Start by marking “Blue” as Want to Read:
Blue

Blue

How many shades of blue are there?

There’s the soft blue of a baby’s cherished blanket, the ocean blue of a romp in the waves, the chilly blue of a cold winter’s walk in the snow, and the true blue of the bond that exists between children and animals.

In this simple, sumptuously illustrated companion to Caldecott Honor Book Green, award-winning artist Laura Vaccaro Seeger tu
Published September 25th 2018 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue

Laura Harrison
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
My favorite book of the year! It is astonishing the emotion Laura Vaccaro Seeger is able to convey in this wordless picture book. I dare anyone not to cry experiencing Blue. The book is about the different phases of life. Yes, a dog passes on in it, but Blue is so loving and hopeful you don't really concentrate on the sadness. Seeger won a Caldecott honor for Green. I like Blue even more. Check out this masterpiece when it releases in the fall, folks.
Michele Knott
I had not idea a book that is told entirely through words depicting different shades of blue would be such an emotional experience. So beautiful.
Kim
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I expected this to be a color book but Laura Vaccaro Seeger threw a curve ball. Brillant story telling! This one blew me away.
Josiah
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Before Laura Vaccaro Seeger's Blue arrived in 2018, we had her 2013 Caldecott Honoree Green, a similar look at the infinite nuance of a single color in our world. Green celebrated its color as the symbol of life—the rareness of verdancy in a universe bigger than humans can comprehend—and Blue shows the beauty of blue in nature and the poignancy of blue feelings, which visit us all eventually. Blue is as important to life as green, coloring our experience in vivacious and somber tones. The spectr ...more
Candace
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-5-star
What a beautiful picture book and a touching story. Using two-word text per page and a two-page spread with cut-outs per picture, we follow the story of a child and his dog. The color blue with the story evoke emotions I never dreamed of with a color. Even though the dog dies, there is hope at the end of the story. Definitely, one of my favorite children's books for the year.
Jillian Heise
So beautiful in so many aspects. But as someone with a golden dog, and so many friends who have already read this, you'd think someone would have warned me it would be akin to The Rough Patch & Stay: a Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List.
DaNae
Is it really right that a concept book about color made me cry?
Cheryl Gladfelter
Special thanks to Meg for making me cry in the office!

Lovely paintings that illustrate the bond between a child and their dog. Really like the cutouts that bring in the texture/paint from the previous/next spreads.
Ashley Adams
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, children
The story of a boy and his dog growing up, having adventures and learning what it means to be true blue.
Rebecca
This is the follow-up to the book "Green," which I reviewed previously:

"What a neat overview of the many shades of green, revealed by die-cuts that will have you turning the pages both forward and back. Extra-thick paint on canvas; expect some Caldecott buzz."

I could say the exact same thing about this one, except that it snuck up on me as being more than a color book or a list book. There is a story in the pictures here. I had to re-read once I caught it. Have your tissues handy.
Meg
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't think it is fair that a book with only two words per page made me cry on the desk at 9:40 in the morning.
Aliza Werner
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When a book about the color blue is so much more. Oh my heart. Tears for this one.
Isabel Smith
Laura Vaccaro Seeger’s latest picture book Blue is the companion story to her 2012 Caldecott Honor book Green. It is so simple yet so profound. Using minimal text and a limited color palate for the illustrations, Seegar nevertheless manages to weave together a beautiful story about the relationship between a boy and his dog. Bravo! This book will certainly appeal to children ages 3-6 but older children and even adults will enjoy and appreciate the message that’s delivered between the lines…I kno ...more
Katie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is just beautiful - both the illustrations and the story.
Stacy Fetters
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh, my little heart. It breaks.

This one hit me and I’m not okay.

You’re going to need tissues for this emotional read.
Nancy Kotkin
A tribute to the color blue, with its diverse range of hues and functions. Several things distinguish this picture book:
1) The illustrations are simply beautiful.
2) The textures are diverse and lifelike.
3) The cut-outs add interest to the book, especially because their alignment is so well placed.

Unlike Green, Blue tells a story, which adds yet another dimension to this book. It's a moving tale of the deep friendship between a boy and his dog as the boy matures and the dog progresses through his
Allison
I love BLUE even more than GREEN, and I didn't think that was possible. I'll definitely be adding this to my personal collection.

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Paula
Talk about a story within a story, a book that is layered with meaning that can be reread and appreciated on so many levels! Blue by Laura Seeger seems on the surface to be whimsical book about the many shades of blue around us, but marry the simple text to the gorgeous narrative illustrations and you have a masterpiece. Color can evoke emotions and can reflect our experience so profoundly- I know you will be moved by the companion to her Caldecott Honor Book- GREEN.
Ames Public Library Youth Services
A beautiful book, not only about all the shades of the color blue (gorgeously done by Seeger), but about the friendship between a dog and their person.

Seeger's cutouts and illustrations are wonderful, but don't be surprised if you cry due to the story in this almost wordless book.

-dmz
Mandy
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, childrens
I love the concept - different colors of blue to illustrate different emotions & times in one’s life - don’t love this book though.
Syntha Green
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have your kleenex ready when you read this one, or as I like to call it Trauma at the hands of a picture book. Beautifully illustrated, but might make you cry, don't say I didn't warn you.
Stacie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A boy and a dog grow up, with the color blue shading their days together.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute, simple book, but I almost cried at the end.
Raye
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you need a good cry
Carrie Gelson
Wow. Emotionally beautiful
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Beautiful, sad, and hopeful. Full review here: https://www.theproblemsite.com/book-s...
KC
Simple text and color help the reader explore the relationship between a boy and his dog.
Kristin
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is much more than a color book!
Theresa Grissom
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful book!! I absolutely loved this and for me this is a major Caldecott contender. Loved the artwork. Loved the simple yet beautiful and heartbreaking story. I will definitely share this with students at school. A personal favorite of mine.
Beverly
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-concepts
This beautiful book has more of a story in the pictures than her other book, Green. The story follows a little boy and his dog, growing up together.

• The Rough Patch
  • Boats for Papa
  • Smick!
  • You Were the First
  • Winter Is Here
  • Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors (with audio recording)
  • They Say Blue
  • Blocks
  • Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne