Start by marking “Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)

Exit Strategy

(The Murderbot Diaries #4)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  23,295 ratings  ·  2,507 reviews
Murderbot wasn't programmed to care. So, its decision to help the only human who ever showed it respect must be a system glitch, right?

Having traveled the width of the galaxy to unearth details of its own murderous transgressions, as well as those of the GrayCris Corporation, Murderbot is heading home to help Dr. Mensah — its former owner (protector? friend?) — submit evid
Published October 2nd 2018 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Exit Strategy, please sign up.
Igor Koyfman You have to read them in order or you won't understand a thing. Murderbot goes through numerous modifications and upgrades that make absolutely no sen…moreYou have to read them in order or you won't understand a thing. Murderbot goes through numerous modifications and upgrades that make absolutely no sense if you haven't followed the series from the start. The good news is it only takes a couple of hours to read each one.(less)

·  23,295 ratings  ·  2,507 reviews

Start your review of Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4+ stars, pushing 4.5. This fourth novella wraps up the initial set of the adventures of Murderbot. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Murderbot, the snarky, introverted cyborg hero of Martha Wells’ THE MURDERBOT DIARIES series, returns from its trip to Milu, the deserted terraforming facility in space. The cyborg Security Unit ― which has committed the unprecedented crime of hacking its “governor” that required it to obey orders ― was searching on Milu for additional evidence against th
Karl
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Martha Wells latest installment of the “Murderbot Diaries” is volume number four, reportedly the last of the ‘diaries’; this one is titled “Exit Strategy”. For those that have read any of this amazing series, already know that murerbot is not really a bot (robot) or technically a murderer. He is a highly augmented human who is gainfully employed as a security unit. He guards the lives of those who hire him.

Not only is ‘He’ highly intelligent ‘He’ is also personal and is burdened with empathy
carol.
"I had a complex emotional reaction. A whole new burst of neural connections blossomed. Oh right, I often have complex emotional reactions which I can't easily interpret."

Murberbot continues its adventures, and exploring the learning curve of what it means to be a Murderbot. Absolutely solid balance between planning, action, and dialogue in this installment.

"It was very dramatic, like something out of a historical adventure serial. Also correct in every aspect except for all the facts, like some
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Murderbot/Rin is the best!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Elise (TheBookishActress)
It was very dramatic, like something out of a historical adventure serial. Also correct in every aspect except for all the facts, like something out of a historical adventure serial.

Amazing. As always.

I’ve written a full review for the Murderbot series before, so I guess the biggest thing I have to say about this conclusion novella is that it sticks to everything it has already succeeded at. This series is… so much fun, and also one of my favorite examples of playing with tropes I’ve
Kevin Kuhn
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is novella four in the Murderbot Diaries series. It wraps up an overarching storyline but leaves plenty of possibilities to continue following the exploits of the delightful, if antisocial and introverted, Murderbot. I enjoyed the episodic structure of this series, but it does pay a price in the form of slow starts. Author Wells is forced to cover background events and some repeat worldbuilding in order to catch up new readers, or readers who have paused in between novellas.

Like “Rogue Pro
Nataliya
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2020-reads
“I don’t want to be human.”
“That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”
And so, my friends, we have arrived at the conclusion of Murderbot novella series - the four stories that made sure that what seems like every other word out of my mouth over the last week has been ‘Murderbot’. And this conclusion is g
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Niki's Narrative Novella Review [Part 4/4]: I entered into this final installment a little worried. For the character, for my emotions, for that heightened expectations that comes from reaching the end of something truly fantastic and hoping the quality holds up. I was not disappointed. Exit Strategy had the perfect balance of all the amazing elements that make this series so special. Did I shed a tear at some point during this book? I can’t remember. It might have been a combination of laughing ...more
Manuel Antão
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Emotions Galore: “Exit Strategy” by Martha Wells

“’I don’t want to be human.’
[...]
Dr. Mensah said: [...] ‘We tend to think that because a bot or a construct looks human, its ultimate goal would be to become human.’
‘That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.’”

In “Exit Strategy” by Martha Wells

SecUnits are sentient constructs, part machine, part organic, largely human in form and created in part with human tissue, that are owned by compani
Richard Derus
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
This is the point in the series when Murderbot comes in from the cold. Nothing about this read is emotionally easy because Murderbot is so confused. Until the organic memories can be fully integrated into its systems, emotions will keep flooring it. Author Wells gets all five stars for this entry in the series because that integration is not an easy thing for Murderbot, or in fact for the organic being reading its diary.

(Possibly I was overthinking this. I do that; it’s the anxiety that comes wi
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-reading right before Network Effect comes out on Tuesday 5/5. So happy to hang with Murderbot again.

Holds up well. Totally excited to jump into a new story tomorrow.

Original Review

Murderbot, so far has been un unexpected treat. I love the journey I’ve taken with the Cyborg security unit gone rogue that for the most part just wants to be left alone to watch media, but instead gets dragged into protecting the stupid humans who seem to be in danger all the time. Even more surprising is how It is
Phrynne
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
Gosh I have enjoyed this series so much.

In Exit Strategy Murderbot gets himself into even more trouble than usual and practically the whole book is action as he escapes from seemingly impossible situations and rescues various people against all odds. As the books have gone along he has increased his capabilities with every event and by now he can apparently control whole space stations with his hacking abilities.

I suppose I should really say 'it', not he, but by now Murderbot seems practically
Montzalee Wittmann
Exit Strategy by Martha Wells is book 4 in the series. I read the first one but have listened to the rest. Since book one, I picture the unisex murderbot more female than male but in book two it seems more male.
Either way, it is certainly has more humanity than most humans. The story is peppered with humor, lots of action, adventure, corporate intrigue, and fantastic tech busting from our favorite murderbot! It is a super hacker on two artificial legs! A wild ride through the universe with one
Gary
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything comes full circle for Murderbot in the conclusion to Wells’ quadrilogy of novellas. The GrayCris Corporation takes Doctor Mensah hostage, believing her responsible for the difficulties Murderbot has caused them. Murderbot must affect a rescue of its friend without giving up the goods it has on GrayCris and while almost certainly walking into a trap. Wells weaves together all the elements that have made this series such a rousing success: caustic humor, lightning-paced and suspenseful ...more
Bradley
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This latest and perhaps last Diary wraps up a very interesting time for our wonderful Security Bot.

Who knew that going completely rogue, hacking his/her own programming, and calling no shots but his/her own could be so HAIRY?

Oh, wait... EVERYONE knew that. :)

I know I just got done hacking my own programming and just went through the exact same issues as our favorite Murderbot. Guilt. Emotion. Friendship. Yeah. I hate all those things, too.

But at least I have my SF soaps! Soaps make everything go
Melindam
“(Possibly I was overthinking this. I do that; it’s the anxiety that comes with being a part-organic murderbot. The upside was paranoid attention to detail. The downside was also paranoid attention to detail.)”

“By tricky I meant I was getting an average of an 85 percent chance of failure and death, and it was only that low because my last diagnostic said my risk assessment module was wonky. (I know, that explains a lot about me.)”

Satisfaction level: 100% - Still reeling from impact!
Content
Gavin
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a fun conclusion to Martha Wells The Murderbot Diaries novella series.

I'm a big fan of Well's capitalist future gone awry sci-fi world and of her memorable and fantastic lead character, the security unit, Murderbot! Our favourite grumpy, socially anxious, security bot is this series only POV character and that really works as Murderbot is a truly unique character with an engaging voice. That unique voice allows Wells the ability to get both humour and touching emotional moments into t
Choko
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

"...“I don’t want to be human.” Dr. Mensah said, “That’s not an attitude a lot of humans are going to understand. We tend to think that because a bot or a construct looks human, its ultimate goal would be to become human.” “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”..."
― Martha Wells, Exit Strategy
Lata
2020-04: I'm definitely giving Murderbot all the big display surfaces it wants. And not looking at it while I tell it how much I enjoy spending time with it.

2018-11: 5 big display surfaces for this wrap-up of the story started in the first Murderbot Diaries story.
Murderbot reunites with the team he was protecting in book one, only to find that GrayCris is holding Dr. Mensah hostage. Murderbot, cranky and super sarcastic as always, must find a way to deal with this new situation. Which it does,
Milda Page Runner
Well, this was awesome.
Can't wait to see my favourite Murderbot again in the full length novel.
Alissa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
5 full stars. More, please.

I knew interpreting the emotional subtext in the speech and appearance of real humans was completely different from interpreting it in shows and serials. (For one thing, the shows and serials were trying to communicate accurately with the viewer. As far as I could tell, real humans usually didn’t know what the hell they were doing.)

HBalikov
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“So, you’re a SecUnit.” She made a half-shrug gesture I didn’t understand. “Is that … weird?” It was a complicated question with a simple answer. “Yes.”

The Security Robot, self-described as “Murderbot” is a deft creation by Wells. It has cut its “controller” ties, so it is its own boss. This is the fourth episode and Murderbot has developed some tricks to keep from being recognized as a rogue SecUnit is the world of humans and “augmented” humans. By Exit Strategy, it is trying to determine the b
Justine
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, novella
A fine conclusion to the story arc that began in All Systems Red. Murderbot is reunited with Dr. Mensah and others from the Preservation Survey Team much changed and approaching self-acceptance of personhood. That doesn't mean there is any less action in this one. The ride continues to be rough both physically and emotionally.

My only complaint about this series is that I think I would have preferred to read them all consecutively. They really are serial installments in a single story, and I feel
Veronique
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2018, scifi, favourites
4.5*

“I don’t want to be human.”

What we hoped finally happens. Murderbot upon finding out that Dr Mensah and her team are in danger decides to come to the rescue.

Yes, this is a Space Opera kind of story with great action scenes, but ultimately it is Rin’s character that grabs you. Its self deprecation and snarky side are so relatable and likeable, but even more so is witnessing Its psychological and emotional development.

Trust Wells to give us a great ‘open’ resolution to this series of novella
Lindsay
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Murderbot has been striking out on its own for a couple of novellas now, but when it learns that its actions have caused trouble for Dr Mensah, everyone's favorite introverted killing machines does everything it can to get back to where it can to help out. Pretty soon it reunites with Mensah's crew in an effort to free her and defeat the evil GrayCris Corporation in the process.

Murderbot is wonderful. Renewing the contact with Mensah and her crew as the only humans who actually know it for what
Mir
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be my favorite Murderbot after the first one.
It was nice to see the Preservation gang again.
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020

When I got back to HaveRatton Station, a bunch of humans tried to kill me. Considering how much I’d been thinking about killing a bunch of humans, it was only fair.

The final novella from the diaries of a runaway security robot tries to find a way to solve the tricky issue of It either going back into the fold of society on its own terms, or going out in a blaze of glory. Hence the title.
The choice has been forced on Murderbot by the same evil corporation featured in the previous episodes, Gray
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/10/22/...

Exit Strategy closes out the Murderbot Diaries quartet of novellas, and while it’s a bit on the tame side compared to all that came before, I couldn’t have asked for a better ending to tie everything together. For those who have been on this crazy ride since the beginning, you will also be delighted to know this book takes us back to the beginning, to the event and people who started it all.

At the end of the last book, Mur
Mel (Epic Reading)
It appears this is the last (for now, written Feb 2019) of the Murderbot Diaries novellas from Martha Wells. The good news out of this is that we are getting a full length novel!! That's right a lot more Murderbot coming our way soon.

What can I tell you about this book... if you already liked the first three novellas you'll enjoy this one too. It brings our favourite bot full circle. Back to the company of the original crew in All Systems Red. Except this time they have the data to cause a sti
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time with this newest installment in the Murderbot Diaries series. After reading the previous three installments in the series, I knew that I was going to have to read about Murderbot's further adventures just as soon as I could. This is a novella length piece that could easily be read in a single evening. I do think that this series is best read in order since this newest entry touched on things that happened in previo
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Exit Strategy [Oct 9, 2018] 10 38 Oct 12, 2018 09:20AM
New Murderbots discussion group! 1 16 Sep 17, 2018 08:57AM

• The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)
  • The Light Brigade
  • The Raven Tower
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3)
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Mysterious Study of Doctor Sex
Martha Wells has written many fantasy novels, including The Books of the Raksura series (beginning with The Cloud Roads), the Ile-Rien series (including The Death of the Necromancer) as well as YA fantasy novels, short stories, media tie-ins (for Star Wars and Stargate: Atlantis), and non-fiction. Her most recent fantasy novel is The Harbors of the Sun in 2017, the final novel in The Books of the ...more

The Murderbot Diaries (6 books)
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)

Articles featuring this book

Here there be dragons, superheroes, aliens, and warlords. In the coming months, readers will get to return to Westeros and the All Souls...
“I was having an emotion, and I hate that.” 33 likes
“It would have been hilarious if I wasn’t about to die. It was still a little hilarious.” 17 likes