Start by marking “Unbeaten: Rocky Marciano's Fight for Perfection in a Crooked World” as Want to Read:
Unbeaten: Rocky Marciano's Fight for Perfection in a Crooked World

Unbeaten: Rocky Marciano's Fight for Perfection in a Crooked World

From the bestselling author of The Prince of Providence, a revelatory biography of Rocky Marciano, the greatest heavyweight champion of all time.

The son of poor Italian immigrants, with short arms and stubby legs, Rocky Marciano accomplished a feat that eluded legendary heavyweight champions like Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Muhammad Ali, and Mike Tyson: He never lost a profes
Published June 26th 2018 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Unbeaten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbeaten

Steve Donoghue
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A superb, energetic biography - and a thrilling account of the boxing matches themselves! Here's my full review:
Jeff
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jeff by: Andy M.
Shelves: martial-arts
My rating is exclusively personal and should not be construed as an assessment of this book's value as a biography. I'm incapable of rating biographies because i pretty much never read them. They tend to leave me cold because they are mere collections of facts (paraphrasing a fellow goodreadster's review of this book).

This book collects and organizes myriad events from and facts about Rocky Marciano's life. That might be enough for most. It was just enough for me to read the whole thing.

I wonde
Lance
While this book covering the life and career of Rocky Marciano is informative and rich in detail, this very attention to detail made it a tough one for me to read. I found myself going back to try to connect my current page to what was being written previously. It's a good book for boxing historians and researchers but for a casual fan just wanting to learn a little more on the legend that is Marcianao, it bogs down in too many spot. I'll give it three stars as it may be good for some readers, b ...more
Andrew
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent biography of Marciano with emphasis on his unbeaten string—an unbelievable record in sports. Details his entire life in the context of the times. Argument can be made based on this book that Marciano was the greatest of all time. Well written, fast paced and with information I hadn’t come across before. Recommended.
P.e. lolo
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports-biography
I think if you are into boxing or the history of boxing or sports then this is a book for you. For me this was right up my alley. No I had never seen Rocky fight other than a few old black and white films at times, but I grew up with a dad that was into boxing. His generation boxing was a sport a way of life and every Friday night I would sit with him and we would watch any fight that would come on. This book reminded me of those times. The author takes you through his years growing up and then ...more
David
Jul 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Painful to read. Lots of details, but written like bullet points. Just not interested in Rocky enough to read past the first 5 chapters.
Writemoves
What I knew about Rocky Marciano before I read the book was that he retired as an undefeated Heavyweight Champion. I did not know about his conduct during World War that got him locked up in jail. I did not know of the mob's influence in his career. I did not realize that his list of opponents while he was champion were of dubious quality, boxers who were on the way down like Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe Walcott. Marciano retired right before he would have had to fight the likes of C ...more
Mario
Initially I found this quite a slog to get through. The first third of the book or so, I felt there was a lot of description and the only reason I kept going was because of all boxing's great icons, I knew the least about Rocky Marciano. The previous book I read was about Muhammad Ali and maybe Rocky and his life suffered in comparison to Ali's and his larger than life persona.

I preferred the book as it went on when Rocky's fights and fame got bigger and learned about his life after retirement.
Brett Van Gaasbeek
I did not know a great deal about Marciano before reading the book. The details the author provides are very specific and interesting. It takes awhile for the book to get going, but once the reader makes it to his steady climb to the top of the boxing world, the book moves along a a decent clip. The only issue I had with the reading is the constant interruption of the story to provide unnecessary details that I think the author found intriguing and felt the need to utilize, but seem to slow down ...more
Mark "Lefty" Holencik
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I always like reading the events that happened in a persons life that molds them. These events in Rocky's life is why he was able to rise to Heavy Weight Champion of the World and retire undefeated. Rocky fought in a sport controlled by the Mafia and retired undefeated and stay retired and keep his self respect is no small feat.
The comments on Rocky's ability before people fought him and then after he hit them and beat them were great. The power in his punches kept him undefeated till he could
Hezekiah
A great read about an unorthodox champ who wanted a better life. He was a simplified yet complex figure who's boxing changed the life of his family and community. He was the life blood of Brockton, MA and the rebirth of a dying sport. While he wasn't perfect in life, he was perfect in the ring and a model citizen. This is a good book for anyone who wants to learn more about boxing and how a heavyweight champion is not born but made.
Patrick Macke
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
It's a classic, nostalgic story of a commoner rising to royalty ... like the fighter, the story is written in a nuts-and-bolts, brown-paper-bag style, yet it still celebrates a time and a place and an era in sports that can never happen again ... when you hear the name Rocky, in virtually any context, you see the face of Marciano and it shall forever stand for blue-collar ethics, a right hook named Suzie Q and "champion"
Michael
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This story is so much more than boxing. A great look at the boxing career of Rocky Marciano, his childhood, environment and the sport itself. Told in an enjoyable easy to read manner. You feel the story as it unfolds. Provided a lot of great information showcasing an amazing time in history. I won this book in a GoodReads Giveaway.
Doug Cornelius
I’ll admit that I’m a homer. I grew up in Rocky Marciano’s hometown. My high school football was played at Rocky Marciano stadium.

Unbeaten tells the story of Rocky’s life and his ascent to being an undefeated heavyweight champion.
Emily Nelson
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best

Just read this. It's so so great. I love boxing but knew so little about Rocky Marciano! I cried numerous times while reading this book. I laughed, I was nervous, I could not out it down. I could not recommend it more highly. Ten stars.
Ronald Bloomstein
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doesn’t get much better than a Brockton boy learning al about the Brockton of his father’s time. Fun and educational, most importantly well researched and well written.
Lenny
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike Stanton spent a lot of time and effort in his research for this book. Very well written and presented!
Steve
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well researched and an easy, quick read. Very comprehensive.
James Evans
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, politics, sports
A fun read. Kind of a repetitive bio at times. Really enjoyed the detail to Rock's story, way above the fights.
Nancy
Fight for your life

A long life for an under dog. It shows that anyone can turn their life around. I am recommending this to my WOMEN friends
Doris Moore

• The Last Pass: Cousy, Russell, the Celtics, and What Matters in the End
  • The Yucks: Two Years in Tampa with the Losingest Team in NFL History
  • Wilt, 1962: The Night of 100 Points and the Dawn of a New Era
  • The Man Who Saw a Ghost: The Life and Work of Henry Fonda
  • Electric October: Seven World Series Games, Six Lives, Five Minutes of Fame That Lasted Forever
  • Churchill: The Prophetic Statesman
  • Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned Alaska's Political Establishment Upside Down
  • Taming the Tiger from the Depths of Hell to the Heights of Glory: The Remarkable True Story of a Kung Fu World Champion
  • 1954: The Year Willie Mays and the First Generation of Black Superstars Changed Major League Baseball Forever
  • Jefferson the President: Second Term, 1805-1809
  • Forever Young: My Friendship with John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • Escape from the Land of Snows: The Young Dalai Lama's Harrowing Flight to Freedom and the Making of a Spiritual Hero
  • President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination
  • The Good Son: The Life of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini
  • Against All Odds: My Life of Hardship, Fast Breaks, and Second Chances
  • Full Battle Rattle: My Story as the Longest-Serving Special Forces A-Team Soldier in American History
  • Maybe You Never Cry Again