Start by marking “Jenny Finn (Color edition)” as Want to Read:
Jenny Finn (Color edition)

Jenny Finn (Color edition)

London's dockside is threatened by the twin terrors of a plague leaving bodies covered in tentacles and a slasher killing women in the night. Desperate for answers after the wrong man is executed for the murders, a group of Londoners holds a seance to contract the supposed killer, and his story of a girl born of the sea who has brought a terrible curse only brings them ...more
Published June 19th 2018 by Dark Horse Books (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jenny Finn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jenny Finn

Start your review of Jenny Finn (Color edition)
Edward Lorn
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Mike Mignola. I'm a huge fan of Hellboy. So it saddens me to say that this was fucking terrible.

The art was inconsistent. The story was about as much fun as stapling one's genitals to a cactus while taking a lemon-juice shower. The text in the speech bubbles requires 12-times magnification. And I hated every character.

In summation: This is a complete waste of time and money. Luckily, I only paid $1.99 at a clearance store for this waste of shiny paper. I'mma stick with Hellboy, thank you
Sud666
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
"Jenny Finn" was a very strange story. It certainly has a great deal of the hallmarks of a Lovecraftian tale, yet it was penned by Mike Mignola and Troy Nixey. This edition of mine was colored by Dave Stewart.

The story begins with a not terribly bright dockworker named Joe. Joe spots a young looking girl walking around the area and decides to accost her to warn her away from the rough area. He meets Jenny Finn who is not at all what she seems. From here a strange story develops of a murderer
Forrest
This is definitely not up to par with Mignola's best work. Though Jenny Finn exhibits the usual fascination with Victoriana and lovecraftian strangeness (I can relate), and the illustration is excellent, the story feels rushed and shallow. The characters could have been much deeper - there was ample opportunity to slip in bits of dialogue that would have contributed to the backstory - and the wry social commentary on which the story ends should have had more of a buildup in the beginning. I ...more
Quirkyreader
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a weird fast paced story. If there had been more of a backstory to some of the characters, I would have given it 5 stars.
Wing Kee
An amusing little Lovecraftian tale from Mignola that’s high on the tone but low in the depth.

World: The art is great, it sets the tone perfectly for the book, it looks slightly off and especially the humans and the creatures giving the book a very solid feel to work off of. The world building here is basic, it’s a monster tale and there’s not a lot of lore or background to the tale, only what the sailor tells you. There is also not a lot of detail on the secret society so yeah the stage is set
J L Shioshita
This book presents a lot of questions but few answers. It seems to go for tone and concept over story and plot. There's all these interesting ideas that are just that, ideas, because the tale that tries to tie them all together is too threadbare to really merit more than one cursory read. All things considered, it was a bit of disappointment for me, but if you dig Lovecraftian weirdness, or Cronenberg body horror, or Juni Ito's Gyo - then you'll probably find something to like here.
Garrett price
Oct 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Finn is beyond terrible and easily Mike Mignolas worst comic. There is little to no characterization whatsoever, it’s boring as hell, the artwork is good but not great and the ending is a whole new kind of anticlimactic. Do yourself a favor and read “The Doom that Came to Gotham “ if you want to read a somewhat decent comic from this writer and artist, but otherwise just skip this piece of boring crap. I love Mike Mignola and he is a brilliant writer and my personal favorite artist, so I ...more
Quentin Wallace
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know a lot of people didn't like this one, but I thought it wasn't bad. It's not the best thing Mignola has done by any means, but I thought it was entertaining in its own way. Very heavy Lovecraft vibe. It was a little haphazard and could have used more character development, but I'm thinking this was done in the vein of penny dreadful type novels which probably weren't known for deep characters. If you're a fan of Lovecraft "Innsmouth" type stories you might dig the vibe.
Sleeping with Ghosts
Love Lovecraft's style, even Mike Mignola, but this issue is awful and disgusting. Even, I shouldn't read it.
Orrin Grey
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, mignola
As you probably know, and will learn quickly if you don't, I'll read anything that Mike Mignola had a hand in, and I've enjoyed the work that he's done with Troy Nixey in the past. That said, this wasn't a favorite for me.

Victorian-era fish people, spiritualism, pseudo-science, and weird Lovecraftian plots ought to have been a no-brainer, but for some reason none of it gels as well as Mignola's work usually does for me. I'd recommend that all the steampunk/weird fiction/Victoriana aficionados I
Florin Pitea
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. Thankfully, I got it at a discount price. I'll simply give it away.
Alexander Peterhans
I liked this a lot, a lot more than I even expected to. It took me a little time to warm to the art style, and again when Farel Dalrymple took over in the last issue (in a way I think it would've been better if Dalrymple had gone with his own style, instead of emulating it).

The story has a nice creepiness to it, and went down some pretty surprising lanes.

Read as 4 seperate issues.
Malum
2.5 stars.

A common complaint that I have about many graphic novels is that they stretch the story out far too long just to fill pages. Jenny Finn, however, has the opposite problem. The story moves way too fast to really build up any kind of suspense. The art was ok, and I liked the general theme of everything being nautical and almost a tiny bit steampunk.

The biggest problem with this book, however, is the text. It is so small you will be squinting your way through this story.
Devon Munn
While i felt like this could've been longer (like a 6-8 issue miniseries) it was alright. And damn that ending was quite depressing (in a good way)
Lukas Holmes
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a tremendous book! I love when Gothic horror really nails the genre. Part of our reason for being so afraid is that it's so dark and confusing we're lost with no understanding of direction in these type of stories. We aren't sure of character motivations or typical story arc dynamics. One thing I really loved, though I am unclear if it was on purpose, is that we don't really see Joe in clear focus until almost the end when he is finally given a direct purpose. From there out we see his ...more
Kristopher Kelly
A friend suggested I read this after reading some of my stories, and I can see why. The character designs are wonderfully weird, from the Prime Minister to the guy who never puts his feet on the ground to the medium with the creepy mask--not to mention Jenny herself and the excellent scene where she is found in the giant mass of fish-guts--there is some real imagination here.

The story feels rushed. I wish they had more time to explore, but even as short as this book is, it was rich enough in
Jessica Camara
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark graphic novel set in Victorian England, the illustrations and storyline in Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah grab the reader immediately. Something evil is spreading throughout the city like a plague. Jenny Finn and the strange story behind her discovery, existence and connection to the spread of this strange affliction upon the residents of the city will leave the reader wondering and wanting to continue reading this unique series.
Thomas
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is pretty weak, despite obvious draws such as Chuthuloid monsters, fishy harbringers of doom, elements of steampunk and a Jack the Ripper-type killer. Nixey's b/w art is suitably twisted and dark. But it never really takes off, though, and the final chapter is not even drawn by Nixey. A small plus for the gallery of Nixey pinups, but overall not much here.
Adam Luptak
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Didn't love this one. A lot of promise here - a weird plague on the streets of London, ghosts and ancient creatures from the deep... But the art was only okay - the amount of detail (which I would like to love) became cluttered and confusing without color. The story felt very glossed over, leaving me wanting to know more about the origins and motivations of the characters.
Heather
This was an interesting read, but it would've been more compelling if Mignola had delved further into the mythology of Jenny Finn. As it stands, the story feels incomplete because he only skims the surface of what Jenny truly is and what she represents. On the positive side, Mignola's illustration is superb and easily makes up for what is lacking in the story.
Jenny Finn is nicely creepy, steam-punky, and mysterious. Mignola has a very interesting concept here, but the ending felt abrupt and well, odd. The book didn't go where I was expecting it to, but not necessarily in a good way. Maybe there will be more volumes that make more sense.
Melanie
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-trade
Deliciously Steampunk and very HP Lovecraft.
Mark
This spooky Victorian thriller by the creator of Hellboy isn't particularly complex, but has a winsomeness that carries the story. Clients of prostitutes are turning up with gruesome lesions from which emerge tentacles, barnacles and fins. The victims are tended by Jenny Finn, a gentle-but-dour character resembling Emily Dickenson who may be a whore herself. Suddenly, a woman is found dead, and the seaside town turns out to find the murderer. Enter Joseph, besotted with Jenny, who promptly sets ...more
Christian McKay
For a hot second (actually, three chapters), I thought this collection was going to stand far and above the more mediocre Mignola creations. (Don't get me wrong. I really love Hellboy. But the pieces Mignola writes tend to feel a bit deflated.) Yes, Jenny Finn's art's a little stiff. Yes, it borrows heavily from Lovecraft (yawn at this point) without actually saying anything new (quickly becoming an unforgivable sin). But it was creepy and weird and exciting! Then the ending came along and lost ...more
Mark
Feb 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was such a strange time to live in Victorian London. A murderer went around killing and mutilating prostitutes, while various men are being transformed into odd half-man half-sea creatures. No one was safe to walk about town. Unless for a young girl named Jenny Finn. Her walking around as if nothing was wrong caught the attention of an out-of-towner named Joe who can’t help himself but to seek her out and introduce himself. He was concerned for her safety, but nothing is as it seems. Jenny ...more
Brian Dickerson
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The new edition with colors by Dave Stewart is so beautiful. And, I never realized when I read the previous edition that Farel Dalrymple drew the last issue. He matched Nixey's style wonderfully.

I liked the story, I really didn't recall much of it from my previous read, but it was quick, quirky, and satisfying.

The guest family from another famous tale in the last panel was the cherry on top. It means nothing I suppose but it was a fun treat.

Get the color edition and reread it if you have not
David King
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I picked up the first issue at Atomic Comics while on vacation.It was great! Very Lovecraftian. As soon as I could I ordered the complete story arc of Doom Messiah. Could not put it down. Story is top rate, eerie, macabre and yet there is that Mignola humor. "DOOM" The art work of Troy Nixey and Farel Dalrymple is perfect. I instantly began creating make-up to look like 'fish people.' I'm not going to say anything about the plot. You'll know by thumbing through it if it's for you.
Jamie Connolly
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I read this in single issue format. I was real keen on the art. Loved it actually even though it’s not normally my kinda style. The story lacked for something. A conclusion for one thing. I guess it ended up not really knowing what it was about. I figured the ending would put it all together but it left too many cards on the table. Otherwise it was ok I guess. I’ve come to expect much more from Mike Mignola though. 3 generous stars. Felt bad giving the 2 stars it probably deserved.
David Harlan
It’s a 2.7, but I am rounding up out of an enduring love for Mike Mignola. This is a squiddy, fishy story that is devoid of any loveable or memorable characters. The story is also a bit thin. it mashes up Jack the Ripper, Lovecraftian horror, and some campy Dickensian London. It wasn’t quite funny, and also wasn’t scary, and if there another book featuring the same cast I would probably skip it.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
2.75
I can't help but feel a little cheated here. Mignola's story was interesting from start to finish but I'd picked Jenny Finn up intending to enjoy his art as well as his writing. Nixey feels like a cheap imitation and I've hated Dalrymple's work the first time I saw it in Wrenchies. Had Mignola illustrated this himself I feel it would have been better received.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Likely Stories
  • A Study in Emerald
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
  • Harrow County, Vol. 8: Done Come Back
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began