Start by marking “Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)” as Want to Read:
Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)

Last Pick

(Last Pick #1)

Three years ago, aliens invaded Earth and abducted everyone they deemed useful. The only ones spared were those too young, too old, or too “disabled” to be of value. Living on Earth under the aliens’ harsh authoritarian rule, humanity’s rejects do their best to survive. Their captors never considered them a threat—until now.

Twins Sam and Wyatt are ready to chuck their
Published October 9th 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Last Pick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Pick

Start your review of Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
Jen
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow. That was SO much better than I imagined it would be. I thought it would be interesting and it was, but it GRABBED me, to the point where I NEED the next two books in the series. Like YESTERDAY.

The artwork was clear and realistic. The aliens gross and the plight of the MCs and the rest of the world, heart-rending. I loved the storyline and I really want to see what happens next. I have a few suspicions re: the aliens, but I have no CLUE why they are taking people, unless it's as slave
Teresa
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Thank you to NetGalley, Jason Walz, and First Second Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is an amazing start to a riveting dystopian graphic novel trilogy. The art is great and the story features unique characters as well.

This story takes place in a time when aliens have taken over Earth (sounds cliche, right?). But, the aliens take away anyone ages 16-65 who are fit, healthy, or seem a bit too rambunctious, leaving only the "useless" behind.
Bridget
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a really well done graphic novel for junior high school students. Plenty of issues, lots of big decisions to be made by a brother and sister who are desperately trying to save the world from an alien invasion. It is seat of your pants stuff! They have limited time, few resources and a fiery determination. Especially Sam, she is full of guts and grit. Wyatt however is a thinker, he is unusual and has trouble with social skills but is resourceful. Sam feels responsible for Wyatt now that ...more
Rod Brown
I missed the little "1" on the spine and did not realize I wasn't getting a full story until the last page, so that left a sour taste in my mouth for a story I was on the border of liking. Well, no, I wasn't liking the story overly much because it is a pretty dumb alien invasion/post-apocalypse sort of thing, but I was growing fond of the interaction of the two main characters, one of whom has autism spectrum disorder, and I might pick up the next book to see how they get along, but it is not a ...more
nova ryder ☼
this was pretty good! at first it was kind of meh. i saw the potential but it just wasn’t doing anything for me. but the last few parts really sold me. and now it shall join the endless list of stories that should be made into tv shows on netflix. honestly, it would be so good.

4/5 stars; can’t wait to read the next one, which i just realized, doesn’t come out until october. boo
Sophia
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this was a good book it was easy and a quick read. I would recommend this to young readers or people who like graphic novels.
Erica
Twins Sam and Wyatt are left behind after aliens have come to earth and harvested all the able-bodied 16- to 65-year-olds.
Now they're 16, themselves, and they're causing trouble in their alien-overlord community. Old West-character alien mayor figures he can get rid of the meddlesome brats in the next round-up but things don't go exactly as he'd planned.

While I enjoyed reading this well enough, I never really got into it. There were sweet moments between brother and sister and there are
D.
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's always hard to rate the first book in an obvious series, because you never know if future volumes are going to live up to the first one. (Let's just say I've been burned before.)

With that said, this graphic novel sets up an interesting scenario and some compelling characters. I really like the ideas lurking beneath the surface here -- that what might appear on the surface to be liabilities might actually be strengths. There's some good humor and action here, and some really
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
The world didn't end when the aliens invaded and took everyone they deemed "useful": the abled ages 16 to 65. That included Sam and Wyatt's parents, leaving them to fend for themselves. And Sam intends to fight back, even if it means putting everything and everyone she loves in jeopardy.

This is an absolutely amazing graphic novel—and from what I've picked up, it's the first in a trilogy (YES!)—so the epic cliffhanger is going to bring answers.

I haven't read too many books, especially not graphic
Mish
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two teens lead the resistance against the aliens who, 3 years prior to the start of the story, invaded earth and took everyone between the ages of 16 and 35. At least, everyone in that age range who they thought were strong and abled. The "disabled", elderly, and young were left behind.

This, of course, may have been the wrong choice on the part of the aliens, who are subverted at every turn by the people left on earth.

Excellently illustrated and written by Jason Walz, this story centers
Theresa
I read an ARC from First Second via NetGalley. This post-apocalyptic adventure takes place 3 years after aliens have taken away everyone between the ages of 16-65 as well as the handicapped, leaving behind what they feel are useless individuals. Twins, Sam and Wyatt are fighting back and trying to find out if their parents are still alive and where the people have been taken. Now the twins are on the run from the aliens and finding other survivors that can help them.

The art was great and I
Alicia
Brother and sister twins Sam and Wyatt need to overcome so much after their parents were abducted, along with any able-bodied person by aliens. Those that were left were deemed unfit in some way and that included Wyatt, who is on the spectrum. Together they work to start the revolution to overtake the monster aliens and take back their planet with the help of others who are all in it together.

A fantastic story about teamwork in this dystopian science fiction graphic novel and features
Kristin
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm really tired of graphic novel publishers not making it obvious on their covers that books are part of a series.

Parts of this were good and parts were clearly stretched out or left deliberately sketchy to pad things out into a trilogy. It's hard to care when characters are killed or kidnapped when we know nothing about them.
John
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first graphic novel. Fun! I want to thank my daughter, the librarian, for loaning me her signed copy. I am a science fiction nerd. This was right down my alley. Moved along quickly. I liked the Then...Now format. What a lot of art! Incredible!

To be continued...Arrrgh!

I am definitely looking forward to the next chapter.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
How cruel to end this like that - I need more!
Amy
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! Awesome story, great characters. I admit graphic novels aren't my thing, but I loved this one. So that's saying something.
Ryan Lee
abandoned
Janie
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This story as a graphic novel has the ability to slip right past our usual walls and barriers between normal and different.

The action is centered on an other-abled boy and his able-to-love sister, both as children and then as orphaned teens. Together the pair faces more than an alien invasion: They face and survive the small and petty expectations of the mean and petty people around them. And they deserve and enjoy the support of those who see beyond the surface.

The drawings are clean and
Heather Pearson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my idea of the perfect graphic novel. A solid plot line, kick ass main characters, and awesome drawings that support the story.

Twins Sam and Wyatt have been on their own since the alien invaders abducted their parents three years earlier. Sam does what she can to obstruct the alien plans and to help the remaining humans. Those left include people too old, too young or too disabled to be of use. Has Wyatt's otherness saved him, will Sam evade the aliens as they return for more humans.

I
Destiny Henderson
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, middle grade readers
I really enjoyed the premise of this story, but it just dragged for me and I personally didn't like the artwork. The relationship between Sam and Wyatt was great, and Wyatt (who I believe was on the autism spectrum) is a genuinely fun character.

This is absolutely perfect for middle-grade readers because it treats the subject matter as serious (like, a death is implied, a lil harsh language such as skank, retarded, etc) without the gritty-I-eat-rocks-for-breakfast direness.

I usually don't read
Teenreadsdotcom
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Look out world, it’s time for the underdogs to step up to the plate. LAST PICK, authored and illustrated by Jason Walz, is the first installment in a post-apocalypse graphic novel trilogy. A cartoonist and teacher, Jason Walz has written other graphic novels such as HOMESICK and an online series called CRAP SHOOT. LAST PICK is a novel filled with humor, danger and heart; it is a unique story that will have readers hooked from beginning to end.

Three years ago, aliens invaded earth and took
Satangan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Becky B
Aliens have invaded and taken the most desirable humans away. They left the youngest, the oldest, and the undesirables. Sam and Wyatt are twins who were left behind. Samantha is the active and daring one who goes out on raids to gather supplies. Wyatt is brilliant with technology, but struggles to read facial cues and understand social interactions. The twins are best friends and help each other survive. Wyatt is very close to making some of the alien tech work and hopefully find out where their ...more
Ian Vriend
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So. I'm an assistant librarian at a high school, and we got a bunch of books to catalog for new classroom libraries. A set of "Last Pick" was included in this order, and since it was a graphic novel I thought I'd check it out in case it was a book we could add to the main library since we are lacking in graphic novels.

I only meant to skim through it. But after the first three pages I knew I had to read the entire thing. I took it with me on my break and went through the whole book. And I loved
Skjam!
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young adult SF fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: author
Three years ago, aliens invaded. They easily crushed Earth’s militaries, and rounded up all the humans between 16 and 65 who were not deemed “unfit” for their purposes. Why beings with such advanced technology needed physical slave labor was not a topic the invaders chose to discuss. The remaining children, senior citizens and disabled people were left to pick up the pieces as best they could, even as the aliens left behind many of their number.

Sam and Wyatt were thirteen year old twins when the
Luisa Benson
11/20/18 I read Last Pick by Walz about a month ago, but didn't write it up until I got it back and reread it last week. After the first reading, I gave it to a student, who gave it to a student, who gave it to another student. This is a more-sophisticated graphic novel that my sixth-graders are eating up. I've already purchased a second copy. Walz's dystopian fiction takes place in a near future in which aliens have taken control of the world and enslaved every "able-bodied and able-minded" ...more
Barbara
When the aliens visited Earth three years ago, they took all the humans they considered to be useful. The very young, very old, and the disabled were left behind to fend for themselves. Twins Wyatt and Sam have learned to survive even while mourning the loss of their parents and hoping against hope that they are still alive somewhere. Sam often searches out caches of food to give to those who are even worse off than the siblings are. It's a quiet life, but it works. But suddenly, everything ...more
Carrie
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author visit in the LMC! This is pretty deep and pretty bleak for middle school, but no doubt appealing for the Hunger Games/Divergent generation. Here is original dystopian post-apocalyptic literature in graphic novel form. Twins Sam (girl) and Wyatt are left on a devastated earth after their parents have been "scooped" by aliens in some bizarre selection process (healthy creatures aged 16-45) have been taken to some unknown planet. Sam is a bad-ass and commits small acts of resistance and ...more
Stephanie
Michelle Tuite
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading 2019
Book 116: Last Pick by Jason Walz

I am behind on my reviews, so there will be a few right in a row. Continuing with my graphic novels, found this one on a list of great graphic novels to try. It is a YA selection, and is a trilogy. I only read the first book in the set.

Sam and Wyatt are twins in this dystopian story. Aliens come and take all of the "able bodied" people and leave the too young, too disabled, and too old behind. Sam and Wyatt were too young to be taken and Wyatt is also
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Kiss Number 8
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Breakaways
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)
  • The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)
  • Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)
  • The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • This Was Our Pact
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Stargazing
  • Grand Theft Horse
  • Short & Skinny
  • Illegal

Last Pick (3 books)
  • Born to Run (Last Pick, #2)
  • Last Pick: Rise Up (Last Pick, #3)
“Know what happens when you decide a whole bunch of people are worthless? Someday they show you what they're worth. And you'll never see it coming.” 0 likes
“You might be surprised to find that whatever the world sees as "different" is exactly what the world needs more of.” 0 likes