Start by marking “Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea” as Want to Read:
Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea

Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea

In a richly romantic novel set in stunning Positano, Italy, Sara Alexander weaves a story of love, family loyalty, and sacrifice spanning five decades . . .

Nestled into the cliffs in southern Italy's Amalfi coast, Positano is an artist's vision, with rows of brightly hued houses perched above the sea and picturesque staircases meandering up and down the hillside. Santina
Published August 28th 2018 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea

ABCme
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Kensington Books for the ARC.

Wow! What an impressive book I've just read!

It's 2005 and Santina Guida shares with us her memories of a long and fullfilled life.
We start in the late 1940's in the poorer part of Positano, Italy, a pitoresque town where many artists find inspiration. When her mother dies her father sends her to work in a local shop. There she meets an art dealers couple who take her with them to London. After having outstayed her welcome Santina is hired as t
Pam
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 becuase it was soooo long. ...with long paragraphs and long sentences. Aside from that I enjoyed this story that spanned five decades. Part coming of age, romance, family, secrets, and sacrifice. A beautiful setting and a lot of cooking (which I skimmed through eventually.)
Literary Soirée
Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea is a glorious romantic story set against the beauty of Italy’s Amalfi coast. Love, family and hidden secrets collide in this compelling saga covering five decades. Highly recommended!

Thanks to the author, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#FourHundredAndFortyStepsToTheSea #NetGalley
Terri
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review also found at https://kristineandterri.blogspot.com...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher Kensington in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I chose this story because I love a good book that spans over multiple generations. I had a gut feeling that this would be one of those stories that would haunt me and I was proven correct.

I loved the character of Santini from the very beginning and wanted everything to work out for her. Her quiet strength and sense of loy
Cozy Cat Reviews
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the review copy. My review is my own.
In this book we meet Santina Guida who shares her memories of a long interesting life in Italy.
She grew up in poverty and left Italy to work in London. She becomes a nanny for a wealthy couple who soon move back to Posotano Italy and Santina is back in her homeland. She teaches herself to read and write , grow food and cook.. She likes her life although it is a life of servitude. She enjoys caring for their c
Robin
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This one packs ALOT into 416 pages and feels more like a chunkster saga.

This is the life story of Santina, born poor in Positano and motherless by 12. She dreams of getting out, but for a couple of relatively brief stints, ends up there most of her life. Her relationships with the men in her life are complicated and troublesome, with the women loving and easy.

The book is divided into 4 time periods in her life: a brief overview of her life before she lost her mother until age 16; 16-early
Anne
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Santina is a young girl hoping to escape her life in Italy in 1949. She goes to London, but is soon hired by a family who return (ironically) to her home town. But she loves the family and decides to go with them anyway. Now she is living at the "palace" at the end of town, but is still just the housekeeper/babysitter. As each year passes, Santina becomes more enmeshed with the family. Life is never simple and straightforward, and there are always secrets to be hid.
Ellen
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was quickly engaged in the story of Santina, a young woman growing up in Positano. The book was not historical fiction based on the events of the times, but one woman’s story, and how her choices were limited by the different eras she experienced, from 1949 to 2005. Santina wants to go to America, but her situation brings her back from London to the Italy she was trying to escape, as the caretaker for a little girl. Enjoyable novel.
SpookBooks
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This is a very well written novel. It kept me interested until the end, even pushing me through the few slow parts. Every single character was an integral part of the story line and Adeline's life. In fact there are a few I could see staring in their own novel. I became so attached to Adeline that there were times I wanted to shake her in hopes of waking her up to change course.
MJ Cahill
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
excellent read
Julie Smith
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I would rate this 3 and a half stars. It was good and kept my interest, though at times a bit overly wordy.i was also disappointed in the ending which left some of the characters hanging.
Lisa
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Just a genuine joy to read!! A love story, yes, but with a twist or two! I want to read all other books this author has written, if any!!
Laura Luzzi
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway, fiction
Loved it.
Suzanne Byrnes
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful book about love and loss.
Charlene Metzger
This book was a lovely read! Very beautiful writing. I loved the Positano setting and all the descriptions of the cooking.
Vicky Vidalaki
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2018
If you are longing for a sun-drenched, lemon scented, herb-infused novel about smoldering love, loyalty, and sacrifice, snatch "Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea (US title)/ The Secret Legacy (UK title)by Sara Alexander.
The novel has a Beguiling protagonist, complex characters, mesmerizing setting, and a bitter-sweet love story in its center. Nurturing and Sensuality are at the core of this novel: They are in the many forms of love Santina, the heroine, so generously shares, they are in t
Andrea
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
3.5/5
Love a great coming of age novel? Set in Italy with all sorts of family drama & a love affair? Did I mention our young lady loves to cook? Then Four Hundred and Forty Steps to the Sea is the novel for you! The ultimate story of a young girl, her sacrifices for love & family are truly unbeknownst & I can’t imagine being in her shoes...
Gina Wraspir
Jacqui
Sep 21, 2018
Leith Devine
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely book. I always enjoy historical fiction, and the book follows the life and loves of an amazing lady named Santini. The story will grab you, and the descriptions of the beautiful Amalfi coast of Italy will make you get on a plane and go there!

It was a little long but I loved it anyway and highly recommend it. Thanks to Kensington Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Mary Fredendall
Hema Vadivelu
Jan 05, 2019
Lady Di
Oct 28, 2018
  • The Queen's Gambit (The Wonderland Series: Book 4)
  • Wilde Side (Born to be Wilde, #2)
  • Sickness Behind Young Eyes (Haunted Shadows #1)
  • Cooking with Kandy (Will Cook for Love, #1)
  • Head Games
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • House of Ashes
  • Onyx Webb: Book Three: Episodes 7, 8, 9
  • To Win Her Smile (Players, #5)
  • Picture Postcards
  • Ravenwood
  • The Darkest Place (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #4)
  • The Paper Doll Museum
  • Chasing Love (Littleton Brothers, #2)
  • The Cornish Knot
  • The Tease (Darling Killer Trilogy, #1)
  • Fully Dressed (The Bayou Bachelors, #1)
  • Love Me Tender (Caribou Crossing, #4)