Start by marking “Darius the Great Is Not Okay” as Want to Read:
Darius the Great Is Not Okay

Darius the Great Is Not Okay

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  5,642 ratings  ·  1,481 reviews
Darius doesn't think he'll ever be enough, in America or in Iran.

Published August 28th 2018 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Darius the Great Is Not Okay, please sign up.
Elyse
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  5,642 ratings  ·  1,481 reviews

شيماء ✨
So who else read this title and immediately thought “big mood”? also, am I the only one getting so many Ari & Dante vibes from this book??
Kai
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt, favorites, 2018, owned
"Suicide isn't the only way you can lose someone to depression."

Darius the Great Is Not Okay and neither am I.

I will rave about this book. A lot. I have so many good things to say about it that I need to gather my thoughts before I can write a coherent review. This book took my heart by storm. It made me sad and happy and also very hungry.
When I started this book, I knew that I would get emotional. With some books, you just know. The tension started building up and I could feel the tears prickin
may ➹
“It’s okay not to be okay.”

The first thing you should know about Darius the Great is Not Okay is that it actually made me cry (which doesn’t happen frequently). It was hilarious, and heartbreaking, and gorgeous. I saw so much of myself in Darius, and each time I put the book down I just wanted to pick it back up and read more.

This book is about a boy named Darius, who has never really been in touch with his Persian identity until visiting Iran—and his family—for the first time. It’s about fa
Larry H
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

What an enjoyable, sweet, and special book!

"What kind of name is Darius Grover Kellner? It was like I was destined to be a target."

Darius Kellner calls himself a "Fractional Persian"—his mother is Persian, and he refers to his blonde, Teutonic father as the Übermensch. But he feels like he doesn't quite fit into either world. He looks like his mother but never really learned to speak Farsi (although his younger sister did), and while he and his father share a love of Star
Lola
I used to believe that the first chapters of a story set the tone for the whole book, but DARIUS THE GREAT IS NOT OKAY proved me wrong.

See, I had trouble picturing the events happening in the first twenty or so pages. I couldn’t picture the characters, settings or figure out the relationships between people. But the more I read, the better it got and this is not something I get to say very often.

This book quickly escaladed from a DNF to a three-star-rating to a deserved four-star-rating. Darius
C.G. Drews
Oh this was so good. I got so into it that if anyone had asked me what I was doing this weekend, I would've been fully like: "Yes I am just in Iran with Darius this weekend how about you." It was so easy to feel in the story. Darius is biracial Persian/American and since he's visiting Iran for the first time (and he doesn't speak farsi) he so often felt lost and outside and like he didn't truly belong. So explained the culture and the holidays as he went and it was so easy to be swept up in expl ...more
Thomas
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

A solid YA novel I would recommend to fans of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda . Darius the Great Is Not Okay did not blow me away, but I appreciated several parts of it, in particular its emphasis on Persian/Iranian culture, its careful portrayal of depression, and its focus on friendship. With the awful current political climate, Adib Khorram's rendering of Iran felt like a much needed respite from the racist and problematic images we receive from mainstream media. Khorram's depicti
Katie B
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Darius Kellner is what he likes to call a Fractional Persian as his mother was born and raised in Iran but his dad is white. Although he has a nightly ritual of watching Star Trek reruns with his father, the rest of the time Darius feels like he is a big disappointment to his dad. The family makes a trip to Iran to visit relatives and there Darius meets Sohrab, the teenage neighbor of his grandparents. This is a YA story of feeling like you don't belong and learning to accept who you are.

I reall
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW OKAY I liked this a heckin’ ton. This is the first book I’ve ever read with an Iranian mc and I learned so many things about the culture that I never knew before! It was also just really well written and I will without a doubt read everything Khorram publishes in the future. So good!
Em Lost In Books
I used to stay away from YA but this year it's a different story. I have read many YA books this year, so I can safely says that I am not averse this genre as I used to be 2-3 years ago. I saw this book making rounds on my GR home page repeatedly and one fine Saturday I caved in and started reading this. I have to confess, to me blurb without "Iran" is the avg blurb that I read for this genre.

This story revolves around Darius who is on his first visit to Iran to visit his ailing maternal grand
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

There are no bells and whistles for this one. Some books don’t need them. Darius the Great Is Not Okay is the story of a young boy who takes a trip to Iran with his family when they discover his grandfather is terminally ill. It’s about finding a place in the world when you feel like you’re nothing but a social outcast. More importantly, it’s about clinical depression. And it is DONE. SO. WELL. You can tell the author struggles/has str
abby
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Darius Kellner isn't sure he fits in anywhere. At school, he's the Fractional Persian, the kid who sticks out as being just a bit different. At home, he struggles to connect with his dad, who is Zero Persian but rather a blond Teutonic ideal. He doesn't speak Farsi like his mom and little sister. Even the way he makes tea seems called into question.

But when his grandfather is diagnosed with a brain tumor, Darius is thrown into his most fish-out-of-water situation yet: Iran. He is in a country wh
Vitor Martins
Essa é a história de um garoto metade americano, metade persa, viajando para o Irã com a família pela primeira vez para conhecer os seus avós. Lá ele confronta muito a sua auto percepção e pela primeira vez na vida sente que pertence a uma família.

Eu jamais imaginaria que eu me identificaria TANTO com o Darius. Em diversas cenas eu tinha quase certeza que eu SOU o Darius. E isso acontece porque ele é um personagem real, e personagens reais são aqueles que fogem do seu plot e se apresentam para
✨    jamieson   ✨
I liked this a lot, my rating is somewhere between a 3 and 4 star I'm still deciding.

The focus on friendship and anxieties around culture/diaspora was really interesting. I've never read a book set in Iran so that element had me so interested throughout. The depression rep is also GREAT. Just overall great rep here. (This is ownvoices Persian & depression rep I believe)

The only thing I didn't LOVE was that I thought the characters could have been more fleshed out, especially Sohrab and Lale
Corey
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Corey by: Mel
As I've gotten older, I've developed a curiosity about/longing for connection to my Persian heritage that I didn't have as a younger person. I couldn't tell you where exactly this sudden interest came from, but I have lately found myself following the news about Iran, and asking my grandparents about the old country, and, of course, reading a lot of novels by Iranian-American authors.

What I'm trying to say, in short, is that I was primed to like this book. I'd heard about it months ago, when th
Lily ☁️
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lily ☁️ by: Malanie
Malanie said that this book reminds her of me, because it is “friendship, cleverness, and fluffy wholesomeness, which = Lily’s vibe”, so you bet I’m going to read it!!

And if I don’t love this, I might as well crawl into a dark hole somewhere far away from civilization, where no one can find me (which incidentally suits me just fine, because uni starts next week).

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Rachel Strolle
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been longer than normal since I've read a book in one sitting. And god, this one is certainly a one-sitting read. Filled to the brim with heart, Khorram's debut shines on every single page. It made me laugh and cry within one scene. This was my most anticipated 2018 release and it was so worthy of that.
Romie
“You're okay,” he murmured.
“No. I'm not.”
“I know.” He rubbed my back up and down. “It's okay not to be okay.”

I was a bit scared going into this book, because what if I ended up being the only human being not liking it? But, fortunately for me, I ended up really liking this beautiful story.

It's a story that deals with so many important subjects: friendship, grief, clinical depression, the feeling of not belonging or being enough, and love between a father and son who don't really know how to talk
Inge

Took me a second to get into, but god, that depression rep was in-credible.
Eloise
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Aristotle and Dante
This was absolutely not what I thought it would be... But it doesn't mean it was bad (I think?).

For some reason I picked it up thinking it would be an m/m romance. It isn't.
And I am stating this straight away because I was led to believe it was, and i felt almost disappointed when some phrases were suggesting queerness but it was never stated as such. I don't want you to be disappointed. I don't want you going in to this book expecting boys falling in love. That's not what this is about.

This is
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-me

“It’s okay not to be okay.”

Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram gives readers a look into a world rarely seen in YA fiction. A world I really enjoyed learning about. Persian culture is the star of this book. Foods, stories, traditions, social cues, places, and more all come to life through the eyes of young Darius.

Darius (Darioush) Kellner, who is half Persian on his mother’s side, is visiting Iran for the first time in his life. His grandfather (Babou) is sick, so the family sets off fo
Kate (GirlReading)
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, understated story of identity and all its different facets. I have no doubt this book will stick with me for a very long time to come.

TW: Racism, discussion of weight and diet, fatphobia, depression, discussion of suicide, body shaming
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dahlia
It took me a little while to get into the writing, which is very fourth-wall breaking, but at some point, about the main character's vulnerability and the deep love for the setting and getting to see Iran in a different light from the usual portrayals and the incredible depression rep and the wonderful friendship, I just found myself utterly beguiled. In case you can't tell, this debut has a lot going for it, including the way it just dips its toe into the main character questioning his sexualit ...more
Kiera
5 stars.

Summary from Goodreads

Darius Kellner speaks better Klingon than Farsi, and he knows more about Hobbit social cues than Persian ones. He's about to take his first-ever trip to Iran, and it's pretty overwhelming--especially when he's also dealing with clinical depression, a disapproving dad, and a chronically anemic social life. In Iran, he gets to know his ailing but still formidable grandfather, his loving grandmother, and the rest of his mom's family for the first time. And he meets Soh
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I received this ARC from Dial Books via BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion in any way.

"It's okay not to be okay."

Okay, so this was strangely really relevant to my entire life. And to my family reunion vacation I was on as I read this. Creepy.

Thing number one: Darius is a Fractional Persian who doesn't speak Farsi and goes to Iran for the first time. I'm half Chilean, have never been to Chile, and don't speak Spanish.

Thing number two: Darius struggles w
mina reads™️
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a super solid YA contemporary and I really enjoyed it. It deals with mental health, cultural identity, toxic masculinity and complex relationships between family members. If you’d be interested in seeing more of my thoughts check out my latest video where I do a full review!!

Saajid Hosein
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. Very slow, and character driven, so if that's not your thing then I'd give it a pass, but shit - the tears were real.
Vicky Who Reads
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, wishlist

This book did not let me down at all.

I've been so excited for Darius the Great Is Not Okay for longer than I can remember, and this turned out to be just as stellar as I thought it would be!

I mean, one of the greatest things about this book is that Khorram knows his writing style & what Darius' voice sounds like, and he isn't afraid to use it. Darius is such a unique protagonist and you can tell when he speaks just by his dialogue and how he says things.

Darius is nerdy and awkward a
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Here it is, friends. My 4th five-star rating of 2018: Darius the Great Is Not Okay.

Darius the Great Is Not Okay made me cry on the bus and, given its raw and poignant writing, I am not even ashamed of it.

- Follows biracial teen Darius, who goes to Iran to visit family he has never met before, and is about how he navigates his unfamiliar family landscape and his friendship with a boy named Sohrab.
- It explores three things that I absolutely love: our bonds with people, identity, and mental health
Mock Printz 2020: September: Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram 8 114 Nov 18, 2018 06:05PM

• We Are All That's Left
  • Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • Girl Rising: Changing the World One Girl at a Time
  • Playing a Part
Adib Khorram is an author, a graphic designer, and a tea enthusiast. If he's not writing (or at his day job), you can probably find him trying to get his 100 yard Freestyle under a minute, or learning to do a Lutz Jump. He lives in Kansas City, Missouri, where people don't usually talk about themselves in the third person. You can find him on Twitter (@adibkhorram), Instagram (@adibkhorram), or on ...more
“Everyone wants you here. We have a saying in Farsi. It translates ‘your place was empty.’ We say it when we miss somebody."
I sniffed.
"Your place was empty before. But this is your family. You belong here.”
26 likes
“The thing is, I never had a friend like Sohrab before. One who understood me without even trying. Who knew what it was like to be stuck on the outside because of one little thing that set you apart.” 7 likes