Start by marking “Little Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Little Apocalypse

Little Apocalypse

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  83 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Monsters aren’t real. Everyone knows that.

When a sudden earthquake strands Celia’s parents out of town, she finds herself on her own in a shaken city. She tries to reach out to other kids around her apartment building. Some of them, like the sad boy named Demetri, seem wary of letting her too close. The others call themselves Hunters. They claim the earthquake was caus
Published 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Little Apocalypse, please sign up.
Rita Hot chocolate is extremely good, and possibly good for when you are sad.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Little Apocalypse
Celia McMahon
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Edelweiss and HarperCollins for the e-arc!

If you're looking for a creepy, atmospherical, Miyazaki-type book, this is the one. I'm not just saying that because the protagonist has my name, but it helps.

What is it about?

Celia is home alone when an earthquake strikes her city. Going against her parent's wishes, she ventures out to reach out to survivors in her apartment building and encounters a boy named Demetri. After talking to the strange boy, she decides to stray outside to find
Misha
"Every monster started with a kid being hurt." (310)
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Celia's parents have lost their university jobs and moved the family to a small island on the East Coast where they both found positions. One weekend, Celia's father has to travel for work and her mother has to go to care for her grandmother, so they trust her alone (with a seven page list of rules!). The next morning, she wakes up to the aftermath of a serious earthquake, and runs into a group of children acting suspiciously on the roof of the building. One of them is a
Mark Buxton
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
My name is Celia, and an earthquake has left me stranded in my apartment building. I met a boy named Dimitri up on my roof, sitting in a circle with some other kids. I'm not sure why his touch left a black mark on my cheek. Later, I met two Hunters named Ruby and Amber who told me about Littles and Bigs, and they said I'm at the center of a prophecy to stop these monsters. Littles are controlled by the Bigs that created them, and Bigs are the most evil and dangerous creatures. Littles have an un ...more
Beth Cato
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, fantasy, middle
I received a gratis copy of this book for reviewing purposes.

Little Apocalypse feels like a delightful mash up of Neil Gaiman and Charles de Lint, all wrapped up in a middle grade package. There's a level of darkness here--a wise, thoughtful look at how adults can make children into monsters--that is accessible to kids, and thoroughly enjoyable for adults as well.

Celia has been awfully lonely in her new city, at her new school. Her solid relationship with her parents can't make up for that. She'
Amanda
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ever got a funny feeling that something was watching you? Or looked and saw something moving at the edge or your sight, then turned, but nothing was there? Maybe you were right. Maybe something was, and it was watching you. Waiting. Patiently. To grab you when you weren't on your guard anymore!

In Little Apocalypse, it's Evil vs. evil! Except, evil is trying to be good? I was hooked from the very first chapter, and loved the originality. Set on an island (one of my favorite things), and featurin
Darla
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for this debut novel that highlights kids battling monsters only they can see. Celia is home alone for the weekend and an earthquake hits her town taking out the electricity and isolating their community from the outside world. She is just thirteen and alone. As she ventures out of her apartment she finds herself drawn into a world where monsters are very real, they keep kids (Littles) as slaves and use them to add more kids to their team. The hunters are regular kids who train to take ...more
Sigh
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#GoodreadsGiveaways

I feel like I would have been really into this book between the ages of 10-13; this would have been my jam. The ending feels a little off to me, but I think that's just my personal tastes and not a fault with the book.

I really like the concept of the Bigs and Littles, especially the Little rebellion who refuse to turn into Bigs and hurt others. Also, the last line of the acknowledgements made me cry when I finished the entire book and read through them.

Also, the way the prophe
Becky B
Celia's parents figure that at 13 she should be able to handle a weekend alone with them out of town. While her parents are out of town (which also means off the island) there's a bad earthquake and electricity and phones get knocked out. Celia handles it calmly. She figures things will be back to normal soon, though she'd like to be able to talk to her parents. She soon notices two different groups of kids gathering around town. Both groups refer to her as the Doom girl and tell her they've bee ...more
Pocket (Pocket in Libraryland)
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
===[ ❤ Story: ]===
The story of Little Apocalypse plays out a lot like a modern day fairytale. The earthquake causes Celia's normal, boring life to become full of adventure, danger, monsters, heroes and villains. And in doing so, it feels less like the book takes place in a "real life setting" and more an alternate universe with its own rules. That's not a fault of the book, as I think the story does well to set up the magic, the littles/bigs, the hunters and the prophecy in a way that's engaging
Liz Friend
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The story: Celia is stranded in a disaster area alone. Even worse, it looks like it’s an unnatural disaster: caused by the two classes of monsters (Bigs and Littles) as they work together to get the girl prophesied to bring them all down before she can make it happen. Celia, who never had any idea monsters were real, is totally unprepared for saving the world...she’d better learn quick, or it’ll be too late.

June Cleaver’s ratings: Language PG; Violence PG-13; Sexual content G; Nudity G; Substan
Debbie Tanner
This story is about Celia, who's parents have just moved to a new town and doesn't really have any friends. Her parents go away for the weekend and there is a cataclysmic earthquake, separating the family and stranding Celia by herself in a town where she doesn't have any friends. She does make friends with a boy named Demetri, who is very mysterious and then two girls, who are hunters of monsters. The rest of the book is basically a giant chase scene and I found the ending really unsatisfying.
Jeff
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, arc, fantasy
I won this ARC in a Goodreads giveaway. This is the first book I've read by the author.

I admit I'm not the target audience for this book but ever now and then it's fun to read a book for younger readers. I loved this book. The characters were likable and the story was great. The pacing and flow made it easy to read and hard to put down. I think I'll give the book to my daughter so she can read it to my granddaughter. I'll be looking for more books by Katherine Sparrow when I need some easy food
Shawn Proctor
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cecilia is a hero that I think every kid needs to know about.

She feels alone in a new city, where she doesn't have friends and hopes to find them, even after an earthquake cuts her off from her parents and sets her off on a harrowing and life-changing adventure in a world where she must learn about herself and discover new strengths she doesn't think she had.

It's a clever and moving novel, and, I believe, will teach kids to face their fears and, just maybe, discover a friend among those things t
Stephanie
A creepy-cool middle grade fantasy packed to the gills with atmosphere, a thoughtful spin on monsters, and a sly, dark-but-kid-friendly sense of humor that speaks directly to tween me, who was too much of a smart alec for her own good. Pick this one up on a moody, rainy afternoon. (Just maybe don't start it late at night...)
Lisa Kizer
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
It bad, not bad at all. I gave this a three because I keep comparing it the awful book I read right before this one. So while it was miles better than that other book, I’m not sure if I’m giving it a fair judgment as itself. The ending battle was rushed but good. I loved the characters especially Demetri.
Emily
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun and actually provided an explanation for why it has to be kids fighting evil. I've always wondered about that. There's also a lot here about friendship and trusting one's own instincts even when your "friends" may disagree.
Lillybug
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! After I finished it, my 12 year old son read (devoured) it. Twice. He recommends it to all of his friends and quite a few teachers. Great story line, loved the plot twists, and the ending! Read this book!
Kirsten
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Started out better than it ended. Initially there was some humor, but that quickly got lost in a darker tale.
Lauren
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like all of Katherine Sparrow’s work, her writing is fun and full of page turning action. This debut is perfect for kiddos with its life affirming and positive approach.
PWRL
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Michelle
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting premise.... I love the line, "Every monster started with a kid being hurt." p. 309
Rebecka  Horn
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely amazing; It has so many twists and turns that I didn't even think to expect!
Sana Lai
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
A great novel for middle graders! It's atmospheric and creepy without anything too scary. I'll definitely recommend this to middle grade fantasy lovers.
Greta
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Good overall, but a little rushed.
Also probably for ages closer to 9-12
Anita McDivitt Barrios
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if magic was more like a hideous virus, bent on transforming children into little demons whose one, overriding desire was to create even more demons out of small children?

That's the premise of Little Apocalypse. Celia moves from Portland to the East Coast and immediately notices Demetri, who gives her one fleeting touch on the cheek with his fingers...but it's enough and nothing can stop the inevitable.

Can Celia and Demetri get to the root of this evil magic and change its course before it
Mary Lehmer

• Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • The Dark Lord Clementine
  • Finding Orion
  • A Wolf Called Wander
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • Nightbooks
  • Tin
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • Sweeping Up the Heart
  • Eventown
  • Caterpillar Summer
  • Words on Fire
  • Bluecrowne (Greenglass House, #3)
  • Girl Detective (Friday Barnes, #1)
  • Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Over the Moon