Start by marking “The Dreaming Stars (Axiom, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dreaming Stars (Axiom, #2)

The Dreaming Stars

(Axiom #2)

Ancient aliens, the Axiom, will kill us all – when they wake up. In deep space, a swarm of nanoparticles threatens the colonies, transforming everything it meets into computronium – including the colonists. The crew of the White Raven investigate, and discover an Axiom facility filled with aliens hibernating while their minds roam a vast virtual reality. The treacherous Se ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published September 4th 2018 by Angry Robot

Start your review of The Dreaming Stars (Axiom, #2)
Gary
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
[Spoiler Alert: If you haven’t read the first book in the series - The Wrong Stars - I give away some key plot points here]
Tim Pratt’s The Wrong Stars was something of a masterclass in how an author should stitch their worldbuilding into a novel’s plot and character growth. Having a character – in this case 500-year-old cryo-sleeper Elena Oh – who needs everything explained to them is not a new trick; the fun of the rest of the novel revolves around the explainers learning that everything they t
Cathy
DNF at 36%. I just can‘t develop an interest in the story. They finally got their job, after a lot of set-up and not much happening. And still not much happens. This lacks the action and the suspense of the first book. Or it takes too long to get there. I really tried, but I don‘t care. Which is a shame, because I really like Callie, Elena and Askok.
Richard Derus
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, returned
Real Rating: 4.25* of five

Does anyone really know the secret truth of another being? It's an ancient question and it's been answered...no, it's not possible...many times and in many ways. Why, then, do we as a species keep asking it? Because it's endlessly fascinating? Why should smacking your nose into a plate glass window at speed be fascinating?

Dunno, but it is. Everything after this point is a spoiler fro The Wrong Stars, so click at your own peril.

(view spoiler)
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.0 Stars
Spoiler-Free Trilogy Review Video: https://youtu.be/tn9ktLmfYcc

This was an enjoyable second installment in a newer epic space opera series. I did not love it as much as the first book, but still a fun read with diverse characters and a light touch of humour. I highly recommend this series to science fiction readers.
The Captain
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandon-ship
This book was not to my taste. I found it rather generic and bland. I did not finish and will not be reading more of this series. I will not be doing a full review on my blog.
Lata
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly enjoyed this, though it took about half the book to get to the beating-on-the-Axiom part of the story. Much as I like cast of characters, I could have done with less quippiness amongst them: not every conversation needs to be a series of sarcastic quips. I did really like the focus on Stephen in this book. We got more than just "he's the doctor and takes drugs during his religious experiences." I liked where how Stephen and Q interacted, and I really like his resolution in this story.
Lindsay
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A straight continuation of the previous book that sadly falters due to a very slow first half followed by a not-particularly-interesting second half with something of a cheat ending. There's more characterization than the first book, and a little bit more flesh on the bones of the ambitious world-building, but overall, this was very medium.

I'm not positive I'll go on to the next one, but the premise sounds interesting.
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
Tim Pratt’s The Wrong Stars was exactly the sort of book I was looking for — a fun space opera with some truly great aliens and queer protagonists. The Dreaming Stars is everything I could ask for from a sequel. However, if you haven’t read The Wrong Stars I suggest you go pick up a copy before diving into The Dreaming Stars. Also, this review will contain spoilers for the first book in the series.

Humanity has no idea the danger it is in. An ancient alien race, the Axiom, ruled the entire univer
Andrew
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a bad follow up to the first book in the series, however, I found that when at its core not a whole lot happens that expands of what the Axiom are and what they are doing. Granted we get a glimpse, but not nearly what I was expecting after having this monster race of space dominators introduced previously.

In fact, nothing really happens for the first half of the book that could not have been rewritten. Much are the bulk of the novel is superfluous romantic fluff. It seems that the relations
Alan
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Resourceful castaways
Recommended to Alan by: Previous work
"Saving the galaxy isn't very lucrative, is it?"
"No, but at least it makes people try to kill us."
—p.78

Back in March 2018, I called Tim Pratt's The Wrong Stars "a good old new old-fashioned rip-roaring space adventure yarn, the kind they don't write anymore, full of exciting technologies and emotional extremes and exotic extraterrestrial locales." Its sequel, The Dreaming Stars, is not quite as rip-roaring—this novel begins very much in medias res , which is a good thing, but it still takes a
Adri Joy
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A less intense book than its predecessor, but one that leaves me very excited for where the series is going.

The Wrong Stars was an unexpected hit with me, taking a ton of entertaining space opera ingredients reminiscent of everything from The Expanse to Douglas Adams and blending them into something unique and entertaining. The humans of Pratt's world had made their way into the solar system when a jellyfish-like race made contact, telling grand stories of the wider galaxy and promising extraor
ρɦαɳƭσɱ (ժαղcҽ's ճαճ)
(╯`▭´)╯︵ (dǝꓭ ƨ'ɒnɒ⅃) ǝɔnɒꓷ
Varshini
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book! It wasn't as gripping as the first one in the series, but I still prioritized it over the other space opera book I'm currently reading - Record of a Spaceborn Few.

The start of this book promises a lot, especially with (view spoiler)

It continues to be the same, with a lot of mansplaining, a lot of psychological buttons trying to be pushed an
Ay
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable series. It’s best to start with book 1. I’m going to be looking into his earlier work. I hope it is as good.
Kevin Hogan
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
More 3.5 than 4 stars, this book is a little deeper than the first one, but without sacrificing any of the underlying fun.
Sam Vrooman
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book doesn’t do anything particularly new, but it still has a good story and interesting characters. While it uses many of the tropes seen in sci-fi, it does it well, and I found it an engaging and fun read.
Stephen King
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not quite as strong as the first book, but a solid addition to the tale, with some interesting looks into new corners of the series' universe.
Claudia
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at around 50%. I don’t really know what happened with this one , but it’s like the author decided to write every single random thought that crossed his mind - halfway through the book and nothing happened . We’re in deep space , but there are no obstacles or hardships whatsoever. All the crew talks about are their love interests , all they do is fawn over someone . Where the fuck is my space opera ?
David Pappas
Aug 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Fist Axiom book was better. This one was awful. Far to much 'dreaming' introspection of no relevance to story. And yet another 'strong' female lead written by a man who may have not idea how to develop this character. With a childish and clingy lesbian lover which almost takes over the story. Lots of shallow characters for sure. Can't recommend. Hard to believe this is a senior SF editor of any kind. Sort of gives us an idea of the depths to which SF has fallen in recent years.
Daniel
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

I managed to rate Tim Pratt's previous book (The Wrong Stars) 3.5 stars, despite some serious issues I had with the book. I did not feel that those issues, specifically the unnecessary focus on a homosexual relationship, was as much an issue here.

The Axiom is the name for an ancient alien race that are currently in a deep hibernation. They've set some automated systems in place to watch over the galaxy, which humanity has
Ken Richards
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Tim Pratt makes a very good fist of the difficult 'middle' book of a trilogy with the second of his 'Axiom' series. You do have to have read 'The Wrong Stars' to make much sense of the backstory though. This is not a standalone narrative. The key revelations about the activities of the Liars and the reasons for their hiding of the existence of the slumbering very bad indeed super-aliens of the Axiom are all covered in the last book, and re required for un understanding of the challenge
Joe Frazier
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi

When describing a new book (OK, not that new, it dropped in September 2018) from an author you may not know, it’s often tempting to compare it to existing works in a mashup. I will lapse into that weak expedient – the Axiom series is a like a Firefly crew with the big, bad Alliance replaced by the secretive Axiom super-race spiced it up with an alien and augmented humans, and has the fate of the universe resting on the capable and endearing shoulders of Callie and her crew. [Full disclosure: I r
Sara
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Note: I received an Advance Reading Copy of this book through NetGalley for an honest review.

I bought the first part of the Axiom series, The Wrong Stars, on a whim in a sale. When I saw the second part, The Dreaming Stars, up for review on NetGalley I couldn’t help myself, and requested it. Luckily I got it, because I really like this series, and can’t wait for part three (tentatively titled The Forbidden Stars).

After the adventures of Callie and her crew in The Wrong Stars, they are on the hun
Kam
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This review is based on an ARC given to me for free by the publisher, Angry Robot Books. This does not in any way affect my review.

This book is slated for release on September 4, 2018.

... The Wrong Stars dealt with a rather weighty set of themes involving history and identity via the alien race called the Liars. The Dreaming Stars, however, is not as weighty, since it focuses less on thematic underpinnings and more on the plot. While it does touch upon questions connected to the neuroscientific
Shannon Clark
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So this is the second book in a series (of what feels like more than three books) so it does have the sense of setting things up for the future but not yet answering every question or resolving even concern.

And in the interest of full disclosure I know Tim and family through lots of mutual friends and shared attending of various science fiction conventions over the years (long before he had published so much) so while we aren’t close friends he is an author whose books I both enjoy and buy to s
Joey Nardinelli
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought I’d have read this in about a week given how intensely I liked The Wrong Stars. The last 40% of this one is great and hits the same sort of fun, weird, wild, and exciting watermark of Pratt’s last Axiom novel. The first 60% of the novel just felt like a lot of rehashing and unnecessary character development punctuated by...nothing. There was no interwoven action or plot movement that wasn’t moving from Point A to Point B to Point C. There are some microscopic moments building up to the ...more
Rafael Morillo
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dreaming Stars follows the crew of the White Raven as they embark on another adventure in another system. Callie and her crew travel to the planet Owain where a Human colony has created an environment similar to the one on Earth. The crew of the White Raven is investigating nanoparticles called the swarm, which transform everything into computronium. The crew discovers an Axiom facility with hibernating aliens which are playing in a vast Axiom Virtual Reality. The crew including Sebastien wo ...more
Kruunch
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Axiom series, Tim Pratt expands upon the crew of the White Raven as they seek to recover from being dead and go onto investigate the next Axiom installation.

The premise of the book is fairly basic but the fun characters and solid character development make this book a joy to read. The Axiom installation is very creatively done, employing virtual reality (on a god-like scale) and nanites. I found the climax to be a nice twist.

My only complaint with the book was that the Axi
Crystal (Goddess in the Stacks)
I don't read a lot of hard sci-fi. It's just not where my interests lie. But every once in a while, I do enjoy a good space opera. Firefly/Serenity (before I learned about the Confederate connection, dammit), Dark Matter, even the occasional episode of The Expanse. Tim Pratt has written a fantastic space opera in his Axiom series. (The Forbidden Stars should be coming out sometime in 2019.) The story started with The Wrong Stars and continues here.

First, the diversity is fantastic. The crew runs
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Stars Beyond (Stars Uncharted, #2)
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Alliance (Linesman, #2)
  • Confluence (Linesman, #3)
  • Stars Uncharted
  • Edges (Inverted Frontier #1)
  • World Engines: Destroyer
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • Linesman (Linesman, #1)
  • Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)
  • The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution #2)
  • Light of Impossible Stars (Embers of War, #3)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space #1)
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • The Bohr Maker (The Nanotech Succession, #1)
Also writes as T.A. Pratt and T. Aaron Payton ...more

Axiom (3 books)
  • The Wrong Stars (Axiom, #1)
  • The Forbidden Stars