Start by marking “Thanos, Vol. 3: Thanos Wins” as Want to Read:
Thanos, Vol. 3: Thanos Wins

Thanos, Vol. 3: Thanos Wins

(Thanos (2016) #3)

Ask the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe how they fear the universe will end, and in their most honest moment, they will answer with two words: "Thanos wins." And now, it looks as though that disturbing thought is about to become a horrifi c reality! See what happens when the Mad Titan gets his way! Will he cause the cosmos to spiral downward into chaos and ...more
Published July 10th 2018 by Marvel Comics

Start your review of Thanos, Vol. 3: Thanos Wins
Sam Quixote
Sep 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Thanos: a giant purple monster with a thing for power gems and a love of hot skeleton pants Death. In a stunningly original turn, Donny Cates writes a story where, thanks to a power gem, Thanos chases after Death’s love. Did I say original? I meant unimaginative!

I don’t understand what there is to enjoy about the turd that is Thanos Wins. Thanos punches a variety of characters, including an old version of himself (literally the supervillain equivalent of the schoolyard bully taunting “Why’re
Paul E. Morph
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now, I normally hate Thanos. As a lifelong Marvelite, I actually find the amount of page space Marvel gives what is essentially Jim Starlin's knock-off of DC's Darkseid character a little depressing.

This Thanos book, however, was such an action-packed, messed up riot of a tale that I found myself enjoying it despite it being a Thanos story. I could even forgive it for being YET ANOTHER BLOODY TIME TRAVEL STORY, it was that good.

The highlight of the book for me? The revelation of the identity of
Chad
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hoopla, 2019
I didn't seem to enjoy this as much as most of my friends. Thanos gets transported to a future where he's won, destroying most of the galaxy and meets his future self. From there it goes exactly where you expect the story to go. It's just a so-so story that turns into a big punch em up for a while.

Cosmic Ghost Rider is an OK character, but who he is, makes no sense. He's basically characterized as Cosmic Deadpool, cracking jokes. His past self is the complete opposite in character. He's (view
Artemy
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
I’ve heard nothing but great things about Donny Cates’ volume of Thanos, so while I’m still impatiently waiting for Infinity War to premiere in my country, I decided to check it out. And it’s... fine, I guess. The artwork is pretty, the concept is kinda cool (although I feel like it‘s ripping off the first two volumes of Jason Aaron’s Thor: God of Thunder), and there are some interesting ideas here. Then again, Thanos himself is such a snooze — he’s like an annoying emo teenager who likes death ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, marvel, superhero
Friggen bonkers! I read this so I could get the origin story of Cosmic Ghost Rider and I have to tell ya...I wasn't disappointed.

Donny Cates is on fire right now and with good reason. If Marvel is smart they will continue to let him do whatever it is he wants to do.

Artist, Geoff Shaw is on picture duty (He worked with Cates on God County) and once again he nails every single panel. The book was a delight to look at.

Although there wasn't a whole lot of depth here the fun factor fired on all
James DeSantis
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Donny, stop, I'm serious. It's like I want to read something bad from you so I'm not completely fucking jealous of how good you are.

Okay enough of me fanboying.

Who is Thanos? Well after infinity War the dude has lunchboxes so I'm sure 90% of people reading this know who he is now. The big purple guy who killed a lot of people. Well now he's sent from a special someone in the future to help him fight. Who else could it be but OLD MAN Thanos. yes. I shit you not. Old Thanos has killed pretty
Cheese
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent story and a great ending.
Roy
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Donny Cates takes the reins after lemires starting run at Thanos. Where Lemire brought all his own tricks to this character, Cates makes this own and more. Cated adds a zense of horror to the story which is his forte and its amazing. Thanos has never been so mad and evil. The artwork complimented the story but the story was pure genius storytelling. Highly recommend this series!!
Matthew Quann
What a hell of a lot of fun. Thanos Wins is, more or less, an alternate reality story in which Thanos has finally defeated all the heroes of the Marvel Universe and eliminated most life in the Universe. Our modern day Thanos is brought face-to-face with his victorious counterpart through some time stone-shenanigans and copious violence ensues.

While I'll admit that there's not a whole lot of depth to the story, it is immensely satisfying from a comics' nerd perspective (Cosmic Ghost Rider! Death
47Time
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap,these battles are epic AF! The end of the universe never looked as good. The cast is nice and small, featuring some of the most powerful beings in the universe. We get their backstories and quickly return to thepreparation for the final battle. Even though it may not sound like it, it was all fueled by love.

Thanos is captured by CosmicGhost Rider and brought into the future where he meets his older self. King Thanos requireshelp in finding his long lost love,Death. To do this he must
Jakub Kvíz
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
While Lemire's vol. 2 was already a bit boring for me Cates just put the pedal to the metal and took me for an entertaining ride.

So almost everything is dead and destroyed thanks to Thanos but he's still not satisfied as his love, Death, is not satisfied either. He sends his "Black Right Hand" to fetch his younger self to help him kill the last opponent, The Fallen One.

The story is well written, the origin of Cosmic Ghost Rider is really cool and so is the Rider himself.

The only shame about
Lukas Holmes
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's walking on well worn ground, time traveling Thanos who fights with himself, yet it is still very entertaining and well executed.
Dimitris
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yeah.... This made me wanna read everything/anything that has "Donny Cates" in it. So... I'd say that's a good thing!

Highly recommended. The whole series. Especially if you're a Thanos fan.
Mike
Y’see? So much more fun than that traditional cosmic Marvel shite that Jeff Elmore was attempting in volume 1 of this series. So much less pomp and posturing, more to the point of seeing a character struggle with something, even if it’s just struggling against himself.

Hell, for a Marvel Legacy book, this was pretty good.
Craig
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really good, even though the story is kind of a downer (seriously, what is all this fascination with Thanos?). Great artwork throughout by Geoff Shaw--this is a real step up from his work on Buzzkill and even God Country. About the only drawback (and what kept this from being a 5-star review) is the inclusion of the Thanos Annual, which detracts from the otherwise downbeat, somber nature of the rest. Cates is a great writer and this is one of the best things he's done...
Garrett
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Works better as a thought experiment than as any kind of actual "story." Back in the day, this would have been a "What If?" or an alternate reality, and as it pans out, it still kind of is one of those things. It's gorgeously rendered, pointlessly gory and violent, and if heroism is your thing, this is not for you. Does go into some interesting tangents before cycling back to something that doesn't really feel like the Marvel Universe, but still kind of works.
Chris Lemmerman
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]
When Thanos finds himself at the end of time, he's shocked to discover that not only are most of the heroes in the universe are dead, but the person responsible for this mass genocide is...himself? And now his future self needs help with one final quest. Plus: meet the Cosmic Ghost Rider!

Donny Cates does it again. I swear, this guy doesn't even know how to write a bad comic. His take on Thanos, both his present and future selves, is intense, and I love how he manages to
Matt
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Collects Thanos (2016) issues #13-18 and Thanos Annual (2018) issue #1

This is a great story that gives us a glimpse into the future. What truly happens if Thanos wins? This collection shows us the future of various Marvel characters, and introduces us to the Cosmic Ghost Rider. Loved it.
Rory Wilding
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When it comes to comic book movies, Marvel Studios has been the current dominator for a number of years and 2018 has been no exception with three very successful movies from the cultural phenomenon Black Panther to the fourth-highest-grossing film of all time, Avengers: Infinity War. In regards to the latter, it showcased how evil Thanos the Mad Titan is, in his journey where he really thinks he's the hero he's committing mass genocide across the universe. Throughout that film, you just love to ...more
Cyan The Clockwork Fangirl
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually really liked this! There were a few moments that were so violent and cruel and almost had me cringing from the sheer intensity of it (which is very rare for me), but I really liked it!

The storyline was great (I'm finding that I really love Donny Cates' work), the art was top notch, and the characters were so well thought out. I thought the ending was interesting and the events in the Annual at the very end of this trade had me low-key shocked while still chuckling. It was unexpected,
Anthony
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
This was a looooooot of fun! Loved the future-esque takes on the characters. The craziness of it all. The stakes and the personal side it had to Thanos. One of the better comics on the character I've read.
Heidi Lil' Chip
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read half of this in late January but my friend wanted to borrow it before i got to finish it, so I had to wait a few weeks to continue. But it definitely was worth the wait! I love Cosmic Ghost Rider! And the annual at the end! :D
Jamie Connolly
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Totally awesome. Donny Cates is a genius. 5 stars.
Laura Lawson
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A great wrap-up to the story. A lot of twists that were cool. Ghost Rider and Silver Surfer!
Rachel
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent! Such great writing, and had so many emotions. Ghost Rider was my favorite character.
Zack! Empire
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel-comics
Loved, loved, loved this! So much fun! It's great to see creators just go crazy like this and tell really fun stories. It's kind of a shame that the only way to do that is to have it set in an alternate future, or whatever, but those are the breaks.
There were a lot of really fun moments in here. I kept thinking, they can't top this, but then I flip the page and it gets even crazier.
I'm definitely going to be picking up more stuff by this creator team.
Zachariah
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay....

Thanos kicking Thanos's ass. With some poetic prose behind it. The only thing missing was his rock collection.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s hard to believe that I picked up this series because of an author that helped write the annual issue…yet here I am; three volumes later, and very happy that I took the time to read it all.
When I first heard that Thanos was getting his own series, I was interested…but also unsure about how it’d be. Now I’m certain that it was worth the read, and I think I can see how it was helping to set up for Infinity Wars, though that’s pure speculation at this point.
When you see a title like the one
Xander Haan
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanos Wins - 5/5 's

It's really weird for this to come out of my mouth, but time-travel stories are starting to hold their own all of the sudden. Thanos Wins is an amazing volume of Thanos and stands as a great example as to what time travel stories should be. Plus, to be honest, I skipped Thanos volumes 1 and 2 before this and it made perfect sense. This is a standalone story that has a lot to offer.

Obviously, I've talked about time travel a lot. Time travel stories can feel very repetitive.
Bram Ryckaert
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-tier
Yes, Thanos Wins! A triumph! This is the best comic involving Thanos I've read, with quite a margin too. So delightfully insane, so amazing. I felt nothing but unbridled joy reading this series. I also realized that so many superhero books fail to live up to their potential and could be as fun as what Cates and Shaw do here.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Infinity Wars
  • Infinity Countdown
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 3: Hulk In Hell