Start by marking “What Nobody Knew” as Want to Read:
What Nobody Knew

What Nobody Knew

My story begins aged 3, when my mother abandoned me and left me with my brutal father to raise me. Nobody knew the secrets that went on inside that house, or the journey that I travelled on after leaving it, until now. This is the story of my survival.

What do you do when no one wants you?

How many people need to destroy a child until that child wants to destroy herself?

What
Published December 5th 2017 by I_am Self-Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What Nobody Knew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Nobody Knew

Ruby Granger
This story is truly remarkable, inspiring and worth reading. Hearing that somebody could have suffered so extensively without adequate interference from Social Services -- in the UK and only in the 1990s -- is shocking and definitely gives food for thought.

I liked especially how the narrative was broken by the official documents which were written by the school, police and Social Services during her childhood. It was interesting to see these legal documents because I have never seen documents o
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What Nobody Knew is the authors own story. It starts off when she is three and her birth mother abandoning her and her going to live with her father and her stepmother. Sadly for the author, what should be a loving home environment, is anything but.

This is a story that will have you going through an array of emotions. The adults in it made me so angry. Her dad is a brutal drunk who takes it out on his own child as well as his wife. I wish I could say I felt sorry for the stepmother as she has to
Robyn
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I normally do not read a lot of nonfiction, but every once in a while there will be a book that just grabs my attention calling me to read it. What Nobody Knew is one such book. I may not have any children, but I love children and books like this one really anger and sadden me. Amelia Hendrey pens a heart wrenching and devastating true life account of the suffering inflicted by the hands of a parent.

Amelia, abandoned by her mother when she was three years old, is sent to live with her physically
Els
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Double wow! This story is so raw. My heart went out to the author. I was often feeling sick while reading the book. I was repulsed by the way a human being can behave towards another one, especially an adult towards a child.

I have to admire the author. On the one hand because she must be a very strong person to survive what she went through and on the other hand because she very brave. Writing a story like this must be agonizing because she relived it all over again.

I am glad there is something
BookAddict
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This work is quite the departure from the fictional romance I usually read. Oh, how I wish this were a work of fiction! The treatment this child suffered at the hands of those who were supposed to care for her shouldn’t happen to the meanest dog, much less an innocent child. It’s appalling the way the system, the school and the community failed her time and again, but sadly, I know this happens to children every day. Although events are stated objectively and leaning towards being downplayed rat ...more
Lainy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 260

Publisher - Self published

Source - Review Copy

Blurb from Goodreads

What do you do when no one wants you?

What if social service
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
What Nobody Knew is the true story of Amelia’s life and details the abuse and neglect that she experienced as a child. Being only a few years older than me, this was a hard and emotional read for me. I just can’t imagine what she must have gone through, and how badly she was let down by so many people, including social services. Without the inclusion of dates you would think this was something that happened many many years ago but it wasn’t…..it was recent and it’s something everyone should be a ...more
Anne
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do read a lot of non-fiction and memoirs but it's been quite some time since I read a 'misery memoir' (I don't particularly like that description of genre, but it seems to be the acknowledged name within bookselling). I remember 'A Man Named Dave' by Dave Pelzer, and the incredible 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt well, and for quite a few years, there seemed to be shelf upon shelf of books of the same ilk.

At that time I was working in psychiatric care and then went on to work with children i
Michelle Ryles
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-read
What Nobody Knew is a very difficult book to read, purely because it is the author's shocking true story. There's no escaping the fact that it is a true story with the inclusion of real reports and letters documenting Amelia's life, which at times left me open mouthed in shock that nothing was ever done to help her.

It's a very harrowing account of parental abuse and the absolute failure of social services. Thankfully, Amelia doesn't go into too many details of her abuse, which would have been f
Read N' Reviews
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book....WOW!!! I wanted to start writing the review when I was only a couple chapters in. I've read sad books before, but this was the first book that actually hurt my heart. Not only was I sad, but filled with an anger that I wasn't able to do anything with. The ability for anyone to share any type of abuse is a big deal. For someone to be able to write a book about it to share with the world is powerful. It was impossible to put this book down.

This story takes you along the journey of a y
HeidiLynns BookReviews
First, I want to thank Ameila Hendrey for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

Warning to fellow readers this book is not for everyone. This book has topics such as violence, domestic abuse, verbal abuse, rape, abandonment at age 3, and could be a trigger to many. The material in this book is not for the faint of heart. Read at your own risk.

Ameila Hendrey is one of the bravest and one of the strongest woman I know to share her story in What Nobody Knew. This is her story
Ami-May
I do love my non-fiction true story books and this was no different.

I think writing reviews for these books are truly the hardest because while we ‘enjoy‘ these books it’s also so wrong to ‘enjoy‘ them. Enjoy is such a bad word to describe reading these kinda books.

This book is harrowing, horrific,  traumatic and gut-wrenching. When you are a child it should be fun, care-free but this is so far from that.

It all started at age 3 for Ameilia when her mother abandons her on her alcoholic father’s d
Jessica Bronder
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Amelia Hendrey’s story. It will angry you and move you at the same time. This is a hard story to read with everything that she has gone through but it is one that I recommend people reading.

When Amelia is three years old, her biological mother abandons her at her father’s house. What follows is the childhood of nightmares for her. Amelia’s father is a bad alcoholic and very abusive to bother her step mother and herself. Her stepmother had her own issues and tended to take out her frustra
Mary Pettit
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are just blown away at what some people have been through. Amelia writes one of the most candid, raw, heart wrenching story we've ever read. She describes her experiences growing up with her disgustingly abusive father, her good for nothing selfish step mother, and knowing all along her biological mother left her and never looked back. Her writing is so raw and real that while you read, you will feel the breath escape your lungs and the overwhelming feeling of loneliness deep into your being. ...more
Jan Anderegg
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carol Hibbs
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! On iBooks, I wrote a review specifically to the author. I’m not sure if that’s the way it’s supposed to be done, but I felt that I should. I’d love to meet Amelia, I think she’s so inspirational. I’ll never forget her story.
Alexandra
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poor poor girl. What a traumatic and horrendous childhood you had!!!! Devastating to read but beautiful to know you have come out the other side, happier, stronger and better!!! Total admiration and respect for you!!! Well done xx
Ceri-Anne Davies
Horrific childhood

This book was easy to read due to the authors writing style but so sad to think she went through so much pain and emotional turmoil because of the horrid father and selfish step mother.
I hope that life is happy for you and your loving husband and child now.
Kivalina Gwynn
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW

Tough book to read. I could deal with the regular abuse but as soon as the sex abuse happened my trouble reading began. My Grandfather was a jerk.
Best Reads
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Nobody Knew by Amelia Hendrey gives a vivid account of childhood abuse and how the system (regardless of country) fails our youth. It’s a tail of sorrow and resilience. A must read!
jackie stokes
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg

Fantastic read ,couldn't put it down from first page , it was shocking & heartbreaking and would highly recommend ,
Michelle Kenyon