Start by marking “Tight” as Want to Read:
Tight

Tight

Tight: Lately, Bryan's been feeling it in all kinds of ways . . .

Bryan knows what's tight for him--reading comics, drawing superheroes, and hanging out with no drama. But drama is every day where he's from, and that gets him tight, wound up.

And now Bryan's friend Mike pressures him with ideas of fun that are crazy risky. At first, it's a rush following Mike, hopping turnst
Published September 4th 2018 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Tight, please sign up.

Start your review of Tight
Jarrett Lerner
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most immersive, gripping, eye-opening, and powerfully REAL books I’ve read in some time. With superheroically agile prose, Torrey Maldonado packs a staggering amount into TIGHT’s 177 pages. There is plenty here for EVERY kind of reader to love.
Lorie Barber
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m looking forward to sharing this one with my students in the fall, especially those who like stories in urban settings and characters who face tough choices. I loved the characters’ voices and the development of both Bryan and Mike, and would have appreciated knowing a little more of Pa’s backstory as well. And while I wanted to keep reading about what happened “tomorrow,” the ending presents a great opportunity for readers to think about the choices they might make in Bryan’s place. A defini ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Tight admittedly is one of those books that really isn't for me. I listened to it because I liked the narration and the cover design and try to read as much diverse fiction as I can. That said, I'm a white woman in my 30s, and I wasn't as engrossed as I would have been were I younger. I did think this was excellent, though, and I would encourage librarians to get this into their collections.

First thing that really struck me about Tight is that Bryan's a mamas boy, and he's super not embarrassed
Heidi
It's actually really great to read a book about toxic male friendships in middle school. I feel like this is something we've all acknowledged exists for girls around this age, but clearly it's not limited by gender. Also a fantastic book that feels like YA but is totally MG, which is rare. Would recommend this to fans of Kwame Alexander or Jason Reynolds--the audio is great!
Scott Fillner
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s fresh and will give middle school readers an opportunity to reflect on friendships and choices they make or will potentially make. Look for this one in Sept‬
Lynn Plourde
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strong voice, realistic characters, a great conversation starter for making choices in life when the choices aren't easy.
Amy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've seen quite a few mentions of this book on Twitter and other various social media platforms that I follow for book recommendations and was planning on adding it to my next book order for the library. Imagine my surprise when my December order came in and there it was; apparently, I had already decided to order. I am glad I did and can't wait to share it with my students. This is a perfect introduction to literature featuring diverse characters and settings, paving the way for kids to be read ...more
Clare Lund
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Peer pressure can have serious consequences, which Bryan quickly learns after hanging out with his new friend Mike. A quick, thought-provoking read for ages 10 and up.
Aaron
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I grabbed an ARC of this book from the Book Portage group.
An introspective look at a boy's friendships and the choices he needs to make in order to navigate his way through adolescence, Tight is the story of a sixth grade student growing up in New York City. This emotional, compact story takes us through Bryan's emotions as he knows what makes him happy but is also dealing with what society, his family and classmates expect him to be as he grows from being a boy to being a man. Sometimes these t
Sally Kruger
Bryan loves quiet places and quiet times that allow him to read and draw in peace. Why does that earn him the name Nerd from the other dudes? He likes to hang out with his mom at her work where he gets his own little "office" for homework and reading comics. Why does that seem strange to his frequently incarcerated father?

At the urging of both his parents, Bryan hooks up with a kid named Mike. He and Mike have some common interests - comics and drawing. They love quizzing each other on superhero
Stefanie
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‪Loved how Bryan found his inner peace through comic books, drawing and from the calming presence of Big Will. The way Torrey addresses anger in this story will help many readers. ‬
Bidhi Dangol
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You might not wanna read this for spoilers.

I think this was a great book. I know what kept me up at night wishing I could be reading this book. I think it was mainly because I wanted to see if Mike was a toxic friend or not. I wanted to see what Bryan would do. Def needed more Ava. I seriously cant get over the fact that Little Kevin got caught by the police and Mike did not care at all. I wish it didn't leave me on that cliffhanger though. How did Bryan deal with Mike! I totally felt everything
Paul  Hankins
September 2018 Release.

This is Torrey Maldonado from his website in response to his first book, SECRET SATURDAYS (which this reviewer now needs to pick up): "As a boy, I wrote to distract my mind from the rough realities of my neighborhood and schools. Writing helped me with my problems but it also brought new problems. There was great pressure for me to follow the crowd and the crowd felt writing equaled school and school equaled corny. Where I’m from, young female writers are called nerdy but
Destiny Henderson
Excellent and relatable with a good message without being preachy. Real friends don’t put you down and talk you into reckless things. Peer pressure, anger issues, toxic masculinity/macho-ness (I guess? Bryan hates being called soft), and idolizing the wrong people are touched on expertly. Sometimes, the dialogue sounds the slightest bit cheesy, but I’m not super used to NYer-lingo.

I liked Bryan’s narrative. I understood his feelings and how badly he didn’t want to disappoint anyone. Yooo, that d
Alexandra Mack
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a girl who just graduated from a 4-year urban high school near NYC, I expected to know at least SOME of the slang used in his novel. I'll admit, I knew a bit, but some parts of the book felt to me as if I was reading a completely different language. This would not be a bad thing for people who are used to speaking this way in everyday life, but for those who do not speak this way, I just suggest that you take it slow and really immerse yourself in Bryan's world. You won't be disappointed.

Thi
Susie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great example of an author trying to share some positive ideas, and food for thought for readers after finishing this. I listened to the audiobook, and it was definitely like Maldonado telling a story.

This is the second book in a row that I've listened to that was a contemporary story about a boy befriending someone older that they idolized at first, then grew to distrust. There is a type of suspense in that you are not sure what is going to happen, and if things will go so far that injury or ev
Melanie  Brinkman
Nov 22, 2018 added it
Shelves: own-m
Sometimes it's hard to do what's right. New York City, Sixth-grader Bryan find this out the hard way. He knows the way he likes to live his life : reading his comics, drawing superheroes, and not getting involved in drama. Then one day thanks to his parents, Bryan meets Mike. Mike brings the drama to Bryan's life. Bryan's feelings let him know that he doesn't like the person he's becomes when Mike comes around, but people tell him he needs to be harder, so he goes against his feelings.

Tight is o
Jennifer Hill
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was TIGHT! Bryan is a 6th grade student who is pretty much a quiet, good kid. He loves quietness and chillness. His sister, Ava, is in 9th grade and thinks he is soft. Bryan's mom brings a new kid Mike around for dinner and so it begins... at first Bryan thinks Mike is cool. They share a love of comic books and drawing. Then things take a turn. Mike gets Bryan to skip school, jump turnstiles and hop on subways without paying, throw rocks off of roofs, etc. Bryan knows these things are ...more
Laura Gardner
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to @michelegreen120 for sharing her free copy from @penguinkids to share with @kidlitexchange .
〰️
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫/5 for TIGHT by #torreymaldonado, a beautifully written #mglit book about making tough choices as an inner city youth. This book is out September 4 and belongs in all elementary and middle school libraries. .
〰️
Bryan’s first person narrative is the very best part of this book. It rings true and will get students thinking about the tough choices in their own lives. I read this in on
John
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am certainly not a member of this books target audience. But, I enjoy reading regardless of genre. While some of the dialogue was foreign to me, an a middle-aged white man, it didn’t make comprehension difficult. I enjoyed this story, and think teenage readers would thoroughly enjoy it.

This story shows life in the New York projects from the youth perspective, something I knew next to nothing about. Dealing with a revolving door prison Father, friends both positive and negative, an environment
Zoe's Human
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tight is contemporary middle-grade fiction about choices. In a world of literature inundated with middle-class voices, it's a breath of fresh air to find juvenile fiction that depicts a child from a lower-income environment dealing with real-life challenges. The book offers an honest examination of how friendships can go wrong, and what we can do about it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway. Many thanks to all involved in providing me with this opportunity.
Alicia
The Puerto Rican Bryan love his comic books and drawing and finds a friend in Mike who comes to him by way of his mother and father. Newly released from prison, his father has a hard exterior that's tough to crack but softens a bit when Mike is around... until Mike starts encouraging behavior in Bryan that Bryan wouldn't necessarily do on his own including skipping school.

It's about using his superheroes for a force of good and knowing right from wrong in this lovely middle grade story about id
Tom Malinowski
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sixth grader Bryan is urged by his parents to befriend, Mike. The two boys get along great, talking about heroes, exploring the city, having fun. When Mike urges Bryan to skip school, he does. Bryan begins a slight downward spiral of bad choices.

The language that Maldonado uses is authentic and gritty which had me immersed in Bryan's world. Bryan is torn between doing the right thing and not, and even he's not sure why he does what he does. That sums up the rest of humanity too, but Bryan's ang
Patrick
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this novel. Current, fresh, and real. I like how current this realistic fiction story was. Lots of great life lessons included in the pages of this book!
Jaclyn Hillis
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-audiobooks
Use your head. Make good choices. Have friends that lift you up instead of bring you down. I definitely recommend this book for middle school age children.
Sara-Zoe Patterson
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the plot more than the execution, but I identify with this book via my students and the emotional fine line they are always walking
Ann Braden
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was a visceral experience. My blood pressure was up and down right there with Bryan. It's like watching a gripping movie.
My 900th finished book on GoodReads! Huzzah!

I checked this out and listened to it in one day as I puttered around the house today. It's the sweet story of Bryan, a kid from NYC whose dad has been in and out of prison, who geeks out over comics, and who loves his mom so much he doesn't hesitate to hold her hand while walking down the street. Once he starts hanging out with a new friend, Bryan begins to feel the negative influence of his new pal and starts acting in ways he normally wouldn't. Auth
Allison
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Finally a true "Hi-Lo" book for my 8th-grade classroom! I only wish the main character was a bit older (he's a 6th grader when this might be too difficult a read for many 6th graders). It's so hard to find stories that really ride the line between feeling grown-up enough to satisfy 8th graders stretching toward more mature reads while not angering parents with explicit or profane content, all while providing lower-than-grade-level accessibility. Few do it well. Few do it at all!

Tight follows Bry