Start by marking “A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)” as Want to Read:
A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)

A River of Royal Blood

(A River of Royal Blood #1)

An enthralling debut perfect for fans of Children of Blood and Bone set in a North African-inspired fantasy world where two sisters must fight to the death to win the crown.

Sixteen-year-old Eva is a princess, born with the magick of marrow and blood--a dark and terrible magick that hasn't been seen for generations in the vibrant but fractured country of
Published October 29th 2019 by Putnam

To ask other readers questions about A River of Royal Blood, please sign up.
Nada There is absolutely nothing North African in this book (go figure what she means by that). I read a comment that it is more west african. I'm from NA …moreThere is absolutely nothing North African in this book (go figure what she means by that). I read a comment that it is more west african. I'm from NA and it sucks to be hyped then disappointed right after reading the blurb lmao(less)

Start your review of A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The November Fairyloot Arrived a bit late but there are some lovely things. Click on the GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the GOODIES!

GOODIES LINK
Lucy Langford
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*** rounded up!

To become numb to violence was to forget to cherish life.

This had exquisite world building and I loved all of the elements of magick. I loved the inclusion of different tribes and magical folk, as well as learning of the different types of magick humans and other mortals and immortals possess. This had a strong female MC whose view point was fantastic to read from as we see her dealing with despising and cold family members, magick, a court that underestimates her and romance,
Natasha Ngan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sibling rivalry like nothing you’ve ever read before. Joy weaves a dark yet delicate treatise on race, heritage and power whilst never losing that addictive ‘just one more chapter’ allure. I devoured it one sitting!
Samantha
Nov 11, 2020 rated it liked it
TW: death of a parent; self-harm/blood magic

Although the mix of magic and lore was fun, it was not as fleshed out as I would have liked. The first half of the book was rather slow, and I found myself not connecting to the characters. While the ending was much more interesting, the overall story left me wanting more.
may ➹
— you can find this review and others on my blog!

A River of Royal Blood follows a princess named Eva, who must fight her sister Isa to the death in order to rule the Queendom of Myre. She’s the first person in a century who has had the magick of blood and marrow, and she must learn to control it in order to win the battle.

First of all, I absolutely adore the concept of rival sisters, because it allows for so many different themes to be tackled. And I loved reading how Eva and Isa used to be clos
C.G. Drews
This book had so many compelling elements! Mysteries, hidden childhood secrets, sisters at war with each other by force of tradition, and magical powers that can be anything from sensing emotions or compelling people or renting blood and marrow. There are faeries and types of chimera and vampires. There are cold queens and displaced soft princess with horns. Eva is so very gentle and soft, and it was actually really nice to have a princess exposed to horror and death who never got used to it and ...more
SincerelyTahiry
I’m still so conflicted about this book.

I loved the world and the rich culture that just flew off the pages. I loved the the idea of sisters fighting for the crown. I loved that it was very much focused on women. I loved the different races of the characters and the different magical beings. I loved the depiction of Eva and her moms relationship, I related so freakin much. I loved the writing as well. It just flowed effortlessly. I will say that I LOVED Prince Aketo. The representation of this
Kogiopsis
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, so. I liked it, but... I needed it to be about twice as long.

For once I don't mean this in the simple 'I wanted more' sort of way, though I did/do. I mean that this book would have been much stronger had it been given more room to grow, and had the plot not been cut where it was for cliffhanger purposes.

See, here's the thing - this is a book fraught with emotionally complicated situations and revelations, and yet the action moves so quickly that those emotions never really get explored. T
Aaryn Flott
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved it!!! I loved the magic system, the tattoos, and the side characters, just wished there were more scenes focused on the sibling rivalry!
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Ohhh I'm so excited to finish this gorgeous book. But for now, a photo!

Psst... come find me on Instagram at @reverieandink!
Fares
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
RTC
---------------------------------------------------
North African inspired?! Where have you been all my life?!
Please don't disappoint, imma cry my heart out if you do 😭
Angela Staudt
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review.

“Even if I had to become the wicked girl of my nightmares, a maelstrom of marrow and blood, I would do whatever it took to stay alive.”

I really enjoyed this book, which is about sibling rivalry and on their namesday, they have to challenge one another for the throne. The winner and soon to be queen is the sister who defeats the other and kills her. This was a very dark book, but had such a unique fantasy that it kept me on the
Emily Duncan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AN UTTER DELIGHT
Ashleigh
Well... I wasn't expecting that!

A River of Royal Blood follows Princess Evalina, a 16-year old girl who will have to fight her older sister Isadora to the death once she is 17, in order to win the crown. Merely months before her 17th nameday, Evalina is still struggling to harness her magick of marrow and blood, a rare magick that hasn't been seen in the Kingdom since Queen Raina, a murderous queen who slaughtered thousands and started the tradition of Rival Heirs by killing her own sister.
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
the magic in here is super special cause it's got a K
MariaWitBook
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I can only say that I loved the book! I was fortunate enough for a friend to get it even before I got my copy and because she finished it in one sitting she called me straight way asking if I want to read something really really good! I’m grateful that I said yes straight away! As reading this book give him hours of pure enjoyment! I will totally recommend it! Specially if you went through a reading slump and you are looking for a pick you up book look no further! Great book! Strong powerful cha ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I was on the lookout for African based fantasy YA so I was totally interested in A River of Royal Blood when I saw the cover. And while the cover doesn't slay me it's strength lies in giving us a sense right away of what this book is going to be about. Obviously magic and sisters! If we're using characters on the cover though the art should be true to those characters and not have wrong details.

A River of Royal Blood is not a title I lo
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.75 Stars
“It took some time, but I stood taller. I Breathed deeply; trough the air burned in my throat, I welcomed it. I allowed the smoke to cloud my mind and bade my thoughts to silence, except for one refrain: enemy, obstacle, Queen.”
I went into this expecting a dark sister fantasy story and I was half right. While A River of Royal Blood is filled with whimsy and unique magic, it’s really Princess Eva’s story with her sister Isadore playing a small role. Born with a feared blood
Laura Silverman
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
EPICALLY GOOD.
Y'all don't even know.
But you want to know.
So preorder the second you have a chance.
Jude: The Epic Reader
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
3.5*

I liked it well enough but only when I was actually reading it. I didn't really think about it outside of reading. This book was easy to read and to understand which was nice. It definitely got better at grabbing my attention further in. I didn't know that there was a small amount of romance in it but I'm really glad that there was; it was super cute!
Bethany
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is everything I want in my YA fantasy! A River of Royal Blood is an accomplished debut with an engaging story, a well-developed and original world that is casually diverse, interesting characters, complicated relationships, unexpected twists, a bit of a forbidden romance, high stakes, and a good dose of magic. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this book and am looking forward to reading more in this world.

In Myre, queens earn their place and princesses must fight to the death for the crown
Alaina
WOW!

Guys! I honestly have no idea why I waited to so freaking long to dive into this glorious book. I mean, the edition of A River of Royal Blood that I got in one of my FairyLoot boxes was beyond gorgeous. So just looking at the sprayed pages wanted me to dive into all the mysteriousness that this book was going to bring me.

It was brought guys and I am hooked.

In the beginning, I felt bad for these two sisters: Eva and Isadora. Unlike Elsa and Anna, from Frozen, these two were complete opposite
Amanda
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
a river of royal blood by amanda joy bookstagram photo.jpg

You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 4 Stars

A River of Royal Blood was a title that I was excited for the second that I had seen its cover and read the synopsis. I had followed this book through pre-publication even though I doubted that I could get my hands on a review copy, so when I learned that the publisher was sending me one I was absolutely thrilled. This book grabbed my attention and didn’t let go. I had a hard time setting it down and now tha
Christine Spoors
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I received this book in a Fairyloot & the line in the blurb about a princess finding a Fae warrior to help her train in magic so she can fight her rival sister for the crown had me so intrigued I knew I needed to read this in 2020! This have me Three Dark Crowns & Heir of Fire vibes whilst also being so unique and really it’s own story with North-African inspiration.

Eva is a brilliant main character. I really loved reading from her POV. I definitely enjoyed the first half of the book a little mo
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
dark sibling rivalry yaaaas

i will read the fuck out of this book
Nikki
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
YAAAAS! This is the fierceness I need in my life.

This was sooo good. I absolutely loved the rich and vibrate cultures of this world. The North African inspiration was enchanting while the magic was as dark as it was captivating. The characters captured my interest (and heart) plus you have the ultimate sibling of rivalry. Talk about brutal. I absolutely devoured this beautiful book and am dying to find out what happens next. When is book two out cause I need it now?!?

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
Prereview March 2019
Ah yes, and here we see publishers begin slapping "perfect for fans of Children of Blood and Bone" onto any African inspired YA fantasy.

On a side note, I personally neither love nor hate the cover, it's okay. Looks like most YA fantasy nowadays.
These Violent Delights (Robin)
This book was one of my most anticipated releases of last year. Although, it's unfortunately not a new favorite book of mine like I thought it would be... it still was quite enjoyable.

I really loved the reveal at the end of the book though! Ugh, that was so awesome! I have a theory as to what is going on with Prince Aketo & why he was sent to guard Eva. Guess I'll have to wait until book two to know if I am correct.

Janani(ஜனனி)
Mar 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
THE COVER SLAYED ME INTO SHREDS.

• Eight Will Fall
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • Star Daughter
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)

A River of Royal Blood (2 books)
  • A ​Queen of Gilded Horns (A River of Royal Blood, #2)

Articles featuring this book

While books about anti-racism are trending on Goodreads and dominating the bestseller lists right now, some of our favorite Black authors are...