Start by marking “Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey” as Want to Read:
Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey

Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey

(Check, Please! #1-2)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  9,804 ratings  ·  2,151 reviews
Helloooo, Internet Land. Bitty here!

Y’all... I might not be ready for this. I may be a former junior figure skating champion, vlogger extraordinaire, and very talented amateur pâtissier, but being a freshman on the Samwell University hockey team is a whole new challenge. It’s nothing like co-ed club hockey back in Georgia! First of all? There’s checking. And then, there is
Published September 18th 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Check, Please! Book 1, please sign up.
Jdemartigny I do not think this book is appropriate for a 13 year old. As a high school librarian I feel the reviews and promotion for this book are very deceivin…moreI do not think this book is appropriate for a 13 year old. As a high school librarian I feel the reviews and promotion for this book are very deceiving. For starters the main character, Eric Bittle looks like he's 13 and acts like it too, yet he is surrounded by adult looking males who say things like "Emoticons always equal p****" and "he's probably up in his room getting s***** off by another Zimmermann puck bunny". The setting is a college and the spring dance is called the Spring Screw. I read a lot of YA for my job and I would not recommend this for a 13 year old.
(less)

·  9,804 ratings  ·  2,151 reviews

Start your review of Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
Cristina Monica
PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT. PERFECT.

I know this is not much of a review so far, but hell if I’ll keep my emotions bottled inside. The truth is, this is really an amazing graphic novel. It was originally a webcomic – one of the most popular ones on Kickstarter and I’
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Heckin’ CUTE. Shitty is my fav and reminds me so much of my bb McGraw from Giant Days. 10/10 do recommend
Ariel
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of cute moments, but it never grabbed me! It all felt quite disparate and episodic, which makes sense since it was a webcomic, but I would have liked for it to have felt a bit more like it had a big arc it was working towards!
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This series is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I read it first in college, reread it as I was graduating, and now I get to read the full first two years as a collected, physical book. Bitty owns my heart and I plan to cry about him for the rest of time. He’s my perfect soft, loving, pastry happy, gay, hockey playing southern gentleman.

READ THIS. Then get up to date with the webcomic so we can all yell together.
Emma
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this 😍 ...big surprise
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
reread update, may 2020:

100% still one of the most precious, endearing things I've ever read in my whole life. Bitty is so sweet, Jack is so soft and perf, and Shitty is going beside McGraw from Giant Days in the weirdly specific category of manly-but-soft mustachioed college boys I adore. ♥♥♥ So happy I reread this before continuing the series.

——————

original review, november 2018:

OH MY WORD, it's so cute I'm gonna die. This is one of the most precious, laugh-out-loud, heartwarming, charming dam
Melanie

This ARC was given to me by my beautiful friend Lilly from Lair of Books! (Thank you so much! I love you!)

You all, this was the cutest. No, scratch that; Bitty is the cutest! And this graphic novel was nothing short of a joy to read! Hockey games, behind the scenes practices, a slow-burn attraction, an adorable romance, the most heartwarming main character ever. I mean, what else could you really ask for? Ngozi Ukazu has given us such a bright light of pure sunshine!

So basically, this is a pub
Whitney Atkinson

This book had me laughing out loud before the page count even hit double digits! I was not expecting this to have such a tasteful sense of humor in a way that was both evident in dialogue and the clever way the panels transitioned and cut off. I thought Bittle (Bitty? Idk what his name is even after reading this bc he was called like 30 things) was charming and funny and relatable and sweet, and I loved following his story. Him being a vlogger was a really great addition! My main issue
Larry H
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! Can I have a million more volumes of this graphic novel series, please?

Eric “Bitty” Bittle doesn’t quite seem like your typical college hockey player—he’s really short, he’s a former figure skater, and he can bake like no one’s business. But typical or not, he’s landed a place on Samwell University’s hockey team.

Bitty is using his popular vlog to chronicle his adventures in college—endless practices, the hockey bros who become his best friends, and all of the amazing treats he bakes. Oh, a
Tatiana
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Morris short list
Those who rated this comic highly, can you help me out? Am I reading this wrong?

I am all on board with a story about a gentle, pie-baking gay hockey player who gets embraced by his bro/dumbass teammates and finds love. And I can understand why I personally didn't like how this story is written (sometimes hard to understand, Jack is so not swoon-worthy, only one female character who almost has no speaking lines), but others think it all is cute and fine. Ok. Tastes differ.

But why is no one mentio
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Y'all, guess who just spent all day binging this online webcomic ONLY TO FIND OUT IT'S NOT COMPLETE YET?

I am a fool. Please send help. I can't wait for the next update.

(The full (yet incomplete!) webcomic is free online, btw! This rating is listed for one of the graphic adaptations, but really I'm rating the webcomic as a whole.)
Hollis
THIS IS THE
CUTEST
SWEETEST
SOFTEST
FUNNIEST
MOST PRECIOUS
THING
AND I HAVE ALL THE FEELS.

ps I read the webcomic via the author's website but fully intend to buy upon release because duh.
David Schaafsma
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-sports, gn-glbt
Check, please!: #Hockey is the first volume collecting from the popular webcomic from first generation Nigerian (!)-American author Ngozi Ukazu who did a LOT of research to make a comic about a white man's sport she basically knew nothing about, and in the process, falling in love with it. There are two reasons I read it; 1) I may read just about all of the 2018 graphic novel/comics nominees, and 2) I just read Fence, another sports comics series that I was really surprised to like a lot. I am a ...more
Mir
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mir by: Gabriel K
Shelves: school, graphic
This was cute. Almost too cute. Take breaks lest ye be overcome by sugarshock.

Hockey. Central, but in the sense that these kids's lives revolve around their team; you as the reader do not have to spend a lot of time seeing hockey moves, nor will you gain much understanding of the sport from this book.

Actually you won't spend that much time on anything, and that was my main complaint: all the scenes are so short. And there isn't much pacing. I'm not sure if maybe this was a webcomic with a short
Ashley (ashleyOutpaged)
THIS IS MY NEW OBSESSION I AM LAUGHING I AM CRYING I JUST LOVE. It is so quirky and hilarious. FREAKING UGH 😭😭💓👌🏻💓💓💓
Hamad
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

🌟 I am making an effort to read more graphic novel and I have seen many of my friends reading and loving this one so I decided to give it a chance! It has a high average rating on GR (~4.5) and I think I know why now!

🌟 Since it is a graphic novel, I am going to talk about both the writing and the artist style! First, the drawings are good, my problem is that one of my first graphic novels was Saga and it is still my fa
nova ryder ☼
Sorry every other book I’m reading, y’all are gonna have to wait cause I need to reread this gem 💛
Moony Eliver
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: Hollis
OK, my graphic novel is more adorable than yours. Because this one is *mine.* Get your own.
Calista
I have seen a hockey game twice in my life and it was Uof Michigan hockey. I also went to a party to watch the Stanley cup one year, so it's safe to say I know little of this sport. I did think the university hockey was fun and the crowd was engaged. I wasn't sure I would enjoy this, but I thought it would be good getting to know more about the people in the world of hockey. My best friend is a hockey player, but I didn't know the culture.

I loved, loved this book. It was so much fun. We follow B
Connor
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, lgbt
So I know I just posted a review talking about how a book was too feel-good for me. This is definitely feel-good, but I really enjoyed it. I think that's because not everything goes well and sometimes and characters fail. I'm not huge into hockey, but the Haus was a lot like my old fraternity. I could definitely relate to the friendships between the different teammates. I even have friends who are just like Shitty (a character's nickname).

I thought the budding relationship between Bitty and his
Vicky Again
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
5 stars

I've been putting off this review for like, 4 months now, but I finally caved because I want to add this to my Debut Author Challenge but need to actually write a review for it to count.

Ready?

OMG SQUEEEEEEE THIS IS SO CUTE EVERYONE READ IT I LOVE THEM ALL why did I not know about this adorable webcomic sooner WHO DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT THIS IT'S ADORABLE

You should envision this entire review in screamy caps because WOW I LOVE THIS. Ugh. I adore everything about Check, Please!, but most of
Erica ♋️✨
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was so adorable and cute ugh i just loved it so much. Eric is the most cutest sweet boy i have ever read about he’s my little cinnamon bun ☺️❤️😍. I would recommend this graphic novel to anyone so worth the read. the ending made me want Book 2 so bad i can not wait to see how his relationship with jack progresses.

Since it’s pride month i think it’s time to reread my favorite LGBTQ books/graphic novels 🏳️‍🌈🌈

Reread: guys i loved this even more the second time, it was just so ador
MaryGrace
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVED THIS. I mean, who's actually surprised, but I loved this more than I even expected. It was just lovely and adorable, but also so meaningful for me.

This is my first time reviewing a graphic novel and I wasn’t really sure how it was going to go but I loved this so so much that I had to talk about it.

This story follows Eric Bittle (Bitty) through the first two years as a member of the Samwell College Men’s Hockey Team. The first thing you should know is this is about a gay colleg
Teal
This beloved webcomic-turned-graphic-novel has a 4.46 star average for almost 6000 reviews. Wow. But it was a total miss for me.

I originally encountered it back when it was a webcomic, but I lost interest partway though. When it came out as a book I decided to give it another chance, thinking that maybe this time it would click for me. But that didn't happen. I don't like any of the characters. And the art isn't appealing enough to compensate for the weirdly choppy and unfocused story. It felt s
Laura (bbliophile)
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-releases
*takes a deep breath* I LOVED THIS SO MUCH LIKE SO SO MUCH AND BITTY IS MY NEW FAVORITE CHARACTER HE IS SO SOFT AND LOVELY AND I WANT TO BE HIS FRIEND AND BAKE PIES WITH HIM AND WHO KNEW I COULD CARE ABOUT HOCKEY THIS MUCH??? AAAAH I LOOOOOVED THIS
Cori Reed
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was PHENOMENAL. If you want a book featuring hockey, baking, vlogging, French-Canadians, amazing male friendships, and so so much love and acceptance, get yourself this book! First five star read of 2019!
❄️Nani❄️
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Second Read: March 2

Because, well... I NEED JOY IN MY LIFE. And Bitty gives me pure unadulterated joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fist read: March 1

I started this with a stupid grin plastered on my face and ended it with an even stupider grin.

I wish every single human being was like Bitty. The kindest hearted, most generous, sweet cinnamon roll.

I can’t remember the last time I felt this genuinely happy reading something.
My insides are dancing with joy and I wish everyone would read it and experi
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
Too freaking cute!

Omg I can’t get enough of this story and these characters. My heart is so full of love and hockey and maybe I’ll pick up baking. Who knows? Lol. Def excited for the next volume.
Melanie  Brinkman
Who says sports can't be sugary sweet?

Baker and former Junior champion figure skater, Eric "Bitty" Bittle, is about to start his freshman year at Samwell University, but he's not sure he's ready. He's also about to join the hockey team. These boys seem a lot rougher and tougher then his coed club back in Georgia. Bitty's sure he can find the perfect recipe to skating his way into the team's hearts, but he's not expecting his to be melted out on the ice.

Trigger warnings for injury, concussion, h
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I have been trying so hard to fall in love with this one for the past one hour. And I am just not getting into it. The main character is cute and bubbly and all that but I really cannot connect with the art sequence and the other characters like a basic connection is missing.

I will continue with the series some other day. No. I am not sure about this too. Because I have yet to read so many other comic series!

• Bloom
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Mooncakes
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Kiss Number 8
  • On a Sunbeam
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Stargazing
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • I Wish You All the Best
Ngozi Ukazu is the author of the online graphic novel series Check, Please!. She studied at Yale University and the Savannah College of Art and Design. ...more

Check, Please! (6 books)
  • Check, Please!: Year One
  • Check, Please!: Year Two
  • Check, Please! Year Three
  • Check, Please! Year Four
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones

Articles featuring this book

“Of course, Bro! Eat your vegetables and play oodles of hockey, and your butt can be anything it wants to be.' 'Even Secretary of State?' 'E-SPECIALLY Secretary of State!” 8 likes
“Crushes are stressful. Dating is disappointing. Every relationship, you either break up or get married & then divorced. Pies can't hurt you.” 3 likes