Start by marking “Our Father: Reflections on the Lord's Prayer” as Want to Read:
Our Father: Reflections on the Lord's Prayer

Our Father: Reflections on the Lord's Prayer

Pope Francis provides new insights into the most popular prayer in Christianity, offering readers a guide to living a life of meaning, purpose and strength.

This new work by Pope Francis illuminates the most important prayer in all of Christianity, verse by verse, in conversation with Father Marco Pozza, a theologian and a prison chaplain in Padua, Italy. Here Francis offer
Published March 13th 2018 by Image (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Our Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Father

Loretta
Beautiful, spiritual book by Pope Francis explaining The Our Father (prayer) in depth. I believe it's a must read for all Catholics. 😊
Petra
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful, interesting look at the Lord's Prayer, what it means and what it says. There were many moments of insight into the intentions of the prayer.

My favorite parts were:
- the discussion on "father", it's role both as God the father and human fathers to their children, and the importance of a father figure.
- the discussion on the phrase "lead us not into temptation". According to Pope Francis this phrase is poorly translated and should read something like "do not let us fall into temptat
Steven R. McEvoy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I was very excited to read this book. I have read many terrific books about this prayer, especially Scott Hahn's Understanding the Our Father. But this book is a little different. This book is a conversation. The introduction states:

"In this book, a conversation with Fr. Marco Pozza, a priest and prison chaplain from Padua, Italy, the pope offers his heartfelt thoughts on the universal prayer for strength, mercy, and forgiveness.

To mark this special celebration, this book is supplemented with so
Sandy Lenahan
Disclaimer-I'm not Catholic but I am married to one.

I have much respect for Pope Francis so reading this small book was a no brainer. While I'm not a fan of the way the book is laid out I really enjoyed the content. The Holy Father shared stories of his youth, his thoughts & concerns for the world and made real world connections to parables and the Lords Prayer. Reading this was like an extra long homily 😊

Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

I am not religious, per se, but do believe there is a God. From what I have heard and seen about Pope Francis, I admire his beliefs and values. I know a little about the Lord's Prayer from elementary school and of course, books and reading! I am glad I read this book as it is great for mindfulness and also provides more reference to the prayer and Pope Francis.
Phillip Hadden
An okay reflection on one of the central prayers of Christianity. If one is familiar with other writings of Pope Francis, such as The Name of God is Mercy and Evangelii Gaudium, there are similarities within the text. It's a short read and can be done in one sitting. One will find Orthodox position on God and Satan from Pope Francis in this book.
Sandy Sopko
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
“This is how you are to pray: Our Father…” The preface is MATTHEW 6:5-9, which was the basis of my confirmation sermon because, as a 14-year-old idealist, I was concerned with the hypocrisy I observed all around me. I had not learned yet that church is for us the imperfect, not the perfect.

In this beautiful little book, the Holy Father, Pope Francis, discusses The Lord’s Prayer, verse by verse, and peels back the profound and beautiful mysteries of each line. The pope reminds the reader of how
Alyssa
This book was a really short read. It took me about an hour to read the entire thing. There were some interesting points that made what I have always called The Lord’s Prayer, seem a little deeper and I was able to put parts of it in a new context that I hadn’t previously thought about, but I didn’t gain as much as I had hoped for. I found myself confused more than inspired.

I am not a Catholic so some of the things were a bit different for me. As a Lutheran, I knew there would be some difference
Linnaea
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
It's good to reflect on a prayer that one says all the time. This book is told as a conversation going over each line of the Lord's Prayer with personal stories and bible stories to help explain the meaning/thoughts behind the words.
Our Father: this section I had a little trouble with, I felt that the Pope spent more time comparing G-d to a human father. The comparison going this direction makes G-d too human, no matter how great of a human father a person has, the man is human and there will be
Silvia Sim
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 05-adult
Il “Padre nostro”: una preghiera così ampiamente nota e ripetuta, eppure sempre intima e nuova...
In questo libro ne viene scalfita l’apparente semplicità per scavare a fondo tra le pieghe dei suoi versi e in essi riscoprire l’abbraccio d’amore fra Dio e ognuno di noi.

Nel volume la preghiera viene divisa in 9 parti, a ciascuna delle quali sono dedicati due capitoli:
- un tratto dell’intervista di don Marco Pozza a Papa Francesco sul “Padre nostro”;
- uno stralcio tratto da qualche precedente discor
Chris
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I loved this book, so much so that I read it in one sitting (don't worry, it's very short!)

This book is essentially the transcript of an interview that Pope Francis did on Italian television with Father Marco Pozza where they discussed the Lord's Prayer. In between each chapter were added selected reflections from the Holy Father (drawn from General Audiences, Homilies, etc.) on topics related to the petitions of the Our Father.

The Holy Father's insights here are really tremendous at times. Most
Madelyn
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful and thoughtful reflection on the Lord’s Prayer. I’ve had the Lord’s Prayer committed to memory since I was quite young, but I haven’t thought deeply about the meaning of each word. Several phrases were very confusing to me, ex. “Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.” Pope Francis clearly explains why God chose each word of this simple prayer for his followers, giving them a path to dialogue with God that is less intimidating. The Lord’s Prayer means so much ...more
Cathy
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful book brought a few new insights into the Our Father as well as present some that seemed like old friends. It is not a book to just read through like it were a novel. It is to be read slowly, giving time for reflection. How do you grow in understanding without taking the time for reflection?

Yes, Pope Francis repeats himself. That is just his way of adding emphasis. I can just hear his gentle voice when I read his works. It is always a pleasure to read his works. He understands me.
Ella
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
While I am not Catholic and actually recite a slightly different version of this prayer (shout out to "for thine is the Kingdom and the glory and the power forever, amen!" and gender neutral language), I found much to savor in this slim volume and its helped me to reinvigorate this daily prayer with deeper and more significant meaning. The short, interview style chapters made this a perfect just before bed read, however I would not recommend this to anyone who isn't already a practicing Christia ...more
Christine
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Inspirational ideas wonderfully expressed in a conversation between a prison chaplain and Pope Francis. Among my favorite passages:

Prayer ...purifies the heart. Praise and supplication to God keep the heart from becoming hardened by resentment and selfishness.

...the Eternal City welcomes me with a piece of graffiti scrawled on a viaduct wall, "Without the foundation, forget about the heights."

...a plaster figurine of a sleeping St. Joseph. This is his favorite image of the carpenter who, alone
Brian
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel bad giving this book such a poor rating; I like the Pope and a love the Lord’s Prayer. I’m a bit frustrated with this book, however. It felt like a 20 paged interview that someone tried to stretch into a 120 page book. It is also supplemented with many small sections from the Angelus or similar addresses by Francis, which are hit-or-miss. I would suggest not reading it all in one sitting as the book does not flow naturally.

Sorry, Papa, not your best work.
Naomi
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved the aspect of this book and its message (utilizing the Lord's Prayer) as its base, I thought this book in presentation was confusing as all get out. I am not sure if a chunk of what was being said was lost in translation. To be honest, while I consider myself spiritual, I am a very lapsed Catholic. I don't know if someone with a deeper religious base would walk away from this book with a deeper comprehension.
Jamey Yadon
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Christians
Super chill, very insightful. The interview combines very well with the excerpts from Pope Francis' writings and homilies to give the book the feel of listening in on a conversation. The Pope's wisdom helps to reveal the depth and beauty of this most ancient of Christian prayers.

You can read the whole thing in a couple of hours, too. It made a very nice Sunday morning before church today.
enyanyo
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
We do need courage to pray the Our Father. We need courage.

This is short read that explores different aspects of the Lord's Prayer. It's pretty straightforward and makes for a quick read. I did not always agree with everything in it, but hey, that's reading for you.
Megan Lynch
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an insightful piece on a prayer most of us learned as children and can recite faster than a grocery list. Whoever arranged this book took time to structure it as a mix between a homily and an interview, breaking down components of the prayer and diving deeper into those components when necessary. Engaging and enriching.
Barb
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether we reverently recite the words or sing them, they are the words that Jesus gave us. Spend a few minutes each day praying with this new book by Pope Francis. Read a paragraph or a chapter. Meditate on the wisdom you find there. And close by praying those words that Jesus gave us.

A few hiccups in the translation, but overall a beautiful book.
Mary
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t love everything in this small book, but I love the Lord’s Prayer and there were some good insights and food for thought. “Fear is always a symptom of a ‘no’ to God.” “A civilization in which there is no more prayer is a civilization in which old age no longer has meaning.”
Maria João Palma
Numa linguagem descontraída mas profunda, vamos descobrindo a beleza da oração do Pai Nosso. O Papa Francisco tem este dom de mergulhar na profundidade dos temas, explicando-os de forma simples mas deixando-nos antever o infinito.
Kathy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspirational
This book contains Pope Francis's reflections on the Our Father and is filled out with bits from various other sermons and works on related topics. The book dwells on each phrase individually but it also reveals the relationships between them. Those parts were new to me.
David Doel
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish I could give this a higher rating because I love Pope Francis and the Lord's Prayer. There are sections in the book that are excellent, but mostly it is dry and much less than inspiring reading.
Greg
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly loved this book. It's short and you could read it in a few hours, but it's meant to be carried with you in your life. To open the pages and meditate on a few lines or a story. I read this book last week and I've thought about it everyday since. Just loved it.
Gigi Doyle
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book brought additional meaning to the basic prayer we all say so often, and it makes me appreciate how perfect it is to say this prayer to God our father.
Bina Artiste
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a short but sweet book.
Miranda
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It's poetry for the soul.
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very profound look at our relationship with God. Easy to read, yet long to think through.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Pope Francis (Latin: Franciscus; Italian: Francesco; Spanish: Francisco; born Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 17 December 1936) is the 266th and current Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, a title he holds ex officio as Bishop of Rome, and Sovereign of the Vatican City. He chose Francis as his papal name in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi. Francis is the first Jesuit pope, the first from the Americas, the ...more
“Where I come from, they always say that no one can boast of being chaste if he has never been tempted.” 0 likes