Start by marking “The Seasons of Beento Blackbird” as Want to Read:
The Seasons of Beento Blackbird

The Seasons of Beento Blackbird

The Seasons of Beento Blackbird marks the debut of Akosua Busia, an exciting and passionate new novelist. It is the story of Solomon Wilberforce, a magnetic and brilliant man who writes bestselling children's books under the name Beento Blackbird and who has dedicated himself to educating the far-flung children of African descent about their glorious heritage. And it is al ...more
Published December 1st 1997 by Touchstone (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Seasons of Beento Blackbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seasons of Beento Blackbird

Start your review of The Seasons of Beento Blackbird
karen
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
finally! a book that romanticizes male infidelity!! shhh ladies, in our places, now... here's the thing - this book has a great story - particularly in the way it describes locations- therefore 4 stars. however, it has some of the most unrealistic characters imaginable. there are some major inconsistencies in the main characters emotional obliviousness vs. his very intense social awareness. he demonstrates a very heightened sensitivity in certain scenes but seems unaware that having different wi ...more
Nancy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
A great read - that raised for me lots of issues about women and relationships with men.

In this novel the male character has relationships with three different women and he spends one season a year with each of the women - in New York, the Caribbean and Africa.

Eventually things come together, not as he would have wanted, and so the relationships among the women either directly or indirectly prove to be very interesting.

Annette
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
The Seasons of Beento Blackbird by Akosua Busia is about a man who gets a double helping of love. He has two wives, each of which he loves in a different way. His first wife lives in the Caribbean, the second one lives in Ghana. Solomon divides his time spending winters on a beautiful island with Miriam, his first and older wife, summers with the younger Ashia in Ghana, and the remaining time in New York where he works as a children’s book writer under the pseudonym Beento Blackbird. Both women ...more
Nancy
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My current comment: Thus far, it's written with more enthusiasm than skill. Also, I hate the main character (and I think the author feels that we should be sympathetic to him).

My update, upon finishing: The main character does get a bit of a come-uppance, but I'm still underwhelmed. Maybe my bigger problem with this book is that it feels like a mouthpiece for the author to explore her own ideas about race, gender, family, and nationality. Though those are all compelling topics, she doesn't have
Bernie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I read some, but mostly listened to the audiobook. Soloman is a successful author, who is being persued by his literary agent. His agent later learns, that not only is he married, but he in fact, has two wives, that he lives with seasonally. It was a beautiful soothing listen. I got more and more annoyed with the whole polygamy thing, as I got to know his wives better. It was definitely a good read. Yes, I recommend it.
Myra
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story of love, heartache and growth. The book is full of brilliantly written contrasts that takes the reader back and provides insights into why the characters think and behave as they do. The reader journeys from the West Indies to New York to Ghana through the seasons while gaining empathy for the characters and feeling pain for the women in Solomon's life. I was curious and captivated throughout the entire book. The perfect book.
Chantal
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely great, I am very visual and love being abale to see what I am reading. This book was a great escape and it flowed well. I have loan this book to people of different age groups and they all loved it. Great read, so disappointed the author, never wrote anything else. I read this book about 5 or 6 times already and plan to read it again.
Melissa blackson
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. She writes with such freedom. I associated more with Miriam and it made me want to escape to a tropical island! That the author was able to write about a man that many would quickly label as a "womanizer" as a sensitive loving soul was my favorite part! She made me fall in love with love.
Lisa Poeltl
Aug 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story, and the characters were very well-developed. In the end, I wish I had found more of a reason for the title character's decision. It left me feeling badly for most of the women in his life.
Dana "DWJ"
May 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction
This is probably the best book I've ever read in my life. A great story that winds you between characters, it should be made into a movie! One of my definite favorites.
Dalila John
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books.
Theresa
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!!!
Naa Ayele
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite- as it merges cultural influences within the Carribean, Hhana, and New York it explores love from different cultural lens.
Jen
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
if i were to explain this book the guy would sound like a total player but it's more just about loving people in all different forms and for totally different reasons.
Monica
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautifully written books that I have read. I can still picture the landscape of the country in the book. Lovely read!
scherzo♫
15.1b independent in spring - Ghana author

page 165: "'Tell her that most black children outside Africa know that six million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust, but they don't know that one hundred twenty million Africans died through slavery. And they don't know anything about Africans before they were forced to be slaves.'"

page 180: "'Our children are taught that Africa is backward and underdeveloped. For one hundred years the white man removed Africa's craftsmen, chiefs, doctors, philosopher
Ferris
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook..................First of all, the narrator's voice was so lovely that the book was worth reading for that alone! However, this was a very good story about searching for identity, personally, culturally, historically, and geographically. The story was set in Ghana, an island in the Caribbean, and New York City. Solomon Wilberforce, the protagonist, is an unusual man with great talents who searches for himself amidst confusing psychological and cultural expectations. The writing style i ...more
Laurel
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
A writer must come to terms with the complicated life he has invented for himself. Traveling across continents Beento (Solomon)spends time in the Caribbean and Africa with two women he claims to love. Back in the U.S. his book agent proclaims her love for him and Solomon is faced with hard decisions. I found the writing in this book to be very lyrical, but the story was a bit flat.
Liz
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All My Friends
Recommended to Liz by: My sister
I had never heard of this book prior to my sister's recommendation and I loved it! It was definitely a book that I couldn't put down and hence why I finished it in 2 days! There were many twists and turns but the ending was very satisfying!
Christina Azenab
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book by accident.. I kept it because Akosua Busia is somehow intertwined in my life by affiliation and she's Ghanaian like me. The warm feeling and the comfort of the book, took me away..

I'll keep it simple. THIS IS A MUST READ.

Akosua medaase bebr3, oyiwado))
Adrianne
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books - a page-turner that combines a love triangle and pan african black culture
Ivy Pittman
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I was not expecting Busia to be such a crafty writer. This was a brilliant display of culture and choices.
Erin
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great Book!
Alice
Feb 02, 2009 added it
excellent
Psalm
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I remember having the biggest crush on Solomen...sigh
Ian R.
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I read it while on vacation...it was perfect. Easy to read and I flew right through it. Interesting subject matter...fluffy at best.
Gillian
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
A bit too far-fetched at times, but entertaining nonetheless. Set in Africa, the Caribbean, and New York City...season to season.
Aud
Jun 23, 2011
Lori Blackwell
Jan 30, 2008
Michael
Jul 21, 2019

• Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression - and the Unexpected Solutions
  • Invisible Man
  • Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
  • The Darkest Child
  • Your Blues Ain't Like Mine
  • Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America
  • Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories
  • The Fountainhead
A Ghanaian actress who now lives in the U.S..

News & Interviews