Start by marking “The Light at the Bottom of the World” as Want to Read:
The Light at the Bottom of the World

The Light at the Bottom of the World

(The Light at the Bottom of the World #1)

Hope had abandoned them to the wrath of all the waters.

At the end of the twenty-first century, the world has changed dramatically, but life continues one thousand feet below the ocean's surface. In Great Britain, sea creatures swim among the ruins of Big Ben and the Tower of London, and citizens waver between fear and hope; fear of what lurks in the abyss, and hope that hu
Expected publication: October 29th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Light at the Bottom of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light at the Bottom of the World

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Dec 14, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
"Set in a future where the Earth is underwater, the book follows 16-year-old Leyla McQueen, a British Muslim submersible racer, who must navigate the treacherous abyss to find her missing father." this is such a fantastic and creative premise and I can't wait! [also, the author is such a sweetheart. oh my god.]
London Shah
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hiiii :-) Can't wait to welcome you guys into my submerged world, and to introduce you to Leyla McQueen. Join her on her underwater adventure as she navigates the eerie and exquisite deep to solve the ever-growing mystery of her missing papa—and discovers along the way that they're all basically drowning in lies... I'm so incredibly excited and October can't come around soon enough!

Maria Hossain
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I was one of the lucky few who got to read and fall in love with this book long before others. Yesssss!!!

This book is insanely good. The characters aren't your typical YA characters, rather all have their own back stories and needs and goals. Plus Leyla, the protagonist, is a British Muslim girl of Afghan descent, and being both South Asian and Muslim myself, I related in so many ways to her.

Also, the author London Shah is an amazing person, almost like a mentor to me. I consider myself lucky to
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
I love me some sci-fi
Laura Weymouth
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Light at the Bottom of the World is a gorgeous, hope-filled underwater adventure that always leaves room for wonder.

Leyla McQueen makes a refreshing change as a YA main character--she's unquenchably optimistic, and driven by her love of family. Her world is an absolute delight to explore--author London Shah does a brilliant job of portraying a submerged London, along with all the extraordinary and mundane aspects of life below the sea. The story is pacy, the setting lush and original, but i
mith
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-publication
i can't think about McQueen without being reminded of Lightning McQueen.

...

Anyway. I'm excited about this!!
Silanur
Mar 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
update: the author liked it hahaha

MUSLIM MAIN CHARACTER

MUSLIM MAIN CHARACTER!!!

yes please
Courtney
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Light at the Bottom of the World is literal magic.

I'm humbled and honored to have been an early reader. These characters and their hearts still live with me. Leyla is what the world needs, especially now.

The SETTING is so entirely cinematic--immersive, stunning, gorgeously detailed, and joyfully imaginative.

Everything about this book will sweep you away and fill you with hope.

The first of many beauties from the immensely talented and lovely London Shah.
helena
Mar 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019
release date: october 29th
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this manuscript and loved it! I can't wait to see how it has evolved!
Ivy
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-19
The world deserves more young adult submarine-related fiction.
Lindsay Galvin
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Light at the Bottom of the World is a thrilling underwater adventure set in the unique setting of a submerged London of the future.

Leyla McQueen is a captivating protagonist; determined, hotheaded and always driven by her love of her family. The relationships between characters are well drawn and moving, I really felt for Leyla and bought into her worldview, and she is the perfect pilot to speed the reader through the terrors and delights of a world submerged. The writing is as epic as the
Estella Mirai
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to be one of the earliest readers of this book, and ohhhh my goodness, readers, it is fantastic. The world building is fabulous—both in terms of introducing the speculative elements and in introducing London to this reader who has never been there (yet!).

Layla is such a fun, flawed, and nuanced character that you can’t help but feel for her, and I became invested in her story right away. The supporting cast is marvelous as well, and no spoilers, but there are some genuinely tear
Monica Hoffman
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was very fortunate to read this epic deep sea adventure before it even landed a publishing deal and I thought then as I do now, this is a out of this world story, unique in every way, and something YA has been missing! I can't wait to get my hands on the real book! Get ready for a thrill ride in a submarine!
Megan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the distinct pleasure of reading an early draft of this novel and I can't wait to read it upon release. 'Early draft?' you say. 'It has to have changed! I cry foul!'

To you I say, there are some things that always stick with a book, no matter what draft it is.
In this case, readers can look forward to
1. A witty, compassionate, and strong main character. This is a girl taking charge of a submersible and risking everything to save her papa.
2. A gorgeous underwater world. This author has a ta
Audrey
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be an early reader for this book, and fell in love instantly.

A true adventure, you'll plunge into a world that is both familiar and strange. Underwater London, with only submersibles for travel, combining the majesty of ocean scenes with a futuristic civilization.

Combine a gorgeous setting with a cast of characters that will draw you completely in, political intrigue, and danger on every side, and you, like me, won't be able to put it down. Although you, future readers, wi
Cindy
Shelves: 2017, scifi, young-adult
I had the privilege of reading an early draft of this gorgeous book earlier this year, and I can't say enough good things about the loveliness of the prose, the uniqueness of the story, and the pluck and courage of the protagonist. Shah's vision of an underwater London is so vividly drawn, and Leyla is the kind of character you just can't help rooting for. ❤ I'm so excited to see this book out in the world! ...more
Gabriel Dylan
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a book! It had me from the first page, with the vivid, evocative descriptions of futuristic, sunken London streets, and never let go. The submarine chases through the underwater city were fantastic, and Leyla is such a fantastic heroine. It was also so refreshing to see a Muslim central character, one who listens to punk rock and can take on anyone as the pilot of her own mini submersible. I feel very privileged to have had a sneak peak of this, and I'm sure it will be a HUGE hit!
Rachel Sh
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading a very early draft of this quite some time ago now and all I can say is this book and author completely deserve the recognition - I am so, so happy it’s finally getting published! The world and storyline in Shah’s novel is unlike anything I’ve ever come across in YA fiction. Incredibly fast-paced and so easy and fun to fly through! I can only imagine how good it must be now if I read an early manuscript!
Sarah Juckes
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I whizzed through this book. I don't think I've been as addicted to a new world since The Hunger Games! Wonderful to see diversity at the core of an action/adventure/sci-fi story, too. One for your to-read list, for sure.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
OKAY THAT'S AN INTERESTING COVER
Iryna KL
Mar 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Oh this sounds good!
Carissa
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
I was one of the few who was lucky enough to read a draft of this early on, and oh my word, can I just say, you all are in for treat!! Submersible racing in an alternate future Underwater London??? Umm yess!

Leyla is a devastatingly endearing character and her antics both on and off the racecourse will have you alternately giggling and in tears. And this is all to say nothing of the intrigue surrounding her Papa’s disappearance and the astonishing secrets she uncovers about her world while search
Lina~Blackbird Queen
Nov 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
Hi, this sounds epic and I need it right now.

(Also, I follow this author, and she's a total sweetheart. Just sayin')
Ruben
Feb 28, 2019 marked it as maybe
JELLYFISH!!
Anna Bright
Mar 29, 2018
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Nameless Queen
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World #1)
  • Eight Will Fall (Eight Will Fall #1)
  • Incendiary
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Bone Grace (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • Kingdom of Souls
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Borderland
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
Author London Shah is a British-born Muslim of Afghan descent. She has lived in Britain's capital city for most of her life via England's beautiful North. When she's not busy re-imagining the past, plotting an alternate present or dreaming up a surreal future, then she's most likely drinking copious amounts of tea, eating all the sweets and cakes, strolling through Richmond Park or along the Thame ...more

The Light at the Bottom of the World (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Light at The Bottom of The World #2)