Start by marking “Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey” as Want to Read:
Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey

Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey

(Check, Please! #1-2)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  15,932 ratings  ·  3,134 reviews
Helloooo, Internet Land. Bitty here!

Y’all... I might not be ready for this. I may be a former junior figure skating champion, vlogger extraordinaire, and very talented amateur pâtissier, but being a freshman on the Samwell University hockey team is a whole new challenge. It’s nothing like co-ed club hockey back in Georgia! First of all? There’s checking. And then, there is
Published September 18th 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Check, Please! Book 1, please sign up.
Nico I'm thirteen and this is my absolute favorite book. if you are a bit more mature and chill with a little bit of sex talk then you're good.…moreI'm thirteen and this is my absolute favorite book. if you are a bit more mature and chill with a little bit of sex talk then you're good.(less)
MSabatiniReads Although I have not read it, I too saw plenty of high ratings and reviews. I felt like it was a little more MS than HS and due to the hockey focus, I …moreAlthough I have not read it, I too saw plenty of high ratings and reviews. I felt like it was a little more MS than HS and due to the hockey focus, I wasn't sure if it would have a big enough draw with my regular HS GN readers. Needless to say, we don't have it at MASH and I did not get to read it yet. Sorry, that wasn't super helpful, was it? 😆(less)

·  15,932 ratings  ·  3,134 reviews

Start your review of Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 7/20/20: I gave this a 4 the first time I read it, but I think this might actually be more of a 3 or a 3.5. I'm gonna round up to the 4 bc the art style is my favorite and I love the characters, but.. the way the story was written felt really disjointed and hard to follow. I'm bummed that this one didn't stand up quite as well as I remember it, but I am still VERY excited to carry onto book 2 bc THAT ENDING.

Original read 7/31/18: Heckin’ CUTE. Shitty is my fav and reminds me so much of m
Ariel
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of cute moments, but it never grabbed me! It all felt quite disparate and episodic, which makes sense since it was a webcomic, but I would have liked for it to have felt a bit more like it had a big arc it was working towards!
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This series is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I read it first in college, reread it as I was graduating, and now I get to read the full first two years as a collected, physical book. Bitty owns my heart and I plan to cry about him for the rest of time. He’s my perfect soft, loving, pastry happy, gay, hockey playing southern gentleman.

READ THIS. Then get up to date with the webcomic so we can all yell together.
Kevin (Irish Reader)
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet and cute graphic novel. I loved Bitty, our main character, so much! He is so precious and needs to be protected at all costs! I don’t really have much to say, it was just a cute, fun and joyful read. Highly recommend if you enjoy graphic novels.

I also read this in a reading vlog on my YouTube channel. You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/BzCxn8Y4ppw
Emma
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this 😍 ...big surprise
Melanie

This ARC was given to me by my beautiful friend Lilly from Lair of Books! (Thank you so much! I love you!)

You all, this was the cutest. No, scratch that; Bitty is the cutest! And this graphic novel was nothing short of a joy to read! Hockey games, behind the scenes practices, a slow-burn attraction, an adorable romance, the most heartwarming main character ever. I mean, what else could you really ask for? Ngozi Ukazu has given us such a bright light of pure sunshine!

So basically, this is a pub
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
reread update, may 2020:

100% still one of the most precious, endearing things I've ever read in my whole life. Bitty is so sweet, Jack is so soft and perf, and Shitty is going beside McGraw from Giant Days in the weirdly specific category of manly-but-soft mustachioed college boys I adore. ♥♥♥ So happy I reread this before continuing the series.

——————

original review, november 2018:

OH MY WORD, it's so cute I'm gonna die. This is one of the most precious, laugh-out-loud, heartwarming, charming dam
Whitney Atkinson

This book had me laughing out loud before the page count even hit double digits! I was not expecting this to have such a tasteful sense of humor in a way that was both evident in dialogue and the clever way the panels transitioned and cut off. I thought Bittle (Bitty? Idk what his name is even after reading this bc he was called like 30 things) was charming and funny and relatable and sweet, and I loved following his story. Him being a vlogger was a really great addition! My main issue
Tatiana
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Morris short list
Those who rated this comic highly, can you help me out? Am I reading this wrong?

I am all on board with a story about a gentle, pie-baking gay hockey player who gets embraced by his bro/dumbass teammates and finds love. And I can understand why I personally didn't like how this story is written (sometimes hard to understand, Jack is so not swoon-worthy, only one female character who almost has no speaking lines), but others think it all is cute and fine. Ok. Tastes differ.

But why is no one mentio
Larry H
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! Can I have a million more volumes of this graphic novel series, please?

Eric “Bitty” Bittle doesn’t quite seem like your typical college hockey player—he’s really short, he’s a former figure skater, and he can bake like no one’s business. But typical or not, he’s landed a place on Samwell University’s hockey team.

Bitty is using his popular vlog to chronicle his adventures in college—endless practices, the hockey bros who become his best friends, and all of the amazing treats he bakes. Oh, a
h o l l i s
I tossed together a somewhat better review after rereading this today so that'll up soon!

--------

THIS IS THE
CUTEST
SWEETEST
SOFTEST
FUNNIEST
MOST PRECIOUS
THING
AND I HAVE ALL THE FEELS.

ps I read the webcomic via the author's website.
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
April 19, 2021: I came back to this webcomic just to look up a certain scene and ended up binging it AGAIN, whoops

My apologizes to my GR challenge, bc I haven’t read a real YA novel since January

(I also came back to read it because, after the last chapter was released last year, I could never bring myself to finish it unless I read the whole thing again, so here I am now)
__________________
September 9, 2019: Y'all, guess who just spent all day binging this online webcomic ONLY TO FIND OUT IT'S N
nitya
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
SO ADORABLE, I DIE 🥰🥰😭 mutual pining, soft boys who bake, grumpy/sunshine and tol/smol tropes I love it all!!!! Did the author read my mind omg

And I am not into hockey but after this I want to watch a game. 😲

This review is incoherent oops, just read the book!!! You will thank me later.

Content warning (for both volumes): bullying, homophobia, internalized biphobia, references to past drug/alcohol abuse
Dave Schaafsma
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-glbt, gn-sports
Check, please!: #Hockey is the first volume collecting from the popular webcomic from first generation Nigerian (!)-American author Ngozi Ukazu who did a LOT of research to make a comic about a white man's sport she basically knew nothing about, and in the process, falling in love with it. There are two reasons I read it; 1) I may read just about all of the 2018 graphic novel/comics nominees, and 2) I just read Fence, another sports comics series that I was really surprised to like a lot. I am a ...more
Mir
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mir by: Gabriel K
Shelves: school, graphic
This was cute. Almost too cute. Take breaks lest ye be overcome by sugarshock.

Hockey. Central, but in the sense that these kids's lives revolve around their team; you as the reader do not have to spend a lot of time seeing hockey moves, nor will you gain much understanding of the sport from this book.

Actually you won't spend that much time on anything, and that was my main complaint: all the scenes are so short. And there isn't much pacing. I'm not sure if maybe this was a webcomic with a short
Vicky Again
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
sooooo cute oh my gosh
Ashley (ashleyOutpaged)
THIS IS MY NEW OBSESSION I AM LAUGHING I AM CRYING I JUST LOVE. It is so quirky and hilarious. FREAKING UGH 😭😭💓👌🏻💓💓💓
chai ♡
Book #1 for @Graphicathon

Reading this webcomic was the equivalent of eating a perfectly toasted bagel, and I feel like my heart just grew three times its size like the Grinch!
Hamad
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

🌟 I am making an effort to read more graphic novel and I have seen many of my friends reading and loving this one so I decided to give it a chance! It has a high average rating on GR (~4.5) and I think I know why now!

🌟 Since it is a graphic novel, I am going to talk about both the writing and the artist style! First, the drawings are good, my problem is that one of my first graphic novels was Saga and it is still my fa
— nova
Sorry every other book I’m reading, y’all are gonna have to wait cause I need to reread this gem 💛
Moony Eliver
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: h o l l i s
OK, my graphic novel is more adorable than yours. Because this one is *mine.* Get your own.
Calista
I have seen a hockey game twice in my life and it was Uof Michigan hockey. I also went to a party to watch the Stanley cup one year, so it's safe to say I know little of this sport. I did think the university hockey was fun and the crowd was engaged. I wasn't sure I would enjoy this, but I thought it would be good getting to know more about the people in the world of hockey. My best friend is a hockey player, but I didn't know the culture.

I loved, loved this book. It was so much fun. We follow B
Connor
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, lgbt
So I know I just posted a review talking about how a book was too feel-good for me. This is definitely feel-good, but I really enjoyed it. I think that's because not everything goes well and sometimes and characters fail. I'm not huge into hockey, but the Haus was a lot like my old fraternity. I could definitely relate to the friendships between the different teammates. I even have friends who are just like Shitty (a character's nickname).

I thought the budding relationship between Bitty and his
Teal
This beloved webcomic-turned-graphic-novel has a 4.46 star average for almost 6000 reviews. Wow. But it was a total miss for me.

I originally encountered it back when it was a webcomic, but I lost interest partway though. When it came out as a book I decided to give it another chance, thinking that maybe this time it would click for me. But that didn't happen. I don't like any of the characters. And the art isn't appealing enough to compensate for the weirdly choppy and unfocused story. It felt s
Bookishrealm
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was super cute! I have to admit I was super unaware of most of the hockey terminology, but I think that Ukazu did a wonderful job explaining it so that those of us who aren't familiar with the terms could still enjoy the story. Two of the best things about this book are definitely character development and artwork. Bitty was the CUTEST character that I think I've encountered in a long time. He was so positive and hardworking. I felt this calming sense of energy from him in every single pane ...more
Erica ♋️✨
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was so adorable and cute ugh i just loved it so much. Eric is the most cutest sweet boy i have ever read about he’s my little cinnamon bun ☺️❤️😍. I would recommend this graphic novel to anyone so worth the read. the ending made me want Book 2 so bad i can not wait to see how his relationship with jack progresses.

Since it’s pride month i think it’s time to reread my favorite LGBTQ books/graphic novels 🏳️‍🌈🌈

Reread: guys i loved this even more the second time, it was just so ador
Anniek
So many people recommended this to me, and I finally read it! I felt like I was sure to love this, and I was absolutely right. It's impossible not to love Bitty, he's the best kind of main character. I would have liked to get to know the other characters a little better though. I'll probably read the rest of the webcomic online, as it'll be months until vol. 2 is set to be released. The extras in the back of the book were really cute too!! ...more
Tiernan
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
More queer graphic novels in my life please, this was lovely. 🥺
MaryGrace
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVED THIS. I mean, who's actually surprised, but I loved this more than I even expected. It was just lovely and adorable, but also so meaningful for me.

This is my first time reviewing a graphic novel and I wasn’t really sure how it was going to go but I loved this so so much that I had to talk about it.

This story follows Eric Bittle (Bitty) through the first two years as a member of the Samwell College Men’s Hockey Team. The first thing you should know is this is about a gay colleg
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I have been trying so hard to fall in love with this one for the past one hour. And I am just not getting into it. The main character is cute and bubbly and all that but I really cannot connect with the art sequence and the other characters like a basic connection is missing.

I will continue with the series some other day. No. I am not sure about this too. Because I have yet to read so many other comic series!
FYA Book Club of ...: December 2020 - Check Please 1 5 Dec 01, 2020 10:32AM

• The Freshman Year (Scoring the Goal, #1)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Bloom
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Mooncakes
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Him (Him, #1)
  • The Magic Fish
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Cemetery Boys
  • Fence: Striking Distance
  • Nick and Charlie
  • Pumpkinheads
Ngozi Ukazu is the author of the online graphic novel series Check, Please!. She studied at Yale University and the Savannah College of Art and Design. ...more

Check, Please! (6 books)
  • Check, Please!: Year One
  • Check, Please!: Year Two
  • Check, Please! Year Three
  • Check, Please! Year Four
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones

Articles featuring this book

Author and illustrator Alice Oseman is known to her long-time fans for her young adult novels about—as she calls them—"teenage disasters,"...
“Of course, Bro! Eat your vegetables and play oodles of hockey, and your butt can be anything it wants to be.' 'Even Secretary of State?' 'E-SPECIALLY Secretary of State!” 12 likes
“Crushes are stressful. Dating is disappointing. Every relationship, you either break up or get married & then divorced. Pies can't hurt you.” 8 likes