Start by marking “Sword Princess Amaltea, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Sword Princess Amaltea, Vol. 1

Sword Princess Amaltea, Vol. 1

(Sword Princess Amaltea #1)

In a fairytale world where queens rule and magic is power, a defiant young princess is sent on the biggest quest of her life -- to rescue a prince in distress and marry him! But when she finds him, it seems the prince isn't so eager to go along with her queendom's plans. Join Amaltea as she sets out on an epic journey to slay dragons, battle bandits and make princes swoon.
Published June 26th 2018 by TokyoPop (first published October 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sword Princess Amaltea, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword Princess Amaltea, Vol. 1

Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I was quite interested in this manga-style comic, especially because of the blurb. Welcome to the world where the roles are flipped. Princesses save princes and then marry them. Princesses kill the dragons. You can imagine that this sounds really fun, but what if you are the kind of princess like Amaltea, and just don’t want all this.

Yes, Amaltea is spoiled, at times annoying, at times frustrating, and wa
Gabriell Anderson
May 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, cz, paperback
Nejsem cílovka. Nejsem cílovka. Nejsem cílovka. Nejsem cílovka. Nejsem cílovka. A očividně nejsem ani Vojta.
Troufám si tvrdit, že chápu, co se autorka snažila celým tímhle říct. To, co nechápu je její rozhodnutí celý příběh vystavět jenom z nejprovařenějších klišé, dějových nesmyslů a ve formě, která podle mě bude utrpením pro kohokoliv, kdo si nemyslí, že proti patriarchátu a celkové nadvládě mužů je potřeba bojovat totálně over-the-top příběhem, který musí přijít naivní i dětem, co už v
Valéria.
So.. Hm.. I'm not gonna rate this book because I think I shouldn't. But:

1. Not funny as I expected (no, that horse is not funny.)
2. Amaltea is super-idiot and annoying.
3. I stopped counting how many times that group of bandits appeared in the middle of the book. Repetitive.
4. It was so CUTE I think I'm going to spend at least 5 hours looking at videos how people are getting smashed by train or something similar to recover from this sugary trauma.
5. CZ translat
Vojtěch Rabyniuk
Absolutně pozitivní překvapení. Fantasy manga ze světa kde muži a ženy mají ve společnosti prohozené role a tomu odpovídají i stereotypy a chování. Premisa příběhu je, že mladá princezna Amaltea musí zachránit z věže kterou hlídá drak prince aby se za ní mohl provdat a ona tak zdědila královenství jeho matky. Nejen že příběh je chytlavý a zatraceně vtipný, ale Natalia Batista perfektně chápe mangu nejen kresbou! Kdybych to nevěděl, tak bych nikdy nehádal, že Amaltea je Evropská manga. Nenechte s ...more
Laura A. Grace
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-read

Well, I would say this book very much delivered with this gorgeous looking cover! It was the first thing that drew me in, followed by the very intriguing premise of a princess being the one to rescue the prince.

I very much enjoyed this story. Sometimes I couldn't stand Amalthea because she really was so self-centered, but for being a short read, she had a wonderful arc of growth. By the end I was really cheering for her and would love to read book two.

La tana dei libri sconosciuti
Sono rimasta colpita dalla fantasia di Natalia Batista, un mondo in cui le donne sono al comando e, quindi, tutto il resto si srotola partendo da questo gomitolo: l’eredità al trono, il matrimonio, il dover andare a salvare un principe in pericolo per dimostrare il proprio valore e diventare così l’erede del suo trono… Dai, è fantastico!
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review
Title: Sword Princess Amaltea
Author: Natalia Batista
Genre: Manga
Rating: *****
Review: The opening to Sword Princess Amaltea was great. we are introduced to the two princess Amaltea and her older sister Dorotea, who are playing when Amaltea realizes her sister is stronger and faster than her and plans to overtake her one day.
We then jump forward to when Amaltea is 17 and her sister 19, her mother informs her she is going to fulfil her duty as a Princess bu
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Review
Title: Sword Princess Amaltea
Author: Natalia Batista
Genre: Manga
Rating: *****
Emanuel
(OBS recensionen är under arbete! Ej klar!)

Sword Princess Amaltea är den typen av saga som avsiktligt letar upp genrens klichéer för att vrida dem ett varv eller två . Här är twisten att könsrollerna är omkastade. Kvinnliga karaktärer som svingar svärd och dödar drakar hittar man i många andra serier. Det är männen som får mig att göra en double take. Se bara på Amalteas pappas kroppsspråk här när han tröstar sin dotter:

Amalteas omtänksamma pappa

Och här är barpojken Tibus i färd med att utnyttja sin manliga fägring och list (P.S. jag äls
Jockum
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hade mangan varit skriven med konventionella könsroller kunde jag sträcka mig till att kalla den, möjligen, smått underhållande. Handlingen är en konventionell "rädda prinsessan från draken", med andra stereotyper för sagor och fantasy.

Men twisten som gör att man kanske ska kolla lite närmare på Amaltea är de ombytta könsrollerna.
Det är ingen större världsomvändelse, eftersom könen rätt och slätt byts ut och det manliga språket byts ut motkvinnligt dvs. "vad man gör" blir "vad kvin gör". Samma
Elvira
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
råkade radera allt jag skrivit kring denna ... men: bra, ej megabra, himla intressant och så.
Petra
Väldigt intressant med de ombytta könsrollerna. Plus att den var fantastiskt tecknad.
Soobie's scared
Natalia Batista l'ho conosciuta in Svezia nel 2013. Stavo gironzolando per Stoccolma e avevo visto sulla guida Lonely che c'era un negozio di fumetti nelle vicinanze. Lei era lì per firmare le copie del primo volume di Amaltea. L'ho comprato e ci ho messo tre mesi a leggerlo. L'ho letto davvero, con il dizionario in parte!

Così sono stata contentissima che fosse tradotto anche in italiano.

Metterci le mani sopra è stato difficile. In fumetteria non sono riuscita ad ordinarlo perché ne
Tania
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dimenticate le favole come le conoscete. Dimenticate il coraggioso principe dall'armatura lucente che va a salvare la bella principessa indifesa. Qui la Batista scombina i soliti schemi per dar valore alle donne reputandole il sesso forte in un mondo che può sembrare "strambo" agli occhi di noi lettori abituati ad una società per la maggior parte maschilista.

Tutto ha inizio in un mondo dove solo le donne possono usare la magia. Sono loro a governare e a combattere mentre i maschi, considerati i
Michael
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-gns
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Everyone in this world has had their roles reversed. What a nice switch up for the old knight in shining armor tale. Princess Amaltea, the youngest daughter, is sent out by her mother to go rescue a prince and marry him. Once she returns him to his homeland, she will become queen and receive half their lands. Besides the prince being rescued, the bandits in the book are women and the barmaid is a man.
Nicole Westen
I was kind of hoping for a fantasy romp, but this just made me angry. I respect the author for what she's trying to do, challenge accepted gender norms and stereotypes. But the way she doesn't is was burns me up. The sexes of the roles are reversed, and that's it. Yes it is a matriarchy where the princess has to rescue the prince, but the prince is weak, essentially defenseless, and emotional. The princess is strong, a braggart, and generally the hero despite the situation. Basically the female ...more
Wayne McCoy
'Sword Princess Amaltea, Book 1' by Natalia Batista has a fun premise, but falls into that weird area of manga for me.

Amaltea lives in a kingdom where, if she wants any kind of title, she needs to go rescue a prince. She sets out with lots of royal protection, which she loses as soon as she can. Soon she has found a dragon, a prince, a group of bandits and a very effeminate innkeeper.

I liked the premise, but the execution just didn't work for me. The over effeminate male
Meghan
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as another advanced reader's copy for our graphic novel section because of the demand of more female heroines in our graphic novel from our young adult patrons. This book had it all; drama, suspense, conflict, life lessons and action packed scenes that will leave our readers on the edge of their seats. I also was a fan of the artwork and how well it flowed with the plotline making ti easier to follow along and understand what was happening in the story and that is very impor ...more
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Omg this manga had me laughing so hard. This is actually my first manga and I *loved* it. The characters' personalities reminded me of Ouran Highschool Host Club and well, that thrilled me to no end.
The world in Sword Princess Amaltea has fantasy tropes flipped. Women rule, and princesses must save "lads in distress". It brought on a lot of female power into play and I'm super interested to keep on reading the next volumes!

*Full review coming soon!*
Amy Johnson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover caught my eye at London Comic Con and I’m so pleased I picked it up. Natalia’s drawing style is gorgeous and I love the gender-flipped world she’s created. I also enjoy Amaltea’s character. She’s stubborn, arrogant and generally a bit of a knobhead, but that’s what I like about her, strangely enough - she’s laughably entitled, but being out of her queendom is changing her. Looking forward to getting to read the next volume!
Deanna Nguyen
Sword Princess Amaltea is meant to be a satire and not a feminist story. Even so, I couldn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. I love the idea about a matriarchal society and girls becoming knights who rescue helpless princes, but I wish the characters didn't play into those tired tropes despite the gender norm swap. Aside from that, Amaltea is beautifully drawn and I'm happy to read a manga from a non-Japanese author!
Marissa
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned about this book through a TokyoPop panel at Anime Expo 2018 this past weekend and immediately fell in love with the art style and story! I also got to meet the author and talk about the story with her! I enjoy how the roles have been reversed and the princess is the one that's doing the saving. I'm very excited for the next installment.
Hauntedbybooks
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I thought this was an interesting and fun read!
Kathleen
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I felt like they were maybe trying too hard to pull off the gender-reversed knight-princess trope. I liked the boys fine, but the princess is insufferable!
Anna Walden
tycker om själva idén och vad boken säger om samhället idag. fint tecknad och rolig vissa stunder. men kände liksom ingenting dör karaktärerna och det blir lite väl stereotyp ibland.
Liza
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Loved the world setting but Amaltea is such an idiot.
Vicotnic
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Idén är kul men resultatet var en ganska tråkig serie tyvärr.
Kateřina Vašíčková
Nesedlo mi chování postav. Výměna rolí princezny a prince je zvláštní.
Andréa
Jun 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Note: I received a finished copy of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Soobie's scared
Questo fumetto è pubblicato anche in italiano dalla rivista online Doraetos e quindi una recensione anche nella mia lingua ci vuole. Basta andare alla fine del testo in svedese.

Jag är klar med Amaltea!!!!

Jag är mycket stolt över mig själv. Den här boken ar den första bok som jag läser på Svenska. En egentlig bok motsats Ankomsten som har inga ord.

OK, Jag vet ingenting om svenska serier men jag träffade Natalia Batista i Stockholm på en bokhandel. Hon signerade Amalteas boken och vi pratade li/>Jag
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Natalia Batista, född 1986, är mangaillustratör och författare. Hon är utbildad vid Serieskolan i Malmö och har även läst japanska. Batista undervisar också om manga på bibliotek, skolor och museum. 2010 debuterade hon som författare med mangaserien Mjau!

Sword Princess Amaltea (3 books)
  • Sword Princess Amaltea, Bok 2