I first began reading the book I wasn’t really into the heroine because of her flaws, but as I continued to read, her flaws are what caused me to completely change my mind about her. There haven’t been very many fictional heroins that I’ve read about that I’ve been able to relate to and possibly envision myself in their place. But with Larna, I can. She i ...more
Nadine
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really felt a connection with Larna

When I first saw the cover and read the blurb, I thought that it wouldn’t be 100% my thing. But then someone I know highly recommended it, and I just thought I’d give it a try. Fully expecting that I wouldn’t like it much.

And boy was I wrong: IT WAS AMAZING!

A well written book. A good pace. A good plot. Good worldbuilding. Very refreshing. I loved Larna. She’s different. I’m different too, so I bonded with her over that. For me, that’s very important. I wan
Truly Trendy PR
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Outcasts is a fast-paced paranormal young adult novel that is intriguing and sure to capture your attention from the beginning. The characters are interesting and well developed with backstories that slow come to light and help tell the story. Hayes writes in such a creative and descriptive way that makes this a truly remarkable read. You will feel as if you are a part of the story and a world unlike any other. The character development makes it easy for you to relate to the characters as yo ...more
Tamara
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hat do you mean forget what you think you know?

I enjoy vampire stories. Whatever you think you know about vampires forget it. This is not your typical vampire tale. This book has plenty of twists.

Larna is the main character and of course she has low self esteem. Her father left years ago but she found a journal and decided to try to find him after she graduates.

This is a must read to get the differences in the vampire culture offered in this book. Also, there is a love interest or two. Honestly
Diane
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an Arc and the opinions and views are my own. This was a very dark book. One thing I liked about it was the heroine is not a buff, beautiful badass, she is a young lady who has self esteem problems and is over weight. Her dad disappeared when she was eight and the kids at school bully her. She has a good friend who wants to be her boyfriend. However things are not what they appear to be. There is more going on with a mystical dagger and vampires. A good read. Starting the next book in ...more
Christina
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Best Vampire Book Ever™
The Best Female Main Character in a Vampire Book Ever™

A vampire book with a bigger girl as a protagonist and is also seen as a desirable love interest? This is it. Right here.

I don’t have the right words to express how much I enjoyed The Outcasts. It was everything I’ve ever wanted to read for a long, long time. I loved the plot, the characters, and the villain (oh, yes, I love him ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)). I can’t wait to read volume two to see what happens next.
Destiny Bridwell
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I was not sure what I was getting myself into when I was asked to read this book. I knew the basic blurb and that made me want to read it. I love vampire books and that was enough to sell me to read it. I did not think I would be going on another spooky and mysterious adventure. She finds a journal that her father kept before he ran off. She ends up going to a village and discovered something strange is going on. She is discovering all ...more
Sherry
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am always on the lookout for a new and great book to read. This was it!

This is a new take on the vampire genre. It is original with great characters and plot line.

I liked how the characters felt real, not like the 'everyone is perfect' in some of the books you read.

You have action, comedy, and drama set in an young adult urban fantasy book.

Great read and I'm looking forward to the next book from this new author.
Beverley Albright
As YA novels go, this one was nothing out of the ordinary. I did like a non-traditional take on the vampires, though do they really seem like vampires other than needing blood? You will have to decide.

The usual boy/girl/boy triangle is in place or will be, I am sure, in the following books. All in all, not a bad read, but I could have used a bit more oomph. The fight scenes were good. But it was an easy read and I was never bored.
John Min
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked it....did not really like it

A fun vampire book where the main character starts out as prey and ends book 1 a predator. I will likely buy book 2 and hope the characters and story line get a little more depth in a fantastic adcenture. I finished it though (lately a few I haven't finished do to non-genesis of interest over a few chapters) and I had a few times where I was eager to jump back in when a chance to read arose.
Misty
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looooove this book!

It was well-paced and beautifully written. The main characters are flawed and realistic, but also strong in a way that is only rewarded through struggle. I'm definitely reading more as soon as the author churns out what I can only hope are several more books!! 5 Stars! #TeamLarnastair

• Blink of an Eye (Kendra Michaels #8)
  • The Night Is Watching (Krewe of Hunters, #9)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me: The 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #2.5)
  • The Phantom of Barker Mill (Blue Moon Investigations, #2)
  • Can You Kick a Ghost in the Nuts? (The Harper Files #1; Blue Moon Investigations #2.5)
  • Dark Court: Fire Fae (The Complete Series)
  • Love is a Rebellious Bird
  • Darkblood Prison: Demon At Large (Supernatural Prison Squad Series, #3)
  • Mythopedia: An Encyclopedia of Mythical Beasts and Their Magical Tales
  • Goddesses and Heroines: Women of Myth and Legend
  • Scholastic Classics: Welsh Fairy Tales, Myths and Legends
  • Paranormal Nonsense (Blue Moon Investigations, #1)
  • Yes, You Can Write!: 101 Proven Writing Prompts that Will Help You Find Creative Ideas Faster for Your Journal, Blogging, Writing Your Book and More (Become a Writer Today 1)
  • Dark Writing Prompts
  • 150 Horror Writing Prompts
  • 500 FANTASY WRITING PROMPTS: Fantasy Story Ideas and Writing Prompts for Budding Writers
  • The Drowning Kind
  • Vendetta Road (Torpedo Ink, #3)
Misty Hayes has always had a thing for escaping headfirst into fantastical books. This is what led her to start writing her own adventures. As someone who has spent a long career in law enforcement, Misty has a love for strong female protagonists. She also directs short films and claims to have been bitten by the traveling bug (not to be mistaken for a radioactive spider).

When Misty isn't filming

The Blood Dagger (3 books)
  • The Watchers: The Blood Dagger: Volume 2
  • Tree of Souls (The Blood Dagger #3)

News & Interviews