Start by marking “Goodbye, Paris” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Paris

Goodbye, Paris

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  1,940 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews
Jojo Moyes meets Eleanor Oliphant in Goodbye, Paris, an utterly charming novel that proves that sometimes you have to break your heart to make it whole.

Grace once had the beginnings of a promising musical career, but she hasn't been able to play her cello publicly since a traumatic event at music college years ago. Since then, she's built a quiet life for herself in her sm
Published August 7th 2018 by Touchstone (first published August 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye, Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye, Paris

Angela M
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Comparisons to other books in book descriptions is a pet peeve of mine because most of the time I just don’t see them. I’ve read and enjoyed several books by Jojo Moyes but I guess not the ones that this is compared too. I did read and love Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and the comparison is thin at best. So if you are going into this looking for those stories, you may not find them. I didn’t, but having said that, I found a sweet story in its own right and I wish publishers would promote ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 stars to Goodbye, Paris! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

Wow, Grace, the main character in Goodbye, Paris is leading a complicated life. She had once been a prominent cellist, but something happened in college that has kept her from playing in public since. Grace leads a somewhat hidden life while she has a long-distance affair with a man named David who is married with children. She is tied to David and waiting for him to leave his marriage for her, but he openly refuses until his children are grown. And until that
Fran
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grace Atherton was a promising cellist. Her mother worked two jobs and her dad was a mechanic. Her parents paid more for her cello than they did for the family car. They dreamed Grace's dreams. In her first year of college, Grace was traumatized. Criticism and humiliation destroyed her confidence. Her overly critical professor asked her to leave his music program. She never played cello in public again.

Grace found her calling. She became a luthier, a restorer and maker of violins and violas. She
Liz
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018

The marketing for this book stated it was for fans of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, which was a favorite of mine. So, I had to give this a try. At the beginning, I didn’t see the connection. Grace is already in a relationship, albeit with a married man. But while they are together in Paris, he saves a woman in the metro and their lives are changed.

The book is told from Grace’s perspective and she paints David in a wonderful light. But I disliked him from the get go. Call it my personal q
Susanne Strong
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Lovely and Sweet Stars!

Grace is a cellist and a luthier. She owns a shop where she repairs violins and violas. She loves her place in life and she loves her boyfriend David, though neither have brought her the fulfillment she imagined. After getting kicked out of music school, she no longer plays the cello in public and David happens to be married and has never given her the illusion that he’s planning to leave his wife, at least not while the children are little.

Grace has big plans however,
Jenny
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Anstey Harris choose the “feel good novel format “ for Goodbye, Paris, her first novel. She fully embraces this genre. Every person involved in this story has problems or issues or woes. And in the feel good format, all are neatly resolved by novels end.
Grace Atherton has her life set. She repairs musical instruments in her shop, tends her home, and friends Nadia and Mr. Williams. Most importantly she waits patiently for the children of her married lover, David, to come of age so she and David c
Linda
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
If you put Paris on a book, it'll catch my eye every time, especially if the cover is as charming as this one. That was enough for me to add this to my reading list and enter the giveaway, but soon after, I was contacted by a representative of the publisher, offering me a copy of "Goodbye, Paris." If it hadn't been for the speed and ease in which I had received this, I would have done a little research and most likely deleted it, thinking it was just another love story--not my genre of choice, b ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Jojo Moyes meets Eleanor Oliphant “ . . . . .

A note to all publishing houses, blurbists, whoever else lends a hand in writing things like the above hoping it will sell a lot of books/earn high ratings simply due to the namedropping . . . .

I mean, I bought into it enough to request this from NetGalley, sure, but I wouldn’t hand over my hard earn dollars on a comparison like the above ever – mainly because I'm well aware that ther
Book of the Month
Why I Love It
by Steph Opitz

I think if the news cycle was less intense, or I wasn’t in desperate need of a palate cleanser post-Handmaid’s Tale and Westworld, I might have overlooked this book. I’m not naturally drawn to romantic stories (see above), and the idea of reading about a cello maker in the throes of a long-distance affair felt out of my wheelhouse. But skipping Goodbye, Paris would’ve been my loss.

From the beginning I was hooked: When David, married father of three, saves someone on a
TL
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. 😊
---

I am not really sure what to say about this book. On one hand, I did enjoy the story but on the other hand, it didn't hit me as deeply as I wanted it to.

I was side-eyeing Grace and David a lot during the first part of this (David more than Grace but still). Without saying too much, I've seen the song and dance before in books/tv shows/movies so I wasn't really surprised at what happened but I did want to kick his behind
Cindy Burnett
I had to DNF this one about a third of the way through. Grace is in a bad relationship, and all she does is constantly talk about what will happen when the day comes, and they can truly be together (a day that the reader can see won't come). I couldn't decide whether to be super irritated or feel very very sorry for her. Either way it was painful.
Jill
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
To paraphrase Forrest Gump, books are sometimes like a box of chocolates—you never know what you’re going to get.

From the brief synopsis I read about Goodbye, Paris, I had pegged it as typical chick lit: interesting woman character, personal growth journey, woman hits bottom and rebounds, ends up knowing more about herself.

And yes, the structure is all there. BUT. And this is a big BUT. Anstey Harris can write and this story strains at its structure and ends up becoming absorbing and touching an
Mellie Antoinete
DNF at 40%

This might be a good book. Might even have mad story vibes, but right now it’s just making me 😠🤬😡🤢🤮 MAD!!

David is a shit. Any man who throws love words at you when his wife is in the next room and convinces you not to have his child because he doesn’t want to hurt his family and still keeps you on a long string, just no No and NO! His name is on every page.

Question - why isn’t your name the first name on every page of your life?
Ian
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: g-womens-fiction
It's difficult to know what to say about this book.
Calling a spade a spade I just didn't really like the central character.
I loved Grace's assistant and the old man who comes into her shop but that's about it.
It's well written and there are some good moments but the writing wasn't good enough on its own and the moments were too few and far in between.

Many thanks to Touchstone for providing me with a review copy of this book
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really wanted to love this book, but it fell a little flat for me. I was so annoyed and frustrated by Grace and her relationship with David and I kept waiting for something big to happen that never really did. I did love Mr. Williams and how he cared for her, but that was really it. I definitely seem to be in the minority, so please take this with a grain of salt!
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed The Truths and Triumphs of Grace Atherton; it's a fairly slow burner but it kept me turning the pages because I wanted to find out how things would end for the main characters... even though the main character Grace could be a bit irritating at times. I definitely assumed she was way younger than forty(ish) until her age was explicitly stated; she reads as quite naive, particularly in the way she's constantly anticipating her and David's future life together (I don't want to give too m ...more
Ivonne Rovira
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Affairs with married men don’t end well, either in literature (cf. The End of the Affair (marred woman in that case), We Don't Live Here Anymore) or in real life (e.g., Katherine Hepburn, Marla Maples, Sienna Miller, that woman who GOP fundraiser Elliott B. Broidy impregnated). Goodbye, Paris is no exception. Grace Atherton has been dating David Hewitt for eight years, grabbing time in Paris, where David lives, when they can. Of course, David has a wife and children in Salzburg, but Grace believ ...more
Kathy Kugelman
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to read this debut novel in one day, but I did. I just couldn't put it down. There are so many twists and turns. Just when you think you have it all about figured out, BAM! This takes place mainly in Paris but there is a little bit of London and Italy thrown in. It is about starting over, letting go of the past and taking chances. The author has a wonderful style of easy flowing writing. The only parts I really didn't enjoy were the musical parts about the stringed instruments an ...more
Morgan Tallman
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Did I just stay up way past my bedtime reading this book? Yes i did! Do I regret it? Not one bit! I loved this story and became completely immersed in it! Following Grace, Nadia, and Mr. Williams as they go through changes in their lives; and while experiencing an in depth love of music was amazing to read.
Cindy Roesel
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading a barrage of thrillers and psychological dramas, it was more than satisfying to find the quirky GOOD-BYE, PARIS (Touchstone) on my to be read shelf. It's a delightful novel about having your heart-broken and finding happiness again. GOOD-BYE, PARIS is a cheery and incredibly satisfying read. Can you tell I liked it immensely?

Grace loves the cello. Grace loves David. Grace loves Paris, her violin shop and the charming gentleman who regularly shows up in her store. Grace even loves h
Barbara
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars: “Goodbye, Paris” is a worthy feel-good read. Grace Atherton, the novel’s main character, is a bit naïve, almost to a fault. She blindly loves a married man, although she doesn’t consider herself to be “that sort of woman who steals husbands”. Grace has a nine-year affair with David, whom she allows to rule her life. In the beginning of the story, Grace is a frustrating character in her devotion to David. Because of the rave reviews, I continued to read. I’m pleased that I did.

This is
Noemie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, arcs
Thank you to Touchstone Books for the free copy in exchange for my honest review! #partner

Grace Atherton is a lovely woman. She owns a stringed instrument shop, and makes/repairs beautiful instruments (cellos, violins, etc). She has a relationship of 8 years with her partner, David, whom she frequently meets in Paris for romantic rendezvous. One day, an unexpected event occurs, and she is faced with changes - what will her life look like now? How can she continue on?

This is a very sweet book, al
Beyondthebookends
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Touchstone for my copy of this book.  It will be released in about a week.  This is a book about Grace a musician who has to come to terms with her life, her choices and find a way toward happiness. The beginning of the book was enjoyable but the book really develops as Grace comes to find herself.  Her inter-generational friendships really brought this book to life for me.
Liz Fenwick
Beautiful. Loved it.
❆ kayleigh ( awkword reviews ) ❆

"'They believe in the coup de foudre,' he said, 'the lightning bolt. The French say that it will hit everyone once in a lifetime. It could be someone you see on the other side of the street, maybe only one time, and never even speak to. It could be when you're a child or seconds before you die.'"

The Truths and Triumphs of Grace Atherton by Anstey Harris is quite literally the best romance book I've read all year.

Grace Atherton is a mistress; but not the generic kind. Her partner of eight year
Fabulous Book Fiend
This book was so different from anything I've read before, in a good way I hasten to add, it was beautiful, uplifting and really taught me a thing or two about the world of stringed instruments!

I warmed to Grace as a character straight away and definitely wanted the best outcome for her as the book progressed. She definitely has some skeletons in her closet and keeps herself pretty closed off from other people so it felt wickedly intimate as I got to learn her secrets and see her softer, more vu
Chelsea
The music focus saves this book from a two-star. I didn't particularly like the main character; I find it hard to feel sympathetic for someone who continues to make bad choices when the truth is staring her in the face. I don't have time for that nonsense. But the supporting characters were lovely and the urge to listen to cello music was strong.
Trina
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goodbye, Paris is a heartbreakingly, beautiful tale about relationships, the resilience of love, and the acceptance of loss all set to the backdrop of romantic cities and the arts.

Grace, a former musician with a traumatic musical schooling experience, enjoys a quiet life repairing instruments in a small English town. After a chance meeting a man named David, Grace and David are mad for each other and enjoy a long-distance relationship. One casual day while waiting for the Paris Metro, David perf
Hayley Stenger
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and quiet novel about flawed characters finding happiness in themselves.
Literary Soirée
I LEFT MY BROKEN HEART IN PARIS

I love the City of Light and fiction depicting complicated relationships. And I love even more when resolution comes for a strong deserving talented woman, such as GOODBYE, PARIS’ protagonist Grace.

A cellist who no longer publicly plays since a trauma at music school, she creates a quiet life restoring stringed instruments until she meets married David, who encourages her and dangles a carrot of marriage once his kids grow older. They have a glorious affair at fi
Aussie Readers: S&S Australia ARC November Giveaways - closes 30th November! 13 60 Nov 05, 2018 01:52PM
Book of The Month: Goodbye, Paris 10 36 Oct 13, 2018 10:56AM
Anstey Harris is based by the seaside in south-east England where she lives with her violinmaker husband and two dogs. She teaches creative writing in the community, local schools, and as an associate lecturer for Christchurch University in Canterbury.

Anstey writes about the things that make people tick, the things that bind us and the things that can rip us apart. In 2015, she won the H G Wells S