Start by marking “Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven (Monstress, #3)” as Want to Read:
Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven (Monstress, #3)

Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven

(Monstress #3)

Maika has spent most of her life learning how to fight, but how will she fare when the only way to save her life...is to make friends?

Collects issues 13-18 of the Hugo Award and British Fantasy Award series.
Published September 11th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Monstress, Vol. 3, please sign up.
Lenny Because Image Comics's stories are all creator-owned, the series will be as long as Liu and Tanaka want it to be! Unfortunately they haven't confirmed…moreBecause Image Comics's stories are all creator-owned, the series will be as long as Liu and Tanaka want it to be! Unfortunately they haven't confirmed how many volumes the series is going to be, but it hasn't been cancelled. At the moment they are taking a hiatus between story arcs, which is normal for Image. If you're concerned about cost, I'd suggest getting the volumes at your local library when they come out and then splurging on the hardcover (which will combine at least two paperbacks) when it's published (likely sometime next year)! Hope this is helpful :)(less)
Sherri Monstress has an awesome storyline and the artwork is stunning. I find that it can be confusing, though. There are a lot of characters to keep track…moreMonstress has an awesome storyline and the artwork is stunning. I find that it can be confusing, though. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, and the society is complex. If you've read any high fantasy, you can expect that sort of story structure.(less)

Anne
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The art is gorgeous, but there just wasn't enough clarity in the plot for me to love-love this volume.

description

Everything that basically everyone says or thinks in Haven is annoyingly cryptic, and/or just when it seems they're about to answer a question, they stop and let their sentence trail off. It got to the point that I wanted to shake the characters and yell at them to say what they mean. Or, at the very least, finish what they were saying!

description

Maika was having these 'conversations' with Tuya in
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Love the characters in these books!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Melanie
May 19, 2018 marked it as to-read

Vol. 1: Awakening ★★★★★
Vol. 2: The Blood ★★★★★

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Bradley
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a lot of ways, this third volume of Monstress is better than all the rest. But why? Didn't I love the death of Halfwolf's mother or the island or horrors in the second?

Of course I did!

But this third volume is all kinds of great reveals and a wonderful new location that I actually love. I have an investment here. Oh, and god battles kick major butt. :)

The understory is getting SWEET, the conflicts are ramping up great, and war is here! Not just rumors of war or rememberings of past atrocities,
Calista
I still don't really follow what's going on in this story. It moves fast and doesn't really connect dots and yet it still draws me in and fascinates me. It is a violent and interesting story who horrible horrors happen and people back stab each other. It does not seem like a very nice world. It's very cut-throat.

We are on a voyage going to some island looking for a mask I think, or pieces of a mask. We learn more about the thing Inside Maika. I do love the little foxgirl. She is my favorite cha
Trish
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this third volume we follow Maika and her gang (mainly consisting of Kippa and Master Ren) as they are still trying to get away from the Blood Queens and thus have no choice but to seek refuge in Tear Shed in Pontus Waters. Tear Shed is a harbour town full of refugees. They have an ancient shield they are desperate to get to work again so they are trying to enlist Maika's help (because of her bloodline) in exchange for granting her and her companions sanctuary.

Thus, old and new characters are
David Schaafsma
From Bitch Planet to Lumberjanes to Monstress, the idea in many girl/woman-centric comics in the present time would seem to be depicting a world with as few men as possible. And if you watched any of the recent Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings, it may have crossed your mind to envision this kind of future, too: How can we get rid of all these vicious, aging mean-spirited representatives of the patriarchy that is destroying women and the planet? The tones differ; Bitch Planet (for adult women) is snarky ...more
Manisha
Actual review: 3.5

There's something wrong when I love the artwork more than the story. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous! It is the best I've seen in graphic novels. It's intricate, delicate, with a lot of detail.

The story, however, lacks a good background for understanding. Recently, I've found myself disappointed in graphic novels with a high fantasy story, and it could be that it's a format that doesn't work for me. There is just something lacking in reading a high fantasy story in this for
Elise (TheBookishActress)
if you need a refresher on the plot of this series, I would totally recommend reading Melanie's two fantastically detailed wrap-ups!
Ivan
4.5 stars.

First 2 volumes where on tip to get 5 stars but quite there. Volume 3 goes slightly over that threshold and gets 5 stars. What I like about volume 3 the most is that we see character development in Zinn. He is no longer shapeless Lovecraftian horror (he is not even horror for that matter) but an actual character.

Illustrations are still one of prettiest I seen.
Miriam
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Art, amazing as always.

Plot, continuing to grow ever more convoluted as new players, places, and powers are added. This isn't exactly a criticism, but I must admit they are hard to keep straight when reading a serial publication over time (like, the black lady with white hair who is a spy? I think was around earlier but that's all I remember). I guess later I can go back and reread for specifics.

I notice that this world has trains, and also uses the adjective "olympian" as in heights. I hadn't
Ana | The Phoenix Flight
Estes livros são qualquer coisa :D à medida que vamos avançando na história, as peças do puzzle vão começando a encaixar umas nas outras, a história vai ficando mais composta e menos confusa.

No primeiro volume, achei que a arte era superior à história. A história interessou-me, muito, mas mesmo assim achei que a arte era o que fazia sobressair o livro, mas já não penso dessa forma. Quanto mais avançamos na história, mais a qualidade da história vai equilibrando com a arte fabulosa!

As coisas estã
Tatiana
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 star

Fantastic art. Love how women-centric this story is.

But I can't always keep track of all the characters, especially the dark-haired women with their faces covered in some way. Hope there is a Monstress character guide somewhere on the net, or I'll be completely lost at some point.
Stephanie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler)

I don't always understand everything but I think I get enough. It's a deep and complex world with wonderful messages and thought-provoking. And i'm falling in love with the characters. Maika, Kippa, Ren <3 And it makes me cry. I mean that isn't hard to do, but still.
Kim Dyer
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-comics
I am still really enjoying this series. The art is still beautiful - some of the best that I have ever seen in a graphic novel - and I adore the world-building and principal cast. However, I am starting to feel as though there is something lacking. Now that we are three volumes into the series, I would expect it to be building to something. Yet, there isn't a clear sense of that. The world is still deep and immersive, but that lack of focus makes me sometimes feel lost.

I also sometimes struggle
Acqua
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

I love this series so much.

Maika has been explicitly confirmed as queer! I mean, it was pretty obvious from the first two volumes too, but there are people who will ignore every hint when it comes to women liking other women. Her past romance and complicated relationship with Tuya is both very compelling and heartbreaking to read and I want to know more.

Maika isn't the only queer character - I described this book as a "gay steampunk Asian matriarchy", because by now I pretty much assum
Taylor
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Why would you do this Marjorie Liu?! THAT WAS EVIL AND I NEED VOLUME 4!!
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stunning visuals as usual in this series. And poor Kippa! What’s to become of her!?
Sabrina Ye
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ehm, dear author, HOW DARE YOU
Maddie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
honestly the art in this series doesn't make up for the fact that like 99% of the time I have no idea wtf is going on. Not going to continue.
Sara
So this series continues to be absolutely beautiful to look at. I can't get over the perfect blend of traditional art and manga styles. Its something that seems like it absolutely should not work and yet it does. Its like they know right where to draw the line between too cartoony and cutesy and absurd levels of hyper violence and you get this almost entirely new kind of graphic story telling.

But...I'd like the story to start moving just a bit. As book three begins the Arcanics (magical creature
daisy
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THAT COVER ART!
I'm so, so excited for this - pre-ordered my copy last week, August can't get here fast enough tbh!!

4.5 + RTC later! I don't think I've read a graphic novel series with more gorgeous art than this one, it's absolutely stunning. The character designs are some of my all-time faves from any series tbqh.

One tiny somewhat spoilery thing I have to mention:
(view spoiler)
Devann
This series is amazing and I still love it dearly, but it's just getting to the point where I often have no idea what is going on and I'm not sure if that's on me or the author [or maybe a bit of both]. And there's a thing in the front of each volume that has character descriptions but it's of the characters that you DEFINITELY already know who they are [Maika, Ren, etc] whereas I'm trying to remember all these 500 side characters who all look vaguely alike and are all apparently up to something ...more
Kitkat
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
E.
To quote the poets... holy fucking shit...
Benji Glaab
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars this series still remains engaging to me. I love the writing, artwork, and lore of this world. My main beef is I feel confused half the time. When this series is complete I will be doing a re-read through I'm sure this series will read well back to back.
rachel
Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening ★★★★☆
Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood ★★★☆

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Leseparatist
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novel
This was an early and awfully perfect gift from Joanka. And what a treat! The story is sweeping, glorious, messy and gripping, and the art is breathtakingly beautiful. I think this volume may have been my favourite so far, with the relationships between characters becoming more complex and the secrets having higher stakes. I can see myself re-reading this in the future, and discovering even more complexity. My only complaint is how long I have to wait for the next volume.

I really should have wai
Caro the Helmet Lady
Well, I don't know about this story anymore. It sure keeps one's attention, but also it gets more and more annoying with all the "unexpected plot twists" and betrayals. Also pointless gore. The graphic side is still stunning though.
Ivan
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A história vai ficando interessante. Mas ainda há tanto para desvendar! A arte continua espectacular. É uma história para ir acompanhando durante os próximos anos.
  • Saga, Vol. 9
  • とつくにの少女 5 [Totsukuni no Shoujo 5] (The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún, #5)
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
  • Seven to Eternity, Vol. 2: Ballad of Betrayal
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part 2
  • Clean Room, Vol. 3: Waiting for the Stars to Fall
  • Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch
  • Sleepless, Vol. 1
  • Black Magick, Vol. 2: Awakening II
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 4: High Fantasies (Rat Queens, #4)
  • Trees, Vol. 2: Two Forests
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black

Monstress (3 books)
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening (Monstress, #1)
  • Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood (Monstress, #2)
“To become a future-teller, one needs only to study history.” 3 likes
“What happened once, will happen again...but in a different form. To become a future-teller, one needs only to study history.” 1 likes