Start by marking “Maximillian Villainous” as Want to Read:
Maximillian Villainous

Maximillian Villainous

For anyone who loved Leonardo, the Terrible Monster, this is a humorous and important book about learning to follow your heart and proving that kindness can outweigh villainy any day.

Maximillian Villainous is a monster who doesn't have the heart to be a villain. His famous family pulls pranks on the likes of Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, and Max spends his time undoing
Published August 28th 2018 by Running Press Kids

To ask other readers questions about Maximillian Villainous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximillian Villainous

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, cybils
Maximillian's family is disappointed in Max's level of villainousness, especially when he decides to get a rabbit as a pet. The family forces him to do some villainous deeds to save the family name. And Maximillian cleverly outsmarts them.

This story is filled with clever wordplay and fun illustrations. I especially reveled in the unexpected ending.
Tara Luebbe
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book about a sweet monster just trying to be himself in an evil family. There is lots of fun puns in the text and the illustrations are adorable. Love this one.
Sylvia
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Maximillian Villainous can't live up to his villainous family's brand because he can't help being helpful. When he brings a home a bunny for a sidekick, his family gives him an ultimatum: he can only keep him if she fulfills their list of villainous tasks to prove they're a devious duo. Can Max do this? Kids will love to follow Max as he attempts to meet his family's demands while staying true to himself.
Kate Narita
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute story that could be easily added to a holiday basket. Teachers and parents who have kids build leprechaun traps will totally want to check this story out. But what I like even more than the tip-of-the-hat to the various holidays, is the humorous and insightful play on words. Throughout the book, the adults use clever turns of speech, but in the end, it's Max who uses his knowledge of language and his creativity to turn he and his pet bunny, Bart, into a truly devious duo.
Rebecca
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun book about a sensitive little monster who tries to be the villain his family wants, and ultimately finds his twist on deviousness. Occasionally I felt like the text was a bit bumpy, like I'd missed a sentence somewhere. Colorful illustrations by Lesley Breen Withrow. Pair with "Leonardo, the Terrible Monster."
Sarah Lynne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a sweet little do-gooder trying to keep his bunny sidekick in his family of villains. The illustrations are super colorful & cute - my kids especially loved the monster family & the underground bunny warren!
Melissa Stoller
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny and clever debut picture book. Max and his sidekick are definitely a devious duo and the ending surprise will leave readers smiling. The vibrant art perfectly complements this very enjoyable story.
Beth
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poor Maximillian doesn't seem to fit in with his family's villainous ways. When his parents give him an ultimatum, he manages to find a way to be villainous in his own kindhearted way.
Baby Bookworm
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Maximillian Villainous, written by Margaret Chiu Greanias and illustrated by Lesley Breen Withrow.

Maximillian is the youngest of the noted Villainous family. His parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. have made the Villainous name proud by doing monstrous misdeeds. But Max just doesn’t seem to have the same streak of trouble in him: he is polite, courteous,
Cathy Mealey
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The monster members of Max’s family cannot understand why he is SO good and not at all villainous, as they are. MAXIMILLIAN VILLAINOUS is kind, helpful and constantly scrambling to make amends for his family’s mischievous misdeeds. When Max brings home a bunny, his family decides to offer him the ultimate test. He must complete three devious, villainous tasks in order to keep his sweet, fluffy and otherwise unsuitable pet.

Max and bunny do try to tackle their tricky To Do list, but they are too n
Kellee
Maximillian’s story primarily focuses on someone being different than their family and how expectations set by others in the family may not fit what another person excels at. As a teacher, I wish I could read this book to so many people because I really struggle with parents and educators expect a kid to be a certain way because they know a sibling or a family member. That isn’t how it always works. I think this same theme could be used to talk about how expectations have to be differentiated in ...more
Sharon Coffey
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Parents naturally want their children to follow in their footsteps. Max Villainous belongs to such a family. Sometimes, their children want to forge a different path in life. Max, tired of the pranks his family pulls on Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Mother Nature doesn’t quite have the heart to be a villain.

One day, Max finds a bunny. Bunny’s as sweet as can be so although Max is enamored with him, Max’s mother delivers three villainous options for Bart and Max to carry out or Bart is history
Christy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Such a cute and clever picture book! Poor little Max is a misfit in his Villainous family, unable to keep up with his relatives' evil ways (and so soft-hearted he tries to repair the damage they cause). When he comes home with a cute little bunny pet, his mom is appalled: "Maximillian, my poison . . . a bunny is NOT a suitable sidekick." She lays down the law: these two must learn to be partners in crime . . . "Otherwise, the bunny hops." There's fun monstery language throughout the story. After ...more
Lauren- The Smile Lines
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to #kidlitexchange for sharing a review copy of this book!
Maximillian Villianous by @margaretgreanias releases August 28th.
This is such a cute story! Max is being pushed to be villainous like his family, but he is such a nice monster! My kids loved the colorful illustrations by @lesleybreenwithrow.
The idea of ‘stealing your heart’ is so adorable! We thought that was certainly better than stealing possessions and making people sad!

This would be an adorable book
Hannah Holt
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Deviously delightful! Max comes from a family of villains, but clearly Max's heart has a soft spot for...everything (including bunnies!). His family is shocked and disheartened by his kind and thoughtful ways. When Max brings home a new pet, his mother sets conditions on its staying in the family. Max must prove that he and his pet can form an evil alliance or the bunny gets the boot.

I love the playful language in this book, like the monstrous pet names: "my poison" and "pretty please with spike
Juliana Lee
Max is Villainous in name only. He is actually anything but villainous. In fact, Max does everything he can to counter his family name and his family's deeds. He gives the tooth fairy his piggy back after his grandfather steals her money and he gives Santa the keys to the family car after his father steals his sleigh. But when Max brings home a bunny for a pet, his family draws the line. Unless he can prove his villainy, he cannot keep the bunny. Not only does Max find a way to keep his bunny, h ...more
Jessie Oliveros
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable and humorous story about a monster who doesn't fit in. In a family of villains, he is just too nice. When his mother says he can keep his new pet bunny on condition he completes certain villainous tasks, Maximillian has to think outside the box and find a creative solution for completing the tasks while not losing himself. My favorite line: "Look a bunny parade!" Lots of funny, laugh out loud moments. The distinctive, bright illustrations lend to the atmosphere of this satisf ...more
Andrea
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
How lovely to read a story where the main character can’t help being kind! Although the theme of a character learning to accept his differences isn’t new, the author has provided a twist by having him come from a family of villains. The ending and solution to his problem was a nice surprise. I really liked the big, colorful illustrations. A nice book for discussions about kindness to others or working towards goals.
Pam
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Max comes from a long line of villains but he doesn't feel wicked. He prefers to be nice and has adopted a bunny as a sidekick. His mom assigns him three evil tasks to keep the bunny. He fails all three the first time but figures out a way to twist them and win the challenge - his bunny brigade "steals" the hearts of their new owners; the new owners cried (happy tears); he became famous for this act.
Clever twist on words and actions. Use to talk about interpreting statements and words.
Sue Hodara
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This book is for anyone who's felt like the "black sheep" of his/her family... or not quite a part of the crowd. This endearing picture book challenges its protagonist, Maximillian, to show his family what he's really "made of."

With the help of his bunny side-kick and a bunny brigade, Max finds a creative solution to his problem and realizes the only way to be, is being true to himself.

A great read-aloud with optimum snuggle potential!

Tina Cho
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Chiu Greanias’s Maximillian Villainous is a clever story with heart. Max comes from a long line of villains, but Max is different, not so villainous. Max wants a bunny which his family thinks is not something a villain should have. But Max is out to prove them wrong. After mom gives him a list of 3 villainous tasks, Max shows his family that having a bunny can be villainous after all. This is such a cute, poignant story that kids will love.
Becky Shillington
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This smart, hilarious book has an endearing main character, a wicked-funny supporting cast, and a plot filled with brilliant twists and turns. Greanias’ lively story pairs perfectly with Withrow’s bright, expressive illustrations—hopefully we’ll hear more about Maximillian Villainous from this dynamic author/illustrator duo!
Wendy Greenley
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebookfic
This story is FUN! Sure, there's an underlying theme of being true to yourself, and good triumphs over evil, but the language is playful ("evil up!") and the characters' attempts to "reform" and become evil are delightfully silly. Paired with adorable illustrations, this book is a winner. The "monsters" are cute and shouldn't scare your little ones.
Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is cute and fun to read. Kids will find it hilarious. The illustrations fit well with the tone of the book. I especially like the silly portraits in Maximillian's home and kept going back to look at them. I love the turn of phrases used by the parents who want Max to follow the family legacy of being villains: "Goodness grates on me!" and "My ray of darkness!"
Michelle Cusolito
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun story featuring Max, who despite being from a family of villains, is actually very sweet. Will he be accepted by his family?
My favorite line in the book is said by Max’s mom when he brings home a cute bunny: “A bunny is not a suitable sidekick.”
My 4 year-old nephew especially enjoyed the illustrations.
Sheri
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maximillian has a problem; he doesn't act or feel like a villain but his family are all villains. And Maximillian must learn to fit in with his new pet bunny. He has three tasks to complete. Fun read-aloud story to children and have them guess what he does and which task he attempts to please his family. The text has some puns in it that are very clever. Fun read aloud to children.
Viviane Elbee
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, puns
Fun book that's slightly reminiscent of Despicable Me and the Minions, except this time it is animals who are part of a villainous family.
Great story that's full of heart. Will also appeal to fans of bunnies.
Kids loved this and voted to give it 5 stars.
Nina
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is a monster to do when his intentions are less than villainous? Maximillian finds a perfect solution to both live up to his family name and not betray his own true nature.
*review from an advanced reader's copy*
Kate Talbot
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kids and I adored this book about learning to fit in, even when you’re different. It’s super funny with great word play and the character and illustrations are adorable. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a story about being true to yourself.
Aidan
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, loose drawings create a magical world where tooth fairies and leprechauns live alongside monsters and bunnies. One monster isn’t feeling too monstrous, but this fun tale has a great twist ending that will bring smiles to all!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »