Start by marking “The Tracker” as Want to Read:

The Tracker

Taylor is being hunted. A sinister shadow trails him playing a game of hide and seek. If Taylor is caught, a cruel death awaits him. There are rules for this game. To break them would mean dire consequences for Taylor and anyone close to him. Taylor must outwit and outlast the fiend for forty-eight hours.
Paperback
Published March 1st 2018 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about The Tracker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tracker

Start your review of The Tracker
Debra
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

After the death of his Mother, Taylor begins hearing strange noises and realizes that the noises are coming from the basement. Could someone be in the house? When the basement door begins to open and strange looking hands and fingers appear, well it is obvious that he is not alone. As a matter of fact, he is invited to play a game. A game he has no choice but to play - grown up Hide and Seek with a horrible twist. Soon Taylor is being hunted by a man/demon/shadow/entity/devil (just what
Carol
4+++ Stars.

Hehehehehe.......Beware THE TRACKER.

I REALLY like a work of horror that surprises me and turns out to be much more of a thriller than anticipated....and John Hunt's THE TRACKER does just that!

POOR TAYLOR, what a life! When we first meet the lonely 25 year old, clearly a BIG man at 300+ pounds; he is on the run accused of multiple homicides, but what he witnessed at the cemetery....what is watching him....and what is in the basement could explain it all....so he decides to turn him

Arah-Lynda
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arah-Lynda by: Zoeytron
Ok so first things first Mr. Hunt, you and I have to have a conversation. Mostly about location, I mean come on, you are getting just a little too close for comfort. Guelph, Ontario is a short half hours drive from my city, in fact I worked there for many years. My god man you are driving down the Hanlon! Enough said.

Would I classify this as horror. You betcha.

Taylor is a fat man. Tall with generous proportions, certainly, but still fat. His mother makes him look small. They have repurposed the
Zoeytron
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zoeytron by: Marvin
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Do you want to play a game?  Come on, it's a simple variation on the theme of hide and seek, but with higher stakes.  It doesn't really matter if you want to play or not, the game has already begun.  Can you catch a glimpse of the shadow man?  You'll know him by his fedora and his long spidery fingers.  Still not sure?  Come closer, maybe that rictus-like grin he sports will convince you.  Keep an eye on the time.

The fine line that resides b
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Attention to lovers of all these dark, suspense-driven and gruesome. I’ve found a new gem that will have your heart beating in your throat the whole read through.

I hate being chased. When our group of friends play a horror game together, I’m the first one to give up, screaming and pressing the pause button and passing the game onto the next person as I whimper in defeat. So imagine my sheer delight at finding a book with a good chase. I was still terrified, despite not being in control of the st
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
Well that was some crazy fucked up shit, excuse my French. I had no idea I had just started a horror novel because, you see, I don't read horror. It's a long story and I won't bore you with it. So it took some time to sink in and by then, alas, it was too late I was on the express train with no hope of getting off. And, I have a bone to pick with whoever writes the official synopses - THERE WAS NO CLUE TO BE HAD! I had even read Hunt's book Doll House, easy, no horror. And then you throw me in a ...more
Nicki
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG,this book is soooo good I read it in one day,once I started reading it I couldn't put it down.

In the early hours of a Monday morning Taylor walks into a Police station,he's covered in blood,dirty and stinks of sweat.After he has been cleaned up and taken to a interview room,he begins to tell Detective Owen his unbelievable story.He says he didn't commit the crimes they suspect him of committing.It was the fiend who did it,the fiend who has been tracking him,the sinister monster who forced Ta
Lisa
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review is very late. Uh, I've been a wee bit ill lately. Um, shit happens. Still, for all the time that passed between me reading and reviewing this book, not a damn thing has changed. If you like weird arsed stuff that has no plausible explanation. The whole darn story was weird, and had me on the edge of my seat. This story was kinda "maybe lottsa" scary. Honestly. This scared the crap outta me. Sometimes it happens that way. This did. That ending? Dude...No way, Jose. That end scared the ...more
Andrea
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this author's book dolls house which I really enjoyed,this one not so much.taylor mum died and he starts to hear things in the basement the tracker is after him he's got to stay away from him to survive and there's rules to this game.for me abit far fetched.was okay read but didn't fully engage. ...more
Kendall
Wow.... this book sure packed a punch with less then 200 pages! I started this morning and finished this afternoon.

Man.. poor Taylor haha yikes! The book first introduces Taylor to us as a 300 plus pound 25 year old being accused of four homicides. But, Taylor swears that he is innocent.

Taylor turns himself in and tells the police officer of a bizarre story of a shadowed man in a fedora..... hmmmm....

Could Taylor be innocent after all? And who is this shadowed man tracking down Taylor?

This d
Marvin
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
With only two novels out, John Hunt is the author to watch in the horror and suspense genre. His first novel, The Doll House is a tight mystery thriller that keeps you guessing. His new novel is The Tracker and while The Doll House was a mystery with strong elements of horror, The Tracker is all horror.

Taylor is an young but obese man with a even more obese mother who dies and leaves Taylor alone in their house. Taylor has no real friends and, like many with severe weight problems, grew up with
Bookworm
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh geeze, where to start with this book??? First off, I was captivated by this read. It started off really strong. Ghostly, eerie, creepy....I mean seriously, being hunted by the boogie man for 48 hours while having to follow game-like rules...sounds like something out of a Wes Craven horror movie! And it was!! I was creeped right out for the first half of the book. It's been a long time since I've read a horror story that actually frightened me and The Tracker managed this feat!

As the story pr
Jean
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"We are going to play an elaborate game of hide and seek. You, of course, are going to hide. I..." he stopped and pointed one of those long fingers into his own chest, "will seek. I have been called the Tracker from time to time. And a devil. A vampire. A demon. The boogeyman. I prefer The Tracker."

Taylor is playing a deadly game of hide and seek. He has 48 hours to outwit and outlast the demon that is hunting him. If caught, a cruel death awaits him. If he breaks any of the rules, there will be
Malina Skrobosinski
My first thoughts were... "Holy guts and gore Batman!" I have to be honest, at first, I was really digging this. A game of chase with the boogeyman? Yes! Does that make me twisted? Eh... maybe, I like a good thrill. BUT... once we got to the second half of the storyline... I have to be honest and say that I started to lose interest. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable for me. There's no way for me to explain my thoughts on this without providing some spoilers, so I apologize... if you're not intereste ...more
Irene
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taylor is an overweight guy who mostly keeps to himself. He has no real friends to speak of and his time is split between work and taking care of his morbidly obese mother. When she passes away he is totally alone... or maybe not. There's a strange man in a fedora stalking him. A shadowy figure who likes to play games, and the stakes are life or death.
This was a fast paced gruesome tale with a really fun twist that I didn't see coming.

I received an advance copy for review.
Dez Nemec
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, arc, 2018, ng-2018
We begin this tale somewhere in the middle. Taylor has just survived 48 hours of hell. He approaches the police department, knowing they are looking for him as they suspect he is a mass murderer. After cleaning up the blood and putting on a prison jumpsuit, Taylor sits down to tell his improbable story to Detective Owen Graham.

After Taylor's mother's funeral, a "man" starts stalking him. One night he wakes up tied to his bed. He is told that he must run and when (not if) he is caught, the creatu
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a page turner! I never thought for one moment that I would spend the entire day reading this book from start to finish, which in itself is saying something.

I don't seem to get around to reading horrors that often, but 'The Tracker' certainly caught my attention. Totally different to what i usually read, so it made a bit of a change. Plenty of twists and turns. I am not going to write what the story is about for fear of spoiling for others. It's the first time that i have read any books by
Jane
I want to thank John Hunt, author and Goodreads First Reads Giveaway for the eBook Kindle copy of The Tracker that I won in the Giveaway.

Taylor has always been overweight and growing up he was bullied and made fun of by his peers. As a young man, his only friend was his mother and when she dies he starts to change. He starts missing large periods of time, becomes very tired and is haunted by a supernatural being that calls itself The Tracker.

What Taylor does and what he becomes is a monster maki
Jayasree B
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-kindle-lib
There are some squeamish parts, though I didn't mind them, some may find it a bit disturbing. The Tracker was a good book, well written, not too much horror, a good thriller overall. The sheer thrill coursing through your veins as you follow the course of the plot, that was unmistakable in this book. You know that something is going to pop out of somewhere, and you are not disappointed! But the books ends with a bam. Not disappointing at all!

For the entire review, visit Frost At Midnite
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Took a bit to full invest but turned out more interesting than I figured. Full review to come.
Red Lace Reviews
Taylor's life is in ruins; his face publicly known for crimes so bloody and awful. He does the only thing that could possibly help him in the situation - he walks through the door of a police station and turns himself in. With no resistance and full compliance, Taylor recounts the most horrific time of his life, where a monster haunts his every step - a brutal game, where fear is in full effect.

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Charlotte
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a Netgalley book.
I'm not sure what the tracker is other than a sadistic game player. He decides to play a "game" of hide and seek with a young over weight man accused of murder. If he can out last or out smart the demonic Tracker for 48 hours without breaking any of the rules, he gets to live. Taylor did NOT do any of the murders he was accused of, but no one will believe him.
The is a real page turner. It will keep you on the edge of your seat for hours. It has a great plot and an excit
Mcf1nder_sk
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recently received another great read from @blackrosewriting. I've gotten some very good thrillers from them, but this is my first horror novel. John Hunt brings us the tale of an unfortunate young man, Taylor, who is the suspect in a series of gruesome murders. Taylor turns himself in, and the first half of this novel is his story of a demonic game of hide-and-seek.
Hunt had done a very good job of bringing us a sympathetic figure in Taylor, an overweight man whose mother recently passed away.
Trina
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, horror, netgalley, arc
I received this arc from Netgalley.

John Hunt knocks this one out of the park. Great read. This is definitely one of the best books that I've read this year. Never a dull moment reading this. The ending just a shocking twist. I highly recommend this one.

500 Book Reviews
Tony
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never want to hear mention of bolt-cutters, a live rat and a bucket in the same sentence again. EVER.

If you start a novel on Saturday and finish it the following day, in my book, that guarantees a big five HorrorTalk stars. It is totally exhilarating taking the plunge on a book you know nothing about, never having read the author before, with mild expectations, but then find it so damned good it is near impossible to put down. Make no bones about it, John Hunt’s “The Tracker” does exactly tha
Kat Dietrich
The Tracker by John Hunt is a horror novel.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Black Rose Writing, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Synopsis:
Taylor is a young man who is alone in the world. His mother has recently died. He has no real friends, and his life is spent working, eating and sleeping. When he starts to lose days, Taylor starts to question his sanity. When he hears noises coming from the basement, he adds l
Heath Henwood
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
By John Hunt

Hunt has written a dark thriller that draws the reader in, with challenges to reader to question the impact of enacting revenge of bullies and our darker nature.

Taylor, a young over weight man, living alone, has a mysterious visitor, a shadow, the tracker. The Tracker gives him a head start to escape and survive for 24 hours. But there are rules. Taylor can not ask for help.
What follows is a string of murders following Taylor.

Detective Owen is on the chase of Taylor, and
Keith Chawgo
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hunt’s new novel is a smashing horror thriller that starts at 100mph and doesn’t slow down until the riveting end.

Starting out as a loner whose best friend is his mother, all is very depressing but when the mother dies and Taylor is alone in the world, things take a drastic turn for the worse. The characterisations and plotting are on point. The action is quick but Hunt never loses the reins of this tense thriller.

This is a quick page turning read that runs at a trot but do to Hunt’s masterfull
Rhonda Huston-Black
Oh man...

Had to finish this as soon as I started reading it. Scary isn't even the word for it; horrifying, maybe
Pat Welte
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, there was plenty of action and horror. Started with a sympathetic person and moved to a nightmare with several victims. I liked the characters and cared what happened to them. This is the first book by this author that I have read. I will look for more books by him.
I would like to thank NetGalley, the Publisher and the author for the opportunity to read and early copy of this book for an honest review.
« previous 1 3 next »

• What She Saw (A Beyond The Veil Prequel, #1)
  • The Room Upstairs
  • Everett
  • What Has Mother Done? (Thea Browne Mystery, #1)
  • Garden of Fiends: Tales of Addiction Horror
  • The Fear In Her Eyes (Ian Quinn #1)
  • Who Killed Anne-Marie?
  • Relentless (Relentless #1)
  • Ash (The Alt Apocalypse #1)
  • Empty Bodies (Empty Bodies #1)
  • Flash Drive
  • Retribution Ridge
  • Friends From the Edge
  • Sick Bastards
  • Wrath of the Sister
  • 12 Steps: A Novel of Suspense
  • Scavenger Hunt
  • Daddy Won't Kill You: The Haunting in the Woods
A busy father of four with a dog and cat, John Hunt lives and works in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. He has had nine short stories published in various anthologies and is a member of the Horror Writers Association. He is the author of Doll House, The Tracker, the apocalyptic novella, Balance, Off The Grid, and short story anthology 4 Shots of Horror. He is also a co-host on the Movies of the Damned!! p ...more