Start by marking “Happy Endings (Happy Endings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Happy Endings (Happy Endings, #1)

Happy Endings

(Demon Magic #1)

Miles, a powerful mage, thinks life is right where he wants it. With a werewolf, a witch, and a demon in his house, what could go wrong? When fifteen people die at the same time in different locations, things start to look a bit bleak. The police are looking for someone to help, someone worthy of helping, but instead they get stuck with Miles and his demon Havoc, whose wea ...more
Published December 12th 2017

Start your review of Happy Endings (Happy Endings, #1)
☆ Todd
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it

Magic. Snark. Banter. Sign my ass right on up!

Once again, I absolutely LOVED Alice Winters' humor, which was a bit like a sneak attack on your funny bone. Not over-the-top or slapstick, but just subtle and very... human?

I was drawn in right from the first hilarious chapter, where Miles, a powerful mage, used a glamor to make himself appear to be an old Asian woman, then proceeded to harass the two detectives looking for him about getting a happy ending massage, until they fled the building c
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
DNF at 82%. This author just isn't for me, especially when she is trying to be banter-y but the characters just seem like ass faces.

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog
Jilly
Really funny fantasy book with every imaginable magic character. Even though there were some serious moments, and in the flashbacks of the past there was abuse suffered by the main couple, the comedy always brought it back to a more lighthearted story.

And sadness. I'm not reading to be sad. The world does that well enough, thank you 2020!

So, we have Miles, a mage who has been alive for hundreds of years, and Havoc, his demon buddy... or is he a familiar? I don't know. They are bound together and
Deborah
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extra 10k meant an automatic re-read. And if anything it was even better the second time.

Original review.

I do love a book that makes me laugh.

Alice Winters has quickly become one of my favourite authors. This book had me from the first page.

No longer did I appear to be twenty-six with short brown hair, slightly longer on the top, and dark blue eyes. But instead I now appear to be a person a little more appropriate for screwing with someone. A seventy-four-year old Asian woman.

He’s bound to a
BWT
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2019
Alice Winters writes some of the best "he's an asshole, but he's hysterically funny" characters. ...more
Riley Parks
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Out of the ordinary, thoroughly well written.

4.5 stars.

Havoc is my spirit demon. I don’t know if that’s a thing, but I really loved him.

Alice Winters is a great writer. This genre isn’t what I typically read, but the way she built the world made it easy for me to understand demons, mages, necromancers, oh my!

Playful dialogue made Happy Endings exceedingly enjoyable.

Protagonist Miles’ POV. I enjoyed being in his head. He was clever and interesting. Flashbacks added richness.

You are going to ship
Kathleen
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
DNF 75%

That was some bare bones, flimsy writing. Some good ideas, but mostly unlikable, shallow characters and skeletal world building. I just didn’t care enough about the protagonists to finish. Not an author I’ll read again.
Courtney Bassett
A cute paranormal adventure

This book had a lot of the kind of banter and wit that I enjoyed in the other books I’ve read from the author. There was a major plot point left unresolved, so I’m assuming it’s the start of a series. There were so many characters that I had a bit of a hard time keeping up with who everyone was, but it was still a very enjoyable read.

Edited for the second time through: I had an easier time following this time around, and I am SUPER looking forward to the next book.
Adrienne
Feb 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF as hell.

I actively regret buying this book, and regret even MORE that I waited too long to start reading and then couldn't return it.

The writing is bad enough, but our love interest is so goddamn hollow and without character (with what character he DOES have being THOROUGHLY unlikable) that I have NO IDEA why we are supposed to be happy about this couple getting together.

Also it happens seemingly OUT OF FREAKING NOWHERE. Just... Ugh.

I admit my bitterness may be magnified by the fact that
Achim
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Bantering Grand Central with a lot of snark thrown into, some bickering and sarcasm. So much of that that I nearly lost sight of the story and they way the feelings between those two are developing ... but maybe I don't speak enough demon :)
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Miles...

Miles is a powerful mage who runs a cafe and keeps a low profile. That is until a couple detectives walk into his shop looking for help on murder cases. As the murders are of magical creatures Miles agrees to help only to find out the man he hates the most in the world, the man he thought he killed years ago is behind it all.
Now Miles and his group of friends must find away to stop Geoff.

Solid read with and interesting cast of characters. I loved the relationship between Miles
Kelsie ♡
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved
You guys ever read something you know isn’t really that great, but you inexplicably love it anyways? That was this book for me.

The use of tense, grammar, and editing all needed some work(though I can admit that stuff hardly ever bothers me unless it’s horrendous). The story moved a little too quickly for the seriousness of what was going on, and our MCs went from psuedo-dislike to humping in like .5 seconds. Not to say you couldn’t see attraction before, but in the actual scene it takes place i
Claudia
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a good book and I liked Miles and Havoc. I will read the next one as well as I think it was a well though out story and interesting characters.

inbetween there were a few scenes which I found just dumb and lessen my enjoyment in this story

nevertheless, a good book and I liked it
Deborah
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do love a book that makes me laugh.

He’s bound to a powerful demon.

“Havoc, I call upon you,” I say...
Silence.
“Goddammit, Havoc, I know you’re there,” I snap..
Hiridessa
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hella Hilarious!!

This was so entertaining! I'm not used to reading fantasy, specially not MM. Happy endings was such a fun read, I can't wait for what's next. I loved this book since the dedication. LOL

This was my first Alice Winters' book and please, colour me impressed. I loved the dynamics of the main characters, the pace of the story and the secondary characters as well. It was all just comical. Also, I'm not used to reading a lot of action going on, so this was a bit different and made it e
Vee
[7.71/10]

This made me laugh a lot! Queer Fantasy Comedy is one of my all-time favourite subgenres and I really wish there were more books out there because the well is running dry...

yeah, this book could have done with more relationship development (especially in the the beginning), fewer plot conveniences and an MC that had to work a bit harder to be amazing at all-of-the-things™︎. BUT, I had so much fun with the comedy element I’m quite happy to overlook elements that would normally throw me
Sionna
Re-read 10/2020
Did I re-read read this book twice in one year? Yes, yes I did. It is one I knew would make me laugh which I was in the mood for. It did not disappoint! This may honestly be my new comfort read <3

------
I started and finished this book laughing to the point of tears. Lots of laughs and a fun little journey. I'm looking forward to reading more!
Shannon

Silly and snarky, with a side of sexy. And really, who knew a Demon could be so funny and hot?!?
I'm learning that Alice Walker likes to add a dose of creepy/gory/graphic with her funny, and I am here for it all! And waiting on pins and needles for the next book!

***Borrowed through KU.
Lav123
Mar 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
This is so bad. I just could not finish it.
Elithanathile
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True rating 4.5 stars 🥰🥰🥰!!
Andrea M
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soo much better than I expected!! I definitely preferred the amount and type of humor in this book than that in the VRC series (😒🙅🏻‍♀️😬).👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I can’t wait for book 2 😁
Havoc x Miles 😆😉😏
Micah
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Even though I’m giving it 3 stars this was 1 of my favorite reads in awhile. The quickest way to my ❤️ is through dark humor & this book is absolutely stuffed with it. A lot of books make me laugh internally but there were many moments in this where I laughed out loud. Also Miles & Havoc are great characters. Although, I will say that the progression of their relationship moved so quickly at times that it didn’t feel genuine.

Onto why I’m giving this 3 stars. I like diversity of characters in my
Daesy
**grm** (some spoilers)

This book made me laugh so much and it was what I really needed to relax. Havoc was a demon, litterally and he acted like one, he was a sexual being, liked to sleep with women and to lure them, he was overconfident in his abilities (with good reason I'd say, since he is one of the most powerful demons ever and is sexy as hell), but he also had an heart of gold and maybe it took him way too long to understand that he was in love with Miles, but he got there and when they st
Joyfully Jay
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

Happy Endings has one of those plots that tends to catch my eye right away. The idea of a mage working in tandem with the demon he controls was one that definitely left an impression. Unfortunately, it wasn’t always a good one. Happy Endings suffers from a rambling plot, grammar issues, and two characters that I wanted to love but never felt I knew well enough to do so.

Let’s talk grammar first. This is usually not one of my hot buttons for the simple reason that
Sunne
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay - I confess...I'm a sucker for Alice Winters characters. Their snark and banter is just hillarious.
And I'll probably read everything she writes.
So - I even read demons and witches...okay, I read them anyway. But, wow, was that good. I loved how Havoc and Miles slipped into a relationship so effortlessly. I loved that while Miles is really powerful, he is still vulnerable. I loved that he isn't stupid. I hope, the next book will be out tomorrow (greedy much???). Seriously, the only problem w
Skirmish
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.com/2021/02/19/...
Rating: 3 Stars – not exactly setting my world on fire but I liked it
Liz
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Not as good as the vampire related series, but still addictive and enjoyable
Jenn (not Lily)
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku
It's hard to believe I'm saying this, but this is much darker than this author's books about a hitman. Yes, the MCs are still gleefully snarky and utter smartasses to each other and their friends, but they're also more serious than the hitman and detective (also way more serious than the blind former detective and his pet-stealing boyfriend). Still an excellent book, but a lot more angst and self-reflection here than the other two series. I'm sure I'll be reading the sequel, if only to find out ...more
Katie
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, m-m-fantasy
Alice Winters never disappoints me. She keeps me laughing through every book.
I love Miles and Havoc. Their banter was perfection and just what I needed after several emotional books.
I can't wait to see what these two and their friends get up to next.
Kytan
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Why?????
Why do some writers insist on using first person to write their books? It's the most difficult one to use, because unless you are extremely good, it just ends up sounding childish....or fanfiction-y.
And in present tense too... That's even worse, it requires you to tell a story as it's happening. Or to make a mess of your tenses.
No book should be written in the present tense (unless the whole book is created around the concept of "events are happening right now as you read it", and even t

• Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • One Bite With a Vampire (Hidden Species #2)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • Hijinks With a Hellhound (Hidden Species #3)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta, #1)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • Forbidden Magic (Magic and Claws, #1)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)
  • How to Steal a Thief (Unholy Trifecta, #2)
  • Hensley Manor
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Treasured
  • Bite Me, Santa
  • Mack's Perfectly Ghastly Homecoming (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #2)
Alice Winters started writing stories as soon as she was old enough to turn her ideas into written words. She loves writing a variety of things from romance and comedy to action. She also enjoys reading, horseback riding, and spending time with her pets.

Follow me on Facebook where I put up short stories, teasers, and giveaways: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Alice...

Join my newsletter: https://ww

Demon Magic (2 books)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)