Start by marking “Science Comics Rockets - Defying Gravity” as Want to Read:
Science Comics Rockets - Defying Gravity

Science Comics Rockets - Defying Gravity

(Science Comics)

Every volume of Science Comics offers a complete introduction to a particular topic—dinosaurs, coral reefs, the solar system, volcanoes, bats, flying machines, and many more. These gorgeously illustrated graphic novels offer wildly entertaining views of their subjects. Whether you're a fourth grader doing a natural science unit at school or a thirty-year-old with a secret ...more
Published June 12th 2018 by First Second Books

To ask other readers questions about Science Comics Rockets - Defying Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Comics Rockets - Defying Gravity

Start your review of Science Comics Rockets - Defying Gravity
Barbara
3.5 for this one, another solid title that science teachers will want to add their classroom library. Most of us are fascinated by space or the idea of space travel, and in graphic form, this slim volume covers the history of the space race and humans' interest in being able to travel far from Earth. It never fails to amuse me that so many were sure it wasn't possible while it also never fails to leave me sad to think of the many experimental animals such as Laika, the space dog, who lost their ...more
Janet
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the publisher ---
Suzanne
Science Comics continues to cover topics of interest to young readers. This volume covers the development of rockets from 400 BCE to the present. An amazing feature is that the figures from rocketry history are a mix of men and women from different time periods and different countries. Their contributions range from the strictly theoretical (books, dissertations, theories), to experiments, improvements on previous advances, and incredible breakthroughs.

The humorous narrators of the book are an
Anita
Rockets: Defying Gravity from the Science Comics series defied my expectations and I have high expectations of this series. The authors explain the major principles of physics via brilliant illustrations and an easy to follow narrative of the history of rocket science, from ancient Italian scientist, Archytas, to today's Lightsail from the Planetary Society. Young readers will hear, for the first time, the names of the scientists (many women are included) and the test animals (bears, tortoises, ...more
Dan
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rockets is yet another solid addition to the Science Comics series. I know in the past, sixth graders at our middle school have launch water pressure rockets and revised them to improve the design and its flight. So much of these stories are about the trials of making more effective rockets for space travel that I could see this being widely used in the classroom setting for science and STEM/STEAM classrooms. Highly recommend this series!
Denise
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from #netgalley to review.

Another clever and informative titles in the Science Comics series. This is quickly becoming my go to series for non-fiction graphic novels. They are full of information that I really had no clue about and are fun to read.

Highly recommend this title and series for graphic novel fans.

#ScienceComics:Rockets #NetGalley
Melissa
Awesome as always, Science Comics! I really love how it gets into both the history and the science. It's fascinating to really see how far technology has come! I liked how this book was narrated by all the animals that have traveled on rockets and gone into space. Bonus points for the humor scattered throughout, especially the gem of delivery sandwiches to the ISS haha.
Katelyn Patterson
3.5
There is a lot of information in here. All of it fascinating. Newtonian laws explained by farm animals, rockets as entertainment, major inventors, rockets in the space race, in exploration, and the future of rocketry. My only concern is... Is it too ambitious? Does it try to pack too much in? The people involved are top notch, though!
Heather Brown
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rockets tells the history, physics, and uses of rockets--all with a punch of humor. Kids and adults will both find Rockets fun and informative, and it gives enough information to write a paper or use as a source. I'm a big fan of this series, and I'm sure my students will love this addition!
Jon
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Humorous and accessible. Rockets are complex, but the authors successfully boil down concepts into easily graspable points. Younger students (Grades 4-5) may struggle with some content but middle-school audiences will find themselves learning a lot about science!
Earl
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite in the series by any means- I guess, I didn't like the presentation style- but I can see myself recommending this book to anyone already interested in rockets. I did learn cool new facts but it may have been too much!
Kristin Feliciano
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is really fun to read. It takes the concept of how rockets work and turns it into a comic about it. I like this for kids that like graphic novels
Kimberly Brown
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would say this book is ideal for 9+ kid. Great series.
wildct2003
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent addition to the series. One of the better reads.
VBergen
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, science, children
The illustrations are cute ^_^ but the subject is hard and it's not presented in a very reachable way :-/ Changing characters often, breaks a little the continuity of the story
Awjtf
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Interesting!
Teresa Edmunds
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book has information about rockets. The book makes learning fun. I liked it. There are also funny parts. I recommend it to those who like rockets and science. (review by Jori, grade 4)
Critter
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a super engaging and humorous read. It is a great book for readers like me who struggle with the science between rockets and physics. This book and all of its wonderful narrators made learning the science lots of fun. It was great how historical figures were brought in, Isaac Newton being a really great addition. There were also lots of jokes, especially puns scattered throughout the narrative. I loved how informative and funny this book was.

I received a copy from Fierce Read’s Countdo
Jan 13, 2019
Patrick Dauray
Oct 09, 2018
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Lies Garner

• Actual Size
  • Underwater Dogs
  • On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein
  • Bigfoot is Missing!
  • Dog Breath! The Horrible Trouble with Hally Tosis (Scholastic Bookshelf): The Horrible Trouble With Hally Tosis
  • Guts
  • Dogku
  • Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)
  • Front Desk
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid: #1-6 [Collection]
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
  • Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars (Kid Legends)
  • Butterflies
  • Eight Keys

Science Comics (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly