Start by marking “The Gift of Our Compulsions: A Revolutionary Approach to Self-Acceptance and Healing” as Want to Read:

Everyone is compulsive to some degree. People may worry too much, work too hard, or overindulge in food or alcohol or drug use. Once a compulsion is admitted, the usual option is to try to control the behavior. But this effort typically ends with the problem compulsion returning, or a new one taking its place.

In this book based on three decades of research, Mary O’Malley h
Published September 28th 2004 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Our Compulsions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Our Compulsions

Jody
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very loving approach to more than just if you have a 'compulsion.'...it is more like a tool for living with yourself peacefully. Left me felling very inspired and loving.
Luca Pendu
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book's title could as well be "Compulsions 101".
I particularly liked how, in the beginning of the book, the author explores the nature of the main dysfunction: the moment in which we leave the world of "I am" and base our lives on the belief that "I am not/I should be".

The main concept behind this book is learning how to be more mindful and present when the compulsion "wave" shows up. By practicing the exercises in the book, we can learn how to initiate a dialogue with our compulsions, ra
Gina
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really good book. Changed my views on compulsive behavior.
Sarah D Bunting
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Abandoned due to boredome.
Linda
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another book that makes you think, in a positive way.
Rachel Hyman
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolute eye opening.
Amazing read on connecting compulsive behavior and gaining insight into causation.

Beautifully written and relatable.

An excellent book to connect with yourself and your behavior and habits.

The best self growth book I've ever read.
MarySue
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a profoundly helpful book. I highly recommend it.
Karla Ticona
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very different way to express how feelings can lead to healing. I loved it and recommend it.
eHawk
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I felt this book started better than it finished and became very repetitive. I appreciate the author's points and found much of the information instructive, but my patience was definitely pushed trying to finish the book.
Nadia
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Repetative but good. I've been using her questions and they've helped me when nothing previously has. Excellent read for mental health professionals with clients who can t cope with their emotions.
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Haven't finished it yet, but so far I love the gentle gentle tone. It felt healing just by reading a few passages at a time. I found myself reading a little before bed each night.
Jason
Jan 27, 2011 marked it as to-read
Thoroughly impressive so far. Among reams of self help books this one really stands out from the crowd. The writing is clear, powerful, and original. Only a few chapters into it so far, so we'll see.
Kerry
The core ideas in this book: 5 stars. The writing style: 3 stars. This book spoke to me on so many levels but it was exasperating to have the same information repeated over and over again.
Amik
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Buy this book because you'll need a year to get through it! But it's worth it.
Michael Gremley
Feb 25, 2014
Anna Verhoye
Apr 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Alchemy of the Human Spirit: A Guide to Human Transition Into the New Age (Kryon, #3)
  • A Deep Breath of Life
  • Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way
  • Parenting with Presence: Practices for Raising Conscious, Confident, Caring Kids
  • Existence
  • Reality Transurfing Steps I-V
  • Yesterday's Sky: Astrology and Reincarnation
  • Soulmate: A Novel of Eternal Love
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • We're All Doing Time: A Guide to Getting Free
  • Ra Material
  • Falling in Love with Where You Are: A Year of Prose and Poetry on Radically Opening Up to the Pain and Joy of Life
  • No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life
  • Psychology of the Unconscious
  • The Way of Liberation
  • Running from Safety: An Adventure of the Spirit
“Compulsions are intricate survival systems that we create because we don’t know how to be there for ourselves.” 4 likes
“Understanding that we create our compulsions to take care of ourselves is essential in transforming our relationship to them.” 2 likes