Start by marking “The Light Between Worlds” as Want to Read:
The Light Between Worlds

The Light Between Worlds

Five years ago, Evelyn and Philippa Hapwell cowered from air strikes in a London bomb shelter. But that night took a turn when the sisters were transported to another realm called the Woodlands. In a forest kingdom populated by creatures out of myth and legend, they found temporary refuge.

Published November 1st 2018 by Chicken House Books (first published October 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Light Between Worlds, please sign up.
Laura Weymouth Hi! The Light Between Worlds is a standalone, though I'm currently hard at work on an unrelated second book that I think those who enjoy TVK will love…moreHi! The Light Between Worlds is a standalone, though I'm currently hard at work on an unrelated second book that I think those who enjoy TVK will love :)(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura Weymouth It is very much meant to be open to reader interpretation, so that's a matter of your perspective, and what you believe about the characters based on …moreIt is very much meant to be open to reader interpretation, so that's a matter of your perspective, and what you believe about the characters based on the text!(less)

Start your review of The Light Between Worlds
Charlotte May
Beautiful and sad all at the same time.

“I think it’s very easy to find yourself living a life full of regret…and that you should always make the courageous decision, even when doing so seems hard.”

I picked this one up mainly because of the Narna-like vibes it gives off. Another reviewer said that it reads like Narnia fan-fiction, which I would say I agree with, and that definitely isn’t a bad thing!

The chapters alternate between the past – where siblings Jamie, Philippa and Evelyn have been tr
C.G. Drews
I'll be honest = this book hit me really hard and I'm a bit dismayed that (in all the promo/reviews/hype I've seen) no one's talked about how this is very heavily about depression and suicide. Please be careful if you pick it up and you're not in a good place. I honestly felt (and I hope I'm wrong and that I misunderstood the book's intention) that it had underlying tones of depressed people being a burden to society and their families. This is so so dangerous to say. And so so untrue. Depressed ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
A picked this book up on a total whim and absolutely loved it. The writing was fantastic, and the story made my heart ache in the best way.
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

“A Woodlands heart always find its way home”

🌟 The moment I set my eyes on this cover I knew I was going to read this book. It has one of the best covers ever. I wanted the inside to match the outside, well it happened but to a certain degree.

🌟 Let’s just say that the first thing that caught my attention was the writing style, Laura is a very good writer and for those who like poetical writing th
Joey Rambles
You know, if you can get past the off-putting formatting and enigmatic writing style of this novel, there's actually a pretty interesting story in it!

Too bad I couldn't get past the off-putting formatting and enigmatic writing style.

This is going to sound like an angry review, so before anything else, I'd like to say this: everything I dislike about this novel is purely on a semantic level. I have no problems with its characters or its plot. It's actually pretty sophisticated for a YA novel.

Lik
Nadhira Satria
Boring and a complete rip off of Narnia.
bleh
Melissa
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A yearning, achingly lovely take on what happens when you find your way free of your own world and into one that suits you better--then are forced back home again. This is a book for anyone who dreamed of being Lucy Pevensie or broke their heart over poor Susan, with the mystical, lonesome feeling of a clearing happened upon in the woods.
Chelsea
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where I’m trying not to factor in the “enjoyment” factor when rating this. The writing itself is 5 star worthy. It’s extremely poetic prose but instead of being light and flowy, it’s heavy and introspective. This entire story is a love letter to depression in a painfully beautiful voice.

While this has notes of portal fantasy like Every Heart A Doorway does, it explores the depressive thoughts of those children kicked out of their fantasy worlds even more than that one
Vicky Again
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a poignant read, I'm stunned by Weymouth's expert skill at manipulating what we perceive as reality and fiction.

Not only was I wholly immersed in this novel--in the rich worlds of the Woodlands and wartime London--I was also invested in the characters' stories and wanted to see them succeed.

Let me backtrack.

Weymouth definitely blew my expectations away with her debut, and I definitely already had decently high expectations.

Yet, there was so much meaning and subtext within this nove
Cindy
If you have loved Narnia, you MUST look this book up next fall. I don't even have words to describe how much I adored it; the lyrical, literary prose, the deeply flawed but eminently relatable characters, the utterly phenomenal premise. This book is like nostalgia incarnate, and not quite like anything I've ever read. ❤️❤️❤️ DEFINITELY read it.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Some people will see this as a loving homage to Narnia, with similar elements easily identified: Lucy, Susan and Peter are obviously Evelyn, Philippa, and Jamie, with Aslan recreated in Cervus the stag, and the Woodlands creatures shadows of Narnia natives.

Others will see it as a Narnia ri
Hollis
This book is achingly horribly painfully sad.

The pitch for THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS is basically what would life be like for children, grown into heroes or saviours in another world, to come home (ie, post-Narnia). Or to what was once home. I'm not sure exactly what I expected from such a plot, and of course I didn't read the synopsis before diving in, but I was totally unprepared for this experience. In a good and a bad way.

Weymouth's writing is stunning and I want more from this author; that i
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

5 years ago, Evelyn and Philippa Hapwell cowered from air strikes in a London bomb shelter. But that night the sisters were transported to another realm called the Woodlands. In a forest kingdom populated by creatures out of myth and legend, they found temporary refuge. When they finally returned to London, nothing had changed at all—nothing, except themselves. When Evelyn goes missing, Philippa must confront the depth of her sister’s despair a
Lenore .
✧ ARC PROVIDED BY THE PUBLISHER VIA EDELWEISS IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW ✧

Have you read The Chronicles of Narnia or watched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? If yes, don't come anywhere near this book. Reread or rewatch Narnia instead. You'll be getting the better execution of the exact same premise.

There isn't an ounce of originality in The Light Between Worlds. It's practically a recycled version of Narnia, minus Edmund:
✔️ four three children are swept away to a magical medieval land
Lata
I haven't read Seanan McGuire's "Wayward Children" series yet (I know, I know, I'm going to get to it!) I believe this book covers a little of the same ground, in that some children are taken to a magical land then are returned after some years. Laura Weymouth's two main characters and sisters Evelyn and Philippa, and their brother Jamie, are spirited away to the Woodlands by a stag called Cervus during an air raid and bombing during the second World War. Unfortunately, after they return, Evelyn ...more
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

This book... well it wasn't my favorite. It did get a wee bit better as it went along, at least? Idk, I am grasping at straws here, because I wanted so desperately to like it. And tons of people did, from what I can tell on Goodreads! So as always, opinions vary!

The Things I Liked:

•The sibling bond. The sibling story that the story was rooted in was great. They experienced a lot
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
May 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Update: I got an arc 🙆🏼‍♀️

May 5th, 2018

Someone said this is like Narnia....

I am so ready for this book to come out🙊
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
This book is 50% girl searching for her way back home and 50% girl searching for her missing sister. It involves a lot of emotional and physical searching.

If you’re searching for a POW-wow-wow book, this isn’t it. It’s a quiet and character-heavy look at emotions and the repercussions of having to leave behind what you love, and I love the idea of it - because what does happen after the journey’s done and everyone is heroes? Do you just go home?

It was beautiful and simple novel that felt very q
London Shah
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't even know how much you're going to love this book... Oh my goodness, it is haunting in the most beautiful ways. Prepare to meet one of the most unforgettable MC's you've ever read about––I can't believe how much I connected with Ev!!! I still think about her, and that's something when you consider I read an early draft of this story. I cannot wait to read the final version. So utterly beautifully written, a heartbreaking premise, and an MC who will grab your heart and run away into the ...more
Brittany S.
Initial Impressions 8/19/18 & review posted on The Book Addict's Guide 7/25/19: 4.5 stars
What a beautiful book this was! THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS wasn't quite what I was expecting but it turned out to be even better. The focus was much more on the time after the fantasy world and how the three siblings had to deal with being back in the real world and it made for such an emotional story. I loved the characters and how real everything felt. The emotions really struck me and I connected with these
R.J. Rodda
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was on the fence about this book until I found myself crying. It’s beautifully written and achingly sad in places. It’s about loving someone who is happy in a completely different life to you, one you can’t share. It’s about two sisters who belong in different places, and the grief and loss tied up in that. A bookclub would have much to discuss here.

Incidentally I found the ‘Narnia’ (Woodlands) aspect less compelling than the actual Narnia books. The focus is really on the real world.

And rig
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
3.5

DO NOT READ THE BLURB, IT WILL SPOIL YOU.
Leah
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
How dare someone think to write this! I mean ... this was just ... COMPLETELY, UTTERLY AND IRREVOCABLY DEVASTATING!!!

First, let me start off by saying I had ridiculously high expectations for this book. Ever since the deal was announced, say a year and a half ago, I have kept an eye on every single update. The title change, the cover reveal which then changed as well (to a masterpiece, I might add), when ARCs went out, etc. The author even followed me back on Twitter a little while ago and I los
Britt
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was quite a trip. It started out with a Chronicles of Narnia vibe but then turned into all of the darkness and poetic beauty of Wintersong. This book gives insight to what might happen after Narnia. They’ve lived in a different world, are years older, different people – and then get thrown back into their younger bodies in this old world. It is a story about the bond/relationship between sisters, and dealing with loss, grief, and guilt. Keep in mind that this is a pretty emotional ...more
Ameema Saeed
4.5 stars.

I'm an Indigo Employee, and I received an advanced reading copy of this book, in exchange for my honest feedback.

The alternate ending to Narnia that you never knew you needed. This book was devastating (in the best of ways). Covering incredibly heavy topics like grief, loss, trauma, and mental illness – this book was truly genre-defying. Almost split into two stories – this read half like the story of a young, troubled girl – torn between two worlds; and half like the new adult coming-
theresa
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
sometimes you will read a book and it will click with you.and sometimes you will read a book and feel like you have both lost and found yourself in between its pages.The Light Between Worlds by Laura Weymouth is exactly that.this book broke me and put me back together,it was painful and beautiful.my heart aches for Evie and Philippa and Jamie,but i know that they will be alright.it’s a weird thing:being in love with a book,but it’s a most precious one too.
Tracey Dyck
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads, owned
I'm not even sure where to begin on this book. On one hand, it was lovely--beautifully written and hauntingly evocative of another time and place. On the other, I found it very, very melancholy right up until the final chapter. There didn't seem to be much light between worlds, as the title would suggest.

WHAT I LOVED
-Such a strong setting, particularly in our world! I liked the Woodlands too, but it's been compared to Narnia, and I preferred to think of the Woodlands as its own thing... because
Kathy
Right. Where do I even start with this?

How about here: there's only one other book (or series, rather) I've read this year that's made me cry as much as this one, and even now, days later, it's got me aching and drenched with its characters and their pains.

I wondered if should take a month to sort out my feelings and write something that can be at least 10% of what this story is worth. Then I realized I could take the entire year and still have no "perfect" review to show at the end of it.

Becaus
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature Y.A. readers
What Stood Out To Me:
Very reminiscent of C.S. Lewis' Narnia books, which made me really like this one! I do think it is more appropriate for mature Y.A. readers, because of some of the more adult situations and scenes.
Memorable Quotes:
(pg. 115)-"I'm afraid of who I'm becoming. I catch myself singing when I cross the back field, early in the mornings, to visit the cows. There's something inside me- a glad, bright feeling, fragile and lovely as a dew-spangled cobweb, and I'm terrified."- Evelyn
Jana
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was just beautiful and tragic and heartbreaking.

!!BIG Trigger Warning for depression and self-harm though!!

• Stowaway
  • A Grain of Rice
  • In the Key of Nira Ghani
  • Echo North
  • Only the Ocean
  • Damsel
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Surviving the City (Surviving the City, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • This Splintered Silence
  • No Fixed Address
  • Operatic
  • Grim Lovelies (Grim Lovelies, #1)
  • The Cold Is in Her Bones
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Warrior of the Wild
Laura Weymouth is a Canadian living in exile in America, and the sixth consecutive generation of her family to immigrate from one country to another. Born and raised in the Niagara region of Ontario, she now lives at the edge of the woods in western New York, along with her husband, two wild-hearted daughters, a spoiled cat, an old soul of a dog, and an indeterminate number of chickens. She is rep ...more

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of y...
“We sit for a long time without talking and watch the rain until our tea goes cold, and I am enormously, unspeakably glad to have found someone I can be silent with.” 10 likes
“This is, after all, my own peculiar magic--whatever circumstances I find myself in, I always land on my feet.” 6 likes