Start by marking “Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven” as Want to Read:
Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven

Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven

(Monstress #3)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  8,079 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
Maika Halfwolf has begun to unlock the mysteries of her past - but the challenges of the present are only growing. In this third volume of MONSTRESS, collecting issues 13-18, Maika's journey takes her to the neutral city of Pontus, where she hopes to find temporary refuge from her pursuers. Unfortunately, Pontus may not be as safe as Maika and her allies had hoped.

As the i
Published September 11th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Monstress, Vol. 3, please sign up.
Lenny Because Image Comics's stories are all creator-owned, the series will be as long as Liu and Tanaka want it to be! Unfortunately they haven't confirmed…moreBecause Image Comics's stories are all creator-owned, the series will be as long as Liu and Tanaka want it to be! Unfortunately they haven't confirmed how many volumes the series is going to be, but it hasn't been cancelled. At the moment they are taking a hiatus between story arcs, which is normal for Image. If you're concerned about cost, I'd suggest getting the volumes at your local library when they come out and then splurging on the hardcover (which will combine at least two paperbacks) when it's published (likely sometime next year)! Hope this is helpful :)(less)
Sherri Monstress has an awesome storyline and the artwork is stunning. I find that it can be confusing, though. There are a lot of characters to keep track o…moreMonstress has an awesome storyline and the artwork is stunning. I find that it can be confusing, though. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, and the society is complex. If you've read any high fantasy, you can expect that sort of story structure.(less)

·  8,079 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews

Start your review of Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
Anne
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The art is gorgeous, but there just wasn't enough clarity in the plot for me to love-love this volume.

description

Everything that basically everyone says or thinks in Haven is annoyingly cryptic, and/or just when it seems they're about to answer a question, they stop and let their sentence trail off. It got to the point that I wanted to shake the characters and yell at them to say what they mean. Or, at the very least, finish what they were saying!

Maika was having these 'conversations' with Tuya
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Love the characters in these books!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Bradley
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a lot of ways, this third volume of Monstress is better than all the rest. But why? Didn't I love the death of Halfwolf's mother or the island or horrors in the second?

Of course I did!

But this third volume is all kinds of great reveals and a wonderful new location that I actually love. I have an investment here. Oh, and god battles kick major butt. :)

The understory is getting SWEET, the conflicts are ramping up great, and war is here! Not just rumors of war or rememberings of past atrocities,
Elle (ellexamines)
In short? Another stunning, if sometimes confusing, installment. It took me a while to remember details after a two-year break from keeping up with these, and I actually spent quite a bit of time on the Wiki, but I found it easy to get reinvested in these characters.

[image error]

So, a brief reminder of the politics of the known world. On one side of the world is the human federation, oppressive to Arcanics and the cats alike. On the other side lie the Arcanics, half-human & half-animal beings p
Calista
I still don't really follow what's going on in this story. It moves fast and doesn't really connect dots and yet it still draws me in and fascinates me. It is a violent and interesting story who horrible horrors happen and people back stab each other. It does not seem like a very nice world. It's very cut-throat.

We are on a voyage going to some island looking for a mask I think, or pieces of a mask. We learn more about the thing Inside Maika. I do love the little foxgirl. She is my favorite cha
David Schaafsma
From Bitch Planet to Lumberjanes to Monstress, the idea in many girl/woman-centric comics in the present time would seem to be depicting a world with as few men as possible. And if you watched any of the recent Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings, it may have crossed your mind to envision this kind of future, too: How can we get rid of all these vicious, aging mean-spirited representatives of the patriarchy that is destroying women and the planet? The tones differ; Bitch Planet (for adult women) is snarky ...more
Trish
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this third volume we follow Maika and her gang (mainly consisting of Kippa and Master Ren) as they are still trying to get away from the Blood Queens and thus have no choice but to seek refuge in Tear Shed in Pontus Waters. Tear Shed is a harbour town full of refugees. They have an ancient shield they are desperate to get to work again so they are trying to enlist Maika's help (because of her bloodline) in exchange for granting her and her companions sanctuary.

Thus, old and new characters are
Manisha
Actual review: 3.5

There's something wrong when I love the artwork more than the story. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous! It is the best I've seen in graphic novels. It's intricate, delicate, with a lot of detail.

The story, however, lacks a good background for understanding. Recently, I've found myself disappointed in graphic novels with a high fantasy story, and it could be that it's a format that doesn't work for me. There is just something lacking in reading a high fantasy story in this for
Ivan
4.5 stars.

First 2 volumes where on tip to get 5 stars but quite there. Volume 3 goes slightly over that threshold and gets 5 stars. What I like about volume 3 the most is that we see character development in Zinn. He is no longer shapeless Lovecraftian horror (he is not even horror for that matter) but an actual character.

Illustrations are still one of prettiest I seen.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 1: Awakening ★★★★★
Vol. 2: The Blood ★★★★★
Vol. 3: Haven ★★★★★

For some reason, I originally thought Monstress was only ever going to be a 3-volume series, so I went into this one expecting things to wrap up at the end. That's definitely not the case, and I'm so glad, because that cliffhanger ending juuuust about killed me. This was my least favorite volume so far overall, and I can't quite place why — maybe just too much going on, plus a bit of back-tracking on a certain character's developm
Mir
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Art, amazing as always.

Plot, continuing to grow ever more convoluted as new players, places, and powers are added. This isn't exactly a criticism, but I must admit they are hard to keep straight when reading a serial publication over time (like, the black lady with white hair who is a spy? I think was around earlier but that's all I remember). I guess later I can go back and reread for specifics.

I notice that this world has trains, and also uses the adjective "olympian" as in heights. I hadn't
Schizanthus Nerd
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Monstress Volume 3: Haven is a 2019 Hugo Awards finalist in the Best Graphic Story category.
description
Maika, Kippa and Ren have now made it to Tear Shed, a refugee camp. Corvin is also there and he, Maika and Kippa have some awkward moments in a coffee shop.
description
Maika also meets Vihn Nem, the Royal Engineer of Pontus, who offers Maika and her friends sanctuary in exchange for her reactivating the Pontus Shield.

Lady Atena and Resak meet up with the Prime Minister and Admiral Brito to discuss politics, f
Tatiana
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 star

Fantastic art. Love how women-centric this story is.

But I can't always keep track of all the characters, especially the dark-haired women with their faces covered in some way. Hope there is a Monstress character guide somewhere on the net, or I'll be completely lost at some point.
Sophie
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The story is finally coherent and fluid enough to say at last this series was well worth its five Eisner and Hugo awards. :)

Five tar-black, tentacle-nimble and ornately gilded stars.
Acqua
4.5 stars.

I love this series so much.

Maika has been explicitly confirmed as queer! I mean, it was pretty obvious from the first two volumes too, but there are people who will ignore every hint when it comes to women liking other women. Her past romance and complicated relationship with Tuya is both very compelling and heartbreaking to read and I want to know more.

Maika isn't the only queer character - I described this book as a "gay steampunk Asian matriarchy", because by now I pretty much assum
Michael Finocchiaro
The 3rd volume of Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven features great graphics a fast-moving if convoluted storyline. Definitely worth reading if you enjoyed the first two. That being said, it is a bit repetitive in the storyline with respect to Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood which was a bit of a downside. Some of the images, like to zoom on the mean-fox dude seem copied from that previous volume. That being said, Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen is really good and even more incomprehensible if you don't wade th ...more
Taylor
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Why would you do this Marjorie Liu?! THAT WAS EVIL AND I NEED VOLUME 4!!

*after reread October 2019*

Just as awesome I remembered!!
Faith M ✨
Buddy read with Nana!

Wow, the Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet parallels just keep getting stronger. Except Amulet is good and idek what this was.

It was pretty. I'll give it that. The aesthetic is on point. I had no clue what was happening most of the time, but it sure was pretty. I could barely keep track of the characters, and almost everything that happened was pure self-indulgence. It really took me out of the narrative when certain large sea monsters were spouting certain words that sounded like some
Anita Reads
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
[4.5 stars] What a cliffhanger!
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
sometimes I still have no idea what's going on, but it's gorgeously illustrated as usual lol
Tyler J Gray
(view spoiler)

I don't always understand everything but I think I get enough. It's a deep and complex world with wonderful messages and thought-provoking. And i'm falling in love with the characters. Maika, Kippa, Ren <3 And it makes me cry. I mean that isn't hard to do, but still.
Sabrina Ye
And now we wait...
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How does this series just stay so good all the time? In this one we have our usual one-armed main character, we have a half blind one and a wheelchair user (the latter two are brief appearances.) We also get a range of POC and lgbt+ characters are socially accepted and the norm. I love it.

I also love the plot more than ever in this one. Most of the world building has pretty much been established by this volume, so now it is much easier to follow the political scheming and allying that is going o
Madi
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
honestly the art in this series doesn't make up for the fact that like 99% of the time I have no idea wtf is going on. Not going to continue.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stunning visuals as usual in this series. And poor Kippa! What’s to become of her!?
Amy Imogene Reads
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So! Good!
Emma
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exceptional art work, a very beautiful product. Still not entirely clear about what’s going on...! I like the growing understanding between Maika and Zinn.
Arkham Reviews
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-comics
I am still really enjoying this series. The art is still beautiful - some of the best that I have ever seen in a graphic novel - and I adore the world-building and principal cast. However, I am starting to feel as though there is something lacking. Now that we are three volumes into the series, I would expect it to be building to something. Yet, there isn't a clear sense of that. The world is still deep and immersive, but that lack of focus makes me sometimes feel lost.

I also sometimes struggle
E.
To quote the poets... holy fucking shit...

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo

• Saga, Vol. 9
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 7: Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 4
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay (the wicked + the divine #9)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • The Colossal Magic Nothing (Rat Queens, #5)
  • Isola, Vol. 1
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 3
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part II (The Wicked + The Divine #6)
  • Saga, Vol. 8
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5: Imperial Phase, Part I (The Wicked + The Divine #5)
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black

Monstress (5 books)
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Monstress, Vol. 5: Warchild

Articles featuring this book

Marjorie Liu is the author of more than 19 novels and the co-creator and writer of the award-winning horror fantasy...
“To become a future-teller, one needs only to study history.” 8 likes
“What happened once, will happen again...but in a different form. To become a future-teller, one needs only to study history.” 6 likes