Start by marking “A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)” as Want to Read:
A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)

A River of Royal Blood

(A River of Royal Blood #1)

An enthralling debut perfect for fans of Children of Blood and Bone set in a North African-inspired fantasy world where two sisters must fight to the death to win the crown.

Sixteen-year-old Eva is a princess, born with the magick of marrow and blood--a dark and terrible magick that hasn't been seen for generations in the vibrant but fractured country of Myre. Its la
Expected publication: October 29th 2019 by Putnam

Win a Copy of This Book

• A River of Royal Blood by Amanda  Joy
    A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
    Release date: Oct 29, 2019
    Enter to win an advance reading copy of A RIVER OF ROYAL BLOOD by Amanda Joy!

(No PO boxes please)

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Natasha Ngan
    Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A sibling rivalry like nothing you’ve ever read before. Joy weaves a dark yet delicate treatise on race, heritage and power whilst never losing that addictive ‘just one more chapter’ allure. I devoured it one sitting!
    Kogiopsis
    May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Okay, so. I liked it, but... I needed it to be about twice as long.

For once I don't mean this in the simple 'I wanted more' sort of way, though I did/do. I mean that this book would have been much stronger had it been given more room to grow, and had the plot not been cut where it was for cliffhanger purposes.

See, here's the thing - this is a book fraught with emotionally complicated situations and revelations, and yet the action moves so quickly that those emotions never really get explored. T
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    Dec 15, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
    this will be a super dark, morally ambiguous, duel to the death, correct
    Laura Silverman
    Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    EPICALLY GOOD.
    Y'all don't even know.
    But you want to know.
    So preorder the second you have a chance.
    Tucker
    Jun 30, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    Shelves: reviewed
    loving this cover
    Vanshika Prusty
    Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019-releases
    This is going to be epic. Y’all aren’t ready for it
    ♠️ TABI ♠️
    Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
    the magic in here is super special cause it's got a K
    Rachel Strolle
    Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    HELL YEAH
    Janani(ஜனனி)
    Mar 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
    THE COVER SLAYED ME INTO SHREDS.
    Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
    Mar 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2019, fantasy
    Prereview March 2019
    Ah yes, and here we see publishers begin slapping "perfect for fans of Children of Blood and Bone" onto any African inspired YA fantasy.

On a side note, I personally neither love nor hate the cover, it's okay. Looks like most YA fantasy nowadays.
    Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
    dark sibling rivalry yaaaas

i will read the fuck out of this book
    Sami
    Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Joy shows massive talent in her stellar worldbuilding and tricky premise. l loved the complex system of magic and rich history of the kingdoms. My only complaint is how much I hated Eva's mother and sister. Truly, they were so awful that I was ready for Eva to end them all. Luckily, Eva is much more level-headed than me and in true heroine style, grows as a person over the course of the book.
    ♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
    **Update 05/10/2019**

why the hell is this not out yet and how do i get my hands on an arc?!
    Chloe
    Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
    *Spoiler free*

Just from the title alone, I wanted to read this book. It sounds dark and a dark royal story sounds amazing. Then it just sounds better from the synopsis. I've recently fallen in love with sister stories and this one sounded complicated and bloody. There's also a Queendom, terrible magick, and handsome princes.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one overall. I didn't love it, but I liked it well enough. I almost put it down, but I decided to push through since there were a few thing
    mghrebia
    Mar 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
    ok looks interesting but i have to say i'm curious why this book is being marketed as north african. nothing about it looks north african. not the names, or character, clothes on the cover or anything. it doesn't appear to be own voices so i'm extremely skeptical.
    Bang Bang Books
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
    I love that cover but this book was just okay.

The Issues I Had:
    *Villains-The sister is supposed to be the villain, obviously, but when she's on the page which is barely, she's one-dimensional. Her magick is mind control-okay. Does she do anything special or new with it? Nope, she just uses it to make the people follow her-insert eye roll. The mom is also a villain but we've seen these mommy issues in other books.

*Character Development-There wasn't much. There are about eight major characters but
    Jouska
    Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: own, arc, amazing, ya, favorites, fantasy
    This book was such an unexpected, exhilarating delight, I fear I don't have the right words for this.

First, it was brilliantly written! Eva's voice rang powerful and unique throughout the story. The world itself is full of wonder, but each magical delight hides cruel origins, that people are willing to forget in order to rule. Then came the amazing plot, built on such personal, heart-deep stakes, that I felt all the little twists etched on the skin.

Finally, I loved all characters, especially th
    booksneedcaffeinetoo
    Mar 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
    THIS IS ONE OF THE PRETTIEST BOOK COVERS I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the power
    the energy
    that eye contact

G O R G E O U S
    Alyssa
    Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019
    4.25-4.5 stars. RTC. A huge thank you to the publisher and Edelweiss for an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
    Tahirah
    I’m still so conflicted about this book.

I loved the world and the rich culture that just flew off the pages. I loved the the idea of sisters fighting for the crown. I loved that it was very much focused on women. I loved the different races of the characters and the different magical beings. I loved the depiction of Eva and her moms relationship, I related so freakin much. I loved the writing as well. It just flowed effortlessly. I will say that I LOVED Prince Aketo. The representation of this
    A.R. Hellbender
    DNF on page 200.
    Sadly, this book was not for me. Though I’m addicted to books about fights to the death, this one just didn’t sell me because I felt like there was no urgency to the fight, there’s nothing keeping the main character there, and there isn’t anything particularly interesting about any of the characters.
    Lucas Verbunt
    May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3,5*

Liked it, but is wasn’t amazing. Sometimes it was a little info-dumpy and I kinda felt a little removed from the characters. The plot and the world are really cool tho!
    Yara
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
    This was a really enjoyable read. I really liked the MC Eva and the fae mage Baccha who helps her learn to use her magic. The author does a nice job of transporting the reader to this mythical African inspired magical world. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
    Fifi
    Aug 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
    WOW WOW WOW THIS SOUNDS SO COOL the title alone made me want to read this instantly. You bet your ass I’m bookmarking this one!
    Cat
    Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: reviews
    A River of Royal Blood ✵ Amanda Joy ✵ 3.5/5

“Blood had no place among all this royal blue and white.”

A River of Royal Blood was a solid debut novel and had a lot of potential, but it didn’t consistently live up to that potential.

For starters, the voice of the main character felt very much like a lot of other YA protagonists. In the first half of the book, Eva was constantly swinging between confidence, desire, and ineptitude. One moment she was a powerful fighter who had a bad relationship with h
    Tabor
    I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review

Fantastic and original. There's so much to love about Amanda Joy's first novel, the world is well thought out, contains realistic political drama, family intrigue and of course, adulterated history, which can still be felt hundreds of years later. This story is about humans ruining everything. Eight generations before this book, Queen Raina killed off khimaer royalty and succeeded the throne giving precedent to the Rival Heir tradition. Sisters
    Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)
    (I received a free eARC for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own)

Book review: A river of royal blood (A river of royal blood #1) by Amanda Joy (3.5 stars)

“It is important to remember that power can’t be swayed. Power simply is.”

A river of royal blood (A river of royal blood #1) by Amanda Joy
    Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
    Rating: 3.5/5 stars

(Synopsis from Goodreads)
    Kristyn Schrier
    Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc
    Wow! I loved this book.
    At first I wasn't too sure if I was going to like it, but after the first few chapters it really got me hooked! I love this idea of rival heirs and having to fight for the throne. Eva and her sister have two very different types of magic and both are to be feared equally. And now that Wva is coming of age, it is time for the fight of their lives if only Eva can master her magic first. There are many lies, half truths and omissions that Eva must wade through if she ever hop
    Jessica
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Eva was born with powerful magic that was partially bound to protect her safety, But, when she turns 17, it will be a fight to the death with her sister, Isa. Only one of them can become queen, and Eva hasn’t learned to control her magic. Just weeks before the battle for her life and the throne is to commence, Eva faces an assassination attempt. Now she knows she will need training from the best fey instructor and the full strength of her magic. But, becoming queen means killing her sister and b ...more
    (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Kasey ♥
    **Disclaimer: I was given an excerpt of this book in exchange for an honest review/first impression.**

First - not sure where the hate is coming from in regards to the cover? It looks like a typical YA Fantasy novel.

The idea of siblings fighting to the death for control of a Queendom is always exciting, especially when magic comes into play. I liked the beginning where the "Harkening" is similar to when Catholics choose a new pope.

Of course, based on the prologue, and then the excerpt, I think

• The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
    • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
    • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
    • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
    • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
    • The Bright and the Pale
    • Nameless Queen
    • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
    • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
    • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
    • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
    • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
    • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
    • Goddess in the Machine
    • Woven in Moonlight
    • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
    • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
    • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)

A River of Royal Blood (2 books)
    • Untitled (A River of Royal Blood #2)