Start by marking “Goodbye, Paris” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Paris

Goodbye, Paris

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,856 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews
Jojo Moyes meets Eleanor Oliphant in Goodbye, Paris, an utterly charming novel that proves that sometimes you have to break your heart to make it whole.

Grace once had the beginnings of a promising musical career, but she hasn’t been able to play her cello publicly since a traumatic event at music college years ago. Since then, she’s built a quiet life for herself in her sm
Published August 7th 2018 by Gallery Books (first published August 1st 2018)

·  6,856 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews

Start your review of Goodbye, Paris
Angela M
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Comparisons to other books in book descriptions is a pet peeve of mine because most of the time I just don’t see them. I’ve read and enjoyed several books by Jojo Moyes but I guess not the ones that this is compared too. I did read and love Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and the comparison is thin at best. So if you are going into this looking for those stories, you may not find them. I didn’t, but having said that, I found a sweet story in its own right and I wish publishers would promote ...more
Fran
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grace Atherton was a promising cellist. Her mother worked two jobs and her dad was a mechanic. Her parents paid more for her cello than they did for the family car. They dreamed Grace's dreams. In her first year of college, Grace was traumatized. Criticism and humiliation destroyed her confidence. Her overly critical professor asked her to leave his music program. She never played cello in public again.

Grace found her calling. She became a luthier, a restorer and maker of violins and violas. She
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 stars to Goodbye, Paris! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

Wow, Grace, the main character in Goodbye, Paris is leading a complicated life. She had once been a prominent cellist, but something happened in college that has kept her from playing in public since. Grace leads a somewhat hidden life while she has a long-distance affair with a man named David who is married with children. She is tied to David and waiting for him to leave his marriage for her, but he openly refuses until his children are grown. And until that
Kylie D
A wonderful, uplifting tale about finding friendship in the most unexpected of places. Grace is a violin maker that has her own shop in rural England and is in a long distance relationship with David, who lives in France. She has dreams of winning a prize in a prestigious violin making competition, but after a fateful night in Paris with David, her dreams come crashing down in the aftermath. With her soul at rock bottom, her friends rally around her, a lonely old man and an angst-ridden teen bec ...more
Liz
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018

The marketing for this book stated it was for fans of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, which was a favorite of mine. So, I had to give this a try. At the beginning, I didn’t see the connection. Grace is already in a relationship, albeit with a married man. But while they are together in Paris, he saves a woman in the metro and their lives are changed.

The book is told from Grace’s perspective and she paints David in a wonderful light. But I disliked him from the get go. Call it my personal q
Susanne  Strong
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Lovely and Sweet Stars!

Grace is a cellist and a luthier. She owns a shop where she repairs violins and violas. She loves her place in life and she loves her boyfriend David, though neither have brought her the fulfillment she imagined. After getting kicked out of music school, she no longer plays the cello in public and David happens to be married and has never given her the illusion that he’s planning to leave his wife, at least not while the children are little.

Grace has big plans however,
Jenny
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Anstey Harris choose the “feel good novel format “ for Goodbye, Paris, her first novel. She fully embraces this genre. Every person involved in this story has problems or issues or woes. And in the feel good format, all are neatly resolved by novels end.
Grace Atherton has her life set. She repairs musical instruments in her shop, tends her home, and friends Nadia and Mr. Williams. Most importantly she waits patiently for the children of her married lover, David, to come of age so she and David c
Paromjit
Anstey Harris gives us the delightful and moving story of the lonely Grace Atherton whose life revolves around her passion for music, although unable to play music in public after traumatic events in her past. She has settled into repairing stringed instruments at her violin shop, helped on Saturdays by the 17 year old Nadia, a girl with her own issues but an incredible musical talent, and sustained by clients, such as the elderly, compassionate, and kind Mr Williams. Grace's secrets keeps her d ...more
Larry H
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Goodbye, Paris , a woman whose life is shattered finds the strength to turn everything around, thanks to two unlikely allies.

"The only way I am going to start to rebuild my life is on a ladder of honesty. This is where I start; this naked vision of me."

Grace is a talented luthier; the musical instruments she makes and restores are praised by musicians and collectors around the world. At one time she had a promising future as a musician herself, until a traumatic incident led to her departu
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Jojo Moyes meets Eleanor Oliphant “ . . . . .

A note to all publishing houses, blurbists, whoever else lends a hand in writing things like the above hoping it will sell a lot of books/earn high ratings simply due to the namedropping . . . .

I mean, I bought into it enough to request this from NetGalley, sure, but I wouldn’t hand over my hard earn dollars on a comparison like the above ever – mainly because I'm well aware t
JanB
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss, 2019-reads
I just realized I read this back in July and didn't add it. This is the review I left on EW, but now, months later, I don't remember a single thing about it. Forgettable.

This was a pleasant enough read but I grew frustrated with the character who pined away for her married lover, who was clearly a cad. It took too long to show growth and change and I was bored.

I'm not a musician and couldn't connect with that part of the story line. For musical enthusiasts, this part of the book might work well
Berit☀️✨
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
A lovely tale filled with charm and heart!

Such a beautiful story about second chances, about moving on after heartbreak, about finding friendship in the most unlikeliest of places... This book is compared to “Eleanor Oliphant” in the blurb, after finishing the book I can see it, but it takes a long time to get to that point... there are the same themes of friendship and needing people in your life and growing as a person.... The book is a bit of a slow burner, please stick with it! I also was e
Linda
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
If you put Paris on a book, it'll catch my eye every time, especially if the cover is as charming as this one. That was enough for me to add this to my reading list and enter the giveaway, but soon after, I was contacted by a representative of the publisher, offering me a copy of "Goodbye, Paris." If it hadn't been for the speed and ease in which I had received this, I would have done a little research and most likely deleted it, thinking it was just another love story--not my genre of choice, b ...more
Sharon
Grace Atherton’s passion for music was more than obvious when people listened to her playing the cello. Her music career was about to go ahead that was until a traumatic event occurred in her music collage and since then she hasn’t been able to play publicly. Since that day, Grace has lived a quiet life working in her violin shop where she repairs instruments.

David came into Grace’s life when she was at her worst he helped her through this tough time and quickly their friendship turned into a r
Carol (Bookaria)
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fiction
A compelling story with lovable characters and complex situations.

Grace has been in a relationship with David for eight years. They were on the Paris Metro when David saves the life of a woman and then he leaves the scene soon after with Grace. The public is eager to learn the savior's identity and a media hunt for David ensues with a viral video and popular hashtag trending on twitter #herósmystère or #heromystery he is soon found.

Dark secrets are revealed once the media shares details of David
Bianca
The shy and somewhat recluse Grace Atherton is a luthier, who loves to make and repair string instruments. She herself is an accomplished cello player, not that anyone close to her has heard her play. Not even her lover of eight years, the charming David, who happens to have a wife and kids in Paris. Grace is always ready to drop whatever she's doing to meet with David whenever and wherever he's available. The crumbs he's offering are delicious. He was in many ways almost perfect - good-looking, ...more
Cindy Burnett
I had to DNF this one about a third of the way through. Grace is in a bad relationship, and all she does is constantly talk about what will happen when the day comes, and they can truly be together (a day that the reader can see won't come). I couldn't decide whether to be super irritated or feel very very sorry for her. Either way it was painful.
Krystal
Musical - literally - and highly predictable, but still an enjoyable story.

Plot: Grace is in love with David. Things get complicated. Grace seeks solace in her instrument-making, and the company of a headstrong teenager and an elderly man. There is intermittent David-drama.

The drama level is pretty high here, and even though I basically predicted everything, it still caught my breath to actually read the way it all played out. It's lucky there are so few characters because they all have their ow
Book of the Month
Why I Love It
by Steph Opitz

I think if the news cycle was less intense, or I wasn’t in desperate need of a palate cleanser post-Handmaid’s Tale and Westworld, I might have overlooked this book. I’m not naturally drawn to romantic stories (see above), and the idea of reading about a cello maker in the throes of a long-distance affair felt out of my wheelhouse. But skipping Goodbye, Paris would’ve been my loss.

From the beginning I was hooked: When David, married father of three, saves someone on a
Emily B
This was a cute story and pretty easy to read.

However It wasn’t exactly realistic. A 40 year old being best friends with a 17 year old.. owning a niche music shop but being able to travel to Paris on a whim constantly. Two extremely forgiving and supportive friends who would do almost anything for her.
Mellie Antoinette
DNF at 40%

This might be a good book. Might even have mad story vibes, but right now it’s just making me 😠🤬😡🤢🤮 MAD!!

David is a shit. Any man who throws love words at you when his wife is in the next room and convinces you not to have his child because he doesn’t want to hurt his family and still keeps you on a long string, just no No and NO! His name is on every page.

Question - why isn’t your name the first name on every page of your life?
Amanda
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Atherton’s life is dedicated to music and owns a shop that repairs violins. She was on the cusp of being the greatest cello player but something happened at college and since then she has not being able to play the cello publicly.

David is Grace’s love of her life, she saviours every moment they spend together, but theirs is a relationship that needs to be kept secret as it will hurt other people and herself.

When David saves someone’s life little does he know the press will want to find ou
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘What we know as a cello is actually called a violoncello hence the grammatical shortening to ‘cello’. It is part of the violin family, whereas a double bass is, technically, part of the viol family.’

The cello, the definition of this musical instrument precedes the opening chapter of the novel The Truths and Triumphs of Grace Atherton. It is important to have a good grasp of this instrument as it is so pertinent to this book’s narrative. The cello a
TL
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. 😊
---

I am not really sure what to say about this book. On one hand, I did enjoy the story but on the other hand, it didn't hit me as deeply as I wanted it to.

I was side-eyeing Grace and David a lot during the first part of this (David more than Grace but still). Without saying too much, I've seen the song and dance before in books/tv shows/movies so I wasn't really surprised at what happened but I did want to kick his behind
Marianne
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“We are an engine, the three of us, and we play with exactness, precision. We play like we are making a pact with the devil. We run through the music three times, stretching out the tune because we can’t bear to hear it end. Somehow, on the last note of the third turn around, we all stop. The silence is deafening. It feels like smoke... Nadia is grinning like a demon. We are untidy, sweaty. We are all excited and aflame.”

The Truths and Triumphs of Grace Atherton (also published as Goodbye, Paris
Elaine
Aug 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Tell me if you've heard this one before: a shy, unworldly woman discovers her lover is a cad and finds herself with the help of feisty friends who dispenses pearls of wisdom and has all the time in the world to lend a hand?

Sounds familiar, right?

Goodbye, Paris is worse.

** Spoilers ahead **

Grace is a 40 year old delusional, silly woman who has been having an affair with a married man, David, for eight years. She is just waiting for him to leave his wife and children.

Yeah, right.

They meet fo
Jill
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
To paraphrase Forrest Gump, books are sometimes like a box of chocolates—you never know what you’re going to get.

From the brief synopsis I read about Goodbye, Paris, I had pegged it as typical chick lit: interesting woman character, personal growth journey, woman hits bottom and rebounds, ends up knowing more about herself.

And yes, the structure is all there. BUT. And this is a big BUT. Anstey Harris can write and this story strains at its structure and ends up becoming absorbing and touching an
Dale Harcombe
Three and a half stars.
Grace Atherton runs a violin shop, making and repairing stringed instruments. Her own favourite instrument is the cello, although she never plays in public after being thrown out of music school years before. The cello is simply for her own enjoyment. Grace also has a long standing affair with David that involves interludes in Paris. Whenever David is available Grace tends to drop all other commitments to be with him. From the start of their relationship Grace has known he
Ian
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: g-womens-fiction
It's difficult to know what to say about this book.
Calling a spade a spade I just didn't really like the central character.
I loved Grace's assistant and the old man who comes into her shop but that's about it.
It's well written and there are some good moments but the writing wasn't good enough on its own and the moments were too few and far in between.

Many thanks to Touchstone for providing me with a review copy of this book
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really wanted to love this book, but it fell a little flat for me. I was so annoyed and frustrated by Grace and her relationship with David and I kept waiting for something big to happen that never really did. I did love Mr. Williams and how he cared for her, but that was really it. I definitely seem to be in the minority, so please take this with a grain of salt!
Aussie Readers: S&S Australia ARC November Giveaways - closes 30th November! 13 67 Nov 05, 2018 01:52PM
Book of The Month: Goodbye, Paris 10 42 Oct 13, 2018 10:56AM

• Lies Lies Lies
  • The Carer
  • So Lucky
  • Dreaming of Florence
Anstey Harris is based by the seaside in south-east England where she lives with her violinmaker husband and two dogs. She teaches creative writing in the community, local schools, and as an associate lecturer for Christchurch University in Canterbury.

Anstey writes about the things that make people tick, the things that bind us and the things that can rip us apart. In 2015, she won the H G Wells S