Start by marking “New Super-Man, Vol. 3: Equilibrium” as Want to Read:
New Super-Man, Vol. 3: Equilibrium

New Super-Man, Vol. 3: Equilibrium

(New Super-Man #3)

Shanghai is under siege. Emperor Super-Man rules the streets. And Kong Kenan--the New Super-Man--is running out of options.

Kenan's mind is reeling from revelations about his parents. Meanwhile, his teammates in the Justice League of China are dropping one by one. And from across the globe, Task Force X Director Amanda Waller has sent in the one force that can stop the chao
Published June 19th 2018 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about New Super-Man, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Super-Man, Vol. 3

Chad
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I want to like this series more than I actually do. The characterization is paper thin and the storytelling uneven. There's no weight behind anything. I like Gene Luen Yang's solo work, but his DC work is just not very good or compelling. I'm just bored with the majority of it.
James DeSantis
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
So this is the end of "New Super-man" solo title. The next time we see him he'll be New Super-man and the Justice League of China! So how was this? A pretty fun send off but not as great as I hoped.

So in this one we have a Khan who is far more focused on what he must do. He's still learning to use his powers and still on his chase to be the best he could be HOWEVER he now has a more family dynamic to cover. Especially with his recent findings on his mother. Also the flash of china, bat-man of c
Wing Kee
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
So not good.

World: The art is okay, it’s solid middle of the road current DC, I wished the characters would be a bit more detailed and the costumes could be a bit more consistent but that’s fine. The world building here is fairly choppy and slap dash. I do like the China setting most of the time but someone who lives in Asia I will tell you that there are a lot of things that don’t look and make sense to people who live in China (like me). That being said, it is amusing but also sometimes annoy
Robert
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. They try, but a lot of the Chinese cultural concepts seem to be larded on as an afterthought or used as a bludgeon to lecture the reader with, not integral parts of the story, and the utter ignorance of a Chinese reporter working for a Chinese company talking about winning a Pulitzer is off-putting coming from a supposedly professional writer who should know it is a limited, American prize.
Kris Ritchie
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Loved, loved the cover issue art throughout this trade. Even though the Yin/Yang storyline brought a neat aspect to the storytelling, it was not really the best sendoff for Kenan. Hopefully the new team title (although TBH, this already felt like one) will still give him a chance to shine. I will say, however, that Kenan's realization on why he will not judge Americans and "those people" was a great character development moment.
Jimmy
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third volume and final volume of a fun series. I’m not usually a fan of Superman but this “New Superman” has really been a delight to read. This particular volume collects issues 13 through 19. I was actually looking forward to this volume to come out; something very rare for me with comics. I really am a fan of the writer Gene Yang and he does not disappoint in this book.
One of the big reason why I enjoyed this series is because this is different than the typical Superman: While the
Ben Truong
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This trade paperback picks up where the previous volume left off, collecting the next seven issues (13–19) of the 2016 series.

New Super-Man, Vol. 3: Equilibrium covers three stories: "Shanghai Under Seige", "Equilibrium", and "Day in the Life of a Shanghai Reporter".

"Shanghai Under Seige" is a two-issue story that has Kenan Kong and the Justice League of China battling Superman Zero who has rechristened himself as Emperor Super-Man – the one and rightful person in China to bear the Superman titl
M
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Gene Luen Yang uses the third and final New Super-Man volume to complete his character’s arc. Following the revelation that both his parents are alive, Kong Kenan has seen his world shattered. His city is under siege by Emperor Super-Man, his Justice League teammates are scattered, and the Suicide Squad is in town. Determined to end the crisis, Super-Man must regain his focus - and master his abilities - to win the day. A vision then send the JLC to Metropolis to recover an artifact. Tussles wit ...more
Adam Fisher
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
This Volume was pretty good once I remembered where the story left off...
Emperor Super-Man (actually the Ministry's Super-Man Zero) is still reigning in Shanghai. The JLC (New Super-Man, Bat-Man, Flash and Wonder-Woman) are fighting against him, but are interrupted by the arrival of Suicide Squad, who are not only authorized to kill the self-proclaimed Emperor, but also Kenan! The fight continues and tapers off...

Kenan is then taken by All-Yang (the opposite version of his mentor I-Chi
Scott Lee
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid if not spectacular. The first half of this book ends the Emperor Superman arc begun last volume. Kenan continues to work on his Chi, and the league gets back together with Flash finding a way to help Wonder Woman return to form. The "shock" ending (for Kenan) of volume 2 is dealt with and confirmed. The Great Ten are brought in and join the Justice League of China against Emperor Superman and the criminals he freed while escaping.

The second half follows Kenan and co. to America again, as
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I'm actually rooting for this book. In the first place, I never thought of even giving it a chance, and then I checked it out, and I just couldn't stop.
It has lots of action, but not senseless (it's not a Transformer movie), the dialogues are dead on, and the characters are not too complex, yet so likeable.
The end of this storyline marks the "end of an era" as the book gets retitled for the next volume. My guess is that it was struggling with sales at the moment. Too bad fandom d
Sesana
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superhumans
In the end, Kenan's character development was really uneven and wrapped up too quickly and neatly. This volume also suffered from way too many guest stars: the entire Justice League and the Suicide Squad, who seem to show up in every mid-tier DC book sooner or later, plus a good half dozen other characters that at least put in cameos.
B
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Seems a little rushed.

This book worked when we saw the characters' emotions. It works a lot less when it tries to tell too many stories.

That Slam Bradley passage (although it didn't really make sense in the story) was really good and thought-provoking.
Joe
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like what they are doing with the JLA China.
Daniel Butcher
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-rebirth
3.5.

Interesting take using Chinese culture and history to update a classic model.
Jipi Perreault
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bande-dessiné
The 3rd installement of a promising series. Unfortunatly, passed a certain point, the art suffers a downgrade. Still some fun moments.
Andrea
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-dc-rebirth
I really like this series, and I'm not at all happy that it's been cancelled. I really like that they're their own characters and not rehashes of pre-New 52 characters.
Laura Lawson
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am liking this series more as I read them.
John Yelverton
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was just a slip shod run through of New Super-Man versions of old Superman stories with a hearty helping of white shaming thrown in to boot.
Joe Bogue
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series and was sorry to see it cancelled. I'll be the first to admit that the issues contained in Volume 3 have some pacing problems, especially the "Zero Ultimatum" arc. However there are so many great moments contained within the issues in this volume that the pacing problems are easy to overlook. Up until issue 13 (the first comic in this volume) the story has focused on Kong Kenan and his allies have for the most part been background characters. In the issues contained in the vol ...more
Ryan Frick
Dec 12, 2018
Barry Justin
Apr 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He