Start by marking “Swift Vengeance” as Want to Read:
Swift Vengeance

Swift Vengeance

(Roland Ford #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In this incendiary new thriller from three-time Edgar Award winner and New York Times bestselling author T. Jefferson Parker, Roland Ford is hunting down a mysterious killer, jockeying for position with the FBI, and risking everything to save a friend in terrible jeopardy.

Returning hero and private investigator Roland Ford is on the trail of a mysterious killer who is behe
Audio CD
Published August 21st 2018 by Penguin Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Swift Vengeance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swift Vengeance

DP Lyle
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roland Ford is back. In this follow up to THE ROOM OF WHITE FIRE, T. Jefferson Parker hits it out of the park. Two US drone pilots have been brutally murdered and beheaded by someone known only as Caliphornia. And a third, Lindsey Rakes, is now in his sights. Ford must protect her, while tracking down the secretive and clever killer. Once again he teams with FBI Special Agent Joan Taucher and they break more than a few rules to further their pursuit. The twists and turns are many, the ending exp ...more
Steve
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading a wonderful book by one of my favorite mystery authors, Jefferson Parker. Swift Vengeance has everything. Roland Ford is a P. I. in San Diego, California. Lindsay Rakes is a retired Air Force drone operator whose team killed a suspected terrorist along with nine civilians. The civilians killed were not terrorists and therein lies the problem and the plot of this tremendously exciting and well written novel. Along the way our hero Roland Ford teams up with a truly dedicat ...more
Barbara
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm halfway through an Advance Readers Copy and loved it from the start. Somehow reminds me of Parker's earlier novels. Moody. Poignant. Painful. Maybe I'll be able to make more sense when I've finished it.

A few days later...finished and continued to love it. Loved the last paragraph, too. Yay, Jeff!
Elizabeth George
Overall, I liked this book. No one has a better sense of place in Southern California than Jeff Parker. No matter where he places his books, his rendering of setting is second to none. I know because if you put a gun to my head and told me to do a memorable SoCal setting, I wouldn't be able to oblige you. Jeff's writing is described as "muscular" and I think this fits. This is a man's book in which the main character is...very manly. It's a man's book more than a woman's book. Great gift for the ...more
Lesa
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought T. Jefferson Parker's second novel featuring PI Roland Ford was terrific. Swift Vengeance is a fast-paced story that is all too plausible. This was my first one of Parker's books, so I can't compare them to earlier ones. I found the characters well-developed, a little quirky, and fascinating. It was a page turner.

Ford first met Lindsey Rakes in a casino when the drone operator for the Air Force was a heavy drinker and gambler, trying to escape her day job. Two and a half years later, w
Donna
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Private investigator Roland Ford allows his friend Lindsey Rakes to move into a casita on his property when she receives a threatening letter. Lindsey is a former Air Force drone operator who ran missions overseas resulting in the deaths of terrorists as well as a few civilians that couldn't be avoided. Roland enlists the aid of dedicated FBI agent Joan Taucher when some of his suspects are persons of interest to the FBI. When two of Lindsey's comrades and fellow drone pilots are beheaded, Rolan ...more
Ann
Roland Ford is back, the San Diego private eye is asked to help a friend navigate an investigation into the terror threat she received. Both former military with baggage and determination; this is a fast paced thriller.
Eve
4.5 stars. This is a high quality well written book with sharp writing, vivid imagery, tight plotting and engaging characters. The author uses the landscape beautifully and I really love the idea of the Southern California complex where Roland Ford, the MC, lives and acts as a laid back landlord to his eclectic troup of tenants. This is the second book of the series, I think, and I didn't read the first one, but I'm gonna go and do that now. :)
Darcy
With this book Roland comes to the aid of a friend and things quickly escalate. Quickly Roland realizes that Lindsay is in real trouble, the kind of trouble that the FBI helps and he enlists a woman he has worked with before, Joan. The 3 of them manage to figure things out, find out who the bad guy is and what is planned, but not before some of those plans are enacted causing some big fallout.

The best moments in this one are the quiet moments between Joan and Roland, talking about the case and l
Dan Downing
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you read a book that will not let you go in a reasonable amount of time, and to which you return as soon as possible regardless of what you are neglecting, then you by definition have yourself a 5 Star story. Exactly how T. Jefferson Parker works his magic remains, if not a mystery, then certainly well concealed. Plenty of authors write better, and many create more intriguing characters. California, full as it is of delightful people, avoids being anything close to an exotic locale. We are ...more
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
The characters in T. Jefferson Parker’s SWIFT VENGEANCE are finely limned, and the complex narrative unfolds into a real and timely page turner.

Former law enforcement officer Roland Ford is the main character and a formidable private investigator who also spent time in the Middle East as a member of the Air Force. He owns a house that has casitas on the property, which he rents to people who become very loyal to him.

One of them is Lindsey Rakes, a drone pilot who was responsible for killing Midd
Barb Lie
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swift Vengeance by T. Jefferson Parker is an exciting pulse-pounding thriller. This is my first time reading Parker, who is a three times Edgar award winning author.

Roland Ford, our hero, is a private investigator and former marine. Roland finds himself in the middle of helping a friend in danger. His friend Lindsay, a former CIA drone operator, has received a note threatening to behead her. When two former members of the drone team were brutally murdered and beheaded, Roland must try to discove
Kathleen Gray
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced thriller with a very topical plot line. This is the second in a new series and it's a winner. Roland Ford finds himself working with Joan Taucher, a kick-butt FBI SA, to protect not only his friend Lindsay but others who work or work in the drone program. Set aside politics and think of the people killed by Caliphornia. The accessibility of information about individuals on the internet makes the possibility of this type of terroristic serial killing very possible. Ford's a great cha ...more
Donald B. Stewart
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying story, heavy on process, relationships, and internal dialogue, all of which I happen to like. The writer's style is fluid and easy to follow. I remember reading a few pages and wondering when he was going to get past the preliminary stage-setting, and get to the whiz-bang guts of a traditional whodunit - only to discover that I was already past page 50, and thoroughly caught up in the process, feeling like a member of the detective's patchwork family. Good story, well told, with ple ...more
Peggy Kincaid
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story. I love Roland Ford and his crew. I live in the same general area as the storyline so it resonates with me. I would love to live in one of those imaginary casitas. What a cast of characters as well. This plotline was terrifying and kept me listening right up to the last page. I hope the author is going to write about Roland again but it has generated an interest in me to read his previous books. Ending brought tears to my eyes in relief, sadness and happiness all at once for v ...more
Diane
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
T. Jefferson Parker usually writes a good book. I'd say this one is maybe in the middle, not the best, not the worst. We pick back up with Roland Ford, private investigator, former Marine along with his motley crew of tenants. An old friend Lindsay Rakes, has had her life threatened. She was a drone operator in the military. So Roland steps in to help her find out the who and why her life is being threatened.
Mary Ann
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Excellent thriller. Swift Vengeance by T. Jefferson Parker is a well written book with an engaging protagonist in Roland Ford who is the landlord to a sundry group of interesting tenants. The setting of Southern California works extremely well for the housing complex that Ford manages. Now I need to go check out more of Parker'a books. Recommend. My rating is 4.5.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ The first time I saw Lindsey Rakes she was burning down the high-stakes room in the Pala Casino north of San Diego.

Such a great read with a dynamic story line, characters and plot. You will be pulled into this story and will find it realistic and heart pounding. It will have you marveling in the rich story and loving all the fast paced action.
Mac MacChlerie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from Parker

T. Jefferson Parker puts out the best thrillers on the literary world. You can always count on a great story line and always in the back of your head you're hoping that the good guys make it out unscathed.

But sometimes it's one of the subjects you gave up on that shows up in the end.
Mark O'Toole
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roland Ford is Parker's social justice PI, I guess. The first book dealt with military PTSD and this one with religious fanaticism and war. Good stories, good, offbeat characters though not the strongest plotting. Parker used to write intricately detailed novels, now they are more like character studies.
Daniel Ford
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
T. Jefferson Parker’s hero Roland Ford returns to the page in the brand new Sweet Vengeance. As always, Parker gives us a fun, action-packed thriller, but he also delves into timely big ideas that make you think long after the dust has settled.
David Morgan
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fast reader but I read this book in 2 days. I really enjoyed the taught suspense with a few twists and turns that propelled the story. IMHO I think this Roland Ford story was at least as good as the first if not better. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys an engrossing thriller.
Barbara White
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swift Vengeance is a fantastic read. I couldn't put the book down as I was intrigued from beginning to end. I felt as though I personally knew the characters. Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for a copy of this amazing book. I look forward to the next.
Jenna
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written, fast paced thriller with an interesting take on the private/public cop dialectic. Plausible and timely both in plot and, for lack of a better word, morality. I’m off to find other books by this author.
Cheryl
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Would definitely read another. Different philosophy than some writers in this genre. I appreciate the fresh perspective. Engaging!
Linda Haas
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very suspenseful with a number of fun quirky characters. It also was interesting in explaining about drones in the military. I enjoyed reading this book.
Lisa
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome new book by T Jeff! It’s explosive and powerful and very real to what is going on in our country. I was swept away from the first page
Lou
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book with lots of action but at times belabored the connection between the Headhunters and the terrorists they were seeking.
Chuck
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First one by this author but definitely not the last!
Enjoyed the fast paced believable story line.
Vicki
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read!

This book was so well written and engaging. I live in Fallbrook too so that was special. I’m a fan of all his books but this might be my favorite.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California

Roland Ford (2 books)
  • The Room of White Fire (Roland Ford #1)