Start by marking “How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom” as Want to Read:
How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom

How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom

Nolan Grant is sixteen, gay, and (definitely) still a virgin. He's never had a boyfriend, or even been kissed. It's not like Penn Valley is brimming with prospects. And when his big sister stages an elaborate “prom-posal” so Nolan can ask out his not-so-secret crush, Nolan freezes. He's saved from further embarrassment by bad boy Bern, who, for his own reasons, offers to f ...more
Published April 23rd 2019 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom, please sign up.
S.J. Goslee Hi there! thank you so much for your question! I confess I had to do a quick search of my digital copy because I wanted to be as sure as possible, but…moreHi there! thank you so much for your question! I confess I had to do a quick search of my digital copy because I wanted to be as sure as possible, but there is no emphasis on being a virgin! It's just about dating and kissing, and Nolan doesn't even seem to think that's as important as Daphne :)(less)

☆ Todd
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it

Funny, frustrating story was funnily frustrating.

This book had a lot of humor, but read almost like some sort of "stream of consciousness" story, where the MC, Nolan (aka "Grant") just stumbled aimlessly through his days, with the reader playing witness to his odd, awkward, artistic nerdiness.

And while a lot of the situations had me smiling, I also found myself thinking, "OMG, *where* is this story going, and *when* is it going to gain some focus and actually *get* there?"

The frustration for
✨    jamieson   ✨
Dec 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
screaming bc the fake dating trope is my favourite ever and I love some good queer content
anna (readingpeaches)
you can just tell that goslee writes fics..... like, she gets it, you know??? she gets how fake dating is supposed to work, how pining is supposed to work......
ugh this is just *kisses fingers like a chef*

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow
Hollis
HOW (NOT) TO ASK A BOY TO PROM is a cutesy, laugh out loud, fake-dating LGBTQ YA contemporary that somehow both surprised and delighted me and also felt a little.. lacking.

Googling "how to fake date" -- since I obviously have no idea how to read date, either -- brings up a treasure trove of fanfiction that I bookmark for later, but is otherwise super unhelpful.

There are a lot of things at play in Goslee's book and because we're only given vague explanations it skips along as if we're already in
Malanie
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

DNF @ 50% sadly this book was so boring?????? rtc on all the reasons why I couldn't focus at all
rin 눈_눈 READ RED, WHITE & ROYAL BLUE
fake dating? misunderstandings that come with it? the drama? secondhand embarrassment? THE FLAVOR?
c,
i think i probably prefer whatever but this was so good too

(4.5)

Rep: gay mc, Jewish bi li, Korean-American lesbian side character
milou  ☁️
DNF ~ 30 pages

i'm going to dnf this because i'm not able to connect with any of the characters or the story. perhaps i've become to old to care about high school books anymore because i'm not being able to get into any of these stories lately i think they're too immature

so yeah i'm not going to invest any more of my time into this
Kris Kogane
This is pg (pg-13?) and the characters aren't super fleshed out BUT OMG WHO CARES. /SOBS

THIS IS SUPER GAY AND SUPER CUTE AND SUPER EASY TO READ AND KALDKASKDASDFDW. The gays win at love. THEY DO, OKAY? THEY JUST DO.

/WEEPS IN GAY
Darcy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a super cute fake-dating rom-com for the LGBT crowd, which doesn't usually get representation with that trope.

Nolan is gay and perpetually single, and according to loving-but-slightly-overbearing sister older Daphne, that is a problem. So she makes a decision for him. He can ask out specific one guy to prom, or a different specific one (the one he has a crush on). Because he realizes he has no choice, because Daphne will keep harping on him, he tries to ask the guy he likes. But messes
Samantha (WLABB)
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I felt the same way after finishing this book as I did when I finished Goslee's debut, Whatever - extremely happy.

Once again, Goslee crafted a fabulous male protagonist, who I fell in insta-love with. Nolan was lucky enough to be adopted as a teen by the hilarious and lovable Sheffield family. He loved art, his cat, plants, narwals, his family, and keeping out of the spotlight, but, his sister, Daphne, had other plans for him. When she staged a promposal for him, which went side
Roxanne
3.5
This was pretty damn adorable.
Nolan is such a cute dork, and his absolute cluelessness is only forgiven by his zero experience in relationships. Bern is too sweet, he kind of wears his heart on his sleeve and come on Nolan open your eyes!
So I knew where the plot was going but had the best time reading this anyway. I loved the lack of insta anything, the moments building up to feelings and the appropriate awkwardness and angst that fake dating promises.

I also really loved the family dynamic
Is
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things to know about Nolan Grant:

(x)loves plants
(x)artist
(x)“summer baby, has a hard-on for narwhals, attached at the hip to Evie Cho, sucks at drawing faces, wants Purdy to drop dead,” description by Bern
(x)can’t say no to his sister
(x)like at all
(x)would even fake-date bad boy Bern because his sister made him ask out his crush because she broke with her boyfriend (who Nolan didn’t ever truly like so) but now she needs to fix Nolan’s love-life—or lack-of.

Nolan Grant’s life consists of hanging o
aleks
Well, this was certainly sweet and a lot of fun. I mean, I needed this in my life today, a day before work marathon, a week before essay deadlines, and a month before exams. And it has many iconic moments, the characters are mostly lovely, the dialogue manages to be both realistic and witty most of the time and the writing in general is good in that it's appropriate for this kind of book. Obviously, there are no beautiful, deep metaphors, but again, the dialogue is nice and it's that specific, f ...more
ngọc ♡
4.5/5

🐳 FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ON MY BLOG! 🐳

Are you looking for a lighthearted read that is both hilarious and heartwarming? That stars silly boys fake-dating each other then realizing maybe their feelings are not so fake after all? That are full of family shenanigans and chaotic friendships? That has pop culture references that don’t make you want to cringe and band references that remind you of your emo phase but not in a bad way? You’re at the right place!

(No, I did not procrastinate on wr
Carolina
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge, arc
I didn't expect to love this as much as I did (clearly I am a fool). The story basically takes some of the best parts of the faking dating trope as a checklist, and executes it in a way that still feels fun and relevant to the cast of characters. Admittedly, I am biased because I came into the story already loving this type of plot.

I adore how weird Nolan's family is, while also remaining the most loving (Daphne hits me in all the big-sister spots). And the relationship (friendship, fake dating,
Laxmama
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comming-of-age, meh, teen, ya
I was anxiously waiting for this book, I really enjoyed Goslee’s First book whatever. This one was not as much of a winner for me as her prior book. While I enjoyed the humor and quirkiness of the main character I found this book to meander quite a bit. The story had. so many side characters all going different directions but I couldn’t connect them all together. I felt like the MC’s were not fully fleshed out for me. Enjoyable not fantastic
tappkalina
One word: ADORABLE
ellie
the fake dating trope is ... the best romance trope ever

fight me
Karen
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed on For What It's Worth on May 2, 2019: https://www.fwiwreviews.net/2019/05/r...

Source: ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Review: The first few chapters of How (Not) to Ask a Boy to Prom meandered with no real direction, with characters and scenes drifting on and off the page so quickly that they barely made an impact. I was just about to dnf when the fake dating trope finally kicked in and it was all sweet, fluffy goodness from there. I’m so glad I
Sage Elizabeth
My April 2019 Book of the Month Add-On Pick
Eve
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought
This was a delightful reliving of high school and the emotional roller coaster of every little social interaction when you're a teenager. The characters were fantastic and cool, and while I got frustrated with some (a lot) of them sometimes, it was a hard book to put down because they were so engaging.

A book that made me wish I had appreciated the fun times of my high school years more when I was going though them.
emma
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-release
This was so cute!!!
Burcu
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a mix between Simon vs The Homosapiens Agenda and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before AND HAS GREAT CHARACTERS.

No wonder I loved it.
Alicia
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: artsy, family, glbt, humor, male, romance
Everyone is obsessed with the fake date trope, so this should be up all of their alleys. Nolan accidentally on purpose to save his hide prom-poses to Bern who recently split with his long time girlfriend rather than the hot guy his adopted sister picked out for him so that she doesn’t have to go to prom alone.

What ensues is Bern and Nolan’s fake dating before the real romance begins. The backdrop being a fabulously goofy and gaming family whose father enjoys cooking and everyone enjoys spending
Danielle Chambers
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, lgbt
Obviously I liked it, I finished it in less than a day.

I mean, it’s gay fake dating. How could I not love it?!
Rynn Yumako
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, lgbt-ya
A cute, pure, fun little story, YA at its best. The characters weren't extremely fleshed out, but they were memorable and quirky, the story was engaging - if a bit predictable - and it was a light, fast read with some really funny moments.

I got kind of mad at that little selective amnesia Nolan had about his past with Bern, like, how can you forget something like that? But him being told that he was kind of an asshole (a lovable, clueless asshole, but one nonetheless) was great. There were some
Anniek
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can this just be a movie already? This would truly make for a perfectly fun, heartwarming romcom! I love the fake dating trope, and it was especially amazing here because both boys are so dense, and really don't seem to realise how flimsy their reasons for "fake" dating are. I won't give anything else away but this was really cute, okay?

Rep: gay MC, bi love interest, characters of colour, f/f couple, LGBTQ+ characters

CWs: panic attack, homophobia, bullying, violence, alcohol use
Claire Haumesser
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - This was exactly what I needed! It was hilarious and had me cheering the characters on. Although there was some frustration at parts, it seemed very realistic for teenagers.
Donia Ibrahim

• Technically, You Started It
  • The Lost Coast
  • Haffling (Haffling #1)
  • If It Makes You Happy
I write books about teenagers, fanfiction about werewolves, and have a not-so-secret love of commas, run-on sentences, alt rock, and dogs. I live outside Philadelphia, PA with my husband, two sons, and an ill-advised amount of animals.

I'm terrible at social media, PR and face-to-face encounters, so I apologize if we've ever met IRL. You can most likely find me hanging out (daily) on tumblr, and lu