Start by marking “History Vs Women: The Defiant Lives That They Don't Want You to Know” as Want to Read:
History Vs Women: The Defiant Lives That They Don't Want You to Know

History Vs Women: The Defiant Lives That They Don't Want You to Know

Rebels, rulers, scientists, artists, warriors and villains
Women are, and have always been, all these things and more.

Looking through the ages and across the globe, Anita Sarkeesian, founder of Feminist Frequency, along with Ebony Adams PHD, have reclaimed the stories of twenty-five remarkable women who dared to defy history and change the world around them. From Mongolian
Published October 2nd 2018 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about History Vs Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History Vs Women

Artemis
Another exceptional book about forgotten and erased women in history to come out recently. Most needed and appreciated.

I especially loved learning about the Sikh hero Mai Bhago; the 19th-20th century transgender brothel madam Lucy Hicks Anderson; Mother of the Children and education and Al-Qarawiyin Fatima al-Fihri; the 18th century Qing Dynasty poet and astronomer Wang Zhenyi; the black human computer to help launch men into space Annie Easley; the ruthless and terrible Spanish queen Isabel I;
Crystal
A thoroughly enjoyable and very interesting addition to the plethora of books about notable women of history that have been published recently. There were multiple women featured in this book that I did not know about before, and found fascinating--rebels. athletes. artists. politicians. I was in awe of so many of their accomplishments, and the courage it must have taken to achieve them. My only complaint about the book is small--while the pencil drawings for each woman were absolutely gorgeous, ...more
Devann
Probably one of the best of these 'forgotten ladies of history' books that I've read, and I've read a lot of them! That being said, maybe only about 30-40% of the women featured here were completely new to me, but a lot of them still had new information and the portraits were absolutely gorgeous as well.

What I liked in particular about this book was that the author was not afraid to say that women can do things wrong. Most of these books try to twist the women's every action into being somethin
Brianne
This was such an enjoyable and informative read! I recommend it to one and all!
R
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very well written, well researched, beautifully illustrated book that highlighted twenty five remarkable women who were certainly defiant, but they were also women that made history with their dynamic exploits, especially in times when submissiveness was the norm. They defied the odds and made a name for themselves, and now thanks to the authors, their names and place in history will no longer be silent or ignored.

This is the type of book that should be in classrooms (14-18 age group
Mandy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was eh. I felt like I would either get too much information or not enough information about these epic ladies. Some categories were far more intriguing than others as well. I really liked the pictures included, but I just didn't find it as intriguing as I wanted since I wanted all the epic ladies killing it.
Suzanne
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
Tired of damsels in distress? Ready for some rebels, artists, scholars, amazons, and even villains? Then this is the book for you. Some of the women profiled within these pages may be familiar - Margaret Thatcher, Annie Easley - but others you have probably never heard of. How about Wang Zhenyi, a poet from the Qing Dynasty? She was born in 1768 and studied everything from astronomy to martial arts. In 1994 a crater on the planet Venus was named for her. "When you look into the night sky, seek o ...more
Adrianna Cooper
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is an opinion piece. Just wanted everyone to know that. If you want an author to shove their own personal opinions down your throat, then read this book.
Barbara
3.5 because I want to know so much more. This is a much-needed collection of stories about 25 different women who challenged the norm of their times. Although history has neglected them and the authors often had to rely on the little information that was available about them, the book brings them to life and makes readers wish to know more. Sadly, even in 2018, we still seem to celebrate a woman's looks and physical attributes or her connection to some other powerful figure than looking at her i ...more
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
To all the women whose stories were never told, whose songs were never sung, and whose works were never celebrated. May the knowledge of your lives stir up ambitious dreams in new generations of women who will never be forgotten.

This was a great selection of unknown women who I learned a little bit about while reading this book! I also really loved the illustration of them at the beginning of each of their stories, it really brought the person they were talking about to life.

I do appreciate that
Melissa
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was awesome, as it chronicled the lives of women throughout history who broke gender barriers across all manner of disciplines (from science to the arts to war and crime!) The illustrations were lovely, the stand out quotes were nice for those wishing to browse to find their favorites to read, but I found the descriptions of many of the women lacking - I wanted to know so much more! I get that some of the older ladies are hard to research, and I get that they were limited by space but I alm ...more
Ihar Hrachyshka
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
First, it's a book for kids so if you're an adult then you should probably look for some more involving material.

As to contents and style, preachy and shallow are the words. Perhaps a good way to read this book is to take the list of names of women covered and read their Wikipedia articles instead. But if you miss ideological hot takes and naive op-eds and don't expect learning much then I guess the book is fine. Otherwise, beware.
Julia
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
4.5 stars. I think this is a good starting place for learning about these awesome women. It didn't go into much depth on any of them- understandable with the format, and it could feel a bit preachy sometimes, but overall, pretty good.

I'm glad they included a villain section bc when I first got it and was flipping through, I saw the section on Margaret Thatcher and was just like, oh no...

Jill
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of profiles for young readers. The authors focus on lesser known women, mainly those of non-white heritage. I think many teens would find it inspiring to read these stories that are absent from mainstream educational curriculum.
Sam
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Nicolas Lontel
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Un autre panorama de femmes, 25 pour être exact, divisé en cinq sections soit: des femmes rebelles, érudites, vilaines, artistes et amazones.

Au nombre de panorama de femmes que je lis, je ne peut que noter ce qui m'apparaît comme distinct ou similaire aux autres du même genre. Généralement l'échantillon proposé (qu'il soit de 10 à 100 femmes) est toujours suffisamment original et c'est le cas de ce livre: c'est toujours un excellent signe quand je ne connais pas des femmes que les autrices prop
Sionna
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This is a harder review to write because the formatting and display of the e-ARC was mixed up in places. So, it is a little hard to determine my thoughts on the writing, but I still have a favorable opinion of this book.

This isn't the first women's history nonfiction I've read -- heck this is actually the 3rd this year. It has been a popular year for forgotten women of history. Yet, all three books have
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
History vs Women : The Defiant Lives that They Don't Want You to Know by Anita Sarkeesian & Ebony Adams, 137 pages. NON FICTION Feiwel and Friends (MacMillan Publishing Group) 2018. $20.

Language: G. (0 swears, 0 'f'); Mature Content: PG; Violence: G.

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

25 short biographies of women whose brave, amazing, socially defiant or remarkable lives are not part of the history books. Life stories have been recreated for rebels like Lucy Hicks A
Jamie Battaglia
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite women’s anthology. There have been so many books coming out highlighting small bios of heroic women—and I am TOTALLY here for it—but they often repeat the same women over and over. In this anthology, out of the 25 women highlighted, I only recognized a couple. I learned so much about women all over the world rather than just here in the US. I can tell there was so much research done to write this book, and as the reader, I am so grateful.

Additionally, the other women’s antholo
Cy
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
lots of great women represented in here! definitely more of a starting place, but it isn't trying to be any more than that. this just introduces you to these women, and then you can branch out and learn more on your own. it's a pretty quick read. the chapters are short, so they keep you moving along. the language was a little flowery in parts, but that might appeal to the targeted age range. the illustrations are really beautiful!!

there was a good mix of women of a variety of races and backgroun
Sareene
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short introduction to historical women I had never heard of and I'm sure many others have not either. I especially appreciate that Sarkeesian and Adams focused heavily on non-Western women, because even as feminist scholars unearth the works of women long forgotten, many inevitably focus on Western women. That can be because of resources available or the scholars' own limitations as they do their research (funding, travel, etc.) Sarkeesian and Adams don't pretend to be academic scholar ...more
Lola
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As someone who follows Feminist Frequency's work, I was excited to see Anita and Ebony had this book coming out. I preordered it immediately and knew I would enjoy it. I wasn't wrong.

History vs Women was my night book for about a week; it is not a book that will take up much of your time. The chapters are relatively short, each covering five women with each entry about two pages or more. The writing is informative while also maintain a critical feminist lens on the women covered and how we st
Lynndell
Interesting read!
Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan Feiwel and Friends for the opportunity to read and review History vs Women: The Defiant Lives That They Don’t Want You To Know by Anita Sarkeesian and Ebony Adams!
The chapter titles are Reckless Rebels, Revelatory Scholars, Ruthless Villains, Restless Artists, and Relentless Amazons! The chapter titles made me even more interested in the book! The introduction got me hyped up by a few historical facts about women, such as a Japanese woman invent
Alba
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perhaps it was my own excitement pre-release the reason why I was a bit disappointed by this book.

I preordered it as soon as I could since I have followed Sarkeesian's steps for a long time now and got to know about Adams through a podcast they both host (with another equally brilliant woman).
I expected the book to be thorough but this is more of a coffee table book.
The illustrations are gorgeous and it is at its core a very necessary book but it lacked depth to me. I also found the selection
Alicia
What I love is that this collective biography of women in history is about all women- the villains and the pickpockets alongside the writers of the first novel and pirates, the women who ruled entire kingdoms and those that rode motorcycles.

Just like many in this category, the biographies are several pages long, usually include an illustration as well as a highlighted quote or two attributed to them or spoken about them.

Vivid colors and fabulous illustrations are artistic as they are factual a
Erikka
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic, and extremely well organized, glimpse into the lives of 15 amazing and diverse women from history. There's nothing I can say about this book that isn't said 10x more eloquently within its own pages, so I won't try. Just read it, have your girls read it, and especially have your boys read it.

A side note on one of the women, artist Artemesia Gentilleschi. If you find her story interesting, read the novel in verse "Blood Water Paint", a lovely story that gives a voice to a fo
Isabelle
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4star-5star, n-fic
There are other books in the world like this one, and the only reason I read this one and not the others is that I saw it in the school library right before I finished my old book. I believe Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls is another book like this. This one is aimed less at elementary and younger kids and more at middle and high school girls.

One of my classmates saw me reading this, and said "I don't who's going to win; they're both big, powerful forces." Sadly, it appears history has alrea
Amanda
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've greatly appreciated the wave of historical women bio anthologies that have come out recently, and History vs. Women is another satisfying entry in that genre. While some of the women featured were familiar to me due to reading other women's history anthologies a good number of them were not and have inspired me to learn more about their lives outside of these pages. Highly recommended!

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.
Shimona Hirchberg
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Minus 1 star for inaccessible design (hard fonts to read, black text on a blue background with blue lines...)

Also not sure who the audience is. The design/layout/binding type seems like an illustrated book for younger readers but some of the words used are sophisticated amd advanced.

Missed opportunity... the content is great for kids (and all ages).
Amazing diverse women
I wanted more (to see examples of the work summarized)!
KTC
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
I just finished reading, History vs. Women: The Defiant Lives that They Don't Want You to Know, by Anita Sarkeesian and Ebony Adams. From the first page to the last, women whom I had never heard were revealed to me. These women's fascinating lives and amazing accomplishments kept me riveted. Even though I “knew” some of these women from previous study, e.g. Ida B. Wells, Hypatia, and Maria Tallchief, there was so much that I didn't know about them.…more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Fly Girls: The Forgotten Women Airforce Service Pilots of WWII
  • Roses and Radicals: The Epic Story of How American Women Won the Right to Vote
  • Attucks!: Oscar Robertson and the Basketball Team That Awakened a City
  • What Would She Do?: 25 True Stories of Trailblazing Rebel Women: 25 True Stories of Trailblazing Rebel Women
  • Little Dreamers: Visionary Women Around the World
  • Breakthrough!: How Three People Saved "Blue Babies" and Changed Medicine Forever
  • The Plot to Kill Hitler: Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Spy, Unlikely Hero
  • Just Mercy (Adapted for Young Adults): A True Story of the Fight for Justice
  • Rad Girls Can: Stories of Bold, Brave, and Brilliant Young Women
  • Nevertheless, We Persisted: 48 Voices of Defiance, Strength, and Courage
  • Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles
  • Women Heroes of the American Revolution: 20 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Defiance, and Rescue
  • Legendary Ladies: 50 Goddesses to Empower and Inspire You (Goddess Women Throughout History to Inspire Women, Book of Goddesses with Goddess Art)
Anita Sarkeesian is an award-winning media critic and the creator and executive director of Feminist Frequency, an educational nonprofit that explores the representations of women in pop culture narratives.Best known as the creator and host of Feminist Frequency’s highly influential series Tropes vs. Women in Video Games, Anita lectures at universities, conferences and game development studios aro ...more