Start by marking “Bombshells: United, Vol. 1: American Soil” as Want to Read:
Bombshells: United, Vol. 1: American Soil

Bombshells: United, Vol. 1: American Soil

(Bombshells: United #1)

The DC Bombshells unite in this collection BOMBSHELLS UNITED VOL. 1, continuing the hit franchise!

Author Marguerite Bennett (DC BOMBSHELLS, BATWOMAN) unites the women of DC BOMBSHELLS in an alternate history tale with Wonder Woman on the front lines of battle.

The Bombshells are back in an all-new series! As our new tale begins, the year is 1943 during WWII, and Wonder Woma
Published July 3rd 2018 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Bombshells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bombshells

The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

Thus, we being with the first collection of the final series of DC Bombshells. I’m still livid and bitter that this series was cancelled, but I’m going to see it through and enjoy it/support it until the very end. What I found most fascinating when I read about the “Bombshells United” series is that this one isn’t going to just look at the ills that foreign nations committed during WWII, but also the rotten things that happened on the home front, an
Jess
I didn't care much for the art in here, but I like a lot that they told the story of internment. I'm very curious to see where this second "season" goes, even if I am also daunted by the prospect of even more characters. There are so many characters!!!!!
Grace
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love it, I love it, I love it.
The artwork is beautiful and while it is a little twee and all American, I really enjoyed the story and am excited to see where the storyarch goes.
Brandt
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
In the early 1970, both Marvel and DC Comics challenged the Comics Code Authority (established after the publication of Seduction of the Innocent asserted that comic books were harmful to children) by running stories that featured drug addicts. The Marvel entry (at the behest of the precursor to U.S. Health and Human Services) drew the ire of the CCA, who would not approve the story, which Marvel published anyway without the approval of the CCA. DC upped the ante by allowing the creative team of ...more
Ithil
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT.

Yep yep yep. That’s how I like it.
An amazing story with some kick-ass incredible ladies. The plot is very interesting and intriguing but the best for me has been the style of the drawings and the colouring. I looks amazing and with the plot and the design it just matches perfectly. The quality of the drawings is quite irregular, I do have to say, some are absolutely stunning and some other are not quite right, I guess due to perspective.

I’ll be definitely looking forward for more issu
Melissa
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This volume was pretty disappointing for me. I really enjoyed the previous run of the Bombshell series, but this just didn't hold up. All of the conflicts were solved with the power of "love." *Gag* this was just too saccharine for me. I'm all for having compassion, but it's okay for some butt-kicking every now and again too. Here's hoping the next volume will be better.
Joana Veríssimo
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I definitely didn't like this as much as the original series. The big difference is that this one feels smaller, handling one single thing, while before we would see the entire field of the war, and I found more interesting to see what was happening everywhere from the US, to Europe and the USSR.
Also the Wonder Girls are not my superheroes of choice, especially since I didn't even know them before now...
And while I can't really recommend this one to everyone, the original Bombshells is excellent
Melissa
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
What a let down! I loved the DC Bombshells alternate universe when they set the story in Europe to fight the Nazis, so I had high expectations that when they set the spin-off story in the US to fight some of the war time prejudice and certain actions taken by the US government. I got crap is what I got. The story takes place in the forests of Washington state after Wonder Woman saved a train full of Japanese immigrants and Japanese-Americans from going to a concentration camp in the desert. The ...more
Emily
I'd put my actual enjoyment of this around 2.5, but I'm rounding up for the nice artwork, representation, and subject matter.

We are going to rewrite history.

American Soil is set in the US during WWII, specifically set around Executive Order 9066: Japanese Internment. This is a re-imagining of American history, in which superheroes like Wonder Woman, joined by a rebellious group of Japanese American women, stand up and fight against the American government's attempts to round people up and put
Chris Lemmerman
[Read as single issues]
The war is over, but the Bombshells’ work is never done. Wonder Woman attempts to rescue some POWs, but even with the aid of Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark, she may not be able to stand against the might of Clayface and the Mud Pack. Plus, who is the mysterious Dawnstar?

After the big conclusion of the previous series, we’re back to more intimate stories exploring individual characters rather than the sweeping narrative that Bombshells adopted near the end of its first run
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have a hard time rating this volume. I was confused to where it was picking off since it’s a continuation of the other main series. I didn’t like this volume as much. You will notice that I still gave it 5 stars however. I didn’t personally like the entire story was basically just Wonder Woman and the various wonder girls (I still didn’t recognize 3 of them but I’m guessing at one point in time they worked with or as wonder girl). I liked the introduced of Cassie and Donna. But the arc felt lo ...more
Cale
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Telling the story of the Japanese internments during World War II is a key part of our American History that often gets overlooked. Unfortunately, the presentation of this story is just terrible. The dialogue is clunky, the action is weak, and the story is all over the place. There were several characters who I couldn't distinguish even by the end of the story. I think the format it was initially presented in did it no favors, and while it was n ...more
ElphaReads
The next series starring the Bombshells starts off with a deep dive into the ills that the American Government committed against it's citizens: The Japanese Internment Camps. I'm very pleased that Bennett tackled this theme with her first collection of BOMBSHELLS: UNITED, because it shows self awareness that while the Bombshells are absolutely fighting for good during WWII, our own Government had it's own horribly policies.

That said, I think that this was the weakest of the collections thus far
Rebalioness
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved the first series, even with the mess that was the Russian battle. I had to give up on this one after the battle with Clayface. After the fight with Clayface, prepare for a galactic 'magic carpet' ride, courtesy of Dawnstar, to "unite the minds' of everyone.

The story line opens with the internment of the Japanese on the home front. Good topic.

However,

The art looks like it was photocopied from a watercolor sketchbook, and is very washed out. The continuity jumps back and forth, with the
Veronica
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The Bombshells take on the home front, with Wonder Woman coming to the aid of Japanese American citizens who have been sent to internment camps. DC Bombshells suffers from a continually expanding cast of characters that doesn't allow for much in the way of development of the ones who have already been introduced -- we get SO MANY new characters in this volume, most of them extremely obscure in the wider DC canon (and then the only one who's recurring besides Wonder Woman is Paula von Gunter? Uhh ...more
Craig Little
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A soft reboot/sequel to the Bombshells comics, this volume mostly focuses on a single story and location, rather than the more disparate approach of earlier Bombshells volumes.

This focus storyline takes place on the titular "American Soil," and refers to one of the sins of the US during WWII - interment of Japanese-Americans. The intervention of Wonder Woman and her fellow Bombshells does make a difference.

The downside of the narrow focus on one storyline is that it makes the final part of this
Drucilla
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
An issue that the original Bombshells series had was that by the end, the cast was just so big the story felt a little bloated and it was sometimes just a few panels. This series seems to aim to start fresh. With the exception of Wonder Woman ((view spoiler)), it's an all new cast of characters. This is a good idea except (as someone who's not super familiar with DC's catalog) now I'm a little lost. I don't really know any of these characters...

It's still a
Emma
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, graphic-novel, dc
3.5 stars. I wasn't too keen on the first half of this volume. I'm not a huge fan of Clay Face so I struggled to get into the story. I did however love the introduction of Dawnstar, and the art in this volume was amazing. The colours and backgrounds used with Dawnstar were stunning. The last volume was by far my favourite. So excited that we got to preview Green Lantern, The Flash, Starfire, and a few other new characters. Still by far my favourite series as it's so diverse and includes such an ...more
Nikki
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-singles
This is a little bit of a let down after the first series. The story was good, just drawn out a bit too long. The first 5 issues they’re fighting Clayface, and it just felt very slow. It the 6th issue is anything to go by though, I think this series is going somewhere exciting. I’m hoping the art gets a bit better, because I loved the art of the first series.
Meg
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need? the next volume? like right now?
Again - I love this series just as I do the original bombshells run, even though this is the first readthrough and I'm hanging on for the next couple of volumes
I cannot wait to see what happens next
WaterstonesBirmingham
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love it, I love it, I love it.

The artwork is beautiful and while the story is a little twee and all American, it is well written and i am excited to see where the storyarch goes and how the newer characters are developed.

Grace
Katie
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was so excellent. My husband's grandparents were both incarcerated in the camps during WW2, so this alternate take on history was very powerful. I hope we can all take the lessons of what should have been to heart, so we once again do not repeat it.
Kb
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It's a nice aspirational hope for the US. But I am most excited about Jessica Cruz joining the gang in the last issue.
Daniel Butcher
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
While I appreciate the historical context the story is a bit flat for me.
Lisa
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
For me these fell flat. 😞
Cameron Toney
So we start a new arc in this story, and it seemed to be more of the same.
The ideas? Great!
The characters? Interesting!
The plot? Disjointed!
Hmm.
Edward Davies
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty fun volume, but the artwork chopped and changed way too much in the second half. I guess that's the curse of online comic books where two issues online are one comic book form.
Ma'Belle
There's some great stuff in this volume - mostly the political messaging - but the overall script isn't nearly as solid as the first Bombshells series.
Sesana
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Weird and somewhat confusing ending. Otherwise, I liked the concept of turning Wonder Woman's attention towards the American homefront and especially towards Japanese internment.
Jason
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
I didn't really care for the art in this and the story couldn't save it. Just not my kinda comic I guess.

• Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 2: Source Code
  • A-Force, Volume 1: Hypertime
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 10: War Stories
  • Marvel's Iron Man 3 Prelude
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 7: Last Call
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 2: Agents of G.I.R.L.

Bombshells: United (3 books)
  • Bombshells: United, Vol. 2: War Bonds