Start by marking “A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #3)

A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries #3)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The Quilliam sisters have a nose for fine food and good business. But when a nosy newspaperman goes sniffing around the local mini-mall project, Sarah and Meg begin to smell something rotten in Hemlock Falls. It's worse than corruption--it's murder. And the newsman is facing his final deadline. Includes a recipe from the Hemlock Falls Inn.
Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Published December 1st 1995 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Pinch of Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pinch of Poison

Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha ChristieMonk's Hood by Ellis PetersHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieStrong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers
Poison
138 books — 36 voters
Born in Ice by Nora RobertsThe Next Always by Nora RobertsThe Perfect Hope by Nora RobertsThe Last Boyfriend by Nora RobertsMy Lady Love by Bridgitte Lesley
B&B Fiction
110 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I didn’t realize this was part of a series so I may have missed some of the character development from the first few books. I found some of the characters in this book so annoying that it was hard to focus on the story which was an average mystery at best.
Andrew
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bishop gets points for both creating a fine mystery, albeit one with a nod to classic, and deploying her ensemble cast to good effect.
Bea
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I would call this a cozy mystery in that the characters who populate the story are people I would like to meet and live with in Hemlock Falls. Yet, some of the people (Hedrick Conway and Axminster Stoker) are not people I would admire or possibly even like.

The Quilliam sisters (Meg and Sarah) run an inn. Sarah is the business partner, and Meg is the chef. But then things start to go wrong. A eccentric group comes to stay, Hedrick Conway's sister and mother die, a scandal seems to be brewing over
Linda C
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Quilliam sisters' Inn is suffering under two different problems. Sarah has allowed Axminster Stoker, a long term guest, to apply his TQM principles to evaluating the running of the Inn with disastrous results. And Hedrick Conway, his mother and sister have bought the town newspaper and turned it into a scandal sheet, exposing secrets and implying corruption effecting everyone in town. Into this bedlam arrives the Kipling Society. When first Hedrick's mother and then sister are murdered there ...more
Elizabeth Kennedy
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Amy "the book-bat"
I am losing interest in this series because I am just not drawn to the characters. They are starting to annoy me. Overall, the book was ok and I read more about toilets, septic systems and sewage than I ever expected to. The sisters are opening a boutique restaurant to go with their Inn at Hemlock Falls. There is a lot of discussion about the mini mall being built and the restaurant which (SPOILER ALERT!) do not figure in later books (or at least are never mentioned in books 9 & 10 of the se ...more
Theresa
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I love this series so much. Book 3's story is interesting, and the main characters, Quill and Meg, get some actual fleshing-out. I really like what strong, feminist, caring, and independent women they are. I also like all the quirky (and sometimes frustrating) townspeople.

Bishop's world-building is getting better with each book. Hemlock Falls feels SO real. I almost went searching for it on google maps. HA!

...off to read book 4!
Emily Cullen
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A tabloid reporter comes to Hemlock Falls and makes some enemies. When two of his family members are murdered, innkeepers Sarah and Meg Quilliam start investigating. I really like this cozy mystery series. It's got great characters and interesting mysteries, and innkeeper "Quill" and chef Meg play off each other well. I am working my way through the series.
Rachel N.
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Hedrick Conway has moved to Hemlock Falls and started up a newspaper that is printing gossip about the town. Soon Hedrick's mother is murdered at the site of the towns new minimall and the Quilliam sisters start investigating. I like this series of cozy mysteries and will have to look for more of them.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, owned
#3 in the Hemlock Falls cozy culinary mystery series, back in the day when I started this series, they were great. They still are, but I've gone beyond them. My friends all enjoyed the books as well. If you have discovered Claudia Bishop and enjoy an entertaining cozy, this series might just fit the bill.
Beth
This was book three but the first one I read in this series. The mystery was interesting, but I did not find most of the characters very interesting so I'm not sure if I will continue in this series.
Laura Rodd
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun read. A B&B mystery with the interesting touch of it being set in the Ithaca area in a pretty little fictitious hamlet of Hemlock Falls. The Quilliam sisters own and operate this inn. One sister cooks and the other manages the rest.
Leah
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I was very disappointed in this book. It started out promising but became very boring. I mean there is a whole chapter in sewage! Who wants to read about that? I also didn't like that the characters seemed to not learn from their past investigations and they made the same mistakes again.
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: rmr-project
The start with a cast list and map reminded me of Agatha Christie. I liked it quite a bit despite finding a few spots that felt like POV breaks.
Debbie
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable cozy mystery.
Pat
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Cute and enjoyable.
Building a mall near water.
Characters are inn owners.
Inn at Hemlock Falls.
Sarah and Margaret Quilliam.
Teotakuu
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it
A new author to me but I quite enjoyed the story and the characters. This was a chance find but I will keep an eye out for more books by this author
ChrisGA
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-read-2014
Good solid series of cozy mystery--intricate plot
Christine Schmidt
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Good summer read.
Heather Icenogle
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute, cute, cute series! Really enjoyed these books!
Stephanie
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun series with recipes!
Krystle Kouture
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Loved the ending of this one.

Wish the main characters were as interesting as the supporting ones though.
Linda
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
Not the best in the series and for some reason not as quick of a read as I thought it should be. I did like the ending.
Karin
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Was this even the same author? Jerky, obvious, and boring to read.
Nicole
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
The book started in an odd place. It felt as though I had missed a book but I haven't. And the endings are always a little to ambiguous furor my taste.
Joan
Mar 02, 2017
Valerie Andrews
May 06, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Play Book Tag: A Pinch of Poison - Claudia Bishop - 4 stars 2 12 Mar 27, 2016 08:46AM
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Death By Sheer Torture (Perry Trethowan, #1)
  • Death is in the Air (Manor House Mystery #2)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • The Private Life of the Cat Who... (Cat Who... SSC3)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch, #4)
  • Fit to Die (A Supper Club Mystery, #2)
Claudia Bishop is the nom de plume of mystery & fantasy author Mary Stanton.
More about Claudia Bishop

Hemlock Falls Mysteries (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • A Dash of Death (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)
  • Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5)
  • A Touch of the Grape (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #6)
  • A Steak in Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #7)
  • Marinade for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #8)
  • Just Desserts (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #9)
  • Fried by Jury (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #10)
  • A Puree of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Dressmaker's Dowry
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
  • The Wife
    $12.99 $3.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)