Start by marking “The Mushroom Fan Club” as Want to Read:
The Mushroom Fan Club

The Mushroom Fan Club

Join Elise Gravel as she explores the science of some of nature’s weirdest and wildest characters—mushrooms!

Elise Gravel is back with a whimsical look at one of her family’s most beloved pastimes: mushroom hunting! Combining her love of exploring nature with her talent for anthropomorphizing everything, she takes us on a magical tour of the forest floor and examines a hand
Published May 8th 2018 by Enfant

To ask other readers questions about The Mushroom Fan Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mushroom Fan Club

Elise
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's my book and, obviously, I think it's pretty good! ; )
Andrea Lorenz
I love this so much! I would have read another hundred pages in this style about mushrooms. Gravel's information is presented in an interesting and accessible manner. The illustrations are adorable and I just wanted more. I can see giving this to my clever scientist children and even I think the graphic novel kids would eat it up, especially the kids who love Hilda.
Brigitte Ruel
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fungophile's dream. I have it on display for some reason like I own a bookstore.
Giselle Bradley
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Allie
I think it's a fine line between promoting a love of a bunch of really cool organisms and the genuine danger that some fungi present. This book is fun, but not spectacular. If you like Elise Gravel you'll like this, and if you're unfamiliar you might come away a fan of her art because it's far stronger than her writing.
Lizzy
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Birthday gift from Batsheva!
Sarah Sammis
There's one representative mushroom from each of the basic types. There's a page that outlines the parts of a mushroom. My son commented that the gills, though drawn on this generic mushroom, aren't labeled. The next page explains that decision; not all fungi have gills but enough of them have the other parts that those are labeled.

Kate Atherton
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is pleasing to look at and sweet and easy to read. It makes me want to go out in the woods and draw! I do fear that, because the drawings are cartoony and not exact and it encourages the finding and collecting of mushrooms by children that it is a little unsafe without supervision - but the author does denote the mushrooms that are especially dangerous and says not to eat ANY at the beginning of the book. The paintings are all of a gorgeous bright woodland color palette and have so muc ...more
Wendy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: http://elibrary.mel.org/search/a?sear...
Shelves: picture-books
You don’t have to love mushrooms to read this book. It’s about the author and her family and their mushroom hunts. Sounds fun, no? Imagine tromping through the forest, looking for puffballs or polypores. After a brief introduction (and a fancy word, mycologist, which is a mushroom expert), Gravel shows us several varieties of mushrooms (one per double page spread) and sprinkles it with delightful details. For example, Morels. “Aaaah, morels. They are so cute. They look like an alien’s brain.” It ...more
Amy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, Elise Gravel! You did such an amazing job with this book, now I want to be a part of the Mushroom Fan Club! The perfect primer to the world of mushrooms! Illustrations are reminiscent of Laurie Keller's work, which is a wonderful compliment! A must-have for any child who is interested in finding out just a little bit more about mushrooms than just the ones that are on their pizzas at night.
Sierra Wilson
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My 4 year old daughter is crazy about this book--she's asked me to read it every night (sometimes multiple times) for days. There is a lot of interesting information in this book and the illustrations add plenty of quirkiness and charm. My daughter's favorite part is the section that highlights some really unique mushrooms including one that smells like dog poo---what preschooler wouldn't love that?
Susie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute book; excellent illustration of conveying a passion for something while being informative. I was hoping there would be a mention of toadstools, but maybe they don't use that term in Canada.

This is even a format that students could use to write their own "book" about some feature of nature with different species.
Ms. Jaimes
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
Honestly, there are few things I enjoy more than extreme deep dives into intensely quirky passions, and that’s exactly what The Mushroom Fan Club is. It would be fun to count exactly how many times you blurt out, “Wow! I had no idea!” as you read The Mushroom Fan Club, or any other one-of-a-kind signature Elise Gravel book, for the first time.
Ruth Anne
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
A lighthearted study of mushrooms with fun and basic facts and illustrations of many varieties that are drawn with eyes. I learned a thing or two! Includes an activity 'How to do a spore print." A great guide for families who want to go mushroom hunting, like the author. For nature and mushroom enthusiasts of all ages.
Kate
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super charming and I adore the illustrations -- and Elise Gravel's voice! Excited to have gotten this for my school library; it's aimed at a younger audience than my students, but we've got a fairly active morel hunting community and I hope this catches their eye. It definitely caught mine!
Julia
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Easy to read aloud, fun, and filled with great facts. My kids have requested it every night for the last two weeks. They now know more about mushrooms than I do! I'm seeking out all of Elise Gravel's books to read to them.
Kristin
The personal narrative makes this jump out a little more than your average reference book. The illustrations are fun but also scientifically accurate. There's a fun activity in the back you can try at home and plenty of mushrooms to dig into.
Ambur Taft
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a great kids book - especially for kids who like to traipse around outside and bring home treasures to identify. The artwork is awesome and the info is just enough to get kids interested, and wanting more, with a touch of quirky.
Francis S. Poesy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, non-fiction, stem
The Mushroom Fan Club is a must for any kids or adults interested in exploring the great outdoors and seeing what they can find. Elise Gravel's love of mushroom hunting and exploring nature comes through in this fun and informative introduction to mycology.
Anny
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comme toujours les dessins d'Élise Gravel sont superbes!!
Côté contenu, j'adore!! C'est une belle introduction aux divers champignons. Même à 28 ans le livre m'a captivé et me donne très envie d'en apprendre plus sur le sujet!!!!!
Kate
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the illustrations! The page with all the coolest mushroom names (that sound like ingredients for a witch's spell) was one of my favorite moments of the book. A fun introduction to the world of mushrooms and also a charming invitation to take a closer look at nature when exploring the outdoors!
Heather
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
My youngest loves Elise Gravel's Disgusting Critters series, and he really enjoyed The Mushroom Fan Club. After reading it with his dad, he told me all about mushrooms, opening the book to the relevant pages to show me illustrations. Now he can't wait for spring so we can go mushroom-hunting!
Stephanie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An adorably illustrated introduction to mushrooms! I liked how the author encouraged kids to try their own mushroom finding trips (being careful to mention mushrooms you shouldn't touch). Definitely recommended to outdoors enthusiasts and also graphic novel fans!
Michelle Gray
Preschool STEAM

I loved how fun this book was! I think this would make a great topic in my Preschool STEAM program!
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Retro art in earth-tones. Each page features a different type of mushroom.
Jennybeast
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am definitely a member of the mushroom fan club, so I found this book delightful, informative, and graphically appealing. Yum.
Erin
I'm almost embarrassed at how cute I think this is.
Katie Bruce
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this. So quirky and informative!
Cheriee Weichel
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This delightful book will teach young readers a lot about mushrooms! The illustrations are fun and the text is simple. It's perfect for this time of year when mushrooms are popping up everywhere.
Amanda Schutz
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Love love the science and narrative combination going in this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals
  • Lesser Spotted Animals
  • What Do They Do with All That Poo?
  • Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
  • Sea Otter Heroes: The Predators That Saved an Ecosystem
  • Scaly Spotted Feathered Frilled: How do we know what dinosaurs really looked like?
  • Plants Can't Sit Still