Start by marking “Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War” as Want to Read:
Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War

Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War

(Descender #6)

A new, cataclysmic chapter of the Descender saga is here! All the various factions who have been hunting Tim-21 finally converge around the ocean planet, Mata just as the robots launch their galaxy wide revolution! But nothing can prepare the young android Tim, or the readers, for what happens next. The Descender saga comes to a startling climax and sets the stage for the ...more
Published September 25th 2018 by Image Comics (first published August 14th 2018)

Start your review of Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
Anne
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this volume.
I guess I just wasn't prepared for this to be the end of this part of the story if you know what I mean?

description

I did really love the explanations we got as to who/what Machinekind was, and why they originally attacked everyone.
(view spoiler)
Tim's role in the way everything
David Schaafsma
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this volume we get a backstory that sheds some light on the origin of sentient inorganic beings in the universe and just who--of humans and robots--created whom! A long six volume series of arcs completed, in one surprising way, with some smaller arcs completed in pretty satisfying ways, such as those of Telsa, Andy and Effie, Driller. . . . So the final confrontation between organic and inorganic life—The Descenders—is here at last, though it is mostly a series of resolutions that take place ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Extraordinary artwork in aquarelle as always compelling, gripping story and the conclusion to the first cycle in the Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War series.

Our favorite characters are finally teamed up on this final showdown between AI and humans. The story is literally explosive and very satisfying with stupendous artwork as always. Fortunately, the story continues in the new cycle Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
Dennis
description

That’s it. It’s over. I’m sad.

The last volume in this beautiful series begins with some waywaybackstory.

description

We learn some interesting things about Machinekind and the Harvesters. About the Descenders. Did these machines make us? Good question, my friend. Interesting.

Then we go back to the conflict at hand. Quite exciting. It’s war after all. And our heroes play a big role in it all.

description

The tactics of the Descenders are somewhat questionable, though. There‘s either a fairly big plot hole here, or some
Trish
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was the last volume. At least of Descender. And what an epic ending. I didn't actually expect a resetting of the clocks but then again, how else could this story end?

Tim-21 is with the old professor and his ancestor but when they contact the machines that sent the harvesters, the response is not what they expected. Let's just say that the guys aren't exactly pacifists.
Driller is still around somewhere with that weird being he encountered on the planet that had "magic" and we finally find
Bradley
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm caught between loving it and hating certain aspects of this.

It's the END of the comic but not the ongoing story. The end of Descender, however, was rather... abrupt.

For the most part, this volume did a great job with more buildup and continuing action, but RIGHT when we were about to have the reckoning... it happened. Just. Next, please! Sigh.

Well, at the very least, I can say the end did one thing very well. It made me want to pick up the new series continuing 10 years down the line.
Ivan
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved volume 1 of Descender. It was my first dive into Lemire's work and in meantime he has become one of my favourite comicbook writers. While series series maintained quality it never reached same height as volume one or as some other Lemire's work but I'm glad it ends on high note. I loved the twist and unexpected ending. It gives even stronger flavour to what is already pretty unusual series and I liked setup for the new series. Ascender in now one my most anticipated series.

Chad
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
We finally get some answers about The Descenders, as the first 2 issues are kind of a history that indirectly explained what happened with the Harvestors. Then all of these myriad of plots head to the same place as war boils over. I have to say I didn't see things unfolding the way they did. And it turns out that Descender is just the first arc in a larger story. Now on to Ascender which comes out in a few weeks.

Rahma Abdelrahman
*goosebumps*
Barbara McEwen
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - Ugh, the ending seemed so fast! Maybe it's because I am not ready for it to end. Good story with beautiful illustrations.
Chris Lemmerman
All the pieces are in place, and the war is about to begin. With Tim-21 and his friends trapped in the middle, only the littlest robot can save the day and stop humanity from being wiped from the universe. But a far more sinister, far more far-reaching plot is also coming to fruition as The Descenders finally make themselves known.

It's all been leading to this - it's cliché, but it's true. Jeff Lemire's intergalactic epic has been building and building to this final confrontation between organic
Roy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Read these as single issues. A little disappointed with the ending. I understand that this wasnt the intended ending as the story changed as it progressed. Looking forward to 2019 with what this team brings. Hopefully it builds on this amazing world they've created.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.5 Stars
Another fantastic volume which reminded me why I consider Descender to be one of my favourite graphic novel series. There were so many exciting plot development in this one, including some important backstory reveals. I highly recommend this science fiction series!
Cathy
The beginning of this last volume starts with major backstory. We find out, how the humans discovered the tech to start building bots, drones et cetera.

Switching back to the present day, the plot does not fully make sense to me. Why did machinekind warn humans ten years ago, but then not follow through? That‘s a fairly big plot hole right there. Regardless, it was a good volume.

I liked the ending. Was it a great ending? Did the story develop in a satisfying way? I am not actually sure. It all
Maija
This series didn't do much for me. There was always one issue per volume that I enjoyed more, and I loved Driller. I didn't really care what happened to any of the other characters. I'd give the series as a whole 2.5 stars. Not my thing.
Taylor
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect conclusion. I'M CRYING.

I can't wait for Ascender!!
Benji Glaab
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great series!!!

Admittedly after 6 volumes it's kind of lost it's 'wow' factor, but hey this is still a damn good story, and I am highly anticipating Ascenders, which will be hitting the shelves in tpb sometime this year.

At last the origins of the harvester/hrmmns first interactions are explained, and ya as it turns out the first attack ten years prior to volume 1 was just a warm up. Most things are resolved, but the ending is kind of devastating. I was sad to see it all go down like that,
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
Wow, what a conclusion. I absolutely loved this series overall and cannot wait for the sequel, Ascender to start! Jeff Lemire has definitely become one of my favorite comic writers of all time (I loved Sweet Tooth!) and Dustin Nguyen's watercolor-like art style brought the sci-fi elements to life super well and made the emotional beats pack an extra punch. All the stars to this space opera!
Kayla (onthefritz)
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mannnnn that was so epic! I love this series so much!
This wasn't as gut-punchy as some past volumes, but still hit the feels and was an insane conclusion.

Side Bar: so hyped that there is going to be a sequel series, Ascender. What?! I'm so excited, and the first issue comes out in a couple of weeks, I had no idea!
Chihoe Ho
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Descender has never really disappointed me. With this final volume, it proves once again why it's one of the best graphic novel series to have ever been written and illustrated, but beyond that, told and painted, because Descender is not your average comic series.

The great climax that I have been yearning and dreading is finally upon us, and it's both explosive and emotional. But this destruction births a new world, and a new hope. Unlike the sci-fi world of robots and technology, we are
Craig
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was going to say I think this is Lemire's best work since Sweet Tooth, but on reflection, I think it just might be his best work, period. Even with this somewhat flawed conclusion to what's been a stellar series. Somewhat flawed, just because there are so many competing storylines that I don't think they all got a fair resolution (did we really need to have the Gnishians playing such a large role at the end?). Things were just sort of rushed at the end. The artwork by Dustin Nguyen continues ...more
orangerful

Hm...well...that was a finale. There were several things in this volume that I felt should not have been kept until the very end, especially Mizerd's "stick". And then the reveal on the final page of an upcoming tie-in series made me feel even more frustrated that some plot points were hidden until this book.

Overall, still an enjoyable series but the ending felt rushed.
Patrick
This was a very interesting twist! I really enjoyed the series. Are there more coming out after this one?
bryce
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, what ending!
And a setup!
Hooray, it's not really over!

You've read this far, do I even need to review this?
Just finish it fast.
Ed Erwin
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sf
I'll let "4 stars" stand as my rating for the whole series. Volume 5 felt like too much filler, then Volume 6 felt too rushed. Overall: Lovely art. Good, not great, story.
Jenny Clark
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: image-comics
I love love love this series! I would not consider it hard core sci fi, but it is sci fi indeed. The watercolor art is beautiful and I love that it was done on watercolor paper as well. The characters are all pretty well developed despite this being a shortish series. I love seeing how they have all changed.
I am super excited for Ascender next year!
Paz R.M.
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
I'm conflicted about this one... (maybe I'll round this up later to a 4)
See, for many issues I've felt like there weren't many stakes. One character would end up in a deadly situation (getting shot for example) and then in the next issue they would quickly recover and the scene would kept going, and I just... I had started to find those meaningless dangerous moments so cheap. My enjoyment really suffered because of things like that, plus I feel like Lemire's writing was getting...
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Heart-wrenching end to Tim-21’s tale - and yeah, there were guts to this. Serious repercussions, not a very happily ever after but super satisfying while also leaving a smidgeon open for a sequel.
David Pain
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read the last four volumes of this series in a few days on holiday (after starting the series a year or so back) so these comments are for the whole series.

The standout features are:

There's a good amount of heart and feeling involved. The characters are generally well fleshed out. Driller is a personal favourite.

The artwork is unusual and good. Light pencil drawings with painted colours over the top. I struggled to see what was going on in many space scenes with ships in them but I generally
Shannon

• Saga, Vol. 9
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 4
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 3
  • Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 1
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Isola, Vol. 1
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 2
  • Coda, Vol. 1
  • Deadly Class, Volume 7: Love Like Blood
  • Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
Jeff Lemire is a New York Times bestselling and award winning author, and creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, Essex County, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Plutona, Black Hammer, Descender, Royal City, and Gideon Falls. His upcoming projects include a host of series and original graphic novels, including the fantasy series Ascender with Dustin Nguyen.

Descender (6 books)