Start by marking “A Lover's Pinch: A Cultural History of Sadomasochism” as Want to Read:
A Lover's Pinch: A Cultural History of Sadomasochism

A Lover's Pinch: A Cultural History of Sadomasochism

A worldwide subculture that influences everything from fashion to advertising, sadomasochism has a long and lively history. A Lover's Pinch tells the story of consensual sadomasochism, from a controversial religious practice to a secretive sexuality branded a perversion. The origins of kink and fetish culture have been shrouded in secrecy and myths, until now. Here, Peter ...more
Published August 10th 2018 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Lover's Pinch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lover's Pinch

Start your review of A Lover's Pinch: A Cultural History of Sadomasochism
Sineala
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, non-fiction
A really interesting history of BDSM. I'm torn on whether to wholeheartedly recommend it, because I think in some ways it's both too scholarly and not scholarly enough, but if you're looking for a book that traces the history of modern BDSM all the way back to things like early Christian flagellants, this is the book for you and I don't think there's another book quite like it.

It's got the price point of an academic book -- the ebook alone was $25 -- but when I opened it I was disappointed to
Erin Cataldi
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A fascinating history of sexuality, specifically that of the oft misunderstood subset of sadomasochism. For many, when they think of sadomasochism (s/m), they think of leather clad bikers, whips and chains, Bettie Page, and 50 Shades of Grey. While all of those things certainly have their place within s/m there is so much more to the history and it's fascinating to read about how it has evolved over the centuries. Broken into easily readable sections, Peter Tupper, does a remarkable job of ...more
M.J. Parker
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thought-provoking, intelligent and diligent review of how sadomasochism has influenced, and been influenced by culture and historical events over hundreds of years. Something here for everyone interested in such research. My particular favorites were the parts which gave insight into how our minds work, such as the section on 'ritual'. Well done.
Jenny
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, detailed history of sadomasochism. I enjoyed this book so much, I read it very slowly to savor it.
Mills College Library

306.77509 T928 2018
Jenny
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peter Tupper
Apr 19, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: bdsm, history
Katie

• Tantra: The Art of Conscious Loving
  • Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
  • A Small Miracle
  • Deeper Dating: How to Drop the Games of Seduction and Discover the Power of Intimacy
  • Scam Me If You Can: Simple Strategies to Outsmart Today's Ripoff Artists
  • Regarding the Pain of Others
  • Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls
  • This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America
  • How to Write an Autobiographical Novel: Essays
  • Tonight I'm Someone Else: Essays
  • Shapeshifters: A History
  • What Girls Are Made Of
  • Deaf Republic
  • We the Animals
  • Socialist Realism
  • Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find—and Keep—Love
  • The Story of My Teeth
  • Fantasy Island: Colonialism, Exploitation, and the Betrayal of Puerto Rico
Peter Tupper is a journalist and writer in Vancouver, BC. His erotica publications include stories in ‘Elementary Erotica’ and “Like an Iron Fist’ and the single-author collection ‘The Innocent’s Progress & Other Stories’, all by Circlet Press. He’s also working on a history book on consensual sadomasochism.

He studied history at UBC and journalism at Langara College.