Start by marking “I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4: Sadly Never After” as Want to Read:
I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4: Sadly Never After

I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4: Sadly Never After

(I Hate Fairyland #4)

What started as a normal, everyday, child-sucked-into-a-magical-land-to-fulfill-an-inane-quest has changed Fairyland forever. In the continuation of SKOTTIE YOUNG'S saccharine fantasy-satire, Gertrude hands over the spotlight to Larry, Duncan Dragon, and some of Fairyland's other supporting cast, misfits, and forgotten threats.

Collects issues 16 through 20.
Published August 28th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4

Start your review of I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4: Sadly Never After
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well, there’s that finished then. I loved these books and the graphics are amaze balls!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Sam Quixote
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Once upon a time…

… a mad little girl tried to destroy the wondrous Fairyland! But she failed and was banished to where all naughty children go: HELL! Except now that Fairyland faces destruction once more at the hands of something else, Gertie must somehow escape the Devil’s tortures and return to her most hated place to become its saviour. How will the story end? Sadly never after…

So after four books we’ve come to the end of Skottie Young’s subversive comic on children’s fairytales. And, like
Heidi The Reader
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometime in July, when I wasn't paying attention, Skottie Young announced this installment of the I Hate Fairyland series would be the final one. Imagine my surprise when I got to the last page of what was obviously the end of one of my favorite comic series. It was bittersweet.

Young brings the series to a close with Gertie trying one more time to get home. The last book ended on a cliffhanger with a surprise twist. He addresses that directly in the first pages of this installment.

"Yeah, that's
Alejandro
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gertrude's journey comes to an end!

After 40 years or so, of being stranded in the Fairyland, Gertrude thought that she wouldn't be able to come back to her own reality...

...but all good (and funny!) things come to an end and here...

...you have the ending of an epic journey of Gertrude, but before getting back her life...

...she must face hell!

Literally!

Gertrude will be in hell and an old acquaintance will return to devaste Fairyland.

Gertrude would be Fairyland's ultimate hope...

...or its ulti
Calista
Well, this volume was much less blood and violent than the others for a Gert story. I read this is the last one. Gert finally finds a way to go home. The crazy characters are back and the world is in danger of being destroyed and this time only Gert can save it.

This is one twisted series and funny. It is hyper color and hyper stylized. I think they came up with a good ending and they ended it in a timely manner and did not drag it out forever. It's good to get an ending. There are some great ser
Alison
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS IS THE LAST ONE?!?! I'm not ready for this to end!
I do feel like maybe the ending for this was rushed (as a volume and as a series). As always though, I love the humor, I love the world, I love the art. Just didn't wish this wasn't ending so quickly. WHAT DO I READ NOW?!
Tyler J Gray
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25

I loved this volume so much! The way Gert told them like it is! Even being profound and thought-provoking. The ending felt a little..flat though. But over-all I found it a nice ending to what I found to be an awesome series. BUT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO END! T.T
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
Skottie, what happened? This series has been five stars all the way through for me and then I read the very last volume and all I can think to say is "that's it?" It wasn't terrible but it was so lackluster and I expected so much for a finale from the book. I wanted, no NEEDED more from this story. I mean it has some cool stuff in it - Gert's punishment in hell was fitting and cute but that is really all I even remember. There wasn't much in the way of dialogue - half of it was just full pages o ...more
Madi
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NOOOO I WANT MORE
Shannon
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Definitely a series that overstayed its welcome.

Glad it's over but I don't regret finishing it.

Individual issue reviews: #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20

Total review score: 2.2
Kayla Charisse
HOW IS THIS THE END. I NEED FLUFFIN' MOREEEE *sobs* This series was so hilarious, and weird in the best way possible, and I'm so, so sad it's over. Bonus, the art is super vibrant and definitely one of my favorite styles of all time. ...more
Trish
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
So this is the end. Hm ...

Right at the end of the last volume Gertrude was finally good, had completed her quest, received the key, survived the assassins and was almost at the door home. Almost. Then ...

Yup, she died and is now in hell.
But, of course, we needed a reason to bring her back and give her a shot at going home after all so a wicked plan was concocted and only Gertrude can save Fairyland now. In return, she'll be allowed to finally leave the place she hates the most.
Apropos, ever wond
Melissa Chung
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this series at a whole. The last volume in this series was just okay. It was a little convenient, but I guess in Fairyland style it makes sense.

If you like Fairytales, bright obnoxious colors and using fluff instead of the F word, then you are going to love this graphic novel series about a 40 year old stuck in a little girls body. Her resentment and bitterness for the world that she’s been stuck in for three decades is wholesome and endearing. Ha!

What I learned... listen to yo
Mindi
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun graphic novel. Nothing too heavy, and perfect for taking a break from the heavy stuff to do a little pandemic reading.
L. McCoy
Warning: This review contains spoilers for the first 3 volumes of this series. If you haven’t the previous volumes, stop reading this review.

What’s it about?
Gert is dead and she wound up in Hell. Now, Fairyland is very likely to be destroyed by an ultra-powerful, evil being and Gert may be the only one who can save her.
Now Larry and Duncan have to get Gert back from Hell and to Fairyland’s rescue.

Pros:
The story is very interesting. Seeing how this series is wrapped up is something that I was obv
Shadowdenizen
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

This title was a hidden gem, and managed to go out on a high note, at just the right time, and on just the right terms l, with an appropriately bittersweet ending.

I certainly hope to see more spinoffs or one-shots in this universe. (Maybe something about Duncan Dragon, who was my favorite supporting character.)
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
What a bittersweet ending. My fluffin’ heart..
Victoria ♡
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I meannnn this volume was really good just the ending...I'm not disappointed per se....just surprised? I hope the series gets picked back up for a sequel sometime cos I really enjoy the art and the writing! ...more
Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader
The three previous volumes were all 5 star reads but unfortunately, this one was a let-down. The ending was rushed, and while Gert was as funny as ever, everything just felt a bit off. It was a disappointing ending to an otherwise amazing graphic novel series.
Kayla (onthefritz)
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
”…ah, you know what? Fuck Fairyland.”

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Whyyyy did it have to end!! 😭😭😭
Drewthereader20
I loved this book! A very quick and easy read. So happy I got to read this a little bit early!(:
Bexnbookx
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Bit of an anticlimactic ending if I’m honest. RTC
Andrea Way
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fluff my life, I cannot believe this series of graphic novels are over. I have loved each and every volume of this amazing series. I will miss Gert, Larry and the gang. This was a bittersweet goodbye to a series that has made smile from ear to ear from start to very end. Will defiantly pick up Skottie Young's next series. ...more
Alissa
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fluffin' FABULOUS conclusion to this fluffin' FABULOUS comic! It reminds me of Ren & Stimpy and South Park and all those kick-sass shows I loved growing up (and still love as an adult). You know...the ones that warped the fragile little minds of an entire generation back in the 1990s. I'm fluffin' grateful to Skottie Young for continuing this tradition...especially in a time when the plague of extreme political correctness and over-sensitivity has turned the general population into parano ...more
Christine
It is a good end to a series I don't want to end. Still, nothing beats the third volume. ...more
Devann
I don't know if I just wasn't in the right mood or what, but I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as the other volumes in this series. The whole thing felt really disjointed to me and then it just ended! I almost feel like it would have been better to end the series with volume 3 because this one doesn't really bring a lot to the table. Oh well, it was still fun while it lasted. ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Gert is in Hell. I mean, I know being in Fairyland for nearly 40 years has been Hell enough, but now she’s literally in Hell, dead and gone and at the mercy of Fairyland’s version of the Devil. But when Horribella resurrects one of Gert’s worst enemies, Gert herself is the only one who can save the land she hates so much! Pity about the whole being dead thing, I suppose…

I Hate Fairyland has been a weird book. Escalation is the name of the game, with every arc getting more and more insane as Gert
Ashley

I can't believe it's the end. I don't want it to be the end. Why does it have to be the end!?!?
This Volume was very fast. I think, but don't quote me, that it was shorter than all the other previous Volumes, and that's always a troubling sign for me. I want the last Volume to be the thickest of them all. I want the characters' last adventure to be big and epic, and comfort me as we go on one final journey together.
I'm very sad that I Hate Fairyland is over for the simple fact that I love it. Thi
Morgan
I did not realize this was the last volume. I kind of want more, but I thought the ending fit the story. I feel like if there was anymore volumes this comic book would lose it's spunk. The highlight of this volume was the very last page actually. (view spoiler) I think this volume ended too quickly though. There wasn't much story to work with, but feel like there could have been some extra story added rat ...more
Leah
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Here we are, finally at the end. I really enjoyed this volume! It wrapped up relatively well, and I really appreciate the growth Gert had here.

Plus, with all the mayhem, this may be my favorite of the series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Nailbiter, Vol. 7: Nailbiter Returns
  • Farmhand, Vol. 1: Reap What Was Sown
  • Joker: Killer Smile #3
  • Saga, Vol. 9
  • A Complex Accident of Life
  • Unnatural, Vol. 3: Rebirth
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
  • High Fantasies (Rat Queens, #4)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • Unnatural, Vol. 2: The Hunt
  • Unnatural, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • If You Died Tomorrow I Would Eat Your Corpse
  • The Once and Future King (Rat Queens Vol. 7)
  • The Colossal Magic Nothing (Rat Queens, #5)
  • Farmhand, Vol. 2: Thorne in the Flesh
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples
  • Farmhand, Vol. 3: Roots of All Evil
Skottie Young has been an illustrator and cartoonist for over ten years working for entertainment and publishing companies such Marvel, Warner Bros., Image, Upper Deck, Mattel, and many more.

He is currently illustrating the New York Times Best Selling and Eisner Award Nominated adaptions of L. Frank Baum's OZ novels with writer Eric Shanower. The series has gained acclaim from both fans and criti

I Hate Fairyland (5 books)
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 1: Madly Ever After