Start by marking “A Hundred White Daffodils” as Want to Read:
A Hundred White Daffodils

A Hundred White Daffodils

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In A Hundred White Daffodils - an enlightening and typically endearing collection of prose and poetry - the late author of five highly regarded books of verse reflects on her writing life, growing spirituality, passionate hobbies, and ultimately fatal struggle with leukemia. Jane Kenyon is one of the most beloved poets on the contemporary American scene; this book shows us ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Graywolf Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Hundred White Daffodils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hundred White Daffodils

Kristin Boldon
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, own, shelf-sitter
I love this book so much. ALL THE STARS!
Lisa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed A Hundred White Daffodils because of the glimpses this work gave into Jane Kenyon's personal thoughts and why translations, gardens, and nature are so important to her. The Akhmatova translations are absolutely wonderful and worth the read on their own. The biggest draw back to the essays is the repetition to some themes and information that becomes nuisance after a while.

I look forward to pick up her poetry collection from the library because I'm drawn to her poetic voice
Mitchell McInnis
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
My relatively low rating of this book has nothing to do with the quality of Kenyon's work. I'm a big fan of her work, and consider it precious. The book itself was not a well-conceived project, though it has its worthwhile highlights. The Akhmatova translations are gorgeous! And any fan of both poets will revel in the delicate and delicious connections between these two poets. Much of the rest of the book is collected prose, a bunch of newspaper articles Kenyon wrote, which are fun to read, and ...more
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Lots of good stuff here. The essays, the newspaper columns, the interviews and the Anna Akhmatova poems. I wish Jane Kenyon lived longer to write so much more.
Tamara Murphy
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, beautiful words. I knew I would love getting to know Jane Kenyon, but didn't expect to bond to her work quite so quickly. Kenyon's husband, U.S. Poet Laureate Donald Hall, curated this collection of her prose after her too-young death to leukemia. While the selections seem a bit disconnected (everything from short newspaper columns to Kenyon's translations of Russian poetry to interview transcripts with Bill Moyers and others), the effect of the accumulated whole provides a beautiful snapsho ...more
Kitty
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I particularly enjoyed the translations of Anna Akhmatova -- and this :

The Moment of Peonies:

This year the plants exceed every expectation. Suddenly they’ve come into their full adult beauty, not strapping, but stauesque – the beauty of women, as Chekhov says, “with plump shoulders” and with long hair held precariously in place by a few stout pins. They are white, voluminous, and here and there display flecks of raspberry red on the edges of their fleshy, heavily scented petals.
These are not Pr
Patricia
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This volume collects translations of Akhmatova's poetry, newspaper columns, and interviews. The columns and interviews, which discuss her spirituality, struggles with depression, and pleasure in nature, are beautifully written and thought-provoking in themselves. They also provide a valuable context for appreciating Kenyon's poetry. The interview with Bill Moyers was especially wonderful. Here is Kenyon commenting on her poem "Let Evening Come."
"There are things in this life that we must endure
Mike Tracy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful introduction to her work, the book starts off with a series of Kenyon's translations of the poems of Anna Akhmatova, a poet I was unfamiliar with; some columns Kenyon wrote for her local newspaper; several interviews (the one with Bill Moyers is particularly interesting) and, finally, a few of her own poems. This book is an eloquent apology for a life of art, quietly lived. The reader won't get much detail about Kenyon's life, other than what she tells about herself in the columns, i ...more
Margie
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently re-read this collection of Jane's essays, interviews, and newspaper columns. I'm a fan of her poetry but only one of her poems was included. She invites us into the most ordinary acts (raking spring mud) making us love them, love her, love the words that make them shine. I want to write like her - guileless, with wit and humor. This book was published posthumously by her husband, Donald Hall. I'm sorry she's gone.
Leslie
I only read Kenyon's translation of Anna Akhmatova's Twenty Poems, which was only 30 pages of a 248 pg book. That is why there is no rating. However, I loved the poems so Kenyon must have done a good job translating them.
J
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was nice reading some of Ms. Kenyon's essays about gardening. They have much the same tone as her poetry but with more of a open and humorous style. If you like Kenyon's poetry, I'd recommend this book for the essays.
Marie
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Jane Kenyon's simple, evocative style. Her translation of Anna Akhmatova's poetry is exquisite: you can feel yourself right there, in Russia, on the coldest winter day... Her poems about everyday life and everyday emotions makes me feel calm...and sometimes a bit melancholy...
Janie
Dec 18, 2007 rated it liked it
it's sort of a view into a daily life of jane kenyon thru. newspaper articles that she wrote. it's tiny bit "ordinary" and doesn't let itself stretch into the universal, into the beatufil. her translations at the beginning of the book are wonderful, though!
Mary
Sep 30, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a collection of essays and some of them are wonderful, some less so. The essays about gardening in New Hampshire are my favorites.
Nicole
Aug 25, 2007 rated it liked it
amazing translations of akhmatova
Amanda
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read for the Akhmatova translations alone.
Jerry Dreesen
Mar 05, 2012
Adrienne
May 06, 2007
Brandi Amara Skyy
i borrowed this book from the library because various authors reference Everything I Know About Poetry. i decided to test the rest of the content before purchasing it. And i'm glad i did.

Some books are just not meant for certain people -- and that's okay. This book and Kenyon's words weren't meant for me, but it may be meant for you so take it upon yourself to read it and garner your own opinions.

i (obviously) love the essay i reference above and found another gem on the page adjacent to it. T
Amy Lee
  • Little Girls in Church
  • One with Others: [a little book of her days]
  • Nobody Home: Writing, Buddhism, and Living in Places
  • Special Orders: Poems
Jane Kenyon was an American poet and translator. Her work is often characterized as simple, spare, and emotionally resonant.
More about Jane Kenyon

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99