Start by marking “Past the Size of Dreaming (Red Heart of Memories, #2)” as Want to Read:
Past the Size of Dreaming (Red Heart of Memories, #2)

Past the Size of Dreaming (Spores Ferry #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  458 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The Nebula and World Fantasy Award-nominated author of A Red Heart of Memories continues the spellbinding story of the wandering witch Matilda (Matt) Black, who possesses the ability to communicate with inanimate objects and see into people’s dreamsand her companion Edmund Reynolds, a young man with magic of his own who is only beginning to come to grips with his past and ...more
Published March 5th 2002 by Ace (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Past the Size of Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past the Size of Dreaming

Julia
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
These books by Hoffman are amazing and full of wonder and wholeheartedly unique and different from any other books I’ve ever read.

In the real world, Matt and Edmund would be locked up and medicated as schizophrenic, but instead they have each other and Abby’s gold.

In this book they find the others that Edmund knew as a teen, Diedre, who grew up to be a vet, Julio who is music and the House and Nathan. Nathan is a 14 year old ghost who killed himself in 1919. They also find Tasha and Terry, twi
Alisa
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kira, Clara, Jenni, Maria
I don't think I enjoyed this is as much as the first two books in the trilogy - at the end, there were too many characters in one place (it was well-handled but inevitably changed the atmosphere) and I lost the close, quiet world I had enjoyed in the earlier books. I did appreciate that the big showdown against the wicked wizard at the end of the book did not turn out in quite the usual way. Most of all, though, I thank Ms. Hoffman for writing these books which, I swear, gave me back hope for pa ...more
Anna Hepworth
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most of my thoughts on this book have been included in my review of 'A Red Heart of Memory', which is the first book in the series.

Adults explore the reasons that their teenage selves hid in what turned out to be a haunted house. In a lightweight fantasy/supernatural escapist reading kind of way.
Corinne
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Monica
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, paranormal
First off, it's important to note that Past the Size of Dreaming is not for those who have not read the previous two books in the series.
I don't think it's any weaker a book for not being able to stand on its own as it is the conclusion of a short yet in-depth series.

When I finished this book, I really didn't know how to feel about it. The entire atmosphere of the Red Heart of Memories world changed so drastically from A Stir of Bones, and I'm actually stumped over whether this is a good or bad
Kristi Thompson
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
"Urban" fantasy, I guess, though mostly rural. The magic systems were rather incoherent: demons, talking sidewalks, spirit guides, elemental magic, witches and old-fashioned cookbook magic. Oh, and the gold bands that were never really explained. The characters were well done, I guess, but I seemed to be missing context. Perhaps they appeared in Red Heart of Memories?

It was the magic that bothered me, though. Anything could happen: at any point a character could pull out a new spell or ability,
zjakkelien
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, contemporary
Loved it!! I absolutely adore these books, with their quirky magic and lovable characters. There is way more psychology in these books than is usual for fantasy, and I know some people who are put off by it, but I love the way it is integrated in a magical world. I like that even the evil people are not completely evil, and that some of the good people are somewhat questionable. Mostly, I love the talking objects. The car! The house! The road! I like that one of the characters changes (view spoi ...more
Rachel
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Finished reading Past the Size of Dreaming, which is by Hoffman, and resonably good for a sequal about a woman who talks to objects and a man-witch. But it suffers from gathering so many different high powered characters in the end, that really it takes the guess work out of any conflict.

It's like Oh, Jesus, God, Dennis Leary, and Jet Li are going to rumble outside after school today against the "evil" gang from the other end of Magictown. Hm... I wonder who will win?

Unless the other gang bring
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this final book of the series the House seems to be calling all of them back for some reason. Edmund and Matt go in search of the remaining friends to be found, locating them but they are not always exactly what they were.

In addition to the difficulties in finding the people there is still the threat of whoever or whatever it was that attacked Julio, and who seems not only to still be at large but to have picked up some helpers along the way.

This is another incredible story of magic and frie
Althea Ann
I'd highly recommend this for any fans of Charles de Lint - the combination of earth magic with contemporary young characters reminds me a lot both in theme and feel of a lot of de Lint's writing.

'Past the Size of Dreaming,' the sequel to , 'A Red Heart of Memories' I thought was a more successful work.

In it the characters are more concerned with who they are now, and exploring their powers, growing as people - not being obsessed by the past . The plot - involving a search to discover what they
Cindywho
Sep 03, 2007 rated it liked it
It started out slow with disjointed stories, and then I figured out that it was a sequel to A Red Heart of Memories, which I actually did read, but can't remember much about. My feeling of lost memory haunted me through much of the reading, but then the story is about a haunted house and the people it's trying to gather together and the memories it feeds them, the magics it bestows. When a flashback is dreamed into the main character, it really gets interesting though the fantasy magic is over t ...more
Brennan Griffin
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I like Nina Kiriki Hoffman's books, but the conflict never quite does it for me. I like that her characters are not all the good-guy vs. the all-consuming evil, but rather flawed and difficult people. I do wish the people were a little less prone to having revelatory psychological breakthroughs that solve all the problems set up in the book. People are a bit messier than that.

All of that is too critical perhaps. She has a lovely way with words, and I've enjoyed everything she puts out there.
Deirdre
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately for me this is book 2 for which I don't have book 1 so I'm sure there are things I'm missing in the story that would make more sense if I had read the first one. Still this story of a group of older teens who have met with magic and found themselves changed.

They now have to gather themselves together at the behest of the haunted house that sheltered them when they were children. There's a darkness rising that will need all their skills. They have to come to terms with what they can
Alethea
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
As sometimes happens, this was striking and original and vivid and I just didn't enjoy it that much. There seemed to be lots of bits and character sketches rather than a coherent narrative, and while I sometimes can get behind that sort of storytelling (sometimes from Nina Kiriki Hoffman, even)...this one just didn't work for me. Not dire, but I'm kind of wondering if I want to give it shelf space as I try to weed down my library.
Kirsten
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Yum. This is the sequel to A Red Heart of Memories and is, if it's possible, even more satisfying and entertaining. It picks up pretty much exactly where Red Heart left off, with Matt and Edmund feeling compelled to seek out the rest of Edmund's childhood friends. Time has changed Julio and Deirdre, and there are even more changes ahead for all of them, even Nathan and House, who have seemed unchangable.
Mary-Beth
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I didn't know this was a continuation of a novel I had previously read, but so much the better. I love the characters in these stories. They seem so much more flawed and interesting than the magical figures in many other fantasy novels I have read.

This installment introduced all of Edmund's friends, while still spending a lot of time with Nathan, the ghost and the other familiar characters.

It ended at a really awkward place though and I want the next book.
Corinne
kvon
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
More characters than in book one, which diffuses the narative somewhat? Nice transgender queer character, which I don't think I appreciated before. And I wish we could see some more of the coyote-bound woman's story. Continues in NKHs usual non-violent, non-angry finales. Part of my post-Permeable Borders reread.
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
Totally not as much fun as the first one . . . Seems like she can't have gay people in the book. What the heck? Ah, whatever. I also still don't like how Matt changed so dramatically. Ah, well. It was still okay.
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, 2005, 2012, 2001, 2016
re-read 10/18/2005
re-read 1/29/2012

This book brings together many of the elements raised in several of the short stories we've been reading for the last few years from Nina... I adore Matt, Edmund, Terry and the others, but House was my fav in this one.
Cindywho
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
I actually read this back in 2003 - but had forgotten what happened so included it in my Hoffman reading streak - the review is pretty much the same - http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/18...

Crystal
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
3/14/2016
5th or 6th time? Maybe? I still like A Red Heart of Memories the best, but I do like how this one gives everyone more of a background. Though there are a few inconsistencies from time to time, almost like they were written separately.
Wealhtheow
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I don’t know why I keep reading Hoffman; I never really like her stuff. She’s great in person, and her short stories have a lot of verve, but she writes terrible dialog and tells the same plot over and over.
LOL_BOOKS
A HAUNTED HOUSE ADOPTS A GROUP OF TEENIES
Michelle
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Charles de Lint and Emma Bull
Shelves: sf
First encountered the author in the Silent Strength of Stones, and have been entranced by her unique vision ever since.
April
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Similar YA themes to the rest of her books (finding one's own identity, drawing boundaries, experimenting with newfound power, gender confusion), but I still enjoyed it.
Kalie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Has a few really beautiful moments. True friends are wonderful things.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Second in a really original contemporary fantasy series notable for a distinctive approach to magic and the paranormal.
  • The Wood Wife
  • The Tower at Stony Wood
  • A Sudden Wild Magic
  • The Mystery of Grace
  • Giant Bones
  • The Mysteries
  • The Eagle's Daughter
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • The Ghost Sister
  • Girl, Get Your Mind Right!: The Tell-It-Like-It-Is Advice Your Love Life Has Been Missing
  • Nobody's Son
  • The Sword of the Land (Rilsin Sae Becha #1)
  • Faery in Shadow
  • The Revenants
  • Dog Warrior (Ukiah Oregon, #4)
Nina Kiriki Hoffman’s first solo novel, The Thread That Binds the Bones (1993), won the Bram Stoker Award for first novel; her second novel, The Silent Strength of Stones (1995) was a finalist for the Nebula and World Fantasy Awards. A Red Heart of Memories (1999, part of her “Matt Black” series), nominated for a World Fantasy Award, was followed by sequel Past the Size of Dreaming in 2001. Much o ...more
More about Nina Kiriki Hoffman...

Spores Ferry (3 books)
  • A Stir of Bones (Red Heart of Memories, #0.5)
  • A Red Heart of Memories (Red Heart of Memories, #1)