Start by marking “Esther Ashton's New Dress” as Want to Read:
Esther Ashton's New Dress

Esther Ashton's New Dress

Recently-orphaned Esther Ashton doesn’t expect much from Christmas with her brother away fighting in the South Pacific, her sister-in-law hospitalized with a new baby, and her job at the department store providing little to no profit. Will Esther have any sort of a Christmas or will it be another dud?

Esther Ashton’s New Dress, a Christmas short story, is sure to delight an
Kindle Edition, 1, 16 pages
Published December 23rd 2017 by Kellyn Roth

To ask other readers questions about Esther Ashton's New Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esther Ashton's New Dress

Start your review of Esther Ashton's New Dress
Kellyn Roth
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wow, what an amazing short story! Definitely one of my favorites. ;) A Christmas short story set in Chicago during WW2, recommended for ages 8-12. You can find out more on my website.

~Kellyn Roth
kellynrothauthor.com
Faith
EEPS, such a sweet little WWII story! :D

This weekend, I jumped at the chance to review this short story by an indie author. I ended up reading it the same night, and I really enjoyed it!

At first, I wasn't really sure where the story was going (especially since it only had a couple of pages to play-out), but as soon as scene-two happened, I caught on. And the story was just so precious and sweet! <3

The WWII feel was very well done, and I just wanted to stay and hang out longer with these charact
Loretta Marchize
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Prose: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Prose:

So I felt like the prose was just okay. Not Kell's greatest, but not awful either.
Characters:
Again, good but not great! I did like how Esther and Ann were very different people.
Plot:
Yet again, good but not great. Not a ton happened, but then again, it's not a very long story.
Overall:
Overall... guess what I'm gonna say? Good but not great. I liked it, I just didn't love it.
Content:
None
Angela Watts
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this little story, it's so sweet and a fun read!
Penny Wood
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet short story!! I loved it so much!!! I loved the characters and setting!! A must read!!!!
Sarah Grace Grzy
A short, sweet, Christmasy WW2 story! While I had a few quibbles personally with writing style and grammatical errors, the story was very sweet!
Merie Shen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story by a great author! It's a freebie if you sign up for her newsletter, and I devoured it in no time. Like taking a sip of warm, marshmallow-and-whipped-creamy hot chocolate on a wintry morning! It's a WWII story, which is an element I really liked since it brought much more holiday spirit into the setting.
Short but sweet~ that essentially sums it up!
Hannah
This one's just too cute! I love the cover and the mood it sets for this festive short story, set during WW2. Esther's not got a lot of money to spend, and there are Christmas presents to get, but she really does love the beautiful dress in a wayside dress shop.

Well written and well paced--but there still wasn't enough story for me. I want to hear more of Esther. ;)
Victoria Goodbrand
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely story !!

Aww, I just loved this !! Kellyn is super sweet and I was so excited to finally read something by her!
4/5 stars.
Gabriellyn
What a sweet little story!
This felt very much like a period piece-which is good considering it's set in WW2! :P I liked the authenticity of the style. It felt very 40's-esque.
The writing style wasn't my favorite, but still quite enjoyable. Roth has accomplished well-written and amusing prose, something that's not always easy.
There honestly wasn't much time to get involved with characters due to the extremely short length of the story, but Esther seemed a sweetheart nonetheless.
A solid story!
Faith
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super sweet story

This story was the perfect read after a long day. It took all of 15 minutes to finish. The story was well written. I loved how Kellyn fit in little details of Esther so you could get to know her. Well worth the time to read!
Els
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, that was darling. A sweet Christmas short story narratated by the distinct voice of a rambunctious 19-year-old, it delivers all the elements a sweet short story should. Longer review to (hopefully) come when I get over this evil concussion
Rebekah Morris
Even though it wasn't a favorite, it was still a sweet, short story.
I think I had a hard time connecting with the characters because it was told in first person, present tense. I'm not a big fan of that way of telling a story.
There was a bit of the WW2 feel to the story, but not as much as I would have liked. (Perhaps that's because of how the story was told, and how short it is.)
The relationship between Esther and her sister-in-law was sweet, and I liked that.
Gracelyn Buckner
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

This is was a sweet little story! So glad I got to read it. Really short, but had a good theme. I also really loved how it was set during Christmas-time during WWII. That's not something I've ever read before, but I loved it! :)
J.C.
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I thought this was super sweet, but at the same time kind of confusing. I loved all the characters, and I was captivated by the beautiful writing style. It had a sweet theme and a lighthearted feel. However, I was also confused by a lot of it. The aspect of the brother in the war seemed a little out of place, and I still don’t understand why the dress was important. I felt like it was supposed to filfull a cool theme, but I missed it. It had a lot of potential but a lot felt left unsolved. Never ...more
Hope
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I kinda think this should have been longer. I mean, it was sweet and Christmasy, but that was all.

It took me seven minutes to read this short story (that's what my Kindle app said so I'm trusting that). It ended abruptly and I just felt like there should be something more?? Like better develop the characters or something.

I dunno. Maybe I'm being a grinch.

If you need a fluffy Christmas read, then this is the short story for you.
S.K. Cunningham
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short Christmas story based around WWII. Love!
Karis
Opening the document for “Esther Ashton’s New Dress” swept me back into the rush and hustle of pre-Christmas business of mid-war World War 2. When I saw the short story was written in first person present tense, I groaned to myself, (I typically prefer 3rd person and past,) but before I had read long I had was quite enjoying being in Esther’s head.
It was a unique viewpoint—a glimpse into the life of soldier’s sister and his wife, trying to celebrate Christmas as best they can while missing him.
R.A.
Yes, yes, yes!! I absolutely loved it! Kellyn, you write great stories - I need to read the other three I have in my folder waiting for me!! :D

As I won't be finishing A Question of Courage (although I wish I could) before the New Year, Kellyn's story is my last one! I had to reach 30 books before midnight! ;) Again, I loved this sweet short story! <3

I need one of those dresses too! ;)

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Written beautifully and from a first-person point of view, this Christmas WWII short story is an easy and touching read. Esther Ashton, as the title indicates, is the main character in this story and it comes from her point-of-view.
I've been getting super interested in WWII, and this certainly helps feed that obsession.(view spoiler)
If you're a fan of cl
Abigail
This book was so short, simple, and sweet!! It was so beautifully written and was just a lovely story. For being only a few pages, it is probably one of the sweetest most simple stories I have ever read, that leaves me wanting more!! If you have not read this amazing story yet, I highly recommend it! As I said before, it is so beautfil written and presented!! It also is appropriate for all ages to enjoy!!

Thank you Kellyn for allowing me to read and review your book! I loved it!!
Becca
A perfectly sweet, beautifully Christmas-y short story😊. I look forward to reading some of Kellyn Roth's full-length novels.
~ Sarah ~
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet WWII short story just in time for Christmas. 😊

3.5 out of 5 stars
Cecily Wolfe
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story about being thankful even when life isn't perfect, and appreciating those you love, putting them first and finding joy in giving rather than receiving.
Liz F.
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-5-stars
What a sweet little Christmas story!! I know I read it in July, but I enjoyed it anyway! :P
Angie Thompson
A very cute little Christmas story! Esther's relationship with her sister-in-law was sweet, and I loved her interaction with her baby niece. :D
Esther
This was a very short, very sweet Christmas story. Perfect for the holiday season. I would, however, like to know why her brother doesn't like the name Esther so I can set him straight. ;)
Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)
A charming Christmas short story set during WW2.
Arya Svit-kona Dröttningu
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is truly an amazing short story! Kellyn Roth perfectly portrays the simple story of two women, Esther and Ann. Ann's husband, Mark, has been gone for years fighting in WW2. Neither of them know where he is and, as Christmas comes close, the pain of his absence is greater than usual. This is a great story showing how simple, God-given miracles and gifts can really lift the heart of a broken person.
Claudette Kilby
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet short story

• Red Boots
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Porch Swing Girl (Tradewinds, #1)
  • Homeward
  • Love Blind
  • Who Wore What?: Women's Wear, 1861-1865
  • Who Was Clara Barton?
  • Live Without You
  • Before He Kills (Mackenzie White Mystery, #1)
  • The Art of Thankfulness
  • Almost Gone (The Au Pair—Book One)
  • The Least of These
  • A Trace of Death (Keri Locke Mystery #1)
  • Kiera
  • Quest for Leviathan
  • Next Door (Chloe Fine Mystery #1)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • A Question of Loyalty (Questions of War #3)

Kellyn Roth is a Christian historical women's fiction and romance author. Sound boring? Well, she includes lots of adorable children and mischievous animals—as well as a generous dose of BBC-style drama.

Kell lives on a ranch in North-Eastern Oregon with her family, crazy border collies, conceited fluffy cat, and assorted cows and chickens.

Other than authoring, she blogs, teaches young writers to

News & Interviews