Start by marking “The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman” as Want to Read:
The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman

The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  668 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Imagine where the Church would be today if the men in it were respected as they ought to be by their wives. What power would God unleash through godly men who were respected in their homes? Wives, instead of focusing on your husband's problems and shortcomings, look at what you are supposed to be doing yourself. In the Song of Solomon we read, Like an apple tree among the ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Canon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fruit of Her Hands, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mary A
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little book, one that only took a few hours to read but had so many deep thoughts in it that I will need to come back to it again and again. I found this book very challenging in the best way possible. Nancy pointed out sins I didn't even realize that I had but now they seem so obvious. And she doesn't just focus on sins of outward appearance; this isn't just one woman's list of personal rules-- they are sins of the heart, based on God's word. Having her example as a godly older ...more
Leanne
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I liked what the author had to say about submission and respecting your husband. I didn't agree with the idea that a wife cannot have any ministry or employment that is distinct from her husband, but the author presented her case and gave backup for it, so it was thought-provoking none the less.

A few off the cuff remarks made me wince... like fears are simply sin because of not trusting God enough. To me, that falls into the same category as s
Katlin
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was directed more toward women who were already wives and mothers, but it still gave me, an unmarried young woman, quite a bit to think about and apply. I think that one of the most valuable aspects of the book was that it showed me that the trials and temptations I struggle with now are ever present in the life of a Christian woman. The attitudes I foster about the things I now face will really effect how my marriage and child rearing will go. I get a head start! And if I don't begin ...more
Sara Shipley
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this book in a used book store. I feel like I found a diamond in the rocks. I just got married a little over a year ago, a have been blessed to have Titus 2 woman in my life. I it was easy to take in what Nancy Wilson was writing because it was constantly backed up with scripture.
Bethanie Brayley
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good book giving what I see as the beautiful, biblical woman! I appreciate Nancy's boldness, kindness and clarity in expressing things that our culture at large despises. This is a great "refer to" kind of book, and great for discussion with a group.
Marliss
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a difficult book to read--very convicting. I agreed with it all.
Brenda
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's enough convicting points in this book to last any wife a lifetime, and yet it's a short read. Wilson isn't flowery in her writing. She simply presents the case, backs it up with Scripture, and says "go and do likewise." I will be using this book in counseling other women, and as a regular refresher for my own life and marriage. Wilson covers many aspects of marriage that most writers are afraid to broach because of the hostile, feminist culture in which we live: respecting your husband, ...more
Morgana Mendonça
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Um livro simplesmente sensacional! Recomendadíssimo, até para os homens.
Danae
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read again. Highly recommend! Wonderful truths in this book
Daniel
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Good appendix to Reforming Marriage. Reforming Marriage is the must-read book that will make you want to read all the others.
Mary Ann
May 27, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: christian women
I was initially irritated by Wilson's assertion that women in general want practical knowledge and are not interested in theology. I am much more interested in theology than my hubby! However, my role as mother and caretaker makes me cry out to God for help b/c it is not "natural" for me to be focused on tasks. My mind is distracted by thoughts, ideas and dreams. I have to intentionally take my thoughts captive, allow God to set my priorities and take action out of love for my God and family. H ...more
Andrea Jardon
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. One of the better books I've read in a long time. It has very basic biblical truths about what being a woman of the word looks like in reference to marriage and the role of a woman in her home. I love how simple and straightforward Nancy writes, there's no empty words and fluffiness (is that a word?) to it just plain and simple this is what the Bible says and here's how we must live in obedience to it. I went underlining crazy I nearly underlined the whole book it was so g ...more
Abigail Weaver
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-2015
Excellent read. Nancy Wilson is precise, perceptive, challenging and encouraging at the same time. She does a great job handling temptations and challenges specific to women by providing Biblical wisdom and insight into how to be a God honoring and fulfilled wife and mother. Although the book is written to married ladies, Mrs. Wilson provides practical wisdom to women in all walks of life. I especially appreciate how she cuts through preconceived ideas and assumptions and challenges us to realiz ...more
Hannah
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was useful in the way that eating your greens and cleaning the bathroom is useful. It was highly convicting, but also pretty depressing. I can't help thinking that a little encouragement to help the rebuke go down could have been thrown in, without sapping the book of its power, but maybe that's just me kicking back at the pricks.

CJ Bowen
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Chock full of biblical wisdom and encouragement for women, and since it's biblical, it is of no small value to the man, either. Reading this book made me so very thankful for the wife God has given me. I was struck on this read-through by the presence of the Puritans - Burroughs, Watson, and some others wander through the pages adding depth and capping off arguments with the mot juste. Mrs. Wilson has drawn from deep wells, and the cool water she has brought up is very refreshing.
Victoria Berry (Ripple)
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I couldn't absorb the Truth in its words quick enough--that is to say (in the least) it was wonderful. Its one of those books that reminds you of your always-present need of learning and growing spiritually. This book helps guide you in practical and real life situations while exhorting the depth and mystery of our solid foundation which is Christ.
Samantha
Nov 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Samantha by: premarital counseling pastor
Shelves: christian-books
I don't even know how to begin to review this book.Rotten fruit. I honestly couldn't believe some of the archaic thinking that I read in this book. I agree with the premise of respecting one's husband, but the "all women belong in the home"/ "women can't have their own ministry, but must be under their husband's" mentality of the author left a bad taste in my mouth.
Gregory
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful! I read this in college, but it went over my head. Now, after being married for a few years, it's immensely more meaningful. We know the Wilsons personally, and Nancy practices what she preaches.
Tracie
Oct 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Reading this with a sweet friend--who is newly engaged! I'm not sure what I think quite yet--I agree with some of it...and am unsure of what I make of the author's tone. Time will tell...

The further I got into the book, the more I appreciated what the author had to say.
Aaron Ventura
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Nancy pulls no punches and does a good job of explaining how Scripture converts into very practical and wise living. The Wilson's embody being "doers" of the Word and not "hearers" only. This may be my new go-to recommendation for Christian women.
Ceira
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A helpful handbook for wives, written with a refreshing Biblical perspective. Nancy Wilson gives wise warnings against many of the modern lies that inundate women in our culture today, and lays out the beautiful, truly freeing plan God gave us in His word.
Dustin
Very good.
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
While I agreed with everything in this book; it was very hard to get through. It's a great basis, but kind of like eating plain shredded wheat. Healthy, but difficult.
Becky Pliego
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, women, favorites
I book I read once a year-
Lori Fearey
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Nancy Wilson books.
Josette
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Pretty serious stuff for the Christian woman. The author doesn't try to sugar coat anything, which can make it a little abrasive at times. Still, it's truth.
Blair and Ben
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An all women must-read! Just gave it away to a newlywed!
Madison
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Some of the chapters were thought provoking/convicting/encouraging. It's more a primer or a very quick general overview.
Arenda
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on living as a wife and mother. I found it both challenging and convicting.
Chris Comis
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: paterfamilias
I think my wife has read this a few times. I read it once, but figured I probably need to stick with Nancy's hubby to get my best advice.
  • Standing on the Promises
  • What's the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • Home-Making
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Wise Words
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children
Nancy Wilson (nee Greensides) is the wife of Pastor Douglas Wilson, mother of N.D. Wilson, Rebekah Merkle, and Rachel Jankovic, and grandmother of seventeen who are (as yet) unpublished. She lives in northern Idaho.
More about Nancy Wilson

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“The more you read, the more you will find your thoughts and conversation reflecting your reading, and the more you will want to read.” 9 likes
“Christian wives tend to leave the 'fat books' and theology to their husbands. While this may look 'submissive' to some, it is actually disobedience. It is not enough that we know Proverbs 31, Ephesians 5, 1 Peter 3, and 1 Corinthians 1 and 14. We have to know more than how to be a good wife. After all, our calling is to be good Christians; and if we are good Christians, we will be good wives and mothers. We mustn't be afraid to deal with topics other than those which directly deal with being a wife and mother.” 5 likes