Start by marking “Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal” as Want to Read:
Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal

Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal

An instructive guide to creating an illustrated journal based on artist and Instagram sensation Samantha Dion Baker's unique creative process, featuring information on materials, creative inspiration and instruction, prompts, and helpful tips and tricks.

Samantha Dion Baker is a widely admired and followed artist on Instagram, where she shares her "sketch journal," an i
Published August 28th 2018 by Watson-Guptill

To ask other readers questions about Draw Your Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Draw Your Day

Start your review of Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal
Manuel Antão
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Daily Routine: "Draw Your Day - An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal" by Samantha Dion Baker

I’ve always wondered how long it takes to create a habit. I'm learning sketching and committed to 4 hours a day. Many days later I've only missed one day. I'd say the habit was established by about that amount of days. I picked up running 30 years ago and I reckon it took 10 weeks before I was feeling the full benefits and felt like I
Bry
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art, crafts, 2018
I have been following Samatha Dion Baker on instagram for quite a while and love her journal pages and the glimpses into her creative day. So when this book came out I knew I had to have it and it is lovely! The book itself is a great size with thick, creamy paper that feels wonderful. The content is less a how to and more an engaging pep talk on how to get started with lots of images from her own sketchbooks to serve as examples and inspiration. The writing is open and down to earth and is quit ...more
Huyen Pham
#popsugar2020
30. A book that has a book on the cover

I decided to read this book because I wanted to learn to sketch from a long time ago but I haven't found a class for beginners and I'm just too lazy to learn it myself from videos on YouTube. This book is ideal for those who can draw and just want to find inspiration or want to start a sketch bullet journal. For those who know nothing about drawing like me, I wouldn't recommend it. I think I'll move to another book for beginners then come back
Shannon
This was a bit of a random pick while browsing art books on Overdrive from the library. It was interesting to read about visual journalling/sketch journaling in a post-Instagram world (I was not familiar with the author when I went into this).

Lots of great advice, and I feel like this is one that it's about finding the person who speaks to you as a lot of the advice is the same advice in a lot of other books. Everyday Matters by Danny Gregory comes to mind. I love reading books like this and I
Lastoadri
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best art books I read in a long time. I feel jealous of Samantha's amazing style of capturing her days. So tranquil and unique. I wish I can find my own style too.. I'll return again to this one soon.
Elizabeth A
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, 2020, non-fiction
What this book is about is clearly defined by the title. I've followed the author's Instagram for a couple of years, and find her artwork inspiring. This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I enjoying flipping through her lovely illustrated journal pages, but the text and how to wasn't as inspiring as I'd expected. This isn't a book I'd recommend for beginners, but if you already keep a journal and want some inspiration, you might like it too.
Kym
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an inspiring how-to manual for creating and maintaining a sketch journal. The author shares her own strategies and daily process for art journaling. The examples are plentiful and varied, and the narrative is well organized and informative.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in developing a daily sketching practice.
Em
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drawing
The pictures are really pretty, and the book contains a lot of ideas of what to draw in a daily journal, even when your days seem similar or uninteresting.
Leah
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful artwork with a little practical guidance at the very end.
Eunice Abenis
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
What was inspiring for me were the illustrations, not the narrative, but I think they were few. I still had to check out Samantha Dion Baker's Instagram for more. I love her style though. She's a pro but her works are warm and friendly.
Devin
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These are two really great books that I bought before I found out we wouldn’t be in school until April 13 so I am extra happy I purchased them. When I read books like these, I realize that I’m not as nutty as I often feel.
Samantha Dion Baker’s Draw Your Day and Austin Kleon’s Keep Going are very similar but also different.
Both artists would agree that you have to put in the art time and have a schedule. Kleon suggests building a “bliss station.” Dion Baker has one, too, but doesn’t name it thi
Kelly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was drawn (no pun intended) to Samantha Dion Baker's story. She recounts in the intro how she began to incorporate drawings in her daily journal and then began posting the results on Instagram. I love when people find ways to redeem social media in creative and purposeful ways. Baker's book is not an instruction manual but it does describe the tools needed and more importantly gives you the freedom to draw the ordinary. Many people will have more talent than I have and they can better bring th ...more
Anne
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I have never been able to keep an actual journal, because there are so many other things I write in an average day. But since I was little, I've loved sketching random things. I've gotten away from it in recent years, and I got this book in hopes of getting back into it. While it's a pretty book with lovely art, it didn't really say anything helpful. For example, learning different techniques to draw, like sketching and water coloring. It's more of a self-help book, whose main message is to, "Ju ...more
EJ
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was discouraged by a mean-spirited person so many years ago that it's taken me 25 years to come back to creating art. Most recently, I've begun dabbling in doodling, drawing, and watercolor. Like others, I also started following the author on Instagram and am inspired to take on a daily practice of drawing my day. Taking pleasure in the everyday is an indulgence I can savor. This book is open-hearted and encouraging. I recommend it to anyone with even the slightest inkling of drawing. Start yo ...more
Anne
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty book

Heavy on the why and what of an everyday journal and very little how. Not a book to instruct, but perhaps to inspire. I would estimate that two thirds of the pages are used to display her own journal sketches. Her sketches are lovely and lively, so I enjoyed the book but I don't see it as a reference for journaling. I read in hopes of finding method tips to note in my journal of the how. I found few tips in this book and none that I hadn't read of in greater detail elsewhere. It is
Kris
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a beautiful book filled with a lot of inspiration. The author guides the reader through the benefits of a drawing practice, the tools to use, inspiration for your journal, i.e. ideas for drawing. She also provides an insight into her three-step process. All of this is great. I would have loved to see just a paragraph or two on how the author designs her illustrative pages - where she decides to put the elements she's documenting on the page. Otherwise, this is a great book to have in you ...more
Shasta Matova
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
This book gives you ideas about how you can draw pictures to journal your day. Adding pictures to a journal can help it look better and not be boring, especially for a "normal" day when nothing much happened. She gives you a lot of ideas about drawing ordinary things that make it look more interesting. She has provided a lot of her journal pages as inspiration and example for how to use ordinary things to make extraordinary pages.
Hmy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Inspirational. Original. Joyous. I'm not much of an artist but this book has made me believe I could create a sketch journal. The illustrations are beautiful and the text covers everything a beginner needs from practical suggestions (pens, paper etc) to inspirational quotes and encouraging prompts. I loved reading it, soaking up the lovely drawings and thinking that perhaps I could do something like this. A little masterpiece.
Wenqi
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Samantha Dion Baker is such an inspiration. She had convinced me to start a sketch journal just by her book cover and title.

I've already started two pages of my sketch journal by the time I finished this book. The process is so calming and I look forward to drawing my day. It also makes me more mindful of my surroundings to look for things to fill in my journal.

I'll keep this book as a reference and constantly look for inspiration in it.
Jelena In-Wonderland
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enrolled in Samantha's amazing Skillshare class which encouraged me to put my own watercolor practice to use. Only after some time I discovered she published this gorgeous book! It makes sketch journaling easy and accessible and offers Samantha's lush and graphically satisfying pages depicting everyday situations, objects, animals or maybe a traveling souvenir in the form of a landscape or local fruit. Definitely check this one out if you're into art journaling.
Rebecca Schwarz
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Inspiring book with lots of lovely journal pages for inspiration. This is a little different from Urban sketching as the pages are more planned. The only thing I wished for was to know how the author approached gathering images for drawing later. A couple times she mentions taking reference photos, but that didn't satisfy my curiosity about who she goes about capturing the images she puts in our sketch journal.
Carla
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. It isn’t how to draw things but what to draw.
Samantha explains very well her creative process and shares very useful tips and constantly remembers us that the way she does it isn’t the only way and we should follow what suits us best.
For me it as a beginner at drawing it was perfect!
Marco Tello
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Good book for those who want to start a sketch journal.

I read this book to help myself rediscover the joy of drawing. In this book you will find a guide for keeping a sketch journal . You will find it helpful for choosing materials,getting inspiration and drawing different styles. If you want to start drawing you will like this book.
Kathleen
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
My daughter received this book as a Christmas gift and when I picked it up to look through, I didn’t expect to read the entire thing in one sitting. It’s a lovely book full of ideas about sketch journaling. The author includes several of her own pages to show what she’s talking about. I think this book can be a great springboard into sketch journaling.
Meagan Guild
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an in depth look behind the process of Samantha’s style of sketch journaling. She does a great job of balancing the how to aspect with teaching the reader how to develop their ways of finding inspiration in the world around them. This book is definitely a must have!
Sailor
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book just got me so excited about drawing! It’s something I used to do a lot growing up, but that I haven’t really done in years. After reading this, I opened my journal and started some sketching immediately! It gives great ideas to start a sketch or art journal.
Sherry
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I'll enjoy this book more and take more away from it once I actually know how to draw. It was nice to see the illustrations, but my drawing skills are nowhere near the place they would need to be to do this.
Kimberly Ann Craige
Inspiring

The author inspires with her obvious love of art journaling! This book is filled with examples of her delightful pages, and thoughts about how anyone can create their own unique life books. I’m excited to fill mine!
Flo
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's an inspiring book. It has so many examples and practical ways to encourage us to start drawing.
And I do believe it's practice that makes us better.
What I love about journalling is that it takes the pressure off the result.
You choose if you will show your page to anyone or not.
Solenn
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable little book about drawing the little nothings of daily life. I really like the artist’s style. This is not a book to learn how to draw, but this is a book which will convince you to give it a go, and start documenting your life.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dare to Sketch: A Guide to Drawing on the Go
  • Art Before Breakfast: A Zillion Ways to be More Creative No Matter How Busy You Are
  • Botanical Line Drawing: 200 Step-by-Step Flowers, Leaves, Cacti, Succulents, and Other Items Found in Nature
  • Urban Watercolor Sketching: A Guide to Drawing, Painting, and Storytelling in Color
  • The Urban Sketcher: Techniques for Seeing and Drawing on Location
  • Sketch Now, Think Later: Jump into Urban Sketching with Limited Time, Tools, and Techniques
  • The Joy of Watercolor: 40 Happy Lessons for Painting the World Around You
  • Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic
  • Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling
  • 50 Ways to Draw Your Beautiful, Ordinary Life: Practical Lessons in Pencil and Paper
  • Art Starts with a Line: A creative and interactive guide to the art of line drawing
  • Sketch!: The Non-Artist's Guide to Inspiration, Technique, and Drawing Daily Life
  • Modern Drawing: A contemporary exploration of drawing and illustration (Modern Series)
  • Creative Watercolor: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners--Create with Paints, Inks, Markers, Glitter, and More! (Art for Modern Makers)
  • Everyday Watercolor: Learn to Paint Watercolor in 30 Days
  • The Art of Creative Watercolor: Inspiration and Techniques for Imaginative Drawing and Painting
  • Freehand: Sketching Tips and Tricks Drawn from Art
  • Everyday Sketching and Drawing: Learn the Five-Step Technique to Illustrating Your Life

News & Interviews