Start by marking “Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden” as Want to Read:
Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden

Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
For every gardener desiring to add apples, pears, cherries, and other tree fruit to their landscape here are hints and solid information from a professional horticulturist and experienced fruit grower. The Backyard Orchardist includes help on selecting the best fruit trees and information about each stage of growth and development, along with tips on harvest and storage of ...more
Published January 1st 1995 by Ottographics (first published May 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Backyard Orchardist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backyard Orchardist

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla EmeryThe Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John SeymourSeed to Seed by Suzanne AshworthThe Backyard Homestead by Carleen MadiganPut 'em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton
222 books — 102 voters
The Giver by Lois LowryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxThe Fires of Heaven by Robert JordanVoyager by Diana GabaldonTrainspotting by Irvine Welsh
Best Books of 1993
216 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
When you buy your first fruit tree, do yourself and your new tree a favor and buy this book too. Now that I have three planted in my backyard, I'm wishing I would have read this prior to planting; I would have dug a much bigger hole and amended my clay soil with more sandy-loam and compost. I also would have done a better job setting my trees up for production by properly pruning those first few years of growth. Today is a new day.

This is an easy-to-read book that covers all major fruit bearing
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
good basics on planting, pruning, and placement
do not care for the suggested use of non organic controls. gross and not necessary
John Brian Anderson
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Basic primer. A good book if you are just starting to learn but not comprehensive.
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden
I highly recommend this book for an home gardeners, who have or plan to add fruit trees to their property. Stella Otto does an excellent job presenting the general information needed on fruit trees, growing requirements, pruning, grafting, pest control and harvesting while also providing in depth information on each type of fruit and the varieties available. The book covers apples, pears, cherries, apricots, plums, peaches and nectarines. I found her chapter on revitalizing older trees particula ...more
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Got this book from the library to look into how to grow apple trees, and it seems like a really comprehensive guide to locating, planting, pruning, and caring for fruit trees at all stages. It even includes a list of common insects, fungi, and bacteria, their signs on your trees, and how to combat them in organic and non-organic methods. Unless I find another amazing book, I'll probably buy my own copy of this one.
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I think this will be a great reference book to have in my library especially as our little orchard grows. The first half of the book was about why to plant a fruit tree and how to prepare to plant a fruit tree which was very informative however since my orchard is 2 years old I was hoping for more about caring for the orchard and less about preparing to plant one. Good information for anyone with fruit trees.
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This seems like a very good resource and it was well worth reading. My only hesitation is that it seems a bit old. I am one that values time tested solutions but as new varieties come out among other things resources can become outdated. I am going to check on some of these things elsewhere with newer resources but I am sure that I learned a good bit from this book all the same.
This is a great book!

For any of you locals wondering why in the heck we planted our fruit trees in such a small space, check out this really cool website about it...

Lot's of great info on planting "compact orchards" or the most possible fruit in the smallest spaces imaginable!!
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great little book and extremely well written for this 'type' of book.
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
this book is full of good straightforward information. I do think she could go into a little more detail at times, but it's a good start for learning about fruit trees.
Jan 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
This was very helpful as I was planning my little home orchard.
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm
Great resource.
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Joyce Lagow
The Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden by Stella Otto (1995)
Forest (Sarka) Chick
More for a novice. Needs more solutions for problems.
Bonnie Roman
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very (VERY) informative book. Everything I wanted to know about planting our fruit trees (and a whole lot of extra technical information that I didn't need)
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Ask me in three years if I have fruit trees. That answer will be my rating of this book.
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent in it's depth and detail. I consider myself an "advanced novice" gardner. I learned a ton and refer to it regularly. I know have 8 thriving fruit trees.
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good basic information. Would have preferred more emphasis on organic methods of growth and pest control.
May 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardist
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control: A Complete Problem-Solving Guide to Keeping Your Garden and Yard Healthy Without Chemicals
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits  Vegetables
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • The New Seed-Starter's Handbook
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden

Nonfiction Deals

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99