Jump to ratings and reviews

The Empire Saga #4

The Dark Queen

For centuries, the Empire has been enslaved to an infallible, revered Prophecy—one that controlled their every thought and action, banishing those who questioned its integrity while promising to bring a time of peace and tranquility to those who followed blindly and believed unconditionally.

But the Prophecy is flawed.

Amid broken promises and mournful lamentations, fates are changed and dreams are destroyed.

When an ancient force resurfaces and threatens to destroy all they know, new alliances are formed as the heirs to the Empire’s throne struggle to put aside personal differences for the good of their realm.

Before it’s too late.

264 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 2, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

M. Dalto

26 books349 followers
M. Dalto is a bestselling Young Adult and New Adult author of adventurous romantic fantasy stories. Two Thousand Years, her debut novel from The Parliament House, was one of Wattpad’s 2016 Watty Award winners for excellence in digital storytelling. She has since released its three sequel novels and four companion novellas, as well as numerous other contributions to various published anthologies. She was recruited to participate in Wattpad Paid Stories program for serialized authors in March 2019, has since been invited into the Wattpad Stars program, and since October 2021 has been welcomed as a Wattpad Exclusive Author. She continues to spend her time as both as a freelance editor and as a mentor, as well as WriteHive's Indie Profession-In-Residence, where she hopes to engage, assist, and inspire new writers through their literary journey. Working as a full-time real estate paralegal, she leaves her evenings to pursue her own writing agenda. When she’s not typing furiously at her computer, she enjoys reading fantasy novels, playing video games, and drinking coffee. She currently lives in Massachusetts with her husband, their daughter, and their hamster named Oreo.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
2 (16%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
Profile Image for Inkstained.pages Inkstained.pages.
Author 14 books62 followers
November 3, 2021
This was my first time reading part of the Empire Saga, and I'm so glad that I decided to pick it up. There are so many layers to this story, including the complex character dynamics and rich world building. I found myself wanting to go back and read the other books in the series so I could better acquaint myself with the history of this empire.
Lexan has a special place in my heart, and his relationships with Sara and Jared are realistic and utterly charming. He's everything I want a fairytale prince to be:) This book is a slam dunk win to anyone that's a fan of fantasy.
Profile Image for Laura R.
132 reviews10 followers
November 12, 2021
“The magic is almost like an extension of yourself,” Lexan explained as he braced his arms against the counter. “Like an extra hand to help you, or like an extra eye to see farther… like a dream that helps you see into someone else’s mind.” -- M. Dalto

Thank you to Parliament House Press for giving me a copy in exchange for an honest review!

Okay, so let's try doing this without being too spoilery because wow what a great 4th and final book to this series.

We pick up just at the end of the third book and just dive right back into the action. We get romance, we get magic, we get lots of talking about what is actually going on -- the pieces we've been missing explaining everything.

The world felt more complete to me in this one just because so many things were explained. This whole series had Game of Thrones meets Outlander vibes for me and I was definitely all about it.

The final ending to this series wrapped up pretty neatly. Well, still messy, but just the right amount of messy if that makes sense? But it had me gripping the edge of my seat, er, well, my pillow because I was laying down. But nevertheless, I was hanging on every word, watching it unfold.

This series has been a wild ride and an emotional rollercoaster. So many things. So many people. This review is super difficult to write without spoiling anything, but if you've been reading since book 1, then you definitely need to finish this series up. It was fast-paced, filled with crazy world building, and filled with memorable characters.
Profile Image for Christina Gizzi.
81 reviews10 followers
January 5, 2022
For not having read the first three books of the saga, I was able to understand what was going on and follow the plot of the final novel. I may not have been able to relate to the characters and understand their motivations as much as if I had read the whole series, but I could understand their motivations and why what they were doing was so important. I loved the writing style that the author chose. I thought that it worked to tell the multiple different sides of the story. It was interesting to see that all of the characters had a role in the story and that all of the roles were important to getting to the final battle. Even the minor characters that were only seen briefly were incredibly important to the story. I really want to go back and read the first three books to get a better understanding of what got them to where they were and relate to the characters more.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.